nchunter 05-Sep-22
WV Mountaineer 05-Sep-22
Brian M. 05-Sep-22
midwest 05-Sep-22
elkmtngear 05-Sep-22
02-Sep-22

rooster's embedded Photo
rooster's embedded Photo
Getting ready to hang the last of my stands for the upcoming season here in Ohio and thought I'd share a photo of a stand, actually, one of six stands that I built several years ago and still use today. The stand is all welded aluminum construction, the platform is 24" X 32", and the stand weighs in at 15lbs. Since we leave our stands up all season, the weight is not too big a deal to handle during the walk in. I'm a tree stand junkie and would love to see any home-built stands that others have put together.

02-Sep-22
Nice work!! What did you weight test it to?

02-Sep-22

midwest's embedded Photo
Built about 18 years ago...aluminum.
midwest's embedded Photo
Built about 18 years ago...aluminum.
midwest's embedded Photo
Steel, weighed 14 lbs.
midwest's embedded Photo
Steel, weighed 14 lbs.
midwest's embedded Photo
Saddle Platform
midwest's embedded Photo
Saddle Platform
I built a pile of them back in the day. Both aluminum and steel. Traded them all to a buddy. My latest venture was an aluminum saddle platform that has worked very well for me. I've built some nice sticks, too.

02-Sep-22
Thanks JL. You know, I never weight tested it. However, that is a good question. I use 5/16" stainless steel hardware and 1/4" cables. Two 2' ratchet straps to hold it to the tree. The aluminum tubing is 1/16" wall thickness and the channel is 1/8" wall TIG welded together. I weigh 170lbs and the wifey less than that and there is no noticeable deflection getting on or while on stand.

02-Sep-22
midwest, Great work, looks like you and I have a similar affliction. I wish I had photos of all the stands I've made over the years. All the way back to Baker inspired climbers. I built some steel stands much like yours, (heavy SOB's) way back in the day. I even built two out of all stainless steel. On one, "The Swiveler", the platform was round and the seat in the center of the circle away from the tree. It was designed only for sitting and the seat rotated on center. I just pitched it last year after sitting in the barn forever.

02-Sep-22
That's awsome to have the skill to build a treestand.

02-Sep-22
Rooster,

Nice looking stand, however, I shudder looking at the choice of securing it to the tree. I've seen way too many straps shred along the weave and succumb to light cuts. Static line, chain or steel cable for me. Times 2 straps still doesn't comfort me. Weighing 170 is just one weight, what about the gear you wear and hoist up to yourself, and where does that hang?

02-Sep-22
Lots of fun, rooster. Nice work there, yourself. Wish I had more time. I had a buddy that does waterjet cut me a pile of steps and standoffs for building climbing sticks. Need to get those done.

I've also 3D printed a lot of the components.

02-Sep-22

midwest's embedded Photo
Waterjet cut step and standoff
midwest's embedded Photo
Waterjet cut step and standoff
midwest's embedded Photo
No Knot rope cleat for 1/8" Amsteel rope. Works like a champ!
midwest's embedded Photo
No Knot rope cleat for 1/8" Amsteel rope. Works like a champ!

02-Sep-22
2Wildbill, The strap in the photo was used to get the photo taken. The straps I use during the season are 2" heavy duty...3000lbs ?, I think. Never had a problem. I know...famous last words. Again, compared to commercially available stands and their fastening systems I'm sure we're safe. We stay attached with lifelines the entire hunt. Top to bottom. As to clothes and gear, I'd be surprised if my clothes weigh any more than 10lbs. All of other gear hangs from a tree step screwed in adjacent to the stand, bow on hanger etc...

02-Sep-22

pirogue's embedded Photo
I like stands with character
pirogue's embedded Photo
I like stands with character

02-Sep-22

Rock's embedded Photo
Here what I used to make.
Rock's embedded Photo
Here what I used to make.
Build a bunch of these several years ago and still have 2 that have never been in a tree. 23' x 32' and 7 1/2 pounds with ability to level on any tree with the adjustable underleg.

02-Sep-22
Yal got some talent. I've made a couple of 10 ft wood ladder stands bit nothing like what yal made.

02-Sep-22
Very nice, Rock! The leg underneath is the same design as my saddle platform. Same style as we used to make back in the day when we were making them out of plywood with bent conduit for the support underneath. Simple and rock solid!

02-Sep-22
midwest, my first ones were just what you described, plywood and conduit. Just wanted something lighter

03-Sep-22

JSW's embedded Photo
My homemade portable. I have several dozen of these
JSW's embedded Photo
My homemade portable. I have several dozen of these

03-Sep-22

JSW's embedded Photo
My homemade ladder stand. I also have several dozen of theses.
JSW's embedded Photo
My homemade ladder stand. I also have several dozen of theses.

03-Sep-22

JSW's embedded Photo
I can adjust it to fit almost any tree. It's solid and comfortable
JSW's embedded Photo
I can adjust it to fit almost any tree. It's solid and comfortable

03-Sep-22

Muleysareking's embedded Photo
It wasn't far to the ground!
Muleysareking's embedded Photo
It wasn't far to the ground!
Couldn't find enough chain for a regular tree stand so I improvised. It is a 2x8 that was somewhat rotten on the left end. The right end was 2 treestand steps into the bark with a small 2x4 across with the 2x8 on top of that. I only stood on the right end because I'm not stupid.............. I did use a safety belt though......Mike

03-Sep-22

JSW's embedded Photo
I make my own tripods as well.
JSW's embedded Photo
I make my own tripods as well.

03-Sep-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This count?

03-Sep-22
Troy, probably not the prettiest but likely the most productive! ;-)

04-Sep-22
That a locust t-roy? We have a similar setup in a locust, minus the panel with leaves since we are not easily skylined in that location. Not the greatest tree to have a stand in, but you gotta use what you are given.

04-Sep-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Yep. It’s a locust, Corey. Fortunately, there are very few thorns on this particular tree. It’s in a really good spot, but you’re pretty naked in it without brushing it in. I stapled a couple of sections of old woven wire fencing across the bigger branches, and that works awesome to be able to weave some smaller oak branches, cut in September, into the fencing. Very solid.

Here’s another brushed in locust tree in a great spot, too. Jaybird naked here as well, without brushing it in. The artificial Christmas tree branches work awesome for that, as well. I was afraid the squirrels would just chew them up, but, so far, they haven’t bothered them.

04-Sep-22
You do all realize commercially made stands are "engineered" to the lowest possible weight and strength without failing so as to be the cheapest to sell and still not get sued.

04-Sep-22
Who’d have thunk such primitive stands would be the source of so many booners getting killed in Iowa ;) lol

05-Sep-22
Anything engineered is typically going to be to the lowest possible weight to be safe, yet as cheap as can be manufactured. That is kind of the point.

05-Sep-22
We used to buy loads of metal electrical conduit pipe. With one person using the pipe bending tool, one person welding and the other cutting a thin metal grid material we could make 5 or 6 climbing treestands a day. We copied a popular brand here in the south. Worked fantastic and wasn't too big of a loss if it got stolen. Your stands looked great. Good work.

05-Sep-22
Got no pics because I made them over 20 years ago. I used 1/2” and 3/4” stainless conduit. It was a climber that faced the tree. I used wire mess on the platform and 1/2” plywood for the top seat section.

It weighed a bunch. But, I carried it for years. I didn’t have the money to buy a good climber. I literally carried it for miles on some hunts.

Strength testing consisted on my climbing up about 8 feet, stepping up on the seat, and my cousin jumping up and hanging on the top section while I stood on it. Red neck engineering at its best. I’m guessing we were close to 425 pounds combined.

I didn’t have money. But, I could weld and had spent several years working in a fabrication shop. They worked and worked well.

I’m spoiled now. I wouldn’t carry it for it now. But, poor hillbillies we were and we killed a bunch of deer out of them.

05-Sep-22

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
I took these pics just before throwing it away ten years ago. Hadn't used it in years and was starting to rot. I remember killing at least four deer from it.

Made from 2x4, plywood, some angle iron, cables and a seat belt from a 1976(?) Jeepster Commando. I was younger and not so bright, but it worked without any failures.

05-Sep-22
That's awesome

05-Sep-22

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
I've killed bulls out of both of these old stands, built by a Buddy of mine over 25 years ago.

Wood lasts forever, in Colorado ;^)

• Sitka Gear