llamapacker 03-Oct-22
llamapacker 03-Oct-22
Bou'bound 04-Oct-22
Beendare 04-Oct-22
Tilzbow 04-Oct-22
Treeline 04-Oct-22
RonP 06-Oct-22
01-Oct-22
So, the last day of bow season here in NW Colorado was wet…

I have what I thought was good rain gear but am now second guessing. I had my Kuiu Chugach rain gear top and axis hybrid pants.

The pants were definitely the wrong ones to be wearing but I hadn’t tried them out in the rain. The pants would probably be ok for after a rain in wet vegetation conditions but definitely soaked through in the constant rain. My bad!

What I did not expect was for my Chugach rain jacket to soak through like it did! I first noticed that I was getting wet on my right sleeve and thought maybe I had ripped a hole in it somewhere/sometime but on closer inspection, no holes. Then the left sleeve started leaking. By the end of the day, I was absolutely soaked through. And got cold. Real cold by the time I got back to the truck a couple of hours after dark!!! Not good in the backcountry!

Got me wondering…

Does the waterproofing wear off on this stuff or is it just me being hard on my gear?

Should I treat it with DWR or something?

How well does DWR work? Will it work on just regular clothes? Wool?

Anyone else have issues with the Chugach rain gear?

Thought maybe I’d ask the crew here what their experience was with both the rain gear and DWR for waterproofing.

01-Oct-22
I have never owned any Kuiu but in my honest opinion there is very little lightweight and breathable rain gear that is truly waterproof in all conditions. Johnny Laird taught me that a long time ago when we hunted the misty mountains in SE Alaska. He recommended non-breathable rain gear for the conditions you described. Sitting still in a treestand is one thing, most breathable stuff should handle that- but moving through saturated brush or walking days on end in downpours are entirely different.

My 2c.

01-Oct-22
Pat's advise is the same as mine for waterproof boots. A lot of boots claim to be waterproof and breathable but if you want them truly waterproof you have to go with rubber.

01-Oct-22
Thanks, Pat.

I would rank the rain and brush I was in yesterday right up there with Alaska wet and brush… When hunting up there, I used the rubberized stuff.

Probably would have worked better in that situation but darn sure would have been sweating!

Kind of discouraging to get soaked and cold like that in really high end rain gear though…

Hopefully, someone will chime in with experience with DWR treatment on these breathable rain gear. Thinking that I should treat up all of my gear just to make layers to keep from getting soaked.

Could mean the difference between life and death…

01-Oct-22
Kuiu recommends Grangers DWR application to refresh the waterproofing treatment. https://www.kuiu.com/products/grangers-performance-repel-plus-spray-clear?variant=41065456173214

01-Oct-22
I like the HH rubberized rain gear or the nylon coated cordura fishing gear for true rain and wet Alaska weather.

The Yukon Kuiu stuff is stronger than the rubber stuff I described but why spend that as most waterproof stuff doesn’t breath.

I have about the same experience with rubber boots or quality mountaineering boots and they are probably going to be wet from perspiration even if the outside moisture doesn’t cause them to get wet.

01-Oct-22
If it's rain gear it failed and could lead to a bad situation.

FWIW, I have a FL SEAK set and it didn't leak a drop through one all day rain and several squalls through the season. It's also durable but I don't bust through brush with rain gear.

Good luck finding something that keeps you dry when you need it most.

01-Oct-22

01-Oct-22
Waterproof/breathable raingear requires maintenance to perform properly over time, both in terms of washing and replenishing the DWR.

Pulled this from another site:

Yes, Nixwax Tech Wash for non-residue. Followed by a rinse in Nixwax TX Direct for DWR replenishment. Amazing results. Water just beads up and rolls off.

01-Oct-22
Tavis, I had the same experience in my Chugach this year elk hunting. I was cutting up my bull in pouring rain. Attack bottoms (as they were soaked anyways, so didn’t pull out the rain pants) and Chugach jacket. Noticed by the time I was finished, I was soaked through in my mid chest and sleeves. Didn’t really care as it was a long walk out, but did leave me wondering too.

01-Oct-22
Yeah, Matt, I was a bit surprised.

I’ve used that Kuiu only a few times since I bought it. Nothing really wet, though and not for very long. Decided I needed better quality stuff after that NWT horseback sheep/caribou hunt where I shredded my Cabelas Space Rain gear. Dropped a pretty good amount on the Kuiu top and bottom and was expecting better performance.

I have the HH stuff for Alaska but it is pretty heavy and doesn’t breath. Would have been really rough for the country I was in - steep, nasty oak brush and blowdown…

Will get some DWR and treat that rain gear as well as pants, vests, and jackets. Hopefully with multiple layers treated, it will keep from getting soaked. If it had been any colder or further in, it could have been a big problem.

I would hate to be relying on that rain gear in tougher conditions and get in serious trouble…

01-Oct-22
Good video, Dana! Thanks!

Think I will get the wash and the spray.

Yesterday was not fun, but a damn good lesson. All our gear needs regular maintenance and making sure that your rain gear works could end up being a lifesaver…

01-Oct-22
"I first noticed that I was getting wet on my right sleeve and thought maybe I had ripped a hole in it somewhere/sometime but on closer inspection, no holes. Then the left sleeve started leaking."

What I have found is that my sleeves are the first to get wet in a non-ending downpour and the reason is water running down my sleeve from my wrist. Just a thought. :-)

01-Oct-22

Treeline's Link
Looks like Kuiu has the Granger wash and spray in a kit. Heck, cheaper than Amazon!

Gonna get this stuff and make sure to do a good treatment of all my hunting clothes while it’s fresh on my mind. I do not want a repeat of yesterday!

01-Oct-22
Adak,

No, it actually started in my elbows, not my wrists. I initially thought that as well that it might be coming in there (pretty common when fishing). By the end of the day, I was completely soaked through everywhere. The rain jacket was actually soaked up and heavy with water and still soaked today.

01-Oct-22
Mine is toast too. Same with my KUIU gaiters. No longer waterproof anymore. I guess I better try that kit. Thanks for the post.

02-Oct-22
I have found that any goretex type raingear doesn’t work well after 2-3 yrs of use, and no amount of washing or treating it with any product will fix it. I buy new or use rubber Helly Hansen rain gear when I want to stay dry.

02-Oct-22
I have the KUIU Northridge rain gear. It worked great in Colorado this year. It’s not as stretchy and breathable as Chugach but it works.

02-Oct-22
i have the axis hybrid jacket and pants and they have performed OK in light to moderate rain and snow for short periods of time. i like them and would recommend them.

i also have the chugach and so far so good but i have not had to wear it in wet brush or a heavy down pour and all-day rain. i could see it wetting out and leaking in those conditions. after reading this i suppose i better treat mine.

i carry a poncho rolled up in my bag for when/if the rain becomes relentless. for me, the HH is too heavy and bulky to carry.

02-Oct-22
I've been using the Kuiu Chugach rain gear for the past 5-6 years, I retreat it after every wash and every hunt and it has served me well. It does seem to get more 'wet' on the outside now than it used to though. I've replaced it with the new First Lite rain gear which I just took to Alaska for a very rainy and wet 11 days in the bush, and I'm extremely happy with the new FL stuff!

02-Oct-22
I’ve used Cabela’s space rain gear for a long time. I don’t go crazy walking in it. Just move slow or I hunker down wearing it during a really hard rain. On my sons antelope hunt this year we just found nice thick pine trees to get under until the rain slowed down. Can’t always do that though so I always have my eyes open for good quality rain gear that I could possibly wear all day if needed.

03-Oct-22
Kuiu Chugach has been awesome for years for me. This year I got wet. Had a small hole. But also had a little more water than I was hoping for elsewhere.

03-Oct-22
I think the bottom line for these types of materials is that you need to retreat them regularly to keep them waterproof. I did not know that!

I have waders and wading jackets that have been amazingly waterproof for many, many years. Others that started leaking after only a few uses.

It’s not normal for me to be out hunting in all day rain, but when it happens, I really don’t want to get saturated. I can imagine it being a problem on a long fly-in/horseback/backpacking type of hunt…

I have never reapplied DWR to any of my clothes and that is probably a mistake. I will be treating my rain gear and also my jackets/vests. Having treated layers under the rain gear should also help.

Anyone ever treat wool with that DWR stuff? I will probably be at least spraying down my wool stuff to keep it from getting so waterlogged.

03-Oct-22
There is a difference between the Chugach set and the Yukon rain gear. While much heavier (and expensive), the Yukon rain gear will really keep you dry in endless rain. Unless your Chugach is fairly new or retreated, you will eventually soak through, although usually in more than one day. Proper care of breathable rain gear is essential. People like the rubberized Healy Hansen because you don't have to do much to take care of it. Bill

03-Oct-22
Double post. Sorry. Bill

04-Oct-22
Yukon is a whole different game to an chugatch. Fantastic stuff.

04-Oct-22
Yeah, if you maintain the DWR on the KUIU stuff, its great…if not then you get wet.

If I’m on a hunt where I have to plow through wet brush every day for a week to 10 days straight, i use the HH stuff but its heavy.

04-Oct-22
To reiterate what a couple of others have stated, my Yukon rain gear has kept me dry in any and all conditions. The Chugach rain gear, on the other hand, has soaked through a few times but it’s still my rain gear of choice for any early to mid-season hunt in the western states, outside of Canada and Alaska.

04-Oct-22
I am going to pick up another set of HH for $170 vs the $700+ for the Yukon... My last set of HH lasted a long time since I bought it for an Alaska hunt but has dry-rotted.

06-Oct-22
i'm sure others got the same email. kuiu is having a sale on rain gear if you're interested.

• Sitka Gear