2Wild Bill 10-Sep-22
TODDY 12-Sep-22
Iowabowhunter 17-Sep-22
fdp 17-Sep-22
Iowabowhunter 17-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
04-Sep-22
I’m not sure what’s going on.

Mathews V3 31 67@ 29, 300 spine black eagle Spartans, 125 gr point, standard BE insert with 30 gr insert weight and 4 AAE Hybrid 26’s

Field points and 125 gr Iron Will wides flying well- the SEVR 2” mech isn’t flying well at all.

Doesn’t make sense to me I’m not sure what’s happening here.

Any thoughts?

04-Sep-22
Sounds like an issue with the SEVR head. Does it spin true?

04-Sep-22
I’m going to check cause that’s my last guess honestly

04-Sep-22
So how are they flying? Cork screw, fish tail, proposing?

04-Sep-22
More porpoising. Honestly missing all over-high low left & right.

5-6” out at 40 compared to field points and Iron Wills

04-Sep-22
Spin testing is a good place to start.

Hard to analyze on line when there isn't a consistent problem.

04-Sep-22
Weird, I thought mech heads were sposed to fly so great.?

04-Sep-22
It could also be your form, although mechanicals should not be as sensitive. Field points are awful forgiving. I shoot broadheads. If I'm not level, light with my grip, and steady it ain't going anywhere near my fieldpoints.

04-Sep-22
That really shouldn't matter if shooting a drop away rest (Assuming) most do?

04-Sep-22
I shoot a Hamskea Trinity & don’t have contact.

I’d have to imagine if it were a form issue that the 1 3/8ths Iron Will wide head would exacerbate the issue-yet they are flying as well as I can shoot to 50.

My arrows spin great, going to test the Sevr (I’ve only tried one so far).

04-Sep-22
As always, check the cam timing.

On the Mathews, even if the cable is in the center of the timing hole, it doesn’t mean the cams are in sync.

Learned this first hand.

Also Make sure there is zero contact with the vanes and the drop away.

04-Sep-22
Just spin tested the SEVR-spins fine.

If there were cam timing issues-then wouldn’t an inch and 3/8ths wide fixed blade head have all kinds of issues?

It doesn’t tho, the IW wide’s fly as well as I could ask for to 50 (farthest I’ve shot).

Like on my Rinehart 18-1 shooting the small circle, the IW is in the green out to 50 right along with my field points.

SEVR is well outside of that by a good couple inches. They don’t even fly as well as the IW’s at 30 & 40

05-Sep-22
Are you using the locking screws in the SEVR heads?

05-Sep-22
Seems odd, how well does it shoot a bare shaft ?

05-Sep-22
Simple …but more iron wills .. something is wrong with your mechs tho I would imagine if your bow shoots that big wide fixed head fine to 50 it’s in tune just fine …

05-Sep-22
So is the diameter of the shafts and nocks you are shooting the mechanical head on the same as the shaft/nock combination of the Iron Will?

05-Sep-22
Have you tried switching arrows? Shoot the arrows that are shooting IWs good with the SEVRs and vice versa. Also just weigh all the arrows with your broadheads on for confirmation. If they spin true, weigh true, I just can’t comprehend how you’d have an issue with a mech when a FB is shooting great. IW are crazy accurate but still

Do you also have any other heads to just try?

05-Sep-22
I suspect your head weights are possibly mismarked. I use a piece of shaft with a threaded insert at each end and a cord tied at the middle, put a different head at each end and see if they are truly equal. You could also use a reloaders grain scale to proof the markings.

05-Sep-22
Greg-yes sir I have the Sevr in practice mode & have the locking screw in place so the blades don’t deploy.

I’m shouting the exact same arrows for each head (brand, weight, fletching, insert etc).

Bow shoots bare shafts as well as I am able to.

05-Sep-22
So how far is it from the front of the insert (where it contacts the arrow shaft) to the point end of the mechanical head?

05-Sep-22
It’s probably half inch longer than the Iron Will wide I’m shootings, if that

05-Sep-22
Hmm.....when I have funky broadhead flight (and after I make sure it isn't me) I always start looking at spine, and clearance. But 1/2" shouldn't make a significant difference in dynamic spine reaction if all the heads are the same weight, and if you are getting good, consistent flight with the other combo. it doesn't sound like a clearance thing.

This one is a mystery.

05-Sep-22
I agree with M. Pauls. Probably a specific arrow problem. That would be where I looked next.

05-Sep-22
I’ll try a different arrow, maybe nock tune with that specific Sevr & arrow combo.

Just seems really strange to me

05-Sep-22
Why not just roll with the IWs??

05-Sep-22
Just had similar issue , broadheads acted strange with lighted nocks.

05-Sep-22
Opening in flight…?

05-Sep-22
Sevr is in practice mode

05-Sep-22
I just had the same issue shooting the V100 iron will and the 1.5” Sevr. Mine ended up being the arrow that the Sevr was on. Just got a dozen of the Easton Axis 4MM arrows and for some reason that one arrow does a cork screw in the air. Can’t seem to figure out why, but it’s just that one arrow so I’ll just strip it down and refletch it and see if maybe it’s a defect in the fletching.

05-Sep-22
Did you try a 3rd brand of broadhead? I would shoot a third one & if it flies good for you throw the sevr away

05-Sep-22
Turn nock 1/4 turn at a time and shoot it. I would switch arrows and try it also! Hunt

05-Sep-22
I’ve shot both those heads. There’s something wrong with the arrows, cause it ain’t the heads. It ain’t the bow cause it shoots FP’s and IW’s fine. Only missing link is the arrows. Take an arrow that shoots an IW perfect and screw a SEVR on that arrow. Spin test and let us know results of shooting that.

06-Sep-22
^^^ agreed

06-Sep-22
That’s my only guess as well. Gonna turn the nicks 1/4 since I 4 fletch and try that. There’s no way these mech’s shouldn’t fly great with as little exposed blade as they have.

I’m excited to get them flying well as I like having multiple options.

Course I’m only whitetail hunting timber, 40 would be a long shot. But never know when I’ll see a yote or something.

09-Sep-22
What happened with this? You can't ask everyone for help and not give the final update :)

10-Sep-22
Have had similar issues, after paper tuning and achieving a perfect hole with a fletched shaft many times have to still make a rest adjustment to make a fixed blade hit with your field points hence broadhead tuning the adjustment needed to correct that IW is likely gonna be significantly more then would be needed for your sevr, I seen this happen shooting G5 dead meats against a standard 100gr IW I would guess theirs a left or right tear in your bow

10-Sep-22
Lighted nocks were the culprit with my flight issues. Went back to standard nocks and Grim Reaper, Exodus, and field points all grouping together out to 80

10-Sep-22
Heard the Op’s wife lost her job and they were having to move like 3000 miles... so he had to sell his Mathews. Turns out he had leveraged his house against the bow purchase. Sad deal but it’s happening all the time. ;)

10-Sep-22
Come on homie. Tell us what you found out.

10-Sep-22
You can likely always get 2 of the 3 to hit together but to group all 3 combos at same POI is gonna be a stretch unless your super tuned to the 1/10 ° even then a stretch to much variation in flight characteristics among the 3

10-Sep-22
i still think he had mismarked head weights.

12-Sep-22
TTT just waiting on the results.... lol!!!

17-Sep-22
Hey folks, sorry I was out traveling most of the last 2 weeks for work-just had the chance to shoot today.

I must have just been rushing the shot or something cause everything was grouping nicely to 60 despite some wind gusts.

Sevr we’re stacking right in there, I even tried 3 more heads on different arrows in practice mode-all good.

I guess that old adage of it being the Indian & not the bow rings true.

I’ll have half Sevr & half IW in my quiver come deer season

17-Sep-22
I've been known to peek to see the flight and have issues similar to that.

17-Sep-22
I wonder if that’s what I was doing instead of focusing on my form. Rather make that mistake now vs on an animal I suppose!

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear