JL 28-Sep-22
Missouribreaks 28-Sep-22
timex 29-Sep-22
timex 29-Sep-22
Thornton 29-Sep-22
timex 02-Oct-22
fuzzy 02-Oct-22
26-Sep-22
VA youth deer season was this weekend and it's great the number of young hunters father's posting pics on FB. That said and I'm absolutely not trying to be pessimistic but it seams to be from one extreme to the other. The youngest I've seen is 4 and there's been several 14-15 year olds that looked to be 18. My son killed his first deer at 7 and first bear at 9 so again not trying to be negative whatsoever ...but one 4 yo and quiet a few 5,6,7, year olds and a few 15 year olds that look like they have been shaving whiskers already. Just an observation..... What's y'all's thoughts TIMEX

26-Sep-22
I don’t do Facebook but it’s nice to see the tradition passed on. We will need all the help we can get to stand up for our rights going forward!!

26-Sep-22
I have other things to worry about

26-Sep-22
What is the concern that would cause pessimism?

26-Sep-22
I would rather see the youth being successful than some of the stupid stuff for senior citizens, like me. I mean, here are seniors who have hunted for many years, likely killed plenty of deer and now they need a scoped and cocked crossbow to kill a couple of more ? I think seniors, like me, should gracefully bow out of the killing game and preserve the culture for the youth. Personally, I think seniors have become stingy and greedy. Why on earth do I need technology to keep me killing ? When it is time, I will gracefully mature out and make way for the youth.

26-Sep-22
Just goes to show, xguns are so easy even a 4 year old can do it!!!

26-Sep-22
The new saying, "if there isn't a picture on facebook, or where ever, it didn't happen.

26-Sep-22
Not my cup of tea. Being "man enough" to go deer hunting was a right of passage 60 years ago. Little kids stayed home with momma. Now the younger the more bragging rights. Flame on.

26-Sep-22
You can thank the senior citizens for blazing the trail for the scoped and cocked, long ranged crossbow. Don't blame the kids, some of them are just out of diapers. And then, there are the parents.

26-Sep-22
I’m all for getting kids involved in hunting. But having a child of 4-8 years old shoot a cross bow from a baited blind where the cross bow is supported on a rest where essentially all the child does is pull the trigger, is not getting the kid involved. That’s to easy and after a kill or two, there will be little sense of accomplishment and other activities will take over. That’s my opinion. My son started with a vertical bow, at age 12 or so and at 42 is very avid in our sport. He is getting his kids (age 6 and 9) involved by watching him from a blind.

26-Sep-22
Stinkin kids these days, all they wanna do is play video games and play on their phones! Oh wait…

Hey yea, not my cup of tea either. My boys will legally have to wait till 12 to legally kill big game (almost there!) and I don’t think that’s all bad. But just because I would do it differently with my kids, seeing kids out in the bush and killin stuff warms my heart. Especially in this day and age. Different ways to raise kids, and boy, there sure is a lot worse!!

I will say though, I’m sure the small game around our farm can’t wait till my boys hit 12, although if they’re anything like their father, that doesn’t mean a whole lot. Just send more arrows!

26-Sep-22
I like seeing pics of the 5 year olds with a buck 3 times bigger than anything I ever got.. It solidifies that I am not as good a hunter as i think I am... LOL. Mixed feeling on the subject...... I see both sides.... but....

26-Sep-22
Good lord. We all just go around looking for something to be mad about anymore. . . .

Kids Good. Hunting Good. Kids + Hunting=VERY Good.

Simple. Why add a bunch of bullcrap to a very uncomplicated idea.

Missouribreaks. . . . Crossbows. We got it. You hate them. You're the best. You're the moral compass for everyone. everyone bow to Missouribreaks superiority.

(I really shouldn't post before I've had a pop and a chew in the morning)

26-Sep-22
I'm glad families are getting kids out there and enjoying it.

I know my kids wouldnt have been ready at ages as young as noted in the OP... I'm not sure they really are quite yet. They love to go, but they do not have the readiness to actually kill an animal. Maybe in a year or two... Kind of amazes me when I see super young kids at it.

I'm hopeful they will stay "hooked" and be hunters for life.

26-Sep-22
I do not hate scoped and cocked long ranged crossbows at all. However, I do not feel they belong in the archery seasons designed for bows and arrows. And, I believe senior citizen and handicapped policies have been abused. Take it for what it is worth.

26-Sep-22
Kids should start killing when they can make informed and rational decisions. I think we had it pretty correct for many years, now it has become a parents macho thing.

26-Sep-22
I am really excited for kids getting into hunting and fully support youth seasons. I do think a kid should be able to do a majority of the work themselves before going though. Having dad carry a 4 year old into a blind and put the rifle or crossbow on a stand where the kid is just pulling the trigger is too young. At that point it's more about dad and not the kid.

26-Sep-22
Hunting legally is legal hunting. How you choose is none of my business!

26-Sep-22
This is a special youth 2 day gun hunt. Haven't seen a single youth x bow kill pic. Bucks of Indiana posted about the use of the fairly new Moog trypod gun vices as being a major help to young hunters success. And no negativity would be tolerated on their fb page about the extremely young hunters. Again my son killed his first deer at age 7 and he had spent 100s of hours with me in the woods and could kill his share of squirrels with a .22 rifle prior to killing his first deer. I guess I just scratched my head a little and thought to myself...hmmm... when I saw the 4yo proudly displaying his buck

26-Sep-22
Use the Ravin Jack plate mount, they advertise it is accurate out to 200 yards. That is, 200 yards with their tactical crossbow scope !!!

26-Sep-22
I don't have a problem with kids hunting if they're mature enough and capable to do it.

Last weekend I was asked to sight in a 350 Legend for a buddy who wanted his 7 or 8 yr old son to use and hunt on the Whack-a-Doe Weekend. My buddy also wanted me to go with him and his son to the range and help the son work with the gun. 99% of the event was basic gun safety and how to shoot it. When it came time for the actual first shot, there was a guy on the shooting station next to us shooting a AR with a break on it. Each shot sent a percussion blast towards us. I could tell this rattled my buddy's son. He fired his first shot with the 350 and wouldn't shoot it again...even though he hit the bullseye. I asked him if he wanted to take another shot and he said no and started to tear up. I could tell he was very rattled at that point and I didn't want him shooting anymore....his first range day was over. I looked at my buddy and told him his son isn't ready to hunt....maybe try again next year. I could tell my buddy begrudgingly agreed.

Point being in that story.....I think it's the mom or dad who wants their kids to hunt more than the kids want to hunt themselves. As much as we parents want our kids to hunt....don't push them into something they're not mature enough to do. Do an honest gut-check and ask yourself who's ego will get more bruised if the kid's not ready....you (the parent) or the kid's?

26-Sep-22
Imagine the excitement of the parent when the kid " whacks- a- doe " at 200 yards. That is 200 yards folks !

26-Sep-22
I’m hesitant to wade too far in, here, but if the metrics are maturity and rational decision-making, then the discussion really shouldn’t be limited to age.

26-Sep-22
JL I agree 100% with your above statement. I have 2 boys and both have their hunting licenses. My older boy hasn’t and may never hunt a day in his life and I told him “that’s fine but I want you to take the the hunters safety course so you know how to properly handle a firearm should the opportunity ever present itself whether at a friends house or in the woods hunting….safety first.”

As a parent we need to be able recognize whether our child is interested or are they trying to satisfy Dad and are afraid to tell Dad they are not interested in hunting. It is not for everyone and we need to respect their decision.

My younger son is completely different and can’t get enough of hunting, fishing and the outdoors.

26-Sep-22
To play devil's advocate: Is a 12 year old REALLY old enough to make a rational decision? At what age does a kid legitimately question what their parents taught them and start to think for themselves? For me that was in my 20's. Up until then my thoughts were more or less regurgitated thoughts and teachings of my parents. Whether you like it or not until a certain age a child is simply brainwashed by their parents.

IMO whether that kid is 4 or 12, it's morals are still coming from the parents. If you're talking about brainwashed kids hunting....is it really that bad if what you're talking about is the love of hunting?

26-Sep-22
I think most 12 year olds are more advanced mentally than a 4 year old. Maybe not in all cases.

26-Sep-22
Tmac....... My two sons mirror yours. My younger son is an accomplished hunter and fisherman. My older son does occasionally hunt and fish but it's mostly just to spend some time outdoors with his pop......killing is just not in his DNA.

26-Sep-22
I would rather see a child pursue their own dreams, hunting does not have to be one of them.

26-Sep-22
I’m with Bake. This grumpy old fart business just takes us backwards. My oldest was squirrel hunting with me when I had to let him ride my back in the rough going. He had a gun in his hands as soon as he could safely shoot it. The second buck he killed with his Model 94 Winchester was better than any I had killed. He went on to bowhunt and still does. Raise your kids like you want to, they are your kids.

26-Sep-22
To each there own.

ND has a youth season and the kid has to be 11 by the end of the calendar year.

MN has a youth season and they have to be 10.

My daughter shot her first deer when she was 12 during the MN gun season.

26-Sep-22
"......killing is just not in his DNA."

That is a perfectly acceptable understanding. For some folks young and old....killing an animal or a fish is just not something they take too.

26-Sep-22
Well said JL.

26-Sep-22
I can’t wait to take my 6yo out to shoot his first deer in September next near. No better way to gain experience that getting started early. You all can find the most bizarre things to complain about.

26-Sep-22
My son was 7 when he got his first deer. That was the soonest he was ready. I would have been ok had he been 12 too. A few days later he asked if it was ok to feel a little sad for the deer even though he was really excited to eat the deer sticks. I told him absolutely its ok. That's part of taking the life of an animal and being thankful for what it provides us. Any less mature, not age wise but maturity wise, I believe that lesson would be lost. That said, take kids to the woods at any age. Just get them out there and watch what you post online like that other thread is saying.

He's almost 11 now, 3 deer down and super excited for a bigger buck than last year. Heading out for squirrels this week. Safe to say he's hooked.

26-Sep-22
My daughter arrowed her first deer at 9 with a vertical bow. If they can use a legal weapon completely by themselves I have no problem with it. A father aiming a gun or crossbow that’s held in a vice or cradle and letting the kid pull the trigger is ridiculous.

26-Sep-22
Link x2

26-Sep-22
I have seen photos of very young kids with their first turkey using a 12 gauge and wondered what that looked like. I cant picture a 4 or 5 year old shooting a 12 gauge without some major support and assistance. I think many parents do push kids too early in many activities, but I wont come on here and tell you what age is best. I can only say that I'm glad I had my son wait until he was 12. We don't have access to private land or any close agricultural land or food plots and I didn't want him to start off on the wrong foot. We have long walks in some cold weather too, so that played a part as well. Fast forward to now, he's 16 and has taken multiple deer and turkey on state land. He's more into gun hunting and keeps procrastinating with his archery safety course, but high school sports and other activities do get in the way as well.

26-Sep-22
Hunting is absolutely dying.

To all of you who think you need to wait until the kids are older; Some situations, that works. Sounds like a lot of your’s, it has.

But many more it doesn’t. Not every young kid needs to go on the miles deep hikes. In the cold.

There are plenty of gimme style hunts that are perfect for cutting their young teeth on. My youngest began going to sit blinds when he was 2.

He’s now 8. He’s watched me shoot antelope, mule deer, bear and turkey. And he’s killed 2 of his own turkey.

He owns a .243, a 6.5 creedmoor, a 20 gauge, a .410, (2) .22’s. And 2 bows.

He also owns a 4 wheeler. And he goes to work with me. He ties rebar, he floats concrete, and he’s a staple in my customers offices.

Why wait?

Everything has it own circumstances.

Everyone needs to take a good look in the mirror and realize that hunting is dying because too many macho men said….they need to stay with “mama”.

The facts are the facts. Hunting is down and is continuing to go down. I’d dare say it’s because of this old fashioned thinking.

Men used to think the girls should stay home too.

To that I say…..wimp.

26-Sep-22
I saw a mean a while back can't remember the exact words but something like... Hot damn boys...lil man folded up that big 12 point this morn like a cheap lawn chair at 275 paces with the 3 hundred win mag ..... Pictured is a kid in diapers sitting on 180" buck.

26-Sep-22
DConcrete, It sounds like you’re raising him right and like most of us were probably raised.

I think one of the biggest issues against youth hunter recruitment are screens. I have 4 kids from 4-14. All love the outdoors, reading, hunting, and using their imaginations. Kids love all sorts of things when their mind is allowed to idle and not be constantly occupied by a screen. The same reason some very young kids can’t sit still in an event or at church, is the same reason they can’t sit in a deer stand. Deprive them of technology and they’ll do all sorts of things other kids think are boring. My mom bought my kids tablets but I don’t even know where there are and the last time they were used. We have 1 tv and I bet it’s on less than 30 minutes a day and that’s with a wife and one child at home all day.

26-Sep-22

26-Sep-22
I guess I should follow up my post above, now that I've had some caffeine and some chew. I'm really not a happy camper on MOnday mornings. . . .

I have a 9 year old daughter. I'm a horrible parent, but my parents are awesome :) I grew up in the country with an inordinate amount of freedom. My parents' place bordered several thousand acres of Corps of Engineers public land by a big lake. I had BB guns, 22 pistols, horses, ATVs, and from a young age would disappear for hours with no supervision in all sorts of weather. I can remember being 10 or 11, on a half broke horse, riding miles from home with a 22 pistol on my hip like a real cowboy. I had to learn responsibility. If that horse bucked me off (which happened somewhat regularly), I was responsible for catching him and getting back on, or walking home. . . .

I'm trying to give my daughter that same freedom, minus the horses. She has an interest in hunting, but hasn't been ready. I took her last year when she was 8 and she killed her first deer with my AR. She had to work at it this spring and we did 5 or 6 hunts before she got a turkey. She's had a BB gun for several years but this year really got into it and has been hunting frogs with it. She loves it.

I try to make it easier for her. We use my trailer and ebike to get in. Stuff like that. I realize not every kid has the drive I had to hunt and is willing to walk miles and miles. If I have to cater to her to get her to love it, I will. She may not love it. That's ok too. She's really competitive and that's one aspect of why she likes it. She is also really into sports and I imagine she'll like that more growing up.

She liked the deer hunt. Was really interested in the gutting. Was really proud of her little yearling 8 point. She REALLY liked the turkey. Maybe because we had to go more and it was a little harder. We were on turkeys every time, but they always zigged when we zagged. She had to earn it a little more. She was so excited after that shot.

I'll do anything to get that reaction. She was shaking and smiling so hard. Just awesome.

I think parents, who know THEIR kid, should be able to decide when their kid is ready. If they go too early . . . . well, parenting is not pretty sometimes. Sometimes we mess up. But hopefully, those kids will join our ranks. Or at least, when they hit the ballot box in 20 years and a vote comes up, they will look back on their hunts with their parents in a fond manner, and vote accordingly.

My .02

26-Sep-22
I’m wondering how many of these dads are taking their 4 year olds to hunt and not actually having them pull the trigger. I’m guessing a lot of those are the case. I can’t imagine being comfortable allowing a 4 year old to shoot a gun.

26-Sep-22
Also I did live in Virginia for a couple of years and I met hunters that stole treestands, badmouthed archery saying dog gun hunting was the only way to do it, shooting their dogs if they didn’t run deer, giving up on trailing shot deer because they used buckshot while running deer with dogs, getting hammered while dog gun hunting, and yelling at me when I found one of their loose deer dogs and calling them to let them know I had their dog. Yeah I have no doubt a lot of them were the ones pulling their kids trigger. I only lived there for two years and found a lot of them to be people who should not be hunting. Then theirs the beer cans in the river while cat fishing but that’s another story…

26-Sep-22
My daughter shot guns at 4 under controlled circumstances. She also had an ATV at 4 and wrecked it pretty consistently for a couple years. The garage has a bent gutter, she tore siding off the house, one of our young trees lean, and she got 7 stitches in her forehead. . . . She's a really good driver now. Mostly she drives my Ranger. I think she's almost tall enough to drive my truck. When they harvest the beans, if it isn't too muddy, we plan to do some driving lessons in the field in the truck

Recently she wanted to shoot one of my pistols. As a bad parent, I loaded one round in my 9mm and let her bang one off. I forgot to warn her about the slide, and it got her thumb. . . . She still wants to go shoot some more

26-Sep-22
Holy shit spike, based on all of that, none of us should be out there.

What about an old lady that finally draws a tag? Should we assume that grandson shoots all of her deer? Does it happen? Sure. What you just said about parents shooting, yep I bet it does happen.

So that’s good reason for kids to not hunt?

26-Sep-22
Age restrictions should be implemented in all states. A child has no clue what killing is, and most are pushed into it by gung ho dads. An accurate observation was noted on another forum that kids that had to wait til age 12 or 14 were more likely to continue hunting on their own years later. Young children seemed to burn out and not continue the tradition in later years or even have an interest to hunt. A child does not understand anatomy and physiology. Heck, I work with veteran Healthcare providers that won't know where to shoot a deer to kill it quickly.

26-Sep-22
^....I too was quietly thinking about a couple of things along your lines. If a young kid were to be given...or pushed into... all of the same opportunities as an adult, would they burn out quick and loose interest in hunting/fishing/outdoors? Once they got to shoot a few things, would they loose "the thrill" and try to satisfy that need (thrill) in other places not related to hunting or fishing?

26-Sep-22
So….kids are too young to know where to aim…..yet…..you work with medical “professionals” who are adults I assume…..that wouldn’t know where to aim.

Ok.

I guess this is where I have to point out that, working with the children, and teaching them, showing them, and guiding them is where the knowledge of what, when, where and how come into play.

But I will say, your take on taking children hunting appears to be spoken like a man who doesn’t have kids.

And most likely hasn’t taught a lot of people, a lot of different things.

26-Sep-22
Just as there should be age restrictions for youth hunters, there should be age restrictions for senior hunters as well. Afterall, many times, they can be just as risky with poor judgment...

27-Sep-22
D, what I was alluding to is guys that take their 4 year old out to the woods to be able to shoot a deer before the season starts. How do we know that the 4 year old was the one pulling the trigger or if it was hell I’ll take the kid out to the blind and shoot a deer for the freezer. Are you saying that’s not possible?

27-Sep-22
I am not a big fan of special youth big game seasons. In my opinion they are designed to induce adults to take the time to hunt with their kids because most adults for whatever reason don't take small game hunting seriously enough to dedicate time to it.

Lots of lifetime hunters (probably most) learned to hunt small game first, and didn't require a special youth big game season to get hooked. That we think it is needed now is less about kids and more about our priorities as adults.

27-Sep-22
,^^^^^^ this I grew up in NC hunting rabbits, squirrels,doves, quail,ducks etc. here's one for ya. We lived close to a tobacco farm and it was my chores after school to go to the tobacco barns and shoot pigeons with my .22 rifle and have them breasted out for supper. When my father got transferred to the Pentagon in 1972 we moved to VA I had never seen a deer before that. The first time I went deer hunting I was plenty competent to sit by myself with my 12 Guage that my father had shortened the butstock on. I was 12 years old and shot the 3 point buck at 20 yards with oo buckshot in the neck. I had been small game hunting for years prior to killing that deer.

I honestly feel sorry for kids these days could you imagine a kid walking through a neighborhood with a .22 rifle on his way to the woods.

27-Sep-22

MQQSE's embedded Photo
Start them young! My son and his first deer years ago. .243 at 30 yards. Put him on the right path.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Start them young! My son and his first deer years ago. .243 at 30 yards. Put him on the right path.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Here he is last week. Glad he wasn’t lost to video games and other BS.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
Here he is last week. Glad he wasn’t lost to video games and other BS.

27-Sep-22
Start em young!!

Take the time. Make the sacrifice. Start them young.

Let them screw up your hunts.

It’s beyond worth it.

27-Sep-22
toonces: I don't mind youth-only seasons, but I don't believe youth need set-aside bighorn tags, trophy tags, rut hunt tags. THOSE are temptations for parents to pull the trigger, or even put the kid in for those hunts in the first place. Does, cow elk, turkeys, etc. are all great starter hunts for kids. If they are actually serious enough as a youth to be pursuing more elite species or sizes, they should apply in the regular pool.

As far as minimum age restrictions, it should be up to the parent and kid. Our daughter started rifle hunting at 9 and that was a realistic age for her. Other kids might be older or younger. I do question someone as young as 4, but I also question 100-yard bow shots. There's a lot of gray area. Maybe some 4-year olds are ready. Ultimately the parents and kid should be able to make the decision.

27-Sep-22

DConcrete's embedded Photo
Here’s the oldest…..he’s sure burned out…..only 4 weeks on the Utah bow hunt for big bulls….look at him…..doesn’t even want that bow in his hand.

27-Sep-22

Here’s the youngest.

You can’t tell from The photo, but I’m so macho and hung ho about forcing him To hunt. We had to glue the bugle tube to his lips for the photo op.

27-Sep-22

Here’s the youngest with his 16 year old Brother.

You can see the look of torture, and not ready to be in the field, right on his face.

This truly is abuse. He should be home with “mama”.

27-Sep-22

This one is probably the worst. He was 2 when he started going with me too.

We had to hog tie him to get him to even go to Montana for this.

I’m sure taking him young, getting him involved young, has been nothing but a detriment to him.

27-Sep-22

Look at the danger presented here.

You can clearly see; 1. She doesn’t want to be there.

2. It’s very unsafe to have a child handle a firearm.

This is very obvious.

27-Sep-22

Here’s the kick off to the season….they had to endure the 16 hour drive to Kansas.

Then they had to sit it out in the blind and finally were forced to kill these birds on day 2. The worst part? Young brother and sister got a double together.

Man, I can only predict that they won’t be hunting when they’re older. They’re probably already burned out.

27-Sep-22
Keep it up DC!!!!

27-Sep-22
So what is there to be afraid of? What is there to be against?

Some parents might illegally fill their kids tags?

Poaching happens no matter what. You think the poacher will stop if their kid doesn’t have a tag?

Hunting is dying. Kids need to get involved. They need to be involved young as well.

They need to be involved in work young too.

To Anyone that is against taking the kids out young, I’d dare say, you’re chicken that they’ll screw up your hunts.

You’re not big enough to let that happen and to enjoy it.

You’re not big enough to handle the additional responsibilities that come with it. You’re selfish. You’re self centered. And you’re short sighted. Period.

Do my kids go on all of them? Nope. Dad had “his” hunts.

I go through my year, a year or 2 in advance. And strategically plan it for all of us.

Hunting, and taking kids hunting isn’t an all or nothing endeavor.

But to be against youth seasons and all of that, is ludicrous.

What’s the worst that’ll happen? They “took your tag”?

27-Sep-22

smarba's embedded Photo
First hunt
smarba's embedded Photo
First hunt
Similar to DC I took my daughter along turkey hunting every spring from the time she was 10 months old. Kiddee backpack, snacks, diapers, blanket, bottles, etc. She cost me a handful of birds LOL. Matter of fact I never managed to kill one with her in tow, although we came SO SO close! Wouldn't change a thing.

She passed HE and hunted pronghorn age 9. I wasn't 100% positive how she'd do on her own hunt, but we practiced with rifle, she drew aiming dots on every animal in my magazines and she said she was ready so we entered her in the draw. Similar to your family, after crawling 400 yards, sitting on my lap in the hot sun for over an hour for this buck to stand up, and then making a good shot, she stated she'd rather be at home... NOT!!!

27-Sep-22

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
She's managed to draw or get some sort of tag every year since, and we've spent more time afield together than many adults. She even squeaked in a hunt just days before heading off to college this year.

Mainly due to time, she hunts with rifle, but she's tried bow many times for turkeys, we just haven't had it come together.

27-Sep-22
But I still say "elite" tags shouldn't be set aside for youth. My daughter and I helped a friend whose daughter drew a "once-in-a-lifetime" tag at about age 12 and she became SO stressed out to the point of TEARS when things weren't working out. It was way too much for a kiddo with very little hunting experience. Her dad was a serious hunter, but had no business entering her for that hunt, even though in that case everything was on the up and up and she was to be the legit shooter.

27-Sep-22
DC Concrete,

I am not a fan of youth only big game seasons for the opposite reason you suggest. I think youth only big game seasons are designed because some adults are too selfish to take kids hunting during the regular seasons and concentrate on the kids hunt, rather than their own.

Unless its illegal (due to age restrictions) to take kids hunting during regular seasons I don't see any reason for special youth seasons, particularly when there are almost always regular season small game and big game options available and open for adults to take kids hunting.

27-Sep-22
Good point Toonces. I guess I sort of agree with you, which is why I think youth-only should be offered only as options that may be more easy to draw so as to be able to get kids out hunting, such as for does, cows, here in NM female/immature pronghorn, etc. Kids don't need set-aside bighorn tags IMO.

27-Sep-22
I can understand being no special Treatment for big horn tags or something similar in nature. However, I love the ideas of earlier seasons for youth just based on the fact that they can get a crack at the animals before all the regular hunters are out there blowing it up for everyone else.

Contrary to what’s on this forum’s beliefs, not all hunters are good. Not all of them can hunt without a mass disruption.

But again, going back to the facts. Hunting is dying. Some Extra enticement is needed. And I also am not against making it easier for the parents to take the kids out. Whether it’s longer seasons, or the kids can hunt sooner, or whatever the case may be. Making it easier for the parents to do it isn’t a big deal. In fact I’d dare argue, the parents that’ll take all the extra time, are really the more dedicated hunters anyways.

27-Sep-22
Agreed DC. Here in NM some youth-only seasons are just that: nobody else is out. But others are simultaneous with adult hunts and those can be a total cluster. Typically kids need more time to stalk, more time to get set up, etc. so being simultaneous with adults in the field is generally no-bueno.

Also, it's hard to explain, but some amount of work, pain, discomfort, effort is what makes it worth it. Sitting in a warm blind playing video games waiting for a monster buck to walk up to a corn pile isn't going to hook many kids in the long run. Waking up early, hiking, working for it and then having success, or even a close call, is what makes lifelong hunters. It doesn't have to be forced-marches, but some skin in the game is needed.

27-Sep-22

MQQSE's embedded Photo
9 years ago today. Can’t imagine kids not having opportunities at big game.
MQQSE's embedded Photo
9 years ago today. Can’t imagine kids not having opportunities at big game.

27-Sep-22
"Her dad was a serious hunter, but had no business entering her for that hunt,"

Sounds to me like her dad didn't have any business at all even being on the hunt then. I imagine she'd been just as happy shooting a small whatever it was being hunted...

27-Sep-22
So, now we’re down to arguing about when kids should start hunting? You guys are killing me.

Matt

28-Sep-22
I think this thread should be titled “I am afraid little four year olds are killing my deer” (and what needs to be done).

28-Sep-22

timex's embedded Photo
Eddie's first deer
timex's embedded Photo
Eddie's first deer
timex's embedded Photo
First bear
timex's embedded Photo
First bear
timex's embedded Photo
First wahoo age 11
timex's embedded Photo
First wahoo age 11
timex's embedded Photo
Eddie & myself now
timex's embedded Photo
Eddie & myself now
I started this thread and y'all should read the op again. I think it's great getting kids outdoors. My son was fishing with me in diapers. I started dragging him hunting with me at 4 and he killed his first deer at 7 a bear at 9 and was offshore fishing at 10. Now that said.......when I see pics of 4 & 5 year olds killing deer it just seems a bit young to me personally.

I'll add a side note.... Not only did I start my son young but it was compounded by the fact that he has been type 1 diabetic since 13 months old so add all the blood sugar testing and insulin & needles and complications of high and low blood sugar levels and such to your hunting supplies not to mention this was long before cell phones were ever thought of and being a long ways away from medical help if needed with a diabetic child while hunting and fishing . So absolutely do not preach to me about taking young kids hunting & fishing.

28-Sep-22
I got your point Timex. Agree 100%. In Arkansas hunting is not just a hobby for most and lots of dads have their 4 yo next to them in the stand so dad can open the season early. As a 20 year youth shooting coach I agree with Dconcrete about getting them started early and teaching the safe way to hunt and shoot but this thread was completely twisted when Missouribreaks went xbow. I’m thinking Crossbows, vises and older kids hunting was not the OP’s point.

28-Sep-22
Nobody ever said anything against taking kids hunting. For all of us that had to abide by big game age restrictions were hunting small game long before we could draw a big game tag. The difference with older kids is they are mature enough to hold the gun their-self and don't need it clamped in a vise while their dad whispers a barrage of commands in hopes they don't screw it up. There are age restrictions from everything to tobacco, to flying planes, to drinking alcohol, to driving cars. Some are ready sooner than others. I was driving a truck at age 12 on my grandpa's ranch, shooting a bow and BB gun at age 5, but those don't mean I should have been shooting at animals bigger than myself with a high powered rifle. I have several acquaintances that are hunting guides in states and provinces with age restrictions. Their sons and daughters waited patiently and assisted until they were able to hunt and made excellent big game hunters that were mature enough to handle processing the animal after the kill. That being said, the few times I've had a gun accidentally pointed at my face was when I was hunting with kids. I'm not a fan of youth model guns, due to their short barrels, and likelihood of inadvertent pointing in the wrong direction. I used full sized firearms as a kid, and it took a feat of pure dumbass moves to accidentally point those long barrels where they shouldn't be pointed. I'm all for taking kids hunting. I took 3 friend's kids last deer and antelope seasons and I've introduced several of my dozen nieces and nephew's to the sport. I just think very young children have no business killing big game and many states still abide by this.

28-Sep-22

boothill's embedded Photo
boothill's embedded Photo
Youth season in Kansas

28-Sep-22
^....that's funny right there!

28-Sep-22
I only mentioned crossbow and vices because that is what the diaper brigade shoots with these days. They cannot pull back a legal hand drawn bow, and are not shooting rifles. Scoped crossbows and vices are the norm. There is a difference between taking a youngster hunting and having a kid in diapers actually pulling the trigger. By the way, I am fine with all of it, however my kids did it the more traditional route.

29-Sep-22
Rocky d.........

So your trying to equate the ethics of kindergarten age kids shooting big game animals with rifles to a drag queen show. ??????????.

29-Sep-22
Rocky d........I'd have to spend some time around a child to determine their level of maturity. Yes absolutely there are some phenom children doing incredible things for their age. But in general I believe kindergarten aged kids should be shooting soda cans with a bb gun not whitetails.

29-Sep-22
TImex says it right.

02-Oct-22

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo
Had to find these pics. The pic with the deer Eddie was 5 years old and had already whitnessed a lot of deer killing before I let him kill one himself. The pic of Eddie with the rifle in the rocks he was 7. He had just killed his 2nd deer and was looking at it in the scope. Eddie was lanky for his age. That's a rem model 7 in 308 and shooting reduced charge reloads. This was about 2 miles back in the mountain late season, single digit cold and no popup blind or gun vice needed...

02-Oct-22
Timex that's awesome!

• Sitka Gear