Beendare 18-Aug-22
12yards 18-Aug-22
tm 18-Aug-22
Will 18-Aug-22
Ambush 18-Aug-22
Buck Watcher 18-Aug-22
carcus 19-Aug-22
17-Aug-22
I just purchased the Hoyt RX7 and need to get arrows. First new bow I have bought in 25 years. I will be shooting 29 or 29.5" arrows at 65 lbs. Mainly whitetail hunting but will be hunting pronghorns next year so thinking about micro arrows.

I was shooting goldtips with feathers. I am going to go to the blazer vanes. Is a 300 shaft too much spine? I find that the arrow calculators give me lots of options. Not sure if it is bad to be overspined or what. Unless it is a footed arrow or a heavy arrow I will likely be shooting a 125 grain fixed blade head.

Is a 300 axis a bad choice? Any help is greatly appreciated as I can overthink things and am trying to keep this simple.

17-Aug-22
Just to be clear you only looking for answers from the ignorant? If so I reckon I'll give you one :) I'd think you would be good with 300's probably could use 340 too. Gold tips hunters a good choice if you already are shooting them. Been shoot the pro hunters for years with good success and they are a tough arrow as well.

17-Aug-22
Victory 350 .166 Carbon/stainless about 240 a dozen but they will spine well for you!! They will have a 50 grain half out so 125 grain head would give you 175 grains up front and that would be perfect for you. Shawn

17-Aug-22
You are saying Carbon to carbon length is going to be 29 to 29.5” and pulling 65 lbs?

At that long of an arrow you will be lucky if your not under spined with a bunch of weight up front.

My set up is on a RX1 ultra. I shoot 5 mm Axis with a 31” draw , 72 lbs, 28.5” of carbon to carbon shaft, 16 grain Hit insert and a 125 grain broad head. It tunes but I don’t have a lot of wiggle room for weight up front.

Bottom line I wouldn’t worry one but about being over spined if I was you.

17-Aug-22
John...Uhhuh...I meant it was "for me" not to be answered by the ignorant! funny guy.

My draw length is 29.2" or so. I do not want to draw the arrow past the riser so I wanted the arrow long enough to not pull the end of the arrow (excluding the fieldpoint or bh) past the riser.

17-Aug-22
"29.2" or so" That's long, and a little too vague, so how did you come to that measurement?

17-Aug-22
The proshop guy said I could shoot a draw length anywhere between 29 and 29.5" and be fine.

17-Aug-22
One more example for you. When I first got my RX1 Ultra I was shooting 340 spine shafts. With Carbon to carbon measuring 28.5” and a 100 grain point I had to turn my bow down to 64 lbs.

I always thought bows came in .5” increments for draw lengths.

17-Aug-22
300 Axis is a good choice. Run with it and don't look back.

18-Aug-22
Not an ignorant question.

I see many threads where “pro shops “ sold guys hunting arrows that were underspined when BHs added. FP’s are forgiving of spine, BHs aren’t- especially big BHs.

Overspined works ( in a modern compound) and makes for a more durable hunt arrow….under spine can cause tuning issues.300’s at 30”/65# here with std insert/145g BH. 300’s will work if you dont overdo your tip weight.

18-Aug-22
I'd go with a 300 spine for sure at your arrow length and specs. I would check out the Victory RIPs as well as your Axis. See which one weights out the way you want it. Do you want a little lighter option for the Pronghorn hunts? Not that one arrow couldn't do it all, but I'd maybe set up a couple arrows, a heavier one for whitetail, a lighter flatter shooting one for pronghorn. But that's just me.

18-Aug-22
Over spined is much better than under spined, especially if you are using a release. With a center shot riser and release everything should go right down the middle.

18-Aug-22
I shoot 70# @ 29.5" draw, arrows are around 28.75 (going on memory). I shoot Axis 340's, and have for years. Fly well and work, for me. I've tried 300's a few times and they have been a PITA to tune.

I think you could do it, it's probably just my bow. Pretty sure I'm on the Easton chart's bubble between the two shaft sizes.

18-Aug-22
Are the Easton spine charts still from the 1960's?

If in doubt or close , then go the next spine up. Only benefits and no detriments.

18-Aug-22
Axis is a big thumbs up. I would put in the 50 grain brass inserts. Made in USA too. The Blazers are a big thumbs down. FlexFletch FFP-360 or Q2i Fusion 3.5 or 4". 300s will be fine. I shoot 300s at 58# and 72# (same exact arrow). Nearly impossible to be over spined with today's compounds.

19-Aug-22
Axis 340 or 300 will be fine

• Sitka Gear