Cheesehead Mike 25-Aug-22
DonVathome 30-Aug-22
BULELK1 30-Aug-22
Mule Power 30-Aug-22
wytex 30-Aug-22
Mule Power 30-Aug-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
24-Aug-22
What butchers do you recommend in Jackson or within a 1 hour drive? This is for a cow bison in January if that matters. I am hoping for someone who can do it in 48 hours.

24-Aug-22
Matt’s Meats on Berger Lane. Does a fantastic job and vac seals everything. He’s done a fair sized herd of elk for me and I’ve always been happy.

24-Aug-22
I’ve used Hog Island Meats and been happy.

Scott's Meats (formerly Hog Island Meats), Daniel Junction, WY, by The Den restaurant at Daniel Jct, 307-413-3322

24-Aug-22
Same experience as Dirtman. Plus you can load up on some great burritos or a good meal in the new restaurant!

24-Aug-22
Another thumbs up for Matt’s Meats in Jackson. He did my elk, bison, and moose. No complaints and quick turnaround.

24-Aug-22
Thanks!

24-Aug-22
If the hunt is January have you consider just taking meat back home and using your local butcher? Temperature won't be a issue. You can use someone you are familiar with and likely more cost effective than someone in Jackson. You won't have to hang around in very cold Jackson waiting on it be processed and pay for an expenses hotel. Just a though.

24-Aug-22
I believe Scotts Meats in Daniel just went out of business.

24-Aug-22
Johnmc I am flying - but likely can get all meat home. If I tag out early I might need a butcher. I do it myself almost every time but want some ground down, might as well do it there and get it frozen and then fly home with it. I only used a butcher once - big gator I killed and had a few hours before a flew out so I had to. It was expensive but fantastic - trimmed tenderized gator is great! If money was no object just handing it over and letting them mail it is the way to go!

I might splurge this time since I loved the last bison I got.

24-Aug-22
Holy cow how much is the airlines charging you to fly the meat of bison home! That is a lot of weight.

25-Aug-22
I take a carry on that I can get 70# into, they never weigh carry on's. A friend is hunting with me and when he leaves my fiancée arrives for 2 days. Between the 3 of us with a 70# carry on and a 50# checked bag can get 200 pounds. I Fly united so first checked bag is free and they never charge me for a carry on. Total cost will be about $100.

Funny story. A friend and I were flying out of Jackson with a ton of yummy cow elk meat a few years ago. We each had about 100# in our carry on and personal item. In Jackson you walk outside to your plane. Of course we had a 300 - 400 yard walk and the bags were awkward and got heavy. Knowing the weight limit was around 25# we had to try to not look like we were each carrying 100 pounds! We had to keep stopping to rest, acting like we were taking pics and checking phones. Old ladies with walkers passed us. WE finally make it and I open the overhead and read "Total weight limit 75#" I stuff in my 100#, along with other peoples bags and then my friend arrives and is about to add his 100# in! I say "NO" and he gives me a weird look but switched overheads. I could jsut picture us hitting turbulence and the whole overhead comes down all over people and raw bloody meats spills out. All went ok.

The carry on bag is MORE important then the checked bag flying, you can get more then 50# easily. I double bag with good contractor garbage bags and then wrap with a foil bag meant to insulate. Freeze a little meat for the center and get right to 33 degrees before you fly - easy in Jackson temps are usually in the teens. We eat fresh elk backstraps for a week when we get home.

25-Aug-22
So fly your wife AND your girlfriend out on the last day and you’ll be able to bring home an entire buffalo! Lol

Don would you consider yourself to be a detail oriented guy? Lol

25-Aug-22
So TSA does not say anything with meat in carry on? Interesting

25-Aug-22
Not to be a buzz kill here but an airplane's weight and balance, takeoff and landing weight limitation calculations, performance envelope, etc are based on certain criteria, even for the big jets. It's probably not very likely, but I wouldn't want to be on a plane that every passenger chose to ignore the weight limitations. Not to mention, Jackson can be one of the more challenging airports to fly out of.

25-Aug-22
Amen the Jackson runway is like my driveway only a little wider! Lol

25-Aug-22
I'm a pilot, but just fly my small plane. I have a good friend who is a Delta airlines captain and he said Jackson is his favorite airport to fly in and out of in the lower 48, and also the most challenging. He's a highly skilled ex military pilot who has flown an amazing array of aircraft and has numerous ratings.

30-Aug-22
TSA ALWAYS pulls my carry on and tests it, I am ready. Never had an issue. I do it at least twice a year for over a decade. It looks like a blob on the scanner. I do not say dead bloody meat I say I have some steaks. When flying home my gator I call it seafood:)

I have no fear of flying. One time on the way from Denver to Jackson the pilot informed the plane that it was snowing hard at Jackson and they were not able to keep the runway clear. They had to do a calculation to see if there was enough runway to stop on with snow or we would have to divert. I just assumed there was NO WAY we were landing in Jackson. 10 minutes later "we did the math and can land" I have to admit as we landed on that snowy runway I was puckered up.

30-Aug-22

BULELK1's embedded Photo
3 150 qrt coolers and 1 120 qrt. cooler
BULELK1's embedded Photo
3 150 qrt coolers and 1 120 qrt. cooler
537 lbs of cut-n-wrapped Wyo Bull Buff fixin' to travel out of Star Valley to my home 4 hours away.

I can't imagine loading even 1/2 the weight, via carry-on luggage......

30-Aug-22
TSA guy “Is that a tenderloin in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?” Lol

30-Aug-22
Hey I juts got a message from Matt's Meats that they will be full time in Jackson starting after the first week in Sept.

30-Aug-22
I knew they would be. The older Chinese guy that was there passed away before last season. He was the backbone of that place. But they were on the ball last year as always.

Their rush feee makes me roll my eyes. The sign says processing time 10 days. Anything less will be a $40 rush charge. What non resident can wait 10 days for meat? Besides I know for a fact no animal ever takes that long there. It’s a revolving door. I’m sure no locals pay the fee and pick up their meat in 3 days. The sign should just say”Non resident hunters add $40” “Killed in Wilderness add $200” Haha! Gotta love Wyoming!

Maybe some day Fish and Game will learn from Matt’s Meats and there will be a sign and fee box at all wilderness trailheads that says “All non resident hunters must pay a $100 access fee to hunt this area”

In my dreams right! If there’s a sign like that it’ll say a fee of $5000!

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear