Jack Harris 29-Aug-22
Corax_latrans 29-Aug-22
Smtn10PT 30-Aug-22
Genesis 30-Aug-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
24-Aug-22

Thornton's embedded Photo
Some reminders I stumbled across on Facebook since season is right around the corner for most of us. I like to aim low, right behind the elbow.

24-Aug-22

25-Aug-22
Those xrays are great!

25-Aug-22
You can be “forward” and not realize it as well. Entry wound on a Buck that’s still alive.

25-Aug-22

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Exit.

25-Aug-22
Good stuff here

25-Aug-22
Xrays are epic data. Whoever did this. Thank you

25-Aug-22

Entry.

25-Aug-22
That deer is a ghost, not sure how it survived that.

25-Aug-22
That's crazy, Tim!

25-Aug-22
That entry/exit photo on that buck is wild. Hopefully he is still alive and well. He should be getting a lifetime pass as he is special.

25-Aug-22
I have no idea how that buck survived Tim, crazy!

25-Aug-22
That's one lucky deer!

25-Aug-22
That's just wrong! You would think that would be a dead deer in a short amount of time. Wow!

25-Aug-22
Right in the famous “V” there Tim!!! In the famous words of Lloyd Christmas: “I was WAY off!”

25-Aug-22
Exit higher than entry?? WTF, shooting out of a pit blind?

26-Aug-22
Look at that second X-ray…

Maybe he dropped at the shot with both shoulders far forward…. And won the lottery.

I hit a buck in about exactly that spot. Put a hole through both ventricles.

Bazillion to one shot.

26-Aug-22
Bigpizzaman - I am having a hard time believing that deer was shot as the pictures indicate. Do you have any backstory on it or any first hand knowledge of what happened? If that deer was truly shot through the sholders with one shot and it passed through... the main arteries or something should have been severed even if it didnt get heart/lungs. Also, not that it has anything to do with it, but it appears the pics are from a high fence/deer farm operation. I am skeptical!

26-Aug-22
A buddy of mine shot an elk I called to him pretty close to Bigpizza’s photo. He didn’t take a layup followup shot because, “ Thats a dead bull”

We tracked him 1/2 mile and last saw him 3/4 mile away going over the continental divide.

26-Aug-22
I helped an outfitter track a big bull that soaked up a bonded .300 Win Mag at 100 yards. We could hear the bull ramming a fence on the ridge above us, but he finally made it over and disappeared even with a front leg not working. Very little blood and the hunter swore it was a shoulder shot.

26-Aug-22
Believe. Buddy shot one about 7 years ago. We looked and looked. For days. Got a trail cam pic of him three days after he shot it. Same type hit. He got trail cam pics over a nearby feeder until the horns fell off that year.

26-Aug-22
Is it possible that they are both entry wounds; shot at different times on different sides with little penetration?

26-Aug-22
I was thinking the same thing as Keith. Or possibly he was shot by a crossbow bolt, because only a damn crossbow could ruin a hit like that!!!

26-Aug-22
“He didn’t take a layup followup shot because, ‘Thats a dead bull’”

I can just about see myself making that mistake, but this thread may prevent me from doing so…

26-Aug-22
What I've learned is there are no absolutes with shot placement.

Last year I did a "How Far How Long Challenge" thread. I showed skinned out pics of where my arrow entered between the 2nd and 3rd ribs from the rear, and exited from the bucks armpit area on the off side. My challenge was to guess how far the deer went and how long did he take to die. The vast majority of responses guessed the deer ran 50-100 yards and died in seconds. In reality, the buck went 7 yards and took and hour to die.

So, you never know until you know.

Matt

26-Aug-22
I found my arrow, complete pass-thru, definitely entry/exit. Low fence in South Texas, shot from a ground blind, deer was seen last year, deformed rack. Haven’t seen him on camera this year, heading down in October.

27-Aug-22
The backbone location as shown by the X-ray at the front part of the chest is something for bowhunters to understand…..dipping over a third of the way down the body. Quite a bit of “dead zone” where hits in front and/or above the actual chest cavity might be non-lethal….see Tim’s photos.

27-Aug-22
Great thread. Did not ever think about that regarding the liver.

27-Aug-22
Excellent thread, I never would have given it any thought... thank you.

27-Aug-22
Duplicate

27-Aug-22

DRR324's embedded Photo
DRR324's embedded Photo
DRR324's embedded Photo
Exit side.
DRR324's embedded Photo
Exit side.
Entry, just rushed my shot as she was getting spooky. Pics 2 days later.

27-Aug-22
Looks quartered-on a bit. Low percentage. I wouldn’t expect an immediately lethal hit that far out, but Tim’s buck is a Puzzlement.

27-Aug-22
Interesting video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5fkdN0tuI

27-Aug-22

Catscratch's embedded Photo
A deer can move a lot between shot and hit. Looking at the angle of the arrow on this spine shot deer you would say I was below it. Was in a tree stand, but 40 yards away and with a slow bow (30yrs ago?). He pulled his feet out from under him, hit the ground, and leaned away from the sound. Hit way above where I was aiming due to so much movement.

Great thread, keep it going!

27-Aug-22

27-Aug-22
So, the same could apply with a quartering away shot..?

27-Aug-22
So, the same could apply with a quartering away shot..?

29-Aug-22

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
this diagram found it's way to me via bowsite at least 15 years ago. I just put a green dot on it. I alway aim for exit - objective is to INTERSECT the green dot. Quartering too shots extremely frowned upon. quartering away welcome all day long. It's a winning formula - I wish I could predict lottery as accurately but if you intersect that green dot your deer is most likely dropping in sight.

29-Aug-22
I like that word “Intersect”, Jack. The problem with 3Ds is that they’re scored on the surface, rather than where the head crosses the midline.

And there’s usually quite a bit of meat there to seal off the wound channel - they start running and the hole through the muscle is no longer aligned with the hole through the chest wall, so blood can be thin to nonexistent.

I’m working on shifting my Spot a bit farther back than the 10-ring; I’m better off with the solid double-lung and a quick, decisive pneumothorax.

30-Aug-22
By green dot do you mean yellow dot or did the wrong pic show up?

30-Aug-22
Finally,radiological confirmation of the void.....:)

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear