tthomas 16-Sep-22
Blood 16-Sep-22
Ambush 17-Sep-22
PoudreCanyon 17-Sep-22
Ambush 17-Sep-22
Snag 18-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
11-Sep-22
Coffee addict here looking for alternatives. I plan on a few short overnight stays. Keeping things minimalist I don't want pack in a jet boil or etc but I know I'll be jonesing for caffeine. Looking at capsules or powder alternatives

11-Sep-22
Starbucks makes 'Via' instant, it's passable hot, and not awful cold. It comes in small packets that are very easily packable. I'm no fan of the Starbucks corp, but ... a man has gotta have his coffee. You can buy it in grocery stores. The French Roast is the strongest one.

11-Sep-22
I always bring mtn ops ignite trail packs on my camping trips. But if it’s simply the caffeine you want, get a bottle of caffeine tablets from the local drug store and call it good!

11-Sep-22
Folgers makes the same thing as Starbucks. Small packets that mix easy in hot or cold. You do not want to have a headache throughout your trip. I would do a test run with the capsules to make sure they work the same. For myself, I know that cold caffeine does nothing for me, it has to be hot in the morning.

11-Sep-22
Hot would be nice but I'm thinking a cold mix or tablets may at least keep the headache at bay. I tend to suffer from occasional headaches at elevation anyway. I can bring my jetboil but I would rather save the weight and just as importantly the time by skipping the boil. I'm gonna check out the instants mentioned above. Might not be great at ambient temp out of a water bottle but it might serve the purpose.

11-Sep-22
I have tried several of the above and the last couple years have been using Black Rifle Coffee instant coffee single packs. Bold good tasting and easy.

11-Sep-22
Tea bags and a small candle?

11-Sep-22
Black rifle coffee company makes their coffee in bags (like a tea bag) for the backpacker! Great tasting coffee too.

11-Sep-22
No such thing…Lol

11-Sep-22
Roy, I have only had the BRC instant in the little tubes. would be nice to compare both to see if taste the same.

11-Sep-22
Folgers tea bag type just need hot water cheap easy and good

11-Sep-22
If it’s just the caffeine you want, can get Wilderness Athlete Energy and Focus drink mix and add it to your water.

11-Sep-22
Make yourself a “pop can” alcohol stove and get a titanium cup. A couple ounces of alcohol is all you need for a couple cups of coffee. Weighs a few ounces all together and fits neatly in the cup.

The tubes are handy but expensive. Nobody remember the jars of instant coffee everybody had in the cupboard years ago? Same thing only much cheaper than tubes.

11-Sep-22
Never have traveled so light I couldn't or wouldn't pack a stove of some sort. Whether a simple hobo stove or a liquid fuel stove of some sort. So I always have some sort of hot beverage.

11-Sep-22

BOHNTR's Link
Here’s the link for the brewed coffee bag.

11-Sep-22

BOHNTR's Link
Here’s the link for the brewed coffee bag.

11-Sep-22
I'm an 'instant' drinker and the day I find boiling water too much of a hassle you can just bury me.

11-Sep-22
Fdp-sheer laziness on my part in that I'm trying to skip a stove. The exact scenario is a waterhole I plan on hunting is a pretty good hump in for a 60 yo. I want to carry in basic sleeping arrangements. Hunt the waterhole till pitch dark. Bivouac out for the night with minimal gear and cold food hunt in the morning and make my way out. I'll likely do this at least a couple times. If I was staying for more than just a night I would have my stove. Making coffee on a cold am in a pack tent and the clean up takes time and effort and brrr. I'd like to pound some caffeine drink put my boots on and take off hunting. It's cold I tend to want get moving as soon as I can. If it was more than just a short night I would be more equipped

11-Sep-22
I’m always looking for ways to cut weight. The one thing I’d never cut out is my jetboil. Having warm oatmeal and coffee in the a.m. is a big deal not to mention a hot meal getting back to spike camp after a long day is priceless.

11-Sep-22
crystal lite makes caffeinated fruit drink packets.

11-Sep-22
I’m with Straight Shooter, my jet boil is never something I’ll leave behind. I just get it started when I roll out of my sack, and by the time I have my clothes on it’s boiling. By the time I have my boots on, my coffee is half drank and gotten my bowels moving. By the time I’m done taking care of business, my coffee is empty and I’m ready to roll. It’s all like clockwork. ;-)

Matt

11-Sep-22
Just get some Vivarin caffeine tablets. If you have never taken them, each pill is about the equivalent to a cup of coffee.

11-Sep-22
Chocolate covered Expresso Beans are da bomb. I pack them for occasions when I don't have the time and/or inclination to break out the stove and water. My local supermarket carries them.

11-Sep-22
https://www.amazon.com/Primula-Stovetop-Espresso-Classic-Cafetera/dp/B001J1L59E/ref=asc_df_B001J1L59E/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167131408724&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14463895384663017562&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008810&hvtargid=pla-276178527343&psc=1

11-Sep-22
I collect those little espresso pots. The 1 cup model will make a single shot of espresso over a tiny twig fire or backpacking stove in a couple minutes

11-Sep-22
5 hour Energy. Small bottles, 2 per day. 1 for morning, 1 for afternoon. As the OP mentioned, not only weight savings, also time savings.

12-Sep-22
5 Hour Energy or the chocolate covered expresso beans. Small enough that you can take both.

12-Sep-22
Pour over coffee filter, your favorite cofffee and 8oz of warm piss. TBM taught me that so you can thank him. ;)

12-Sep-22
You can pack in a can of Starbucks double espresso. I drink them when I need to get up and get moving in a hurry.

12-Sep-22
Not to coin a phrase, I'm with Ike. A jet boil, or similar stove, and my old steel military canteen cup, and I can make cowboy coffee any day of the week. Goggle it. It's very easy to make. If you don't want to take a stove, substitute fire.

12-Sep-22
Hobo Coffee-A reciepe I learned from my Grandma who learned it directly from the hobos: Put a spoonful of coffee in your cup. Fill with boiling water. Let it sit until grounds settle to the bottom. Sip gently and enjoy! Grandma used to make me hobo coffe and molasses cookies at least once a week during the winter.

12-Sep-22
2X Ike.

12-Sep-22
as mentioned, without a cook stove or campfire tea bags are a caffeine alternative.

i'm sure you thought through this but i'd recommend you reconsider and take a light-weight packable cook stove. it makes a world of difference for enjoyment and comfort.

12-Sep-22
I'd just pack in a can of BRC Espresso.

12-Sep-22
Nunn electrolyte tablets. The Energy ones have caffeine.

12-Sep-22
TMI Grey Ghost....................TMI! ;-)

12-Sep-22
I'm not a coffee drinker, actually like the taste but when I used to see people who couldn't function without it, I stopped. Not the point of this thread, but would a sterno can work? Seems you open, light it and when done cover it again. Small and light to pack.

12-Sep-22
What about edible coffee beans? I just Google them, and it seems to be a good sized selection.

13-Sep-22
tobywon I backpacked for years with a folding Sterno stove. Worked great just slower than the Jetboil types

13-Sep-22
Sticksender X 2! Espresso beans are like crack(I’m assuming) I used to eat them all day while stalking the Mullies in the NM Sandia mountains. I’m not the most efficient hiker around, so they’d help me all day! Kinda like running NOX thru your Volkswagen!

13-Sep-22
Whiskey.

13-Sep-22
There IS no substitute for actual coffee. Full stop.

But the chocolate covered coffee beans are damn tasty!

14-Sep-22
Sprout's Instant, Medaglia D'oro, or Nescafe Instant. All decent in a pinch but not as good as a real brew by any means.

14-Sep-22
Via coffee packets or NUUN Energy with caffaine.

16-Sep-22
Just take a tylenol and your head ache will be gone. I agree that a jet boil is worth the weight, and you probably save weight with a Mountain House instead of other real food

16-Sep-22
Riverbender, go buy a pre workout powder. 150-300 milligrams of caffeine plus creatine and more good stuff. Mix and enjoy. There’s lots out there if all you want is caffeine. There’s some really good ones of you want more than that.

17-Sep-22
Just back from a short three day trip and I forgot the coffee. I missed it.

17-Sep-22
I use Starbucks Via’s when I’m hunting. It’s just barely better than no coffee at all.

17-Sep-22
^^^ I now use Black Rifle tubes. Tastes the same, but they are bow and gun friendly so it's definitely more satisfying.

And you can buy it in little jars too. But then I just have a jar of old school Sanka or Nabob instant.

18-Sep-22
I’ve always just ground beans and done a simple filter/drip into my cup. Fresh and light weight.

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear