Sivart 30-Aug-22
JohnMC 30-Aug-22
elkster 30-Aug-22
nchunter 30-Aug-22
KSflatlander 30-Aug-22
Franzen 31-Aug-22
KC9 31-Aug-22
29-Aug-22
My 13 yr old and I are trying to plan a backpack trip for next summer. Looking for ideas.

29-Aug-22
How far and for how many days? Does fishing matter?

29-Aug-22
Yosemite

29-Aug-22
Look up Peter Hirst on FB and he has a wealth of knowledge about the John Muir Trail in CA. Peter is great....I used to work with him when we both part timed at Eldora Ski Resort.

The Colorado Trail is not a bad choice I hear.

29-Aug-22
I was going to suggest Isle Royale but some of the trails and camps are still temporarily closed due to a recent fire

29-Aug-22
If it is next Summer, I would suggest anywhere in the high country to try to avoid the heat.

29-Aug-22
Isle Royale made me think of suggesting a portage and paddle trip up in the boundary waters of MN.....very cool thing to do. Watch out for leeches in between yer toes and skeeters and no see ums.

29-Aug-22
Anywhere around the Jackson Hole area is beautiful and you could break it up with a day or two in Yellowstone if she’s never seen that.

29-Aug-22
Bridger Wilderness out of Boulder Lake trailhead. Popo Agie wilderness in the Wind Rivers. In CO, the Rainbow Lakes trail in the Mt Zirkel wilderness is a nice beginner route too, very pretty, not crowded.

29-Aug-22
By daughter is now 19 we have done a lot of hunting. If first time I might consider a truck camping trip with hikes from there. Backpacking in first time you will lose a lot of comforts from a camp you can drive to. Or maybe hybrid it. Backpack in for a night. Next night head back to camp at truck have a good meal. If single night of backpacking went well maybe stock back up a try again for 2-3 nights. Also at that age they can go for ever on flat ground. Add a little weight and a lot of climbing can be tough. Last make sure the weather is ok backpacking sucks if it rains most of the time. Don't let that be her first trip, she will never want to go again.

29-Aug-22
All kinds of great hikes and lakes in MT. Avoid grizzly areas if you can. Plenty of places to go where you don’t have to worry about that with your kiddo. Happy to send you a few if you decide to come out this way.

29-Aug-22
Gila Wilderness

29-Aug-22
I was planning on about a two nighter, as she is a beginner, but in very good shape. See how it goes, and either do another 2-3 nigher, or just truck camp from there.

29-Aug-22
Geneva lake out of Marble, CO is very pretty. Good climb but not that far. There are other routes to get back down to extend it. An easy but beautiful 4x4 road to get to the trailhead.

29-Aug-22
Also fishing would be a bonus

29-Aug-22
well hell....find a hike down the frying pan then......

29-Aug-22
John Muir Trail

30-Aug-22
Look to the different ranger stations for Forest Service rental cabins. They also rent fire towers in some areas. But a cabin along a stream with trout in it would be a great over nighter. I know of one if you want to PM but the native cutts and bull trout there are that big. Eaters though!

30-Aug-22
Plenty of Trailheads on the North Slope of the Uinta Mnts. in Utah.

You could do your 2-3 days easily and fish, see elk, moose, mule deer mnt goats. bighorn sheep ~~ No Grizzz and No wolves.

Plus, it's OTC bow elk tags, so ya could do a scouting trip too.

Feel welcome to reach out to me if ya want some more specific intel.

Good luck, Robb

30-Aug-22

DanaC's Link

30-Aug-22
Such great info, fellas. Really appreciate it. Something I've wanted to do with her for years. Been super hard to compete with all of the teenage sports activities. We're finally going to carve out a date, and commit to it.

30-Aug-22
Dana provided you great list to stay away from unless you really enjoy being around lots of people.

30-Aug-22
I'm sure glad I did these trips with my daughter when she was that age, even though it was difficult to fit in with all the teenage lifestyle activities and traveling from Georgia to the Rockies to do so. Best memories and she still wants to backpack and camp. We will be going to Wyoming in a month.

30-Aug-22
If you decide to do the Appalachian trail in Virginia then give me a holler. I may have a place the two of you can stay for a few nights. A 2 day canoe trip on the New River is a load of fun. Awesome smallmouth fishing too.

30-Aug-22
Sivart- try allTrails.com. You can search an area in the U.S. you can filter for difficulty, length, type (loop, out and back, point to point).

There are some good hikes in Arkansas and Missouri too.

31-Aug-22
Cirque of the Towers - Wind River Range

Seven Devils - Hell's Canyon Area

Due diligence to get her hooked...

31-Aug-22

KC9's embedded Photo
KC9's embedded Photo
Might consider a Llama. I used them when the kids were younger and we were able to bring so much more. We could go in much further with a few more luxuries.

• Sitka Gear