fdp 18-Sep-22
14-Sep-22

Hessticles's Link

14-Sep-22
DAAANGGG!! That is frightening.

14-Sep-22
Lucky guy....

14-Sep-22
That’s rough. Thank God it was a target point. And huge props to him for keeping his cool and getting his help together. Extreme High Marks for Badassery.

Such a normal sounding thing to do, but ya know…. There’s a reason that you don’t let anyone shoot with anyone down-range. Ever.

Not a judgment; just such a harsh reminder.

FWIW….

When my boys were small and I was going to go shoot out in the yard, I would make it a point to tell my wife where I was and what I was doing and request that she keep an extra close eye on the boys. And we told the boys not to EVER go outside when dad was shooting…

And one day just I was I was settling into my anchor, my older son (then five) burst out of the bushes about halfway between me and the target. I can still see him mid-leap.

Your world can end just that fast, fellas. Thank God that my reflexive response was to let down. I barely missed hitting a deer in the hoof one morning when she picked up a hind leg just as I was releasing. The arrow went EXACTLY where my eye led it. Lucky for both of us, she froze at the sound of the shot. If she’d moved another inch, it would have been the tracking job from hell….

15-Sep-22
The news said he was shot in the "side" and the wife described him as having trouble breathing... I saw the arrow. It was in his left lung. 100% guarantee he had a pneumothorax and ended up with a chest tube. I don't buy the bow "malfunction" either. What I do buy is the kid probably didn't know what he was doing and hit the release, or let the arrow tilt off the rest.

15-Sep-22
I agree Thornton. Looking at the video it sure looked like it must have hit the lung and from the symptoms they describe pneumothorax was the likely cause!

15-Sep-22
I'm having a hard time visualizing this - even allowing that the "bow malfunctioned and the arrow veered off". Was the guy forward of the shooting line? Because if he was behind it, something smells. If he was forward of the line...

15-Sep-22
Sounds like he was in front of the kid shooting when he went to the fence to talk to the neighbor kid. That arrow might have not had a field point on it when the kid shot because they said they didn’t find the tip. Thankfully, it sounds like the man will make a full recovery.

15-Sep-22

Malfunctioned bow? Not buying it.

15-Sep-22
Was it a crossbow? Did the kid have his finger on the trigger? Seen a few 'malfunctions' that were actually 'jackass failing to follow fundamental rules of weapon safety.' Like being forward of a firing line. Or maybe in this case, failing to *establish* a safe firing line/range.

15-Sep-22
Malfunction = NOPE

15-Sep-22
If you look at the picture of where it happened and where the guy was shot, it definitely appears that he walked in front of the boy shooting to talk to the neighbor. Not a malfunction, bad safety practices… That kid is probably a mess!

15-Sep-22
does anyone care whether anyone here "buys" it.

15-Sep-22
Dude and kid are very lucky that he wasn't spine shot, wasn't practicing with broadheads, wasn't with a higher poundage bow that would have had a pass-through, wasn't a neighbor kid who got hit, etc. So many ways this could have gone much worse.

15-Sep-22
Ugh, I don't even want to click on the link. Regardless of what the actual facts are, I hope the father and son both recover and learn from the incident.

Matt

15-Sep-22
Yikes - that's scary as heck!

15-Sep-22
That’s not good praying for full healing.

15-Sep-22
I was shooting into a round bale one time. My roommate had 2 young boys that were running around and watching me shoot. I drew back at one point and realized there was only one boy watching, and could not see the other? I let down and asked the one where his brother was? He said he didn't know? All of a sudden he jumped up from behind the bale like he was going to scare me when I shot!!! Boy, did he get an ass chewing, freaked me right out. Others need to pay attention when someone is shooting, but the shooter always needs to pay attention to their surroundings.

15-Sep-22
Since they didn’t find the blunt tip (their words, not mine) I wonder if the arrow was missing the field point when it was shot. That alone could cause extremely erratic flight and cause it to veer off course, plus it would help explain minimal penetration.

15-Sep-22
One day I was target practicing along side of our garage. As I was aiming and about to release, my wife walked around the end of our garage directly into my site picture. Had she not yelled my name a fraction of a second before that the arrow would have been on its way. I still shudder when I think about that incident. Now, I always make a point of telling her when I'm practicing.

Matt

16-Sep-22
If they didn’t find a steel point on the x-rays, then there wasn’t one.

@GG - that was what was so scary when my son jumped out. We had a whole safety protocol all worked out; everything we could control was under control.

But it didn’t prevent my five year old from Being Five. Fortunately, I didn’t prevent him from Being Six.

16-Sep-22
When me and my buds were dopey little kids, we use to shoot at each other with those little toy fiberglass bows and wood arrows with no points. At the time, we were too stupid to realize we were playing with fire. Luckily no eyes got poked out.

17-Sep-22
Its generally better to shoot at a designated range with backstops, etc. Prayers and quick healing for him and his family. I had a carbon arrow that had a crack I did see, slam into the wall of the archery booth once. Bows generally don't malfunction. In the incredible rarity that they do, no one, absolutely no one should be down range.

A number of years ago my brother and I were at a 3-D shoot and as an arrow is just about to be released here comes a kid running back through the course to recover something he left on top of the bale. Didn't see him due to the foliage and he just popped out at the face of the target. My brother did pause maybe because of a noise etc. but damn that was close.

Also, tips do come loose in the quiver occasionally and more than once has someone shot a 3-D with a tipless arrow.

17-Sep-22
Dang..that's scary

17-Sep-22
GG x2 on both posts. Makes me sick to think about how bad it could have been.

I was shooting as normal. In my side yard. My wife came out the back door and walked around the side walk as I was settling in on the draw. About to release the bow.

My range is my side yard. About 18 feet wide, defined by a row of blue spruce I planted along the side of the house. Narrow lane.

I don’t know how I’d lived with myself had the timing been different. Praise The Lord it wasn’t.

I pray they both learned something. I know we both did.

17-Sep-22
A string could break a rest could break a limb could fail And the arrow could go flying anywhere there’s simply can’t be anyone off to the side down range no matter how far to the right or left

17-Sep-22
"Bows generally don't malfunction."

Generally, maybe, but they do malfunction occasionally. I've seen plenty of limbs fly apart back in my competitive archery days. I had it happen on one of my Mathews Conquest bows in a tournament. One of the most memorable times was when Aron Snyder's Bowtech General literally exploded in a 3D shoot. Parts went flying everywhere. The funny thing was, his arrow actually hit the 10 ring. After that we always called them "Blow-techs".

I think modern limb technology has mostly eliminated that problem, fortunately.

Matt

17-Sep-22
That’s scary ! Hoping that the family’s medical needs can be provided for. The only thing I ever had to worry about was my dog or cat. It seemed like every time I shot, they would wander over around my targets.

18-Sep-22
I accidently shot my neighbors damn cat when my bow malfunctioned.

Took, like, five shots and had to finish it with a shovel.

18-Sep-22
Thanks for a chuckle on a grim thread!

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear