Buck Watcher 25-Aug-22
c5ken 25-Aug-22
APauls 25-Aug-22
WhattheFOC 25-Aug-22
DanaC 26-Aug-22
Buck Watcher 27-Aug-22
fdp 27-Aug-22
23-Aug-22
I need to add a few lbs to my 50lb max mathews traverse Any problems if I twist the cables a few turns to gain a few lbs?

23-Aug-22
I don’t know the answer, but I’ve done it…

—jim

24-Aug-22
If I remember correctly you need to add the same amount of twist the cables and the string. Otherwise you’ll end up with a longer draw length.

24-Aug-22
Shortening the cables will increase the draw length. That's where the extra draw weight comes from. You can't magically increase the draw weight without increasing the draw length. Once the limbs are bottomed out and the cams are timed properly, that's all she gets at that specific draw length.

If you shorten the string to get your draw length back down, you will also be lowering the draw length. Not to mention you will be screwing with the cam timing by twisting the cables(not to be confused with cam synch).

It's a bad idea.

24-Aug-22
+1 x-man, no getting extra pounds of a compound without affecting timing or draw length.

24-Aug-22
If u absolutely must have those extra couple pounds - buy a set of mods and adjust limb bolts.

24-Aug-22
I agree with WTF. Why not get a set of mods?

24-Aug-22
What are you trying to kill that a good 50 lb compound won't?

24-Aug-22
Dana it’s like pulling 40 ft travel trailer with a 6 cylinder. A 6 cylinder will pull it, an 8 cylinder will do a better job and a Cummins diesel won’t know it’s there. If you can comfortably pull more pounds, why not. 55# might give you a higher percentage of pass throughs. I shoot 75# so I can shoot a 600 grain arrow without sacrificing drop.

24-Aug-22
The only "real" choice here is to get a different set of limbs.

In theory one could twist up the cables and put a shorter draw mod in and you might see one or two more pounds on a scale at peak but,... the draw force curve has changed with the cam timing change and you could likely lose some speed & power instead of gaining speed & power.

24-Aug-22
I think that you can add a couple of pounds if that is all you are looking for. I once put new strings and cables on my bow and I measured the cable and string lengths and put them on. I timed the cams and got the draw length rights w/o checking the axil to axil distance. The bow shot well but my max draw weight was about 7#s low. I measured the axil to axil and it was just a little long. I twisted the cables to get the axil to axil correct and twisted the string to get the draw length where I wanted it. The poundage came up to where I wanted it. You may find that your axil to axil is a little long. Regardless, if your axil to axil distance is not on the short side go ahead and twisted the cables to shorten it. Then twist the string to get the draw length correct. The draw weight should increase. As long as you have not significantly changed the axil to axil distance or the brace height the bow should lose very little if any efficiency. It may even be more efficient if the cables and string were on the long side to begin with. Most bows will max out higher than the specified max draw weight.

24-Aug-22
Hummmm. appears I may be opening a can of worms. I'm in the process of booking a Musk-ox bow hunt for 2023. I had to have my right shoulder replaced several years ago & can no longer pull 60lbs. Im thinking of building a Easton 4mm FMJ with a two blade single bevel head. I'm hoping to get total arrow weight above 500gr with over 15% FOC.. I believe I can pull about 54 or 55 lbs a few times. The bow I want to hunt with is a Mathews Travers. It maxs out about 51 lbs. The bow shots great so maybe my best bet is to buy 60 lb limbs & try to shot around 55 lbs. With the right arrow/broad-head & a super tuned bow I should be able to get decent penetration on a 700/800lb critter. What do you guys think?

24-Aug-22
Assuming the shot is well placed.....

25-Aug-22
Yes on the 60# limbs. Then, you can still turn it down to 50# for hunting at home.

25-Aug-22
Just last night I was setting up a new bow, came in just a bit under the max lbs at 58.5. Moved the draw stops out of the way, put it in a press, added 4 twists to the control and Y cable. 60.5 lbs. Put it on the draw board brought it back the desired 27.5" draw length, set the draw stops. Boom done.

25-Aug-22

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
This might help.

25-Aug-22
Great info Thanks

25-Aug-22
I don’t wanna sound like a roger here but if you can afford a musk ox hunt just factor in new limbs as part of the equation.

25-Aug-22
Isn’t that how much a musk ox hunt costs?? Two limbs?

26-Aug-22

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
"Isn’t that how much a musk ox hunt costs?? Two limbs? "

Arm and a leg? ;-)

27-Aug-22
He didn't say he couldn't afford them did he? If I could see if I could pull 5+ pounds more comfortably using my existing bow BEFORE I bought new limbs - why wouldn't I?

At least that is what I ass-u-me-d.

27-Aug-22
5lbs. isn't going to get you enough added speed, kinetic energy or momentum toean squat in the real world.

But whatever you convince yourself that matters does.

• Sitka Gear