Starfire 13-Sep-22
flyingbrass 13-Sep-22
Living the dream 13-Sep-22
md5252 14-Sep-22
Bghunter00 14-Sep-22
Tracker 17-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
06-Sep-22
Who has taken Diamox for a high altitude hunt? Any side effects or concerns? Thanks.

06-Sep-22

txhunter58's embedded Photo
I took it for a number of years. It worked and the side effects were tolerable but annoying:

Tingling of my hands, had to pee a LOT, and makes any carbonated beverage taste like bug spray.

Then I started using altitude adjustment. Kept the diamox in my pack for about 5-6 years and never needed it.

My altitude symptoms were not that bad either, but very annoying: shortness of breath, extreme fatigue. Pounding heart (especially when you laid down to rest/sleep) headaches, ect. Nothing life threatening but made the first 3-4 days crappy. I start taking the supplement the day I leave from home if driving. Day before if flying. 1 pack (3 day supply) is $5. Take it for 6 days so costs $10. Well worth it. Taking it as we speak at my cabin at 9000 ft. We arrived Saturday.

06-Sep-22

06-Sep-22
I think wilderness athlete makes a similar one: altitude advantage. Both have Ginko and Gensing among other things

06-Sep-22
Diamox before ascent if you don’t have time to properly acclimatize. Or you have other health issues.

Dexamethasone after symptoms occur But talk to your doctor first and always descend if symptoms are severe.

06-Sep-22

Having time to adjust at mid altitude is the best thing you can do to prevent issues. Staying at 5-6000 ft for a day or two helps a lot. Not everyone has a problem. Aprox 20% at 8000, 40% at 10.000. Also remember the the ibuprophen! I was in the mild category. Of those that have issues, 75% have mild issues.

06-Sep-22
I take it anytime I'm going to be hunting above 9K. I start the day before I leave and for a few days after I arrive. The worst side affect for me is the carbonated beverage taste but no big deal. Cheap insurance.

My doc just has me call in and he sends a script for the generic version to the pharmacy. I think its around $12 and enough for about 3 years.

06-Sep-22
I've taken in for mountaineering objectives. One thing to consider is that it makes you more susceptible to sunburn. Overall I'd recommend it.

06-Sep-22
I have used it on several occasions and would not go without it. Only downside is tgat they recommend not drinking alcohol for two or three days

06-Sep-22
WOW! I guess I am lucky! I've been on several multi-day backpacking trips over 10,000 ft. Never had any symptoms that I could tell. One trip my brother and Uncle both got sick after a day climb to 12,000. Came back to the tents in the afternoon(about 11,000) and they spent the rest of the day/night sick in their tents. I was fine. Next day they felt good enough to hike back out.

ANother time a college buddy and I camped at over 10,000 ft in Wyoming on our way to Salt Lake City. Woke up at 6am and he was leaning against my vehicle. Said he was sick and couldn;t sleep so he was waiting for me to get up to break camp. As soon as we got back down to about 7,000 he felt much better.

06-Sep-22
I take diamox when going to 10k or above. Usually for 2 days total. Start 1 day before ascent. I think it helps a lot. Side affects slightly annoying but not as bad as the 2 day headache I get if I don't take it. I know how diamox works. I don't know how the others work but it seems iffy so I stick with diamox.

13-Sep-22
I tend to get a really bad headache when trying to sleep above 10K'. The Diamox knocks that out. I been up to 15.3K and had no bad altitude symptoms while taking Diamox. I would definitely recommend it. Best to start it 2 days prior to hitting altitude.

13-Sep-22
I tried it. It reduced my symptoms but not completely. Take it ahead of time.

13-Sep-22
I would not go above 6500 ft without it! It's a requirement for me and it's so cheap maybe $10 to endure you don't get sick. I'm ok taking the smaller doze of 125mg twice a day instead of the standard dose of 250mg twice a day.

13-Sep-22
I took it and worked. Side affects were annoying. Tingling in fingers and felt like I was walking into a spider web on my face.

14-Sep-22
Definitely can help but be careful if you have any alcohol while taking it. Will get you way more loopy quick…

14-Sep-22
Thanks for the feedback guys, I went ahead and got a script for it. I typically have a headache and feel off for a few days, but this year I will be at or above 10k feet for almost 2 weeks. I've waited too long for this tag (CO 76) and figure this will be cheap insurance. Appreciate the info, good luck this year.

17-Sep-22
Used it this year for the first time on my WY Elk hunt. I will definitely use it in the future. Nice not having that heart beat pounding at night keeping me up. At 70 my wind is not what it used to be and I was able to climb the MNTs well with no headache.

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear