Dollar 03-Oct-22
Vaquero 45 03-Oct-22
Nick Muche 06-Oct-22
Beendare 07-Oct-22
Grey Ghost 07-Oct-22
sundowner 08-Oct-22
sundowner 08-Oct-22
27-Sep-22
Prayers sent for my brothers in SW Florida.

Matt

27-Sep-22
Good thread Matt. Praying for everyone down there.

27-Sep-22
Son just graduated from UofA and moved to St. Petersburg in April. For a desert rat this is all crazy stuff. He lives about 3/4 mile from coast but is at 42 ft elevation and in a non-evacuation area. Just got off the phone with him and he said the locals are calm and said the media and rest of country always blow this out of proportion. I hope they are right.

27-Sep-22
Hopefully, Bigswivle and the other Floridian bowsiters come through this unscathed.

28-Sep-22
Kinda scary we had a home in the Redlands in Homestead when Andrew came calling we were on our way to Alaska to hunt and fish at BigDans place on P W and then back to Mt to elk hunt turned around in Sioux City and the rest is history totally lost a company we had built up to a sales of over 8 million in just 3 years house destroyed but Dan and his family came down and stayed in our trailer and we all went to the first Marlin’s came ever played.Sorry I got a little carried away.Hoping for the best for everyone Lewis

28-Sep-22
Oops btw we have a home in Bradenton it’s really spooky Good luck all Lewis

28-Sep-22
In Sarasota now, praying it goes as well as it can.

28-Sep-22

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo

28-Sep-22
I’ve got a good friend named Ian who’s got a place he’s building in Cape Coral. Hoping he and others in Florida come out of this in as good as possible.

28-Sep-22
Watching the updates closely. My little bro and nephews are in Daytona. Our Southern Command Center (snowbird house) is there too. Mama and me are supposed to head to Montana on Thursday. Kinda rethinking that based on the last update a few minutes ago. The winds there for the next few days don't look too bad yet. The rain and flooding looks bad though.

The insurance companies may take a beating.

28-Sep-22
My daughter plays softball for southeastern university in Lakeland they shut down school Sunday she was on a plane Sunday morning back to Wisconsin. Nice having her back for an unexpected week. Ponds were full and everything was saturated already been a wet fall. Thier expecting 12” of rain. Prayers to the Floridians

28-Sep-22
250 of my lineman left Sunday morning to work for Duke energy. They are sitting in Gainesville waiting for Ian to hit. This is going to be a significant storm. Remember the high water kills more than the wind. Good luck to all

28-Sep-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
My guys sent me this pic of half of the trucks at their location.

28-Sep-22
Indeed - positive energy sent to all. Talking with my mother in law yesterday (on Boca Siega Bay in St. Pete Beach) and it sounds like people are taking it seriously... Sure hope by some miracle it weakens...

28-Sep-22
My parents snowbird in Cape Coral every year. Prayers for all of their friends in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area.

28-Sep-22
In Bradenton now. The weather is deteriorating by the minute. But, we've done all we can do to get prepared. The track shifted south last night, but Charlotte County is going to get hammered again. Nothing to do now but wait and see how this works out. To all those in this area, stay safe.

28-Sep-22
Nearing category 5 status now. It’s expected to hit Sanibel Island, where a dear friend of mine manages an inn, around 10 am eastern. Possible 12’ storm surge and 140 mph winds. Damn.

Matt

28-Sep-22
My parents had a Florida Home in Venice near Mannisota Beach. Sold a few years ago out of this fear (and they're getting pretty old). Might be a direct hit. Have read the numbers are being inflated/exaggerated on this storm though. Will see. Good thoughts and prayers for all down there.

28-Sep-22
One of my hunting buddy’s has a home in Pt Charolette. He’s 8’ above water. They’re predicting a storm surge of 10-15’ at his place. That’s gonna really hurt. He is in Mn for the summer, just had a beer with him yesterday.

28-Sep-22
I talked to a friend in Naples this morning and he thinks they will be OK as the storm is to make landfall two counties to the north. They are in my prayers.

28-Sep-22

Grey Ghost's Link
Here's a link to the beach camera at my buddy's inn. Normally there's about 20 yards of beach showing in the video.

Edit: Apparently the camera just went down.

Matt

28-Sep-22
We fly out early Monday from Clearwater. Got last two seats on only flight out for days. My nephew is in Port Charlotte and brother in law and niece are in Orlando now.

Hope everyone is ok and are prepared.

28-Sep-22
We're booked to be on Sanibel Island from Oct 8-22. It's not looking promising. I may still drive down there to help with the clean up.

Matt

28-Sep-22
She’s getting rather windy. Rain coming down in buckets.

28-Sep-22
Keep your head down Nick, this sucker ain’t kidding. Prayers for all Floridians !

28-Sep-22
My daughter and her family are in Ft. Meyers. I tried to convince them to leave, but apparently I taught not to be afraid of anything. They just moved there from Wisconsin a month ago! Hurricane rookies so to speak.

28-Sep-22
It's going to pressure wash what we call The Big Rat(Disney)

28-Sep-22

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
One of my buddies in Ft Myers just sent this to me. Apparently these poor folks are friends of friends of his parents. Unbelievable.

Matt

28-Sep-22
Hopefully they reached out to the local rescue folks. During Katrina, the Coasties did a lot of roof rescues.

28-Sep-22
Good luck to all! Matt- we stay at the island Inn whenever we visit Florida. Great place! The camera went out about 9am this morning.

28-Sep-22
They generally don't start rescues until after the hurricane has passed. There are usually plenty of warnings that first responders will not be available during the storm for those that choose to stay...

28-Sep-22
SW Florida is getting destroyed. Pretty sad

28-Sep-22
"Matt- we stay at the island Inn whenever we visit Florida. Great place! The camera went out about 9am this morning.

Yup. My buddy has been the manager for 15 years, or so. He's in communication with a co-worker who stayed at the Inn. Apparently 2 of the stand alone cottages, nearest the beach, are completely gone, and the tiki huts were gone hours ago. The water is above the ramp that goes around the restaurant/office area.

I'm literally sitting here glued to the Weather Channel with tears in my eyes.

Matt

28-Sep-22

bigswivle's embedded Photo
Here’s an example of the surge. This is Marco island
Here’s an example of the surge. This is Marco island

28-Sep-22
Sanibel is more than likely washed over. Done a lot of fishing over there, Ft Myers to Port Charlotte won’t be the same for quite a while.

28-Sep-22
I don't know much about hurricanes, but watching the coverage raises some questions: A near Cat 5 (150 mph plus winds) hurricane eye wall is right now on shore just south of Tampa, but the highest winds reported are 60 mph sustained with 75 mph gusts. I have not seen any reports as high as 90 mph. There is an error somewhere....either in the category designation or the wind speed reporting. I believe it may be the former, but not sure why.

Please don't misunderstand.....I am aware of the life threatening conditions and am praying for those folks who have property there, or maybe some who are in harm's way. It's a serious situation, no matter the Category designation.

Just curious how the apparent discrepancy exists between actual reported wind speed vs Category designation.

28-Sep-22

JL's Link
Bob.....the CG will have some of their air assets locked and loaded and pre-staged. The others will Hurri-vac out to some place safe away from the bad stuff. If they stick to routine.....some aircraft already went out before the real winds hit to recon, land somewhere safe to protect the aircraft, then once the bad stuff begins to leave, most of the aircraft will come in behind it to look for survivors, recon for damage assessments and yes...look for those that stayed and did not make it. The CG is pretty good about taking the ball and running. They won't wait for permission or red tape....they're on autopilot and just go. I would expect to see some aerial footage on the news soon. If I find any...I'll post it up.

The FB link is to AirSta Clearwater.....these are the guys you want to watch as they're in the thick of it and doing the people's business.

28-Sep-22

JL's Link
Here is AirSta Miami's link

28-Sep-22

JL's Link
....and AirSta Savannah's link. They already forward deployed some of their helo's to Miami yesterday.

28-Sep-22
JL, exactly! I guess my point was...calling 911 while the eye is making landfall and expecting to be rescued immediately ain't gonna happen...they will get your location and send someone for rescue/recovery as soon as it's safe to do so. The couple in GG's post might be waiting a while...pretty sure Fort Myers was under mandatory evacuation.

28-Sep-22
Fire and EMS units won't mobilize until sustained winds are below 40 mph in most areas.

The latest update from my friend is the storm surge on Sanibel is getting into the units of the new Mathews building they just completed a few years ago. All the units are 15 feet in the air over the parking area. The Island, and my friends lives, are getting destroyed right now. I'm heartbroken for them.

Matt

28-Sep-22

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Sundowner, live coverage 120miles due east of the storm. Sustained wind

28-Sep-22
Matt, my son n law is a firefighter. Just got the word at noon to pack up and be prepared to deployed for up to 2 weeks. Leaving PBC at 07:00 tomorrow, heading towards Ft Myers

28-Sep-22
I’m flying down Friday morning to join my team that is currently at Sea World waiting to be deployed by Duke energy. As soon as it’s safe they will be out assessing and restoring power.

28-Sep-22
Swampbuck, thank God for your son and all like him.

I'm currently arguing with my wife over whether or not I should hop in my truck and get down there to help do whatever I can. I could be there in about 25 hours, if I drove straight thru. I've done it several times, but my wife isn't too keen on the idea.

Matt

28-Sep-22
The power company my buddy works for here in northern MI sent crews down on Monday. He is waiting to get the call himself and he does the accounting there. He's been deployed before down there.

28-Sep-22
Looks like the guys and gals are already launching and will do a circle coming in from the backside. The news folks are saying folks are already being rescued.

U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater 1h · Clearwater is home to the Big Iron and Mighty Herc for a reason. As we’ve mobilized to the east coast, we are currently the only capable assets out flying on post-storm assessments and an active SAR case. Our 60 and C130 crews are patrolling the southwest to determine the extent of damage to Key West, and what resources may be available as we respond. We have over 100 Clearwater members here in Palm Beach for aircrew, maintenance and Command operations. Crews from Great Inagua are heading north to assist, and several TDY aircrew have arrived. Many more are remotely assisting with admin and evacuated personnel support. The Coast Guard works as a team 24/7 and we are ready.

28-Sep-22
Getting real at my house now

28-Sep-22
Stay safe Conner, best of luck to you guys down there.

28-Sep-22

Fort Myers
Fort Myers

28-Sep-22
Connor, where in Fort Meyers is that

28-Sep-22
It’s going to look like a war zone when this is all over. This f-ing storm has turned a paradise into a hell hole. It’s certainly made us reconsider our plans to buy property down there.

Matt

28-Sep-22
Conner I have friends in Naples that stayed, it’s probably gonna look the same when their phones start working again, not a good situation over there

28-Sep-22
Fort Myers beach. It’s real bad in SW Fl. I’ve got lots of friends down there and my heart is broken.

28-Sep-22
That is some serious high water. I have a Coastie bud deployed down there. I asked him to send some pics when he can.

28-Sep-22
Stay safe everyone..!

28-Sep-22

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

28-Sep-22
Prayers sent for all those in Ian's path.

28-Sep-22
We're ok but my son-in-laws Dad is in the eye and refused to evacuate.Hes 20 yards off the water I'm sure the surge will submerge his 1 story house now they can't reach him

28-Sep-22
My brother and his family are riding it out in Nokomis. Its going right over the top of them. Im worried about them. He said absolutley getting pummeled. Fortunately house is badically all concrete block with heavy aluminum storm shutters. I think most houses down there are built that way.

28-Sep-22
Stayed at the Sun Dial on Sanibel this last Mar., have an old friend outside of Ft. Myer, and talked to some of the locals that went through Charlie and it was a mess. Can't imagine what it will look like after this and the clean up, it will come back.

28-Sep-22
Yea is making me think about moving there too.

I am afraid what this may do to the already hammered insurance companies down there.

Just hope everyone is stays safe.

28-Sep-22
I think hurricane/flood insurance is Federal?

28-Sep-22
My dear friend and his mom are without power, water, and cell service now. Fortunately his wife and 2 daughters, our God children, are safe in SC.

Keep the prayers flowing…

Matt

28-Sep-22
I have a friend that has a home in Pt Charolette. He is 8’ above the water, and the storm surge is supposed to be 10-15’. He is here (Mn) for the summer and headed back to Fla next week to see what’s left. I’m afraid it’s going to be bad news for him.

28-Sep-22
And for you political junkies, this is what real life catastrophes are all about. Not the sh!t you wring your hands about.

Matt

28-Sep-22
Matt, don’t know where your from, there’s nothing political about natural disasters, don’t know why you even bring it up. As a born, raised and life long never to leave Floridian we deal with and know how to deal with them. Price of paradise I guess, just saying

28-Sep-22
By your handle I would think you’re a bone fish guy?

28-Sep-22
42” of rain in South Punta Gorda

28-Sep-22
Thoughts and prayers to all those involved.

28-Sep-22
I’ve got a manufactured home in Avon park. It’s not looking good there as Ian will be category 1 passing right over it

28-Sep-22
I’m a native to CO, who became addicted to tarpon 20 years ago, Im an equal opportunity saltwater fisher now. I prefer the fly rod, but don’t hesitate to resort to spinning gear and live bait, if necessary.

My boat is trailered on Sanibel, tied to a tree hopefully, but that’s a minor concern for me right now.

Matt

28-Sep-22
Matt, just got a text from my fishing guide friend in Ft Myers. He lives 5 minutes NE of Russa launch, severe damage to his house, both vehicles totaled. He said his wife, mom and dad are all finally safe- but he said “for about 2-3 hours I truly didn’t think we were going to make it”. He said Sanibel and Captiva are going to be wiped out, surge of 12 or more feet…. Just hurts to even think about all of the devastation down there.

28-Sep-22
Carl.....ya...Avon Park will be getting some wind in a few hours. Good luck on your home there. Our place in Daytona may be ok. Got a few folks keeping an eye on it.

28-Sep-22
Lost contact with my brother. Dont know if cell and land line phone service is gone or if something bad happened. Not gonna sleep much till i hear from him.

28-Sep-22
Pat....what part of the state was he at?

28-Sep-22
Nokomis. Right by Venice. Maybe half hour south of punta gorda.

28-Sep-22
More prayers for everyone’s safety.

28-Sep-22
Pat...if it's any help.....the news guy on scene in Ft Meyers just said the power outages are so wide spread that cell service is dropping for those areas.

29-Sep-22

brettpsu's embedded Photo
brettpsu's embedded Photo
Have an Aunt in Cape Coral who evacuated to Miami. This security camera photo of her street is the last connection she had. This was roughly 2 hours before peak surge. I'm afraid so much of Cape Coral will be under water. Very sad

29-Sep-22
That really blows

29-Sep-22
My boy is down there right now on a storm crew. Waiting on it to end. No word from him lately. I’m guessing it is really bad.

29-Sep-22
Word out of Lee County is not good. Sheriff already saying hundreds dead.

29-Sep-22
Incredibly horrible.

29-Sep-22
The Sanibel causeway is wiped out. Rescue crews are going out by boats and helicopters. It sounds like the barrier islands are destroyed. My buddy lost service yesterday, but I’ve heard he and his mom are alive and safe.

Matt

29-Sep-22
Pat, I have a good friend who lives in Venice. Her cell service is terrible. Take forever for our texts to come and go. It's bad there, they've lost everything, but they are safe.

29-Sep-22
My son n law left at 0400 for Naples with their fire crew, still cutting their way in , lots of water. I’m heading that way later today with gens, food and water, not good

29-Sep-22
Finally got word from brother. He and the family are safe. House more or less survived.

Lots of people werent so lucky. This was a bad one.

29-Sep-22
We have a winter home in Sarasota for 23 years. Thankfully we are still in Ohio. Our security cameras went out about 3:00pm yesterday. Our neighbors are there and said they are ok so I assume our place is ok excluding potential water damage. House checker will get there to let us know as soon as he can hopefully today. Anyone who stayed in a mandatory evacuation area was not using their heads, that's for sure. About a half hour south of us is awful devastation.

29-Sep-22
Cleaned up my cousins place all morning here in Sarasota. Not to bad. Drove around to check on a few friends places and there’s a lot of downed trees and debris but overall it’s nothing compared to south of us.

I’m sure the stuff closer to the water is a disaster but we haven’t checked that out yet.

29-Sep-22
Amazingly, my buddy's house in SW Ft Myers faired OK. Some soffit damage, and their pool cage is destroyed, but no flooding. Thank God!

Apparently, he pulled my little skiff off of Sanibel Island and parked it in his garage before the storm hit. He left his beautiful bay boat on the Island, and doubts it survived, but it may be weeks before he can check on it. Sanibel appears to be mostly destroyed.

What an awful mess.

Matt

29-Sep-22

One of my fishing guide buddies rode out the storm in Iona. He posted these pics on his Instagram.

Matt

29-Sep-22
Jeeze Matt….that’s aweful

29-Sep-22
Update from my son n law, they’re staged up Naples waiting for those awesome linemen and ladies then moving their way into Ft Myers. He said he’ll send pics if and when he can. I’m waiting for him to give me the go ahead to get over there to feed these first responders. I be there now but I don’t want to be in the way. Thanks to all for your help!!!

29-Sep-22
Saw some news clips of the Sanibel and Port Charlotte area this morning....................unreal! : (

Praying for all those affected!

29-Sep-22
These things are devastating and heart wrenching for those in the path (been there done that), but in the weeks, months, year ahead as work begins to restore this paradise…don’t let one disaster lead to another.

It looks like a lot of you have friends and/or family there and I know there are some big hearts here on this site and would gladly donate to charities for the rebuilding…just beware, disasters bring a lot of good people and quite a few bad actors…scams for donations, fraudulent contractors. I’ve been through too many of these storms and have seen or heard too many stories about this. Use a local contractor, if possible that you know and trust or recommended by someone you know and trust, always use a Florida licensed contractor…below are some related articles and tips.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/after-storms-watch-out-scams

https://www.fema.gov/press-release/20210927/survivors-beware-fraud-scams-after-disasters

https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2020/tips-to-avoid-fraud-after-disasters.html

https://www.rd.com/article/hurricane-scams/

29-Sep-22

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
My next door neighbor at the southern command center in Daytona sent me a picture of our driveway,front yard and mailbox a little bit ago. He doesn't think it got inside the house. I'll find out more when my brother goes over to check it. We lost all of our small trees in the backyard but I'm figuring we got off cheap compared to other folks who weren't so lucky.....so no complaints here.

29-Sep-22
Good news JL

29-Sep-22
I have friends in Sarasota and North Port. The ones in North Port just moved there from Ohio a few months ago. Their house was literally in the eye of the storm. Nobody hurt but what a mess. Shingles and siding gone with the wind. Palm trees flat on the ground. Vehicles somehow filled with water. Last night was scary.

29-Sep-22

Before and after pis of the Island Inn. Sanibel's oldest inn. It's unthinkable what those poor folks in the area are going thru right now.

Matt

29-Sep-22
My place in Avon park faired well, only a little skirting blown out. Category 1 storm as it passed

29-Sep-22
Devastated as it is, us folks up north can have a 3 day blizzard and not even a mention on "news" channels?

29-Sep-22
Can’t remember the last blizzard that caused a billion in damage Bear. Maybe this will be the year though, so everybody can get their trophy.

29-Sep-22
That before and after pic of the inn makes me sick. A lot of good memories there.

29-Sep-22
Same here, Hearst.

Matt

30-Sep-22
Devastated as it is, us folks up north can have a 3 day blizzard and not even a mention on "news" channels?

Well I hope one day you make it on prime time.

30-Sep-22
How did you fare through the storm, Conner?

30-Sep-22
What I’m seeing doesn’t hold a candle to any blizzard I’ve ever been a part of. Night and Day comparisons. The wide spread destruction across Florida is unbelievable.

30-Sep-22
Bear, I am sure they could really use some help right now. While you are there, see how it compares to a blizzard. Then you can report first hand. I understand what you are saying, just not sure the comparison is just. I have never been through either, but have cleaned up after tornadoes and it is a mess. Can’t imagine a hurricane like that.

30-Sep-22
I can't believe someone would compare a snow storm to this hurricane.

My buddy's decision to save my boat, the only boat he could protect in his garage, has turned out to be a great move. He has organized a group of boats to rescue people from Sanibel today, and he will be using my boat. It feels good that I can help remotely in some way.

Matt

30-Sep-22
This is so horrible to see. Really hopeful everyone's loved ones who tried to ride it out are ok... the pic's are terrifying, and loss of life already sounds horrid.

Our family has felt incredibly lucky. My wife's mom lives on the 4th floor of a building on Boca Siega bay, in St. Pete Beach. Her building got a little rain water in a ground level common room, and they lost a couple trees and some limbs, but overall, made it pretty well unscathed, never even lost power.

We feel incredibly lucky she was just far enough north to miss the worst of it.. But wholly smokes is it a gut punch to see the challenge facing folks down there. Ugh.

30-Sep-22

Here's a satellite image of the Sanibel Marina, and Gramma Dot's restaurant, one of our favorite places to eat on the Island. Just sickening.

Matt

30-Sep-22
Matt, when boats are tossed on land like that, can they be repaired or are they generally so damaged as to be totaled?

30-Sep-22

Will, I think it depends on the extent of the damage. If the hull stays mostly intact, they can be repaired, re-powered, re-wired, etc.. There's a show called Project Dream Boat that I watch occasionally. They can do some amazing work to damaged boats, but it's pricey.

Unbelievably, my buddy's beautiful bay boat stayed connected to the tree he tied it to (center of pic). It's difficult to tell, but I'm afraid the T-top may have been ripped off, tho. Note how all the cottages nearby were lifted off of their foundations. Those are part of the Island Inn about 1/4 mile inland from the beach, and they were just remodeled a year ago. So sad.

Matt

30-Sep-22
Sad, indeed.

Speaking of boats…Probably a dumb question, but I have aways wondered as to why there always seem to be a lot of boats that are piled up onshore, or sunken in harbors after hurricanes. Why is that? Are a lot of these boats owned by snowbirds/out of state owners, and they can’t get down there to move them to safety? Hard to determine where a safe harbor will be? Some other logistical issues? I’m not a boat owner, so I have no idea what the hurdles are in dealing with this situation.

30-Sep-22
I'll take a stab and say it's probably from several issues. One....if it stays in the water it's the owner's responsibility, if it's pulled and put in the cradle on land by the marina, they have partial responsibility. That leads to the other thought that maybe there's not enough storage space for all the boats that are moored at a marina. Another thought would be the owners are too cheap to pull it out ahead of time and are willing to roll the dice and leave it moored at the dock.

01-Oct-22
T-roy,

I think you hit on most of the reasons so many boats are destroyed in hurricanes. For many it's simply a logistical issue, like me and my boat that's 2000 miles away. They often can't predict the exact path of these storms until they are about 12 hrs away, which isn't enough time for many boat owners to react.

Then there's the larger boats that never leave the water because they are too big to trailer and tow down the highway. Those owners have to navigate to safer waters, which again takes planning, time, and an accurate prediction of where the storm will hit.

In a catastrophe like this people have to prioritize what they bring with them when they evacuate. Replaceable stuff often gets left behind. Boats are often one of those items.

Matt

01-Oct-22
Wow, that's brutal to see how homes were moved off foundation. When I first looked I thought those were flat roof buildings or patios... Insane to think they were foundations. ugh.

01-Oct-22
That makes sense. Thanks JL & GG.

01-Oct-22
Man, this is awful. We need to pray for these people.

I’m certain many people have insurance. But, anyone that’s dealt with claims, it’s going to be a long time before that process allows for people to put their lives back in order. This is just awful.

01-Oct-22
Kamala Harris, in a post-storm interview, said that federal disaster relief should be doled out based upon race and gender. In other words, she is advocating prioritizing racial minorities and women in distributing recovery funding, even though the taxpayer funds for this purpose come from all across the population.

Does anyone here think this would be a racist policy?

01-Oct-22
Do you have a source for that? Harris is such a POS.

EDIT: decided to do something very unBowsite-like and actually Googled it for myself. Such a POS.

01-Oct-22
That happened?

01-Oct-22

Matt's Link
"Kamala Harris ripped for claiming government's Hurricane Ian relief will prioritize ‘communities of color’"

01-Oct-22
Thanks Matt. I was about to post the link when I saw yours.

02-Oct-22

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
My CG buddy sent these pics of Fort Meyers from the helo.

02-Oct-22
As soon as it's safely possible, and my buddy gives me the go-ahead, I'm heading down to help. It's been extremely difficult to communicate with him due to bad service.

I'm trying to develop a list of supplies and tools that would be most needed and useful. So far, I plan to bring my portable Honda generator and enough fuel jugs for at least 50 gallons of fuel. I'll fill the jugs when I get close. I was planning on 25 gallons of regular fuel and 25 gallons of boat (non-ethanol) fuel. I have various tools, like a chainsaw, sawsall, angle grinder with cutoff blades, skill saw, drills, etc...that should help with clean up and repairs. I have a convection hot plate, pans, and utensils.

On the supplies side, I was thinking a bunch of bottled water and non-perishable canned foods. Do you guys have any other suggestions on necessities that may be difficult to get down there? Thanks.

Matt

02-Oct-22
Yes cell service from Sebring south west is not good. Hopefully they get some portable towers up today. My crews are working from Sebring and SW. Gas and water is readily available from Orlando north. And costs no more than anywhere else, so you could fuel up as late as North Florida if that’s more convenient

02-Oct-22
Thanks Jay,

It's good to know I can load up on supplies in the Orlando area. That will save on mileage and wear/tear on my truck getting down there.

I considered driving my RV, but I think my truck will be more useful for hauling supplies and general transportation around the Ft Myers area.

Matt

02-Oct-22
As you get further south you can run into stations that are out of diesel fuel. But the big chain truck stops have it. Best to fuel up north of Orlando to be safe.

02-Oct-22
My truck, generator, and boat are all gas powered, so diesel isn't on the list.

I was just trying to think of any other essentials. Like when Covid hit, silly things like toilet paper sold out first. I don't know it that's the case down there.

Matt

02-Oct-22
Sorry I can’t answer that Matt, because Duke energy provides all those essentials for us

I’ll check though

02-Oct-22
"I can't believe someone would compare a snow storm to this hurricane."

Quite certain it didn't come across like intended, and it likely made sense to them at the time. However, there have been blizzards in past history just as devastating.

02-Oct-22
HDE, the poster compared a typical MN snow storm with this hurricane, then complained that the media never mentions them. That was incredibly insensitive, at best, IMO.

Matt

02-Oct-22
GG - full well aware of what the post was about and in comparison to. Glad your boat is safe...

02-Oct-22
"Glad your boat is safe..."

Me too...kinda. I honestly wish my buddy would have had time to protect his boat instead of mine. I think it would have faired OK in his driveway, since his house sustained relatively little damage, and his home's u-shaped footprint would have protected his boat against most of the winds. But, that's all just stuff that can be replaced. The important thing is he and his family are alive and safe.

Matt

02-Oct-22
Matt

Do a search for Wawa and Publix open in Lee County Florida. Once that comes up look for the updated Blog from Wink News. That will list all the stores open in Lee County and surrounding counties. Lots of stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Publix, Wawa and others that are open on a limited scale, staff, product. The trucks are rolling in with more product daily. By the time you get down there for sure there will be more product and services open. I think the islands are going to be a challenge to say the least. I saw a drone video of the road into Sanibel and it's going to be a huge task to open that.

Glad your friends just had property and inanimate losses.

02-Oct-22
Hats off to anyone down there helping!

02-Oct-22
RK,

Yeah, the Sanibel/Captiva causeway will take years to re-build. I've heard they plan on using large ferries to transport people, equipment and materials to the islands, like in the old days before the causeway was built. Even that has challenges, though. They will have to build docks and ramps that will support loading and unloading of large equipment and heavy loads.

Those islands will get re-built eventually, but it's gonna take years, if not decades, and the scars of Ian will remain for generations. My wife and I feel blessed to have enjoyed so many fond memories down there. Now, our focus is helping our friends put their lives back together. Like my buddy's wife said, it's difficult to even process what life will be like on the other side of this thing.

Matt

02-Oct-22
For you folks heading down to Florida or the Gulf coast, keep an eye on the hurricane forecast as it looks like another one may be moving into the Caribbean.

02-Oct-22
My wife and I are making a donation tonight to Samaritan's Purse to be used directly for Florida relief. The Red Cross is an alternate to help too.

03-Oct-22
Greyghost bring a good extensive first aid kit.Try and be safe and do anything stupid for anyone.I'm sure you are safe but don't add to the problem. Usually more are hurt,injured or killed after the storms but that will be tough after this storm with over 80 killed. Also plan on feeding yourself and try and find a place to fall back to for resupply and take a break. Good Luck Thank You PM me if need help with anything.

03-Oct-22
Thanks for prayers Matt . Down here in 34117 . We faired well bein inland bordering the Picayune Strand / I75 edge of Fla everglades . Just some shingles off roof and soffits . Two days with no power . Big clean up to do on property . North west of us different story as you all know . Worst I ever been through has been Andrew and five years ago Irma . Prayers sent for those in extreme needs and suffering .

06-Oct-22
Great Goatass is coming to save the World!

07-Oct-22
The latest: EVs blowing up

Who could have known salt water and batteries dont mix.

Best wishes go out to those affected by the hurricane

07-Oct-22
I'm not sure what Nick's problem is, but I have no illusions of "saving the World". I'm just a concerned friend you wants to help in any way I can.

Along those lines, I've been in daily contact with my buddy in Ft. Myers. His Mother's small place got power and water back 3 days ago, so that's where he's been staying along with one of his aunts. His house sustained relatively minor damage. The power came on briefly yesterday, but then went out again. They aren't having any problems finding necessary supplies.

My friend's main concern is getting back onto Sanibel Island to begin the cleanup on the Inn. He's got a private barge lined up that could transport the necessary heavy equipment, but they have no way of docking it on the Island. It has an 8' draft, and there aren't any docks that are deep enough or capable of handling the weight.

So, as much as I wanted to rush down there, my buddy would prefer that I wait until we can get onto Sanibel, and I can help him coordinate the cleanup. I have to respect his wishes.

If any of you are in dire need of help, my truck is still packed and I'm ready to roll. I'd also like to give Conner (Bigswivle) a big shout out for his unbelievably generous offer to use one of his boats.

Matt

08-Oct-22
Sherriff Grady Judd has advised property owners in Florida to shoot looters until they "look like grated cheese", thereby ensuring that they won't take advantage of some other vulnerable home or business owner.

Pretty strong message, and one I agree with. Bet he didn't vote for Biden!

08-Oct-22
Six looters were caught today. All Hispanics. Citizenship status not published.

Similarly, when blacks do crime, they never say they're black. You can tell the perps are black because the article doesn't say. You can also tell by the first names. ;-)

• Sitka Gear