x-man 23-Sep-22
Blood 24-Sep-22
Blood 24-Sep-22
APauls 24-Sep-22
Pete-pec 24-Sep-22
21-Sep-22
Hi Folks,

Long time, no post, but here we are.

My eyes are starting to not be quite what they were, and I'm not sure if maybe I just wasn't as aware of this situation because it never ended up in front of me.

But I'm having a problem with low light shooting conditions - as it gets close to legal quitting time I can see my pins (yay!) but not my target (much less exciting).

I've heard of people centering their pin on the animal, then going in to their peep and shooting.

I've also heard of folks shooting with both eyes open in that scenario (can't do that, my eyes get all wonky)

I've also heard of folks using the little gap between where your peep actually is and where the two halves of the string meet - I guess that could work if you knew how to compensate but i'm not sure how that makes the situation better.

I know that if I can't see what i'm shooting i'm just going to have to not shoot. That's an obvious answer. But I would rather try and find away to get even just a few minutes of shooting light back if I can.

Thanks!

22-Sep-22
How small is your peep? I would only shoot 1/4" or 5/16" peeps.

You really need to learn to shoot both eyes open.

Post edit... (Not sure why that submitted before I was done typing)

On a serious note, which eye is dominant for you? If your off eye takes over with both eyes open, maybe you're shooting the wrong handed bow. I can't imagine shooting with one eye closed. If you really can't shoot with both eyes open, and if you already have a 5/16" peep, then you may need to look into a No-Peep or similar system.

22-Sep-22
Shooting with both eyes open is not always an option. I shot with both eyes open all my life until my vision started degrading. I now have to close or squint my non dominant eye or my eye sight gets all "wonky". Aging isn't always graceful.

22-Sep-22
Old eyes here too.

Compound; I shoot with a 5/16 Specialty archery verifier.

Recurve; I could probably shoot 20 min later- or more with my recurve that I mainly hunt with.

Just a thought not necessarily a recommendation; A kisser button instead of a peep might be the way to go if you want to push your twilight shooting

22-Sep-22
I can't shoot with both eyes open - I forget what its called, but my eyes have a hard time reconciling their 2 images in to one with movement - I'm definitely right eye dominant.

1/4 inch peep is something i'll likely consider after the season - its mid season now and i unfortunately do not have the equipment or no how to do that kind of work on my own (yet, that's also a project I want to tackle sooner than later)

For the verifier, do you find that also helps you in low light ? i have heard that it helps with the "blurry pins clear target" problem.

I do run a nose button currently.

22-Sep-22
Bigger peep and maybe a bigger sight housing to match.

22-Sep-22
Maybe a dumb question but would a different color peep help?

22-Sep-22
Bigger peep. If you're planning to move "up" to a 1/4" peep like you said earlier, that's a sure indication that what you have now is way too small. Remember, we haven't centered the "pin" in the peep since the 90's. Now we center the round sight housing.

22-Sep-22
One thing to add to what X-man brought up. To fine tune your peep to the site housing you can move the site in or out to get the perfect match up.

To much gap in peep to site housing can lead to what they call peep fade. You don’t want that either.

To answer your question on peep color. In low light I never noticed a difference in the amount of light my eye took in with a color (blue peep).

22-Sep-22
Verifier XL

22-Sep-22
Thanks everyone! This is all helpful. Will definitely look in to a bigger peep this off season.

One thing I've noticed that definitely isn't helping my situation is i'm getting some peep rotation, where it's not actually lined up quite right, so I'm not getting the light that I should.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix that without a bow press or taking to a shop?

23-Sep-22
You can try to rotate your D-loop slightly so that when you pull back it brings the peep more square to your eye.

24-Sep-22
Also, if you have string silencers that go through your string above your peep, you can push them up or down and it will slightly rotate your peep.

24-Sep-22
Also, if you have string silencers that go through your string above your peep, you can push them up or down and it will slightly rotate your peep.

24-Sep-22
Swapping a peep or even string mid season isn’t as big a deal as you might think. You’ve got all the best parts of the season inn front of you, and one season is too many to waste. A half hour is all it takes to be back up and rolling afterwards.

I’d suggest heading to a pro shop, getting a new peep installed and maybe you need to do your string if you’ve got an old string hood a time as any to do it. Have them help solve your peep rotation issue. Since you’re not changing draw length, arrows or rest, your sights will be bang on as far as gaps etc. you may just have to move the housing a shade of something changed. Maybe move nothing at all.

I think it’s worth the switch. Even in my thirties I look at my life and say I’m not going to draw ____ elk tags more before I die assuming all goes well. One season is too many to waste! There’s no reason to be sitting in the rut and getting down early this year.

24-Sep-22
Eye glasses at low light should help. I've never used a peep, but I know because I only used a kisser, I got a few more years than I would have. Eye glasses are on at that lower light times. It helped considerably.

• Sitka Gear