sitO 02-Sep-22
LBshooter 02-Sep-22
PushCoArcher 02-Sep-22
Pat Lefemine 02-Sep-22
Thornton 02-Sep-22
28-Aug-22

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Putting a bait site behind a For Sale sign on Kansas hunting property? …priceless.

29-Aug-22
Crazy thing is people will pay stupid prices for average ground and average deer like tone in the picture.

29-Aug-22
If that's 'average' I'm 'interested' !

29-Aug-22
Clever!

29-Aug-22
Clever for sure. If he gets a daytime picture, even better.

29-Aug-22
I live about an hour from him and his wife went to school with my wife. Unusual marketing is kinda his shtick. He’s a great guy as far as I know.

29-Aug-22
I know a former realtor in Colorado that would put out a couple elk/mule deer sheds and make a couple piles of elk crap so it looked like wildlife frequented the are more than what they did. Would place sheds so prospective buy find them while looking at property. It worked amazingly good you can’t believe how excited a easterner gets while looking a piece and finds a shed and influences his decision on property.

29-Aug-22
What would be a kicker is a night pic the next day on 07-12-22 showing a poacher dragging that buck and another bigger buck out.

29-Aug-22
Clever!

29-Aug-22
Sickening.

29-Aug-22
To each there own.

It could be a 200” deer in the picture but if it’s an 80 acre crop field it’s probably not worth buying for hunting purposes.

29-Aug-22
Land should be sold for crops or livestock, period.

29-Aug-22
Land should be sold for whatever legal reason both parties agree to Dave. This is America. Geez!

29-Aug-22
Small bucks.

29-Aug-22
Keepem:

I am a rancher in Texas, but sometimes wildlife is the only reason a property doesn’t become a housing subdivision. And not all land is tillable or suitable for livestock, but may have cover for nearby food source

29-Aug-22
Surely Keepemsharp is kidding…

But with the vast amounts of stupidity these days I guess maybe not.

—Jim

29-Aug-22
'Open space' is 'open space'. 'Round here we're losing it to development and solar farms. I'd rather see acreage kept open for hunting if not agriculture or forestry. Or some combination when practical.

29-Aug-22
"the vast amounts of stupidity these days"

Yea, some even sign each of their posts...as if anyone would care who wrote it?

30-Aug-22
Can't say I completely disagree with keepemsharp. Of course land should be sold for whatever reason and whatever price 2 parties agree on, but the situation where antlers causes land to outprice growing food for the world is disheartening.

Surprised no-one commented on the CO realtor story. That is fraud plain and simple. Imagine dumping your life savings into something just to find out it had been misrepresented and wasn't what you thought it was. That guy sucks!

30-Aug-22

30-Aug-22
Lots of things are disheartening to me, but the workings of a free market system are not one of them. Any good, service or commodity should be sold to the entity placing the highest value on it. We have 40 acres in CRP because that pays more than any farmer will give us to plant crops or hay it. No difference between that and a person buying land for recreational use.

Will not pander to Dave just because he is a KS resident, and will not support government intervention where not necessary, whether that be to dictate what land can be used for or baiting even. You either believe in capitalism or you don’t.

30-Aug-22
The longer I know Dave on here, the more he sounds like a dictator. Last week, he seemed to think it was OK for his friend to shoot a disobedient bird dog in the head with a 9mm.

30-Aug-22
Way to start a fight with your highly controversial post, Pat.

lol

30-Aug-22
What he is, is a man I would not like to do business with. I can only imagine some of the other underhanded things he’s done.

31-Aug-22
It feels so nice to have groupies.

02-Sep-22
His job and how he feeds his family is selling. If he finds ways to sell a property that's creative and gets the attention of potential customers, I don't see anything wrong with it. Lot of hungry hunters out their to have their own deer topia, and are willing to pay for it.

02-Sep-22
"creative" or deceptive?

02-Sep-22
Deceptive would be the guy placing sheds..... that's just dirty. Would be akin to posting trailcam pics of a buck in a listing that aren't from the property insinuating they are.

Creative is the guy marketing within trailcam pics. If a prospective buyer doesn't understand that summer and fall feeding/ ranges can change drastically, that's on them for being ignorant to how these animals tend to behave. It's not false advertising... the deer is/was there!

02-Sep-22
Saddle reaper is spot on!

The Realtor/Landowner should never have don’t that.Especially the guy putting sheds etc. for all to see. A deceptive practice to sell or lease a property and, probably at a higher price than it’s actually worth. He’s taking advantage of any prospective buyer. Lying would be the perfect word. I would never want to do business with that person. And, more than likely, that’s not the only time he’s done something like that. IMO

02-Sep-22

02-Sep-22
Deceptive would be cutting off a post to make it appear the person said the opposite of what they actually did.

Spare us your ethical pontification because it is horse manure!

02-Sep-22
Yer silly HFraudW

02-Sep-22
You never know where a thread can go.

02-Sep-22
Placing sheds on a property is false advertising. Frank should know this because he brags he "gives thanks on bended knee" after he kills one of his many does, yet he's fine violating the very commandment of "Thou shalt not bear false witness" (lying), distorting truth (placing sheds to entice potential buyers when the animal never resided on the property)...

02-Sep-22
If I was going to get serious about dropping some serious coin on a piece of hunting property, I'd go talk to the owner and see what he/she knows about the hunting from years past. Seeing old cam pics taken from the property would help confirm/deny the hunting potential for the property. I'm not sure I'd trust the realtor's opinion on the hunting potential.

02-Sep-22
Placing something is definitely false advertising and dishonest. But if you're buying a property and can't walk around and look at sign and see what is real, then take someone with you that can read sign. Even seeing sheds might not mean the animal is there during hunting season, so that is not necessarily a correlation to what the land would be like in hunting season.

I recently dealt on a hunting property that had trail camera pictures involved in the listing. Careful close questioning revealed photos that were taken elsewhere and not on the property. It was only after riding around on a side by side for a while and asking different questions and coming from different angles that I could discern this to be the case. Also included was a trophy photo of a buck the owner took a couple hundred miles away as well. I couldn't recognize the fence line and asked for the exact place that buck was taken. It sucks, but you have to be sharp and discerning in this life otherwise you'll be taken advantage of. That is just how the world works, even though it shouldn't.

02-Sep-22
That's right Adam, and it doesn't make it "genius" or "clever", or "creative". Cheaters gonna cheat.

02-Sep-22
Placing sheds on the property, using trail cam photos taken elsewhere, trophy photos taken elsewhere, making fake rubs or transporting a rubbing post from elsewhere all of those I would consider deceit.

Pat's example? Pretty harmless and creative IMO. (Assuming the deer aren't photoshopped into the photo)

02-Sep-22
Sure

02-Sep-22
If they were going to be dishonest about it, I'd think they'd photoshop in a bigger buck.

Some of you guys need to lighten up, Francis. Geezus, it's just a frickin' deer.

02-Sep-22
I don't care about the deer Nick, I just don't like cheaters

02-Sep-22
Caviot Empter, it's up to the potential buyer to walk the land and see for themselves what's living on the land. If I were buying property for hunting you can be sure I'd want to sit a day or two during the season to see what's there. No gun, bow I'd just want to sit with a pair of binos. Also, talk to the neighbors and see what they are like. Could you imagine buying land with neighbors who would yell and have a fit if you shot a spike or basket buck. In today's world of hunting you have many influencing factors that could make your dream place a nightmare.

02-Sep-22

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo

02-Sep-22

This pic was taken my first summer after buying my Ohio property. It was a big relief knowing there were mature bucks on my ground, but it was just one piece of the puzzle.
This pic was taken my first summer after buying my Ohio property. It was a big relief knowing there were mature bucks on my ground, but it was just one piece of the puzzle.
There's nothing in my post about about planting shed antlers. You KS guys are a trip!

In all seriousness, when I bought my Ohio property in 2020 I had zero trail cam pics because it was owned by the Amish and they don't use trail cameras. They were honest and told me they saw a lot of deer, but very few big bucks. After a 30 minute conversation I realized these guys were not experienced hunters. They hunted two corn feeders and one of them was set up 200 yards from the farm house. So I really couldn't base any decision on their lack of success.

I spent two full days walking every inch of the property. The sign looked fantastic. I looked at the tillable fields, the transitional areas, the bedding cover, and the surrounding properties. I consulted the record books for entries in the county and I called two neighbors who hunted the area. Still, after I closed in March, I was missing two pieces of information: the quality of bucks in the area, and the hunting pressure from neighboring properties. The above photo was taken during my first summer so I knew trophy quality was exceptional. I had to learn about the hunting pressure during the season. That turned out to be acceptable. But you never really know until you spend two seasons on it, there are so many factors to what makes a great hunting property. Had I based my decision solely on the feedback from the previous owners I would have passed on my ground. Fortunately, my gut told me the property had incredible potential. I purchased the property and it has been an exceptional buy.

So you never really know unless you have direct knowledge of the area. The fact that this KS ground has bucks standing behind a Realtor sign is interesting, but only one small data-point of many. Lots of guys buy land that they regret, and lots of guys pass on great land too because they fail to put in the time and due diligence necessary. I looked over 20 properties over two months.

02-Sep-22
I visited my farm several times when It was on sale. I really wanted the property next to it that had more timber and a stocked pond, but didn't want to risk the auction. I made one last trip the the farm next door for sale and finally saw 2 fawns and a bobcat. What I did find though was a 'Kansas Oil' tag and a plastic air dam ripped from a front bumper at the creek crossing and tracks all over the place. I immediately called the realtor and made my offer $100,000. He promptly confirmed my suspicion and said "there's been another offer, you'll have to come up". I offered $110k, and they took it. All the neighbors said my place didn't have many deer and I'd never see a turkey. I immediately found a farmer that converted the brome to a corn/soybean rotation, and the rest is history. I often have over 30 deer visit in early and late season evenings, turkeys every spring, 3 coveys of quail, and several hundred mallards and geese in December and doves in Sept when there's corn. Not to mention varmints of every kind. Not bad for a sub par 80.5 acre property that was in the market for months with no offers. The prime 80 next to mine that went for top dollar is now owned by a lawyer that dozed the bedding areas and took his 20 acres out of tillable ag production. This has caused all the deer that used to hole up on him til dark before they came to my place, to simply cross his property as quickly as possible, and they use my place more than they ever have.

• Sitka Gear