smarba 20-Sep-22
Biobow 20-Sep-22
Beendare 20-Sep-22
spike buck 20-Sep-22
Murph 21-Sep-22
18-Sep-22
What are you guys using for a point? Judo, blunt, something else? Thx Pete

19-Sep-22
Real Judo points - not other brands -work for me. Tried some G5 SMG and the broke easier.

19-Sep-22
I prefer broadheads. But if hunting over dogs then judos are a better option.

19-Sep-22
I have always shot Judos. Every knock-off I have tried has been Junk-O.

Rubber blunts… I haven’t tried one on a grouse but I don’t know why not. Square hit, it seems like a rubber blunt out of a compound would just about pluck that bird for you! Pheasants, I can see broadheads or Ace Hex heads doing it. Anything that seems to be able to shake off an ounce of #5 might not tip over just from a blunt. Of course, I know a guy who killed a beef bull with one from his recurve, so never say never, right?

19-Sep-22
Just throw rocks at them. Save your arrow.

19-Sep-22
LOL. I'd like to know how many of you guys have actually killed a grouse with a rock or stick. I'm betting not many.

I prefer the G5 small game heads. They group better than judos for me, and are more durable, YMMV.

Matt

19-Sep-22

bowhunter1's embedded Photo
bowhunter1's embedded Photo
Look at this YouTube video, I shot all these grouse with a Judo point

19-Sep-22
Bowhunter1 that is the funniest thing I have seen on bowsite. Not a direct link to YouTube, not embedded video, not a link you can cut and paste to a browser. A picture of the web address! I love it.

19-Sep-22
Thanks John, honestly I have been waiting for some bashing on that post.

19-Sep-22
Not bashing at all. It made my day I laughed out loud.

19-Sep-22
I know , your response made me smile and my wife asked me what I just read , I told her and she called me a dumbass ,

19-Sep-22
I’ve killed a few Spruce grouse with sticks and rocks. But in some places they are dumber than dumb. I haven’t killed a “fool hen” in years because I don’t like the dark tough meat. Ruff’s are a very different story, at least here. I’ve shot lots with a bow, but most are in tight brush, so not easy and they’re spooky. I’ve had the best luck with small, hard blunts and the G5 SGH. Trouble with the G5’s is they’re expensive and they lose prongs in rocky ground.

If you are going out to purposely target grouse, then flu flu’s do save some arrows. But the range sucks and impact is less traumatic.

19-Sep-22
No doubt she knows you better than anyone, so I will take her word on it. ;)

19-Sep-22
Steel blunt. Simple and works great for small game and stump shooting.

19-Sep-22
I shot several Spruce Grouse this week with Bateman adder points and a field point.

20-Sep-22
Rubber blunts save broken arrows when you hit rocks, hard soil, etc. Here in NM every backdrop is generally hard (no moss, no soft black soil, etc.) and with Judos I'd break arrows regularly. Switched to rubber and they are just as deadly but much fewer broken arrows. Now they will ricochet and skim, but usually pretty easy to find.

20-Sep-22

Biobow's embedded Photo
Biobow's embedded Photo

20-Sep-22
A washer behind a FP works….

20-Sep-22

spike buck's embedded Photo

21-Sep-22

Murph's embedded Photo
Murph's embedded Photo
Just got home from a Wyoming deer hunt. As I did not harvest a deer on the trip the grouse numbers were in full force. Killed a blue in the forest the first night and to follow ,2 limits of sage grouse in the sage brush before the trip was over. Shot a blunt for all, devastating ,and penetrates at times but no meat damage!!!

• Sitka Gear