KHNC 30-Aug-22
BigSky 30-Aug-22
Corax_latrans 30-Aug-22
JRABQ 30-Aug-22
BULELK1 31-Aug-22
27-Aug-22

PoudreCanyon's embedded Photo
Got out to pull cameras yesterday - one camera was a bust with a malfunction and no pics taken. The second camera had nearly 100 photos on a 31 day soak. The interesting thing was there wasn’t a single pic of a branch antlered bull. This is a first for me, but since I’m 90% a meat hunter, a nice fat cow will work just fine. Just wondering who else is going to be equal opportunity elk hunting this year. Poudre

27-Aug-22

Sorry for the double post - I’d fix it if I knew how…

27-Aug-22
Cool pics! My cameras had way fewer pics of bulls and bucks this year as well. Feed is plentiful but if your cows stay put it’s only a matter of time until the bulls come calling.

27-Aug-22

27-Aug-22
I'll be happy if I get a cow this year.

27-Aug-22
Me maybe. Depends on if my youth hunter wants to go.

27-Aug-22
Nice pics

27-Aug-22
I'm elk hunting. The first legal one I have a chance at will be the plan. Haven't punched a tag in a few seasons. Life has been getting in the way of having a decent amount of time during season but even a few days elk hunting is great.

27-Aug-22
I went thru my freezer today and I still have elk meat from last year, along with some WT and moose.

I thought about passing on a cow this year. But I probably won’t. That’s what the B List cow tag is for

27-Aug-22
Brad - I’d be happy to help eat her:)

27-Aug-22
Cow in WY, then back to CO for a bull.

27-Aug-22

walleyes's embedded Photo
Couldn’t pass one myself today. Too tasty and lots more left to hunt this year !!
walleyes's embedded Photo
Couldn’t pass one myself today. Too tasty and lots more left to hunt this year !!

27-Aug-22
First legal animal that steps in front of my arrow!

27-Aug-22
Yes, equal opportunity. If I manage to fill my tag early I can call for a couple others to continue my season.

27-Aug-22

Wish I had a cow moose tag for the same unit…

28-Aug-22
I've got 2 Reduced Price cow/calf tags for Wyoming, two different units that border each other.

Looking forward to the hunts.

Kool pix man,

Robb

28-Aug-22
Limited time here. I will shoot the first legal elk I get a chance at!

28-Aug-22
Same here furst legal elk

28-Aug-22
I'm on the same train --- first legal elk.

28-Aug-22
Not with a bow but we'll have at least 3 or 4 elk tags between the 2 of us, 1 cow tag each but we can get 2 if wanted.

28-Aug-22
I won't hesitate to take a cow (unless she has a bull on her tail) ;^)

28-Aug-22
What’s the old saying “If it’s brown, it’s down.” Just looking to fill the deep freeze for another year.

28-Aug-22
I specifically wanted a cow elk last year, and killed one…I am strongly considering doing the same thing this year!

28-Aug-22

Dino's embedded Photo
Dino's embedded Photo

28-Aug-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Some pretty small calves yet

28-Aug-22

I noticed the same thing Brad - this one was only 2 weeks ago. Some cows definitely dropped late this year.

29-Aug-22
I too have seen some late calves, still with spots on 'em.

Wyo and Utah.

Good luck, Robb

29-Aug-22
The spotted ones aren't ripe yet.

29-Aug-22
Poke em Young

29-Aug-22
Not sure if there is something going on but talking with a couple friends (central MN) -- they both said they are seeing pretty small fawns with spots yet.

29-Aug-22
Wife and I both drew cow tags, she's bowing out of bow season waiting on Shoulder surgery, can't draw enough weight for elk.

29-Aug-22
Often means the buck-doe or bull-cow ratio is out of whack. Where cnelk hunts, that is definitely the case according to CPW. They want people to shoot an extra cow. So not surprising many cows are getting bred in mid-October.

29-Aug-22
My goal this year is to get my young hunting partner on any legal elk, which will be his first. I'll continue to hunt only legal bulls, as I always have.

Matt

30-Aug-22
Ive never killed a cow, doesnt mean i wont though :)

30-Aug-22
The first elk I get into bow range gets shot. This is my stance every year. Contrary to magazine articles, finding elk, unless you have a landowner friend with lots of elk, is extremely difficult. I spend weeks every year wearing out boots looking for and hunting elk. I'm at a point in my life in which I won't be picky.

30-Aug-22
You’d have to be an unusual character to never have dreamed of a big 6X6 stepping in range, but if you’re in an OTC unit and you’re prepared to pass up a shot on a cow, you must be a first-rate optimist.

And What Lou Said.

If the bull:cow ratios are so out of whack and the rut so disrupted by hunting activity that there is now a substantial second rut going on….

We’ve all seen where this has gone with whitetails and their rut now spanning 3-4 cycles, rather than 3-4 days….

This is Bad. They need to dump the extra cow tags for archery and let the rifles take the cows until the numbers stabilize at sustainable levels. This business of letting people hunt the full bow season and then break out the rifle for their bull tag is insane. Just like with the whitetails, they’re leaning on Archery for population control, and it’s not gonna end well.

Bull tags are going to end up draw-only, statewide… Just a matter of time at this rate.

30-Aug-22

JRABQ's embedded Photo
JRABQ's embedded Photo
Any else seen an elk like this? I'm guessing it's a yearling cow, but it is missing the dark mane on the neck. Got several pictures of it, coloration just seems off.

31-Aug-22
Thinner Summer hide maybe ?

Lush and green for sure,

Robb

• Sitka Gear