Zbone 28-Sep-22
Zbone 08-Oct-22
Zbone 08-Oct-22
fuzzy 10-Oct-22
fuzzy 11-Oct-22
fuzzy 11-Oct-22
Treeline 08-Nov-22
22-Aug-22
To try to stay on topic for this site, and in anticipation of trying to pass the next freaking 8 days before I hit elk camp WY........curious as to what knives you fellers prefer to use on these elk and in camp?

Personally, I have a decades old stainless steel Ducks Ulimited knife in a green cordura holster I've hauled around for forever. Got it and used it initially for free diving and snorkeling in Mexico and the Caribbean back when my 24 year old was a toddler and my wife and I used to go there somewhat regularly. I can't seem to leave it behind. Not a great knife but a good all around utility knife.

I also have a cutco utility knife with the gut hook. After years of hearing Brad go on and on about them I decided to fork over the hundee and try it. I've sent it back once for factory sharpening. I love this knife. Thanks Brad!!!

I have a Gerber trapper/skinner knife that I love to use to make those long cuts through the hide to start pulling back the hide....then separating all that fun internal gooey connective crap between the fat layer and the hide.

Then I have my handy dandy Outdoors Edge scalpel knife that is so fine for the finer butchery and silverskin removal.

What's in your Knife holster?! :)

22-Aug-22
Knifes are tools to me. Like screwdrivers or a wrench. I don’t have any attraction to them other than for completing the job. I currently use an Outdoor Edge Razorblaze for all of my field work. I use an Outdoor Edge processing kit for all of the final processing work.

22-Aug-22
Outdoor edge

22-Aug-22
Its all about the steel quality. My current favorite is S90v.... either the Benchmade Altitude or the Steep country - they bone out a couple animals with no touch up required

22-Aug-22
I collect Randall knives, and have always enjoyed a custom hand built knife with quality steel. That said, I carry an Outdoor Edge folder in the field now. Nothing like having the equivalent of 10 razor sharp knives for the weight of one traditional fixed blade. For processing I use a set of old butcher knives from my Father. They’re high carbon and easy to keep razor sharp with a few swipes on a honing steel.

Matt

22-Aug-22
I carry a Havalon in my pack. Works great for me.

22-Aug-22
Cutco blaze orange. Smooth edge

22-Aug-22
Outdoor Edge Razor Lite and Havalon.

22-Aug-22
My go to hunting knife is an old Buck Pathfinder that was a Christmas gift in 1989. I have newer and "better" knives but that's the one that usually gets to go hunting.

22-Aug-22
A 5” victorinox boning knife and a havalon in my pack. Kershaw clip pocket knife in my pants pocket.

22-Aug-22
I love Kershaw knives too.........damn........I think my son ended up with my drop point folder.

22-Aug-22

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo

WapitiBob's Link
Basically a Benchmade altitude but a lot less money.

22-Aug-22
Cold steel Pendleton hunter, and a Gerber magnum folding hunter.

22-Aug-22

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
One year my buddy and I were cutting up an elk he killed on a mountain in Colorado. I took out my fancy plastic havalon. He took out an old Buck knife and said “this was my grandpas. Wonder how much stuff it’s gutted and cleaned?”

After that hunt I thought about those little mementos that we can leave behind to those that come after. I put my havalon in a drawer and bought a Bark River classic drop point (this picture). It’s done a decent amount of duty since then and been carried in Africa and several states.

I have about a dozen nice knives now. But this is the one I carry

22-Aug-22

Patdel's embedded Photo
Patdel's embedded Photo
My cousin made this for me. I really like this knife. Handle is from a shed i picked up and gave him years ago. Think the steel is from an old cable.

22-Aug-22

Patdel's embedded Photo
Patdel's embedded Photo

22-Aug-22
Depperschmit custom, Allen custom caping knife, Victorinox skinning knife, and Havalon Piranta for all around work.

22-Aug-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Have literally dozens of knives, (actually a knife collection and really don't know how it started,,, ya buy one, then another ya like, then another, then another, etc) from Bucks, Kershaws, Ka-Bars, CRKTs, Victorinox, Brownings, SOG, Case, Schrades, Old Timers, Gerber, Ontario Knife Co, Old Hickory, Dester Russell, Chicago Cutlery, Glock, Morakniv, Havalons, Outdoor Edges, some vintage knives, some homemade knives, and a bunch of el-cheapos, etc, but this is my favorite - Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight, Limited Edition with the supersteel CPM S90V... I carry it every day all day or my Spyderco Dragonfly II, depending on the pants I wear...

22-Aug-22
I carry a Cabelas Alaskan that’s made by Buck for the heavy duty stuff, a Havalon boning knife, and my trusty ole Wyoming Knife.

22-Aug-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
bigeasygator's embedded Photo
Carry an Amtac Northman in my pocket as a utility knife, an Outdoor Edge with replaceable blades as a backup gutting/skinning knife in my bino harness, and a full size knife on my pack. Lately they’ve been a rotation of various models from Half Face Blades. I’m partial to blue.

23-Aug-22
Like several others, my go-to knife is an Outdoor Edge Razorlite. In particular, I have the Pope and Young branded blaze orange version. It's been used on a whole bunch of critters in numerous states. It's hard to see replacing it though I also have a Benchmade Steep Country for good steel. I haven't actually used it yet. I also have several Kershaw pocket knives that have been used to cut the occasional animal. For butchering and kitchen work I use Victorinox.

23-Aug-22

Thornton's embedded Photo
I usually use a smaller skinning knife for everything, but this last bull I used a Gerber Strongarm. It is a bigger knife with a very thick, heavy blade and I found it to be extremely easy to skin and bone this elk. I shot him around 0730 and was back in my truck a mile and a half away and headed back to Kansas before 1100. Boned him out, sawed off his antlers, and had everything packed in meat and feed sacks and slid it all down the mountain on a heavy plastic Pelican sled.

23-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
My full kill kit including Butcher gloves

23-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I don't know why the pic posted like that and the Fix Image goes to 500 error.....

Anyways all put back and ready to roll

Good luck, Robb

23-Aug-22
I like good blades.... I carry 3 in my pack-a Northern Knives/3 Dog Knife MAK, a Montana Knife Company Blackfoot and a Havalon for caping.

23-Aug-22

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
Second the Ridgebelt. Very nice knife with CPM-S90V steel. 90$ was a bargin. Got mine ion sale 30% off. Couple that with an Outdoor Edge Razorlite and I'm good to go.

Anybody remember Rob Mckibbin. Used to post here, haven't seen him in a while. He does some beautiful work.

23-Aug-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
"After that hunt I thought about those little mementos that we can leave behind to those that come after...."

Bake, I can relate to that. This was my Father's old Buck Pathfinder. I just love how worn down the blade is from years of use and resharpening. It's one of my most cherished mementos.

Matt

23-Aug-22
The clover is pretty cool! Hope it brings good luck!

23-Aug-22
I was very happy having only a Havalon with me for butchering etc, but on a caribou gong show where I was down all my arrows and riding a lively caribou into the lake I was remiss that my Havalon blade snapped on me as my only weapon. A fixed blade would certainly have trimmed the hand to hand combat time in my favour. I now think of that on remote hunts and pack one with.

23-Aug-22

This was also my Father's pocket knife. As you can see, he definitely got his money's worth out of a knife. ;-)

Matt

23-Aug-22
Nice Wapiti Bob, thats a good deal. If I didn’t have an in with Benchmade….I would have bought that…..I like that design.

My only complaint about the Altitude is it can snag my gloves ( I always wear Nitrile or vinyl gloves)

23-Aug-22

And here is my Father's butchering knives and steel, that I still use to cut up meat.

Matt

26-Aug-22

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Currently my go-to knife is a Benchmade Mountain Saddle Mountain Skinner, love this knife and I'm a fan of Benchmade. Having said that, I also love Mora Knives, always carry a Havalon for caping and also have a Fallkniven F1 (a great knife). I also have a KOA Alpha Wolf and Elk Hunter (great knives) and a Helle Kjellkniven (love Helle blades). Always have a Benchmade Griptilian in my pocket.

26-Aug-22
Bowbender,

Rob is still around, he just lurks a little now and then. He is knocking out some amazing knives man and he is super busy!

I have 4 of his knives and my SIL has one as well.

#Robmniche - Niche Custom Blades

I usually talk to him a couple times a week. He is a great guy and makes awesome knives!

26-Aug-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
My go to knife this year is this drop point hunter in CPM20cv. I ran it a little harder than normal, 63.5hrc vs 62.5hrc of past to see how it holds up. Good luck guys… out elk starts in the morning.

27-Aug-22
I love seeing the family heirloom knives

27-Aug-22
I use bark river knives. Convex blade really holds an edge. I also will use the Ironwill ultralight knives

27-Aug-22
Well when Imn the hunt for whitetails I have a few different knives with me. I have a few different cold steel knive, ultimate Hunter and master Hunter and some spyderco folders etc... I will carry at least two woth me while out. However, whenever it comes down to gutting a deer I pull out my mora knives. When the deer is hanging then I take out the butcher set from outdoor knives.

28-Aug-22
Case full size Trapper with as-ground blades......not chrome plated. Hollow-ground blades hold a razor edge longer than any other I've used. The Trapper cost $42 until the Biden administration. Now $67.

28-Aug-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
I did my entire elk yesterday from gutting, skinning, quartering then taking all the knees apart and this would still slice phone book paper. That said I must be the rarity as I do only carry one knife.

28-Aug-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo

28-Aug-22
Nicely done RJ!

28-Aug-22
Anybody have a link to those cloverleaf knives.... I really like... Thanks...

29-Aug-22
No link to the cloverleaf knives?

29-Aug-22

Jordan's Link
Rob is on instagram it appears.

29-Aug-22
No ESEE Knives

29-Aug-22
RJ Hunt I'm a one knife guy as well

29-Aug-22
Thanks Jordon, much obliged... Dang, the guy makes some beautiful knives....

29-Aug-22
Thanks guys. I am a hunter who got tired of not having what I wanted in a blade so a few years ago I set out to make myself a knife that worked the way I expected and kinda took me down the rabbit hole and here I am. Is how I make my living now. I am a blessed man.

30-Aug-22
Beautiful knives Robert, thanks for sharing...

30-Aug-22
Thank you

30-Aug-22

After reading the long and storied history of the Randall Knife Company, I began collecting them about 20 years ago. I acquired a modest collection of never-been-used knives, complete with original sheaths and paper work. I think I bought my last one around 2010. Back then, they had a 1 year waiting list on new orders. Now, it's over 5 years, and they limit it to one order per household every 3 months! They've proven to be a decent investment. I could sell many of my Randalls for more than twice what I paid for them.

Yeah, I know some may think it's silly to buy knives that only sit in a display case, I know my wife does. But isn't that true for just about any collectable item? I just love quality knives.

Matt

30-Aug-22
I was fortunate enough to talk Robert into selling me the RK knife above. Hopefully I’ll put it through the wringer in a week

30-Aug-22
Thanks Altitude!

GG… those are some cool knives. No need to explain your affection for a good knife I built an entire shop so I could make them. Be well guys… good luck hunting and be safe.

30-Aug-22
To be clear he was not actively selling the knife. I contacted him and asked him to sell it to me. I don’t want him getting in trouble for selling.

30-Aug-22
A 35 year old buck 110 folder is what I keep coming back too.

01-Sep-22

Skipper's embedded Photo
Here’s a photo of the two knifes they offer
Skipper's embedded Photo
Here’s a photo of the two knifes they offer

Skipper's Link
Two really good options here. Great s90v knife for the price. They also just launched a super light replaceable blade knife that looks cool. Uses same or similar blades to havalon. I own the fixed blade and love it for the price.

02-Sep-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Just received my Niche knife today. Wow the quality, ergonomics and ridiculous edge are a work of art. Thanks RJ Hunt

02-Sep-22

02-Sep-22

02-Sep-22
Montana Knife Company Speedgoat and Stonewall Skinner. Sppedgoat will be on my pack shoulder strap and Stonewall in my kill kit. Great knives, great company, and USA made. I will also have a cheap Boker Kalashnikov in my pocket.

02-Sep-22
What about folders

02-Sep-22
Thanks Jay. Hope it serves you very well on your hunt.

02-Sep-22
RJ Hunt,

What kind of steel do you use for your knives?

Matt

02-Sep-22

GG Robert told me it Is CPM20cv at 63.5hrc with a very fine edge.

02-Sep-22
GG, I use many different ones but I do most in CPM 20cv in the 62.5-63.5hrc range. That said I have good heat treat and tested knives in: A2, 1095 (w1) ,W2 ,S35vn ,Elmax ,20cv, 3v ,O1 and Magnacut Some are stainless and some are standard high carbon steels.

03-Sep-22
Thanks, RJ. You've worked with some quality steels. Any specific reasons you do most in CPM 20cv? I see it ranks very high in edge retention. My daily folder has CPM 110V steel. It holds an edge very well, too, but it's a PITA to sharpen. Is the 20cv a little more forgiving to sharpen?

Matt

03-Sep-22
For me… I like 20cv for its resistant to abrasion (animal hides) and such. Any high abrasion steel can be hard to sharpen and is compounded when you have a thick edge you find on many factory knives. A thin edge cuts better and is much easier to sharpen.

03-Sep-22
Luv listening to you knowledgeful guys talking about steel, especially an experienced knifemaker like RJ...

Noticed RJ didn't mention CPM S90V... Was told my S90V Spyderco above was a super steel... Is this true?

03-Sep-22
Zbone I have done a few of my knives in s90v and did not mention it as from a makers standpoint is more difficult to work that a steel like 20cv but minimal gain, maybe none in performance. Where I think s90 gets is live from commercial makers is they can run it pretty soft, in the 59-60 range and still get good performance. Where custom makers can do different things with steel as not constrained to costs and heat treat limitations

03-Sep-22
Way cool, thank you sir...

04-Sep-22

Grey Ghost's Link
Zbone,

Here's a good article that ranks the various knife steels in the 4 common categories, edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance, and ease of sharpening. As you can see, there are tradeoffs for every type of steel. For example, the steels that rank high in edge retention generally rank lower in toughness and ease of sharpening.

Matt

04-Sep-22
GG, When I asked him to sell me the knife above. Robert asked what I would use it for. He advised, he did not build it for splitting wood for kindling. I do not use knives for the “bushcraft” trend.

I will use it for cutting up animals and light knife duties. He mentioned the very properties your talking about. Great edge retention cut up an entire elk or moose. But he thins the edge for sharpness and ease of sharpening.

I have hammers, hatchets, tomahawks, saws, chainsaws. I do not use my knife as a splitting maul. I think it’s important to know the strengths and weakness of a steel and use it accordingly.

Or have cheap knifes laying around everywhere like I also do.

04-Sep-22

That's good advise, Altitude.

I learned a tough lesson about "super steels" when I had Phil Wilson make this set of knives for me out of CPM 10V hardened to 61-62 Rockwell. I've never had knives that retain an edge longer. Unfortunately that edge retention came with a price. I was using the smaller knife to cut a thumb-sized willow branch,. I foolishly twisted the knife as I was cutting and put a dime-sized chip in the blade. I was sick to my stomach.

Fortunately, Phil was willing to re-grind the blade for me. So, now I have a very expensive caping knife with a big stag handle. ;-)

Matt

04-Sep-22
All so true. Everything in knife steels/geometry are a trade off. If you make a knife to be good at everything it will be great at nothing. In my knife making career I have found a knife to be a specific tool and must be made for the task at hand.

04-Sep-22
GG… those are a fine pair of knives there.

04-Sep-22

Thanks, RJ, Phil Wilson makes some beautiful knives, like yourself. Here's what the smaller knife looks like after Phil ground the chip out of it. It's still a very useful knife, it just looks a little out of proportion.

Matt

04-Sep-22
Matt I'm sorry about the knife damage but damn that's a sexy little knife now!

05-Sep-22
Thanks for the link GG...

07-Sep-22

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Brad Zinker filet knife with a thumb grip that I asked for to use in skinning mahi mahi it works,Brad Zinker camp knife just a great handy blade and a Brad Zinker knife with a gut hook. I have known him for many moons.Lewis

07-Sep-22

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
Tom High from Rocky Mountain Scrimshaw the first one was my carry knife I dressed an elk,mule deer,and a whitetail before it touched a stone.Knives are great memory joggers you can pick one up that you haven’t used in a while and a flood of memories come pouring in with all the great work you and the knife accomplished together.Good luck Lewis

07-Sep-22
Some beautiful knives, Lewis! I especially like that little Zinker with a gut hook.

Matt

07-Sep-22
Thanks GG he grew up in Homestead Florida where I did and he has sense moved to Tallahassee great guy Good luck Lewis

14-Sep-22

sbschindler's Link
these work real well

17-Sep-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
This is my knife I am now using in my pack. Is my exposed tang modified hunter in CPM Magnacut at 62.0hrc

17-Sep-22
I just made a batch of EDC hunters.. Leathers for them too. I always make myself one to test!

17-Sep-22
And 2 camp knives. Forged San Mai Damascus.

17-Sep-22

Treeline's embedded Photo
This one has been very impressive. Used it last year on an antelope, two elk, and a mule deer before needing to rework the edge a bit. Amazing knife…

17-Sep-22

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Here are the last 2 I purchase from Wayne D. here in Colorado. Have another one that stays in my pack that was made for me by a good friend (Jewel Leadford) many years ago.

18-Sep-22

18-Sep-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I gotta quit buying knives or I'll never retire...8^)

My new one (too me) arrived yesterday:

Camillus American Wildlife Series:

#17A Mallard Duck Mallard Duck ( #17A ) SPECIFICATIONS Opened length: 6-3/4” (171 mm) Closed length: 3-7/8” (98 mm) Blade: 2-5/8” (67 mm) Turkish clip Gut hook: 2-5/8” (67 mm) Blade Material: 440A stainless steel Brown jigged Delrin® handle Nickel-silver bolster Pewter wildlife medallion under acrylic Gift boxed Produced: 1976-1982

20-Sep-22

Going to try this one this season. It was only $40.

20-Sep-22
You all have some dandy knives! And to the knife makers...amazing talent!

22-Sep-22

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
A custom knife I had made some years ago. It slices, it dices, it cores.

23-Sep-22
I just got my new Spyderco Police 4 with the best steel out there K390 . I'll use that one on my upcoming hunts , until I fancy another one for my collection.

23-Sep-22
Picked up Victorinox Hunting pro while shopping for ammo at the nearby store. Looking decent for a folder(I've lost my Spyderco Delica 4 few weeks ago while kayaking with a bunch of other Hunting clothes )

23-Sep-22

mgmicky's embedded Photo
mgmicky's embedded Photo
This RJ Flynt is definitely the nicest knife that I own.

23-Sep-22
"This RJ Flynt is definitely the nicest knife that I own. " I bet it won't be the last one. Been there done that.

24-Sep-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Speaking of Victorinox, here's my latest edition arrived in the mail today...

25-Sep-22
I picked up an old Solingen for peanuts at a pawnshop Friday. I'll post pics in a bit

25-Sep-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
Arkansas toothpick

25-Sep-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
Great graddaddys pocketknife

25-Sep-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
My 35 year old Pathfinder, new sheath. A puppy chewed the original ten years ago

25-Sep-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
My "good" knives. The one on the left is the new to me old Solingen. It's branded "Gambills" but I think that was an importer not a maker.

25-Sep-22
When I get to the butcher shed I'll take pics of what I have down there.

28-Sep-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Don't know why, but have a hankering for a kukri style knife but cautious of spending a lot of money on one so I decided to buy this cheap kukri machete to see how I liked it... Photo with oil for size reference... Just got it the other day and quickly learned, it's not much of a chopper, but it's hell on high weeds and brush....

Am now thinking about maybe one of the long heavier big knives (not Bowies, already have 3 or 4 Bowies), but big choppers near machete length like maybe one of the big Ontarios or Kabars, or maybe a Esee Junglas... Anybody have any experience with these..

08-Oct-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I settled on this, I just received it: Ontario Knife Company 8689 Gen II SP-53

As Crocodile Dundee would say - "Now that's a knife"...8^)

08-Oct-22

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
They used to be made from 5160 carbon steel, but I think this newer one is made from 1075 carbon steel, it's not etched on the blade the the older model with 5160... I don't know the difference between the 2 steels, but looking forward to whacking something...8^)

10-Oct-22
Zbone my former employer issued one of those as field gear. I hated having to turn it in when I left.

11-Oct-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
This is what's in the butcher shed. Coffee can of uncooked rice keeps them dry and sharp

11-Oct-22

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
Nothing fancy, couple real junk knives, the Old Hickory cleaver, large butcher knife and boning knife are the workhorses. The filet knife is good on ribs

08-Nov-22

I have two of Wayne’s knives. The brown micarta handle is one of my favorites and goes with me on most hunts. The white handle is mammoth ivory with a Maeve Clynke sheep scrimshawed… It will be what I take for sheep hunts only. Just need a tag!

• Sitka Gear