Ambush's embedded Photo
Probably a mature female.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Probably a mature female.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Left side makes him legal.
Ambush's embedded Photo
Left side makes him legal.
Ok, so I did a stupid thing. A very stupid thing. A very, very stupid thing.

I was sitting in an elk treestand over a little waterhole/mineral lick. I see coming through the thick vegetation what I think is a doe whitetail only when it emerges I see it's a cougar. I have a tag in my pocket!! Then my mind goes back to a week before, hunting the same spot, my buddy and I casually wonder when the season opens incase of the long shot that one could be seen. We never resolved it and didn't think about it again. Until now! So now I have a good chance to arrow this cat at thirty yards as he drinks or stands up. I'm franticly trying to validate the season on an app on my phone while the cat gets up and slowly pads away. Just as he disappears I get the "Season Open" icon ! Grab a elk calf call and start chirping plaintively. And it wasn't fake 'cause I was in distress! No dice and no cat. What a dummy.

Did I say I did a stupid thing? Make that two.

I called a big 5X5 into my stand. It's dark, gloomy and thick in this bush, but at eighty yards I quickly confirmed it was a big five that was on a traill cam from earlier in the month. Or so I thought. Another DOH!! A pic of this one shows about two inches of beam hidden behind his fifth which I thought was his beam tip. We need six points to be legal.

I also had a big 6X6 get in about twenty five yards behind my treestand, where I couldn't shoot him and just stare up in the tree for two minutes before trotting of with a couple of big bull barks.

To add insult to injury another bull chuckled about eighty yards back in the jungle while "my" bull left. Between him and me, he was the only one that thought it was funny.

17-Sep-22
Dang it, Rod!! That’s a kick in the shorts!

At least you’ve got the memories of the experiences to relive, over and over and over….

17-Sep-22
Look on the bright side, you haven't started any political threads on Bowsite so it can't be that bad.

18-Sep-22
Double OOF! That’ll haunt ya for a bit!

18-Sep-22
Clearly it's Trumps fault

18-Sep-22
Sounds like a great spot. Stick with it and good luck!

18-Sep-22
Dang, what a terrible missed opportunity.

18-Sep-22
Doh!!!!!

18-Sep-22
Yep. You did a stupid thing on that cat.

I’ve done dumber though. Good luck.

18-Sep-22
Rod, Rod, Rod, you must be getting OLD like me. I had a Bull sneak in on me the other day to about 15 yards then he busted me when I tried to get my bow up.

• Sitka Gear