JL 15-Sep-22
kota-man 15-Sep-22
MA-PAdeerslayer 15-Sep-22
Thornton 15-Sep-22
Mtfury 16-Sep-22
Basil 16-Sep-22
fdp 18-Sep-22
15-Sep-22
Will be taking a rifle across border via car for first time. I know to pre-fill out the form, don't sign until in presence of customs officer inside.

Do they want you to take gun in? Do they come the vehicle to see gun? When coming back into the US is anything done at that point?

Thanks guys

15-Sep-22
I've only did this once so take that into account.

The border patrol asked why we were going to Canada and when we told him bear hunting he asked if we had any firearms. Asked to see the gone, the firearms form, and where the ammo was. After going over things we were sent on our way in a short time.

No questions asked coming back to the states.

15-Sep-22
It depends on what crossing you're using and how busy they are. Last time crossing at Pembina into Canada....we had to lay our rifles outside on an inspection bench at they looked at them there. This last trip in May thru a remote crossing going to Alexis's place....they didn't want to look at them.

I'm pretty sure they share info (US and Canada) so if you're coming back south, they didn't want to see it. They have pics of your truck, license plate, etc going in and will know who you are before you even get up to the window going out. Coming back thru Pembina in May, the CBP agent just said hello, asked about the hunting and sent us on our way.....45 - 60 seconds tops. I could tell he was running our license plate before we even got up there.

15-Sep-22

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
May want to have the CBP 4457 also ready for your return. The last three times flying back I was asked for it.

15-Sep-22
Bou

We've had firearms in our vehicles several times for folks we traveled with and never had an issue.

Have your paperwork ready, use trigger lock on your locked case, and the bolt out. Ammo in separate area.

You may or may not need to bring the firearm inside for inspection we've had them checked inside their HQ as well as outside in the inspection bay.

15-Sep-22
Same for me. Bolt out, locked case. Quick visual inspection at the vehicle.

15-Sep-22
In 2021...We stopped at the US side before crossing just to make sure we didn't need to do anything prior to crossing. They/we filled out the Certificate of Registration forms. The officer said we wouldn't have to stop again as long as we had the same guns and paperwork.at the Canadian border they'll ask questions at booth them have you pull over and go inside. They were very adamant about not taking guns inside! They actually took my truck keys and gun case keys and checked the guns while we were inside. Process took about 30 minutes

15-Sep-22
I'll rephrase one sentence. Have a trigger lock on the firearm, and travel with the case locked. The Can-Customs agent at the St Stephens crossing gave a buddy grien for not having both.

Otherwise it's been smooth sailing going and coming.

15-Sep-22
good info. I was thinking about a soft case, but will take both and fly in on float with soft.

15-Sep-22
At Pembina we were told DO NOT bring the guns inside...hence the outside inspection benches. Different places...slightly different rules. Just cover all of your bases.

Also...the US Custom firearm form....I've had it but never been asked for it by the US side when crossing by vehicle. If you're flying commercial...I could see the TSA asking for it. One of the CBP guys said if you got into Canada with it and have your Canadian paperwork...that is used as confirmation on the US side.

15-Sep-22
I travel to Canada WTH firearms quite regularly.

1. Have both the Canada Form AND the US 4457 for the return. 2. Procedure is all over the board depending on the crossing. My experience has been that they don’t want you bringing the rifle inside. 3. Have your bolt out with a trigger guard on. They appreciate that.

99% of the time, it is painless both ways. I’ve crossed enough both ways that they rarely want to see the firearm. In fact I can’t remember the last time anyone looked. If you have any specific questions, pm me Grant. Most everything posted above is spot on.

15-Sep-22
Bou where you heading? Obviously Canada but, Moose hunt?

15-Sep-22
Do as stated above, but they had me bring mine into a room and checked them both times I went to Manitoba.

16-Sep-22
Been to Saskatchewan many times with a rifle. be sure to keep your ammo in a separate bag and do as they say, it is very easy as long as you do as they ask. Side note: I always stop on the US side and have them inspect the firearm and give you a form that makes it easier to bring the firearm back to the US.

16-Sep-22
Just follow their instructions when they say pull around. They may instruct you to stay in the vehicle or come in with or without the firearm. Once coming into the states I had to pull around to declare an animal. I asked the agent inside if he needed to see my weapon or paperwork. Apparently a 2nd amendment guy he said “ well you didn’t steal it did you?” I replied no sir and he winked at me and said “get the heck out of here & have a safe trip”. Can be a very intimidating process either way depending on the mood of the agent.

18-Sep-22

• Sitka Gear