Mule Power 22-Aug-22
buckeye 22-Aug-22
hobbes 25-Aug-22
Basinboy 25-Aug-22
stealthycat 25-Aug-22
PoudreCanyon 25-Aug-22
elkmtngear 25-Aug-22
21-Aug-22
I will be truck camping this year, heck I will be glamping in my travel trailer. I've done the pack in hunting before, and it can be fun as heck, but I prefer the comfort of a truck camp as I get older.

Curious who is doing what for camp this year. Pics are always a bonus.

21-Aug-22
Wall tents. But close to the road to stay moblile. Not sure ill ever pack in again. Other than maybe an overnighter. Sometimes seems like sleeping out there is the fastest way to see if theres elk there. They talk more at night. Dont hear anything overnight, move.

21-Aug-22
There is also a third option of truck camping with a couple of overnight pack ins. The best. Unfortunately, I am not hunting out west this year.

21-Aug-22
I will be tenting it within walking distance of the truck (most amenities). I have a smaller tent and smaller equipment for spike camp a couple of miles in.

21-Aug-22

Huntsolo's embedded Photo
Huntsolo's embedded Photo
Come season, I’ll be swinging in the zone! I prefer truck camping too but it’s not practical for this hunt.

21-Aug-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
I’ll be truck camping and packing elk

21-Aug-22

21-Aug-22
Brad.......there is no doubt. :)

21-Aug-22
truck camping and spike camp

21-Aug-22

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
As always I’ll be roughing it In my 32’ camper. It’s especially nice on days like this.

21-Aug-22

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Packing into my favorite spot friday. The area had a lot of moisture this year all the way through June. I can’t wait to get up there.

21-Aug-22

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
It’s a great spot with a small spring right where we camp, and surrounded by great elk country in every direction.

21-Aug-22
We are staying in a cabin and doing overnights with tents when we get into them. Scouted last week and we got into elk and seen lots of sign. We got plans A-F ready and we will stay mobile until we figure them out.

21-Aug-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I’ll be doing both. The tent is nice if it gets to nasty.

21-Aug-22
Plans A-F.....is that aw f***? LOL

Good luck.

21-Aug-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I’ll still spike in for a night if necessary, but I mostly rough it like Wyobullshooter.

Matt

21-Aug-22

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
I’m going to call it ‘truck’ camping! :-)

21-Aug-22

137buck's embedded Photo
137buck's embedded Photo
For most of elk season, it'll be my travel trailer, and spike out from there, but I also will throw stuff in the back of the truck and head out with that.

21-Aug-22

billygoat's embedded Photo
billygoat's embedded Photo
Two trips with 2 horses, so better amenities than backpacking. First trip is an early 5 day hunt by myself about5-1/2 miles in, primarily sitting wallows. Second trip is with 2 buddies about 8-1/2 miles in.

21-Aug-22
Truck camping. But have everything along to spike out if needed.

21-Aug-22
Bowsite at its finest!

21-Aug-22

Jordan's embedded Photo
Jordan's embedded Photo
Jordan's embedded Photo
My camper for this year in WY and CO....this was in unit 15
Jordan's embedded Photo
My camper for this year in WY and CO....this was in unit 15
Last year's camp

21-Aug-22

Jordan's embedded Photo
Jordan's embedded Photo

21-Aug-22
Truck camping with a Kodiak Canvas Tent. I will have my bivy gear with me though just in case.

21-Aug-22
Truck camping with a Kodiak Canvas Tent. I will have my bivy gear with me though just in case.

21-Aug-22

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Camp trailer for me, with a spike camp available if I find elk too far in to hunt from there. A well rested hunter is a better hunter, especially for a long grind when weather can get bad.

21-Aug-22
Base camp tent for me...with bivy camp at the ready...just in case. First ever hunt in New Mexico. I'm told the bivy camp likely won't be necessary in the unit I drew. Better to have and not need.....

21-Aug-22
So true Jaq! MANY years ago I loved my wall tent…until. 8” of wet, heavy snow later and I said never again. That was in ‘92 and I’ve been a happy camper ever since!

21-Aug-22
I’ll be backpack style camping at the truck to stay mobile. Hunting a NM unit with a lot of roads.

21-Aug-22
Lou hit the nail on the head...

21-Aug-22

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
Start here. Then a couple 3/4 day trips into spike camp. I try to be in the high camp on the weekends when locals are coming in from the road.

It’s nice to do a little of both. Hit the back country camp then regroup down at the Hilton on the Hill.

21-Aug-22
Base camp for me with bivy gear at the ready! Seems to be the popular method! Good luck all!

ElkNut

21-Aug-22
I’ll be doing a little bit of both.

21-Aug-22
Wall tent as a base camp. Stay mobile. Got the seek in case we need to pack in. Best of both worlds.

21-Aug-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Making good use of the awning supports
Making good use of the awning supports
I'll be truck camping with my 30' toy hauler but also prepared to spike in and most likely will.

22-Aug-22
I'm Glamping in an Airbnb cabin in the 3 states (Wyo, Az. and Ut.) I'm hunting elk this fall.

Although, 1 of them doesn't have a Hot Tub..........

Good luck, Robb

22-Aug-22
Both for us. Good luck to all!

22-Aug-22
It used to be a common theme that truck camping wasn’t as effective. You had to back pack in to find elk. Now with pod casts, Internet forums etc. There seems to be more people of all recreation type, further in than by the roads.

Maybe it’s just my personal skewed experience.

But the last time I busted my tail to get past where everyone else was there were 3 small spike or bivy setups within a couple miles

Gave up that spot and killed an elk 1/4 from a very busy road. Straight up a steep grade from the road. Easy pack out Probably better off in a comfy camper and starting at a road where there isn’t convenient parking, or it goes straight up and a lot of downfall at the road.

22-Aug-22

maxracx's embedded Photo
maxracx's embedded Photo
Going to base camp from my little pull behind hybrid camper and spike camp from there. Photo from this summer, can't wait for Sept.

22-Aug-22

CBFROMND 's embedded Photo
CBFROMND 's embedded Photo
Good thread.... love to see peoples camps.. gets me even more excited to get going if thats possible..

22-Aug-22
Oops sorry won't let me fix image..

22-Aug-22
Stix, I sometimes hunt from home too. Killed my last bull about a 10 minute drive away, 200 yards uphill from a busy county road. The previous three week battle in the backcountry between the Sitka Army and the Kuiu Warriors had pushed a bunch of elk down closer to roads..

22-Aug-22
Travel trailer as far up the valley as we can get it. We will have camp gear to spike out as well.

This is an area that gets picked over hard in the rifle season, which is 6 point or better. As a result there are a few ridiculous 5 points kicking around that are fair game in the ‘any bull’ archery season. Will also have mule deer and goat tags in camp. Can’t wait!!!

22-Aug-22
I have no access to private, but have a bit of National Forest that everyone drives past because it doesn't seem "elky". With the pressure in CO now, lots of places that dont seem elky turn into little elk hidey-holes after three weeks of no stop harassment by archers, muzzleloaders, and rifle bear hunters.

What a lot of "one week" hunters don't realize is that where elk were living on Sept 2 often isn't where they are on Sept 20. I often hear "we found lots of week old sign, but no elk"...

22-Aug-22
Lou…Shhhhhh! Lol

22-Aug-22

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Truck camping

22-Aug-22
Truck camp and a Gazelle tent. Sold the camper this summer, will be tenting it for the foreseeable future.

22-Aug-22
Truck camping

22-Aug-22
I'll be camping with the Rainbow Family this year. May not see any elk but the hallucinations should be epic.

22-Aug-22
Robb… not hot tub! My deepest sympathy. You’ve really lowered your standards! Lmao Good luck!

22-Aug-22
I'd camp with the rainbow folks If it meant I was hunting elk! You guys and gals have fun and be safe, it's nice to see everybody's camp setup.

25-Aug-22

hobbes's embedded Photo
hobbes's embedded Photo
I used to mostly backpack in and tent camp. Year before last I tent camped at the truck mostly. We bought a small trailer last year and I stayed in it multiple times and really like that. Getting old is doing that to me. I'll likely do both this year because I've got a llama that's ready for packing in this year.

25-Aug-22

Basinboy's embedded Photo
Basinboy's embedded Photo
Going to spike in this year

25-Aug-22
truck but enabled to pack in as well ... I want to be as mobile as possible

25-Aug-22

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
All the comforts of home - day hunts out of a camp like this all season..

25-Aug-22

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Truck Camping, but definitely not "Glamping" !

I like the ability to start my morning from multiple trailheads, instead of being locked into a possible "no elk" situation.

• Sitka Gear