Jethro 07-Sep-22
Bow Bullet 07-Sep-22
cnelk 07-Sep-22
JohnMC 07-Sep-22
Bow Bullet 07-Sep-22
cnelk 07-Sep-22
bigeasygator 07-Sep-22
06-Sep-22
I'm struggling with something that I think should be pretty simple. Gearing up for our annual backcountry elk hunt and we are trying to communicate with our satellite devices this year. Both devices (InReach Mini & Spot) can text to regular phones with no problems but we cannot get them to "talk" to each other. Anyone have any pointers? I have AT&T and my brother has Verizon as cell providers, don't think this matters but kinda scratching my head right now. Thanks.

06-Sep-22
InReach no doubt.

06-Sep-22
Never had an issue with an inReach talking to another inReach device. Does the SPOT generate a phone number the same way an inReach does?

06-Sep-22
Inreach to Inreach is done via Garmin email. I have zero knowledge of SPOT

06-Sep-22
I don't know anything about Spot, but I'd try this: whoever has Spot send a message from Spot to other guy personal cell phone. Guy 2 then saves that message id number in his cell phone contacts. Then with inreach send message to spot using the saved contact info. If you're bluetoothed to your phone, the inreach should be able to pull up the saved Spot contact info. I think then you will have each others info saved. Maybe?

Don't know if it will work, but I think it will.

06-Sep-22
I would simply have the SPOT guys rent an inReach for the hunt. They are super cheap to rent.

06-Sep-22
I know with Inreach the first text must start from the Inreach device/You can't text a InReach without first receiving a text first. So if Spot the same way I could see how that creates a issue.

06-Sep-22
Matt sent you text

06-Sep-22
I believe SPOT and inreach use different satellites too. Inreach uses iridium network and SPOT uses Globalstar. Maybe that’s in play too.

07-Sep-22
JohnMC is the man! He contacted InReach and asked the question, long story short they cannot communicate with each other. Makes no sense to me, thanks all for chiming in.

07-Sep-22
If they use different satellite networks, it makes sense they can't. Like old days co.outers when nobody thought internet would catch on, they all built there own

07-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
It is not the satellite that is the issue. It is that the conversation must start from the device. Each have that policy so you can't get the conversation started if that makes since.

07-Sep-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
Chat with Inreach

Currently seeing if spot gives a different answer

07-Sep-22

Jethro's Link
Guy over on Rok was able to get it to work.

07-Sep-22
@JohnMC - "I know with Inreach the first text must start from the Inreach device/You can't text a InReach without first receiving a text first."

Curious about that. I've had my Mini since last Christmas and have used it a lot but all my texts I’ve sent have been the canned OK message with no need for a response. If I send a text from my InReach, is there some time limit for the recipient to be able to text me back? As an example, today I'm off hunting somewhere with no cell service so I text my wife from my InReach and she texts me right back. No issue there. But then I'm on a backcountry trip a month from now, do I need to text first then too or is she able to text me first because we've previously traded texts?

07-Sep-22
^^^^ She should be able to reply to that original text

07-Sep-22
What I understand is she would be able to. However if you sent me you inReach number on bowsite then I sent you a msg to your inReach you would not get it.

I chatted with spot they said you should be able to receive a text in Spot from a inReach. I called Matt and he said that was not the case for him and his brother. So interesting dilemma

07-Sep-22
Thanks John and Brad. What I understand you saying is initiate the first text from an InReach to a new cell number and that will allow that number to initiate texts to the Inreach in the future. Good to know.

07-Sep-22
Remember - the InReach can also send messages to email addresses, not just text [SMS]

EDIT: The InReach has three ways to communicate - Text - Email - iR to iR

07-Sep-22
What I understand you saying is initiate the first text from an InReach to a new cell number and that will allow that number to initiate texts to the Inreach in the future. Good to know.

Yup. That's apparently the only way for either device - Spot or inReach - to communicate with anyone else. The conversation has to be initiated from the device, which is why the Spot and inReach can't communicate with each other (my guess is this is regardless of whether you converse via phone or email, though it's worth someone testing that). They obviously have made an exception for inReach to inReach communication.

• Sitka Gear