wytex 03-Oct-22
arlone 03-Oct-22
fuzzy 04-Oct-22
WV Mountaineer 05-Oct-22
BullBuster 05-Oct-22
01-Oct-22

JB's embedded Photo
JB's embedded Photo
I have several pictures of this doe on trailcam. She looks sick to me with ribs showing and the spots on her neck. All the other deer on cam are fat and healthy. Any ideas?

01-Oct-22
The spots looks like she is just loosing her summer coat. As far as the ribs showing, does she have twins or triplets that is suckling her down?

01-Oct-22
Not just losing her summer coat?

01-Oct-22
Her neck looks different than the rest of the deer losing their summer coat. Almost bald.

The twin or triplet theory might be the case. I believe she has twins.

01-Oct-22
I agree prob just a good momma giving it all to her fawns

01-Oct-22
Deer grew there winter coat here a month ago. That isn’t her problem being she’s farther north these deer. She’s sick for sure. Way to skinny for this time of year in any state that gets snow and cold.

01-Oct-22
Looks like she is just losing her summer coat.

01-Oct-22
Just losing summer coeat. hair is thin so then you see ribs. She's fine.

01-Oct-22
I didn’t think growing longer, more hollow air would ever be confused with shedding.

I didn’t giggle search it because I arrogantly believe I’m right. Time will tell.

But, all you Geniuses explain to me how shedding a summer coat is confused with the process of growing a different hair?

I’m putting it all out there for the ass hat in cali to grind my butt up and make me look like a fool. But, I’m feeling lucky!!!!!!!!

Ready, set, Google me up a reply. I’ll take it.

01-Oct-22
We need a date for the picture.Looks like normal shedding of the red summer coat with early replacement coat.My penned deer used to look hairless at times.

01-Oct-22
It’s oct 1st not December if the pic was a week or 2 ago perfectly normal I killed a doe here in NC Nebraska 3 nights ago and still had the long red hair on her neck and legs

01-Oct-22
Someone must have missed their nap.

"Deer, elk, and moose normally shed their hair, or “molt”, twice per year. They shed their winter coat in the spring and their summer coat in late summer.. The distribution of hair loss is usually patchy, and the deer tend to look “scruffy” until the molt is completed. Normal molt is distinguishable from disease conditions by the presence of a normal-appearing coat beneath the molting hair."

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/diseases/hair-loss#:~:text=Deer%2C%20elk%2C%20and%20moose%20normally%20shed%20their%20hair%2C,to%20look%20%E2%80%9Cscruffy%E2%80%9D%20until%20the%20molt%20is%20completed.

01-Oct-22
Could just be an old doe.pets that age, eat but don't put on weight.

01-Oct-22
I love it. And I’ll take it!!!!

02-Oct-22
I'm in the "old deer, shedding out" camp. When that back set of molars goes they can't keep weight on.

02-Oct-22
I see the OP is from Minnesota. Just from what I’ve seen, it’s unusual for any deer to have ribs showing here in the Midwest in early Oct. I run cams here year ‘round and right now they all look plump and well fed around here in farm country, including does with twins and triplets. I too had one recently that looked gaunt like that. She gradually got worse and then disappeared. Dead I’m guessing. I don’t know what causes it but we will occasionally see one like that in the fall. Doesn’t seem to be age related because sometimes here the afflicted will be a yearling buck. Just my experience for what little it’s worth.

02-Oct-22
So who is the "ass hat" from cali u speak of??

02-Oct-22
I believe the good christian was referring to me.

02-Oct-22
If it was just normal shedding, wouldn’t all the deer look like that? Instead of just one doe?

Asking for a friend

02-Oct-22
You could always do your good deed , and when she walks under you put an arrow through her just to be humane if you feel it to be necessary!!

03-Oct-22
"If it was just normal shedding, wouldn’t all the deer look like that? Instead of just one doe?"

Deer don't all shed their coats or their velvet at the same time - some are early, most are in the same timeframe, and some are late. I say this based on a pretty extensive set of cameras we have on our deer lease. There is one mature buck in particular that we've noted grew his antlers and shed his velvet ~2 weeks later than other similarly aged bucks 2 years in a row.

Not to mention a difference in condition which could be due to age, etc.

03-Oct-22
^^^ I know that and so does everyone else.

The OP obviously has pics of many deer but this doe stood out for him to share it. Or he wouldn’t have posted it.

Like mentioned earlier, In Minnesota, this time of year, deer should be their healthiest. That deer is sick.

03-Oct-22
Sorry for the delay and thanks for the responses. Pic was from last week and yes in MN.

03-Oct-22
Just shedding , doesn't look sick to me. How do her hip bones look, really showing or normal? If showing then yes sickly perhaps. Older doe with twins I would bet.

03-Oct-22
Doesn't look like any does I have seen in Minnesota where I hunt, even those with twin fawns. She better put some meat on her bones soon for the winter. Ticks might be a good guess by Hackbow.

04-Oct-22
"Matt" DOES rhyme with "azzhat" ;)

05-Oct-22
Cecil, I.strongly agree in this case. :^)

05-Oct-22
That is a cachectic doe. She is not looking good. Look at the muscle atrophy. She’s doomed.

• Sitka Gear