swp 12-Oct-22
Shug 12-Oct-22
LKH 12-Oct-22
Smtn10PT 13-Oct-22
stealthycat 13-Oct-22
01-Oct-22

labxtreme1.'s embedded Photo
Early this year I asked about early or late September for moose. Thank you to those that chimmed in for late September!

Heads up this was a rifle hunt, read along if you wish.

01-Oct-22
Got a tip from a good connection to apply for Alaska moose in a unit with a good pilot to use should I ever get drawn. Well low and behold I drew the first year and immediately was asking for the pilots contact info. Originally I was going to hunt the the first 10 days of September but upon everyone's input switched to the 11th - 20th. This all happened within 2 days of seeing I drew the tag. Dates set lots of planning to get done!

01-Oct-22
I believe people on here will get this more than most everyone else I visited with. Usually I hunt alone, but decided a moose was larger than I really wanted to tackle on my own provided I could talk someone that would be more of a help than hinderance to go with me.

Fortunately for me a good buddy from Pennsylvania I met elk hunting in 2017 by chance was not planning on hunting elk in CO this year and it's always been on his list to hunt Alaska. He was 1 of 4 people I asked and really only 1 of 2 I would of preferred for the hunt. We'd only met that one day elk hunting, but stayed in touch over the seasons and could always tell he hunts hard and takes the steps necessary to give the best chance at success and do things right.

One more fortunate occurance of many on this hunt. Couldn't of asked for a better man to be on the hunt with me. He quizzed me as much as I would of myself and studied just as hard as if the tag was his to make sure we were ready.

We spent from that call in February to September reading articles, making calls, training, practicing calls, and just all around getting ready for the hunt.

01-Oct-22
Starting off with a bang! Congratulations on drawing! Looking forward to how your hunt turns out!

01-Oct-22
By September we had the bulk of our gear shipped to Alaska, rifle sighted in, more than in shape, and all of our I's dotted and T's crossed. My buddy called one day and said "what else do we need to do". My response was "nothing. Just stay in shape and I'll keep practing calls as well."

Wanting to hunt more than the 10 days if possible I had asked the pilot if we could arrive early and in the event he had an opening for him to fly us in earlier. He wouldn't make a promise on it, but let me know it wouldn't bother him if we came early just in case. So we had set flights so that we would arrive on the 8th, which turned out to be a good choice.

01-Oct-22

We got into the lodge close to the pilots airstrip around midnight of the 8th and were up early the next morning hoping we'd get to fly in. The area had set a new record this year of over 30 days straight of measurable rainfall. This morning was one more, it was raining steadily at 7 AM and we waited until 8 to go over to the pilots to not walk in to early.

His friend met us in the shop and as we visited the pilots son-in-law rolled in, then the pilot, everyone assumed we wouldn't be flying that day. Knowing the protocol we planned to roll with it. Lucky for us after about an hour and a half the rain stopped and clouds down low started to break.

Even though he had sheep hunters up high begging to come out he couldn't reach them with the clouds still up high on the mountain. A lucky break for us! The pilot asks if we want to go in and can get ready that day. Umm, yes! We hurried over to the lodge ate a fast breakfast, grabbed our bags, and back over to the pilots to dive into our gear boxes and get gear from the boxes into our bags and packs. Didn't time it but the pilot was shocked at how fast we were ready to go! We even had to wait a bit longer for the clouds to clear up enough.

When they were they took a gear load in first as we actually hunted close to the pilot's airstrip and he decided to just take an extra load rather than cram us full. Next flight was me, followed by my buddy in with the other pilot assisting. By 1 PM we were in camp.

02-Oct-22

By 4 PM we had camp set, wood for a few days chopped and stored, and water jugs filled. Time to scout :)

This is the part where I'll share that all my ideas for how we'd be hunting moose were thrown out the window by the pilot. As he asked if we were okay hunting off a glacier valley where our strategy was to sit on the glacier and glass then put on a stalk if we saw a bull we liked. This was not shown in any videos or part of any articles I read. But the pilot said he hadn't put hunters in this spot for 2 years and said it produced good bulls so we were in.

Not sure why they used the glacier as at the base of the mountainside was some small ridges that made for excellent vantage points and kept us that much closer to the mountain should an opportunity present itself. We elected for this. The first evening we glassed 4 bulls and several cows on the mountain. To us two looked like for sure shooters and a possible 3rd. We called scouting quits early as they worked their way up the mountain and decided to get a good meal and nights sleep in. We had our plan for the morning.

02-Oct-22

By 4 PM we had camp set, wood for a few days chopped and stored, and water jugs filled. Time to scout :)

This is the part where I'll share that all my ideas for how we'd be hunting moose were thrown out the window by the pilot. As he asked if we were okay hunting off a glacier valley where our strategy was to sit on the glacier and glass then put on a stalk if we saw a bull we liked. This was not shown in any videos or part of any articles I read. But the pilot said he hadn't put hunters in this spot for 2 years and said it produced good bulls so we were in.

Not sure why they used the glacier as at the base of the mountainside was some small ridges that made for excellent vantage points and kept us that much closer to the mountain should an opportunity present itself. We elected for this. The first evening we glassed 4 bulls and several cows on the mountain. To us two looked like for sure shooters and a possible 3rd. We called scouting quits early as they worked their way up the mountain and decided to get a good meal and nights sleep in. We had our plan for the morning.

02-Oct-22
Off to a good start! Following this!

02-Oct-22

Going to detour a bit and share some other aspects of the hunt.

Tired of eating mountainhouse and others preservative filled freeze dried meals my buddy decided last year that he was going to start a freeze dried food business and I'll be damned if he didn't! His mission is to keep all their meals home cooked and preservative free. They just got full state and federal licensing this summer so ours were some of the first meals for the season. I might be biased, however his meals really do have good flavor and it's nice to know that the meal is home cooked. Currently almost all of the ingredients are also locally grown either in their 60 acre garden or by local companies. To say we ate well is an understatement! If you're interested (I'm not affiliated with his company, just proud of a friend) On Point Adventure Foods is his company.

Our tent setup was Seek Outside's Redcliff Light with the SXL stove. Perfect setup for two and leave plenty of room for gear and small wood pile inside. I even set up my camp chair inside for the one rainy afternoon we did have. Being a floorless tent, we cut pieces of synthetic roof underlayment to set under the cots and an extra strip for along the top of the tent to lay gear on. Definitely was helpful in keeping gear clean.

My rifle (yes I know) was a Tikka .308. I elected to keep with the .308 as first off it's my baby for rifles because I don't like recoil. Plus with the heavier grain bullets it hits hard, only 1 animal has went more than 50 yds from being shot with this or my .338 federal which is just the .308 necked up. More importantly my scope has windage dots in which I made a cheat sheet for 50" width from 100 yds to 500 yds set at 5.3x power. This made more sense then guessing the width based on distance between eyes and hoping I kept that distance correct. So I cut a 2x4 at 50" and checked what mil dots it was at for those distances.

02-Oct-22

Few pics of camp setup.

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22
Fun fact turn the stove towards your buddy's side of the tent. They'll be inclined to keep adding wood to the fire during the night ;) This wasn't by design but good piece of information learned.

With the rain consistent for so long having fire starters was an absolute must. The stoves for these tents are small, but even with the small pieces of wood and sticks it was all reasonably well saturated. It would of been an uphill battle without good firestarter to get one lit.

02-Oct-22
Alright back to hunting...

To the ridges we wanted to sit was about a 3/4 mile walk along the bottom of the mountain so no need to get up to terribly early. We arrose at 5:30 and on the trail by around 6.

I learned on this hunt we definitely have two different styles in getting ready. I'm almost over confident in that I have everything and am ready to roll quickly. My buddy takes more caution and triple checks everything. This actually worked as a great combination as I was forced to either look again for something or wait in boredom and he was pushed to check one less time and be ready to roll as I would be antsy to go.

02-Oct-22

Our plan was as instructed sit at those ridges at the base of the mountain and glass. We found our way into a double ridge that had a nice crevice between to walk in and pop up to the top and glass from. After glassing til about 7:30 or so I left the spotting scope with my partner and went to the end of the ridge about 75 yards to throw out a few calls and rake a bit. This was mostly as the bulls we'd seen the evening before were a WAYS down the mountain side and bringing them closer would not of been opposed to by us. On my way to call I got lucky and spotted a shed antler, nice bonus.

Not wanting to overdo it I called for roughly 40 minutes and came back to glass. No moose spotted yet but it was early. Didn't take much longer and horns appear at the top of the mountain!

02-Oct-22

Knowing the bulls had worked up the mountain the evening before I was spending most of my time glassing up top and working back down some.

Of course up top is where they showed. As soon as the bull stepped out from a bush it was obvious this was the biggest one we saw the day before. Pretty soon his buddy showed as well and really confirmed these were the two bulls that ran together that we were all excited over the bigger of the two! At almost 2 miles away we of course judged an easy 60". Not only legal, but huge! Experts here.

02-Oct-22

Now the dilemma. Day 1, big bull in a good spot for a stalk. Only problem he's a loooong ways from camp.

When we flew in the pilot flew me down the valley and pointed to valley marking where he suggested we not go past. He said it's doable to go further but he'd seen a couple groups not be able to recover their bull for going to far and/or to high up on this mountain. Pretty sure our youth was half the reason he decided to put us in this spot. Didn't expect to hunt moose on a mountainside like elk.

Even my buddy and another guy he knew were not put in country like this when they hunted in previous years. It was more gentle valleys not a full blown mountainside!

So a bit of debate ensued, chase the bull immeditately or wait a minute. Again good for having a partner with more patience. He mentioned we eat breakfast as it was past 8:30 and just see what the bulls did. I agreed, they weren't going anywhere that we couldn't see.

02-Oct-22
We didn't even get done boiling water and our decision was made. The big boy laid down and was in a perfect spot for a stalk.

If we went straight up the mountain to about 100 yds below ridgeline then horizontal over there would be a small knoll between us and the bull that would keep us out of site until within range.

So we went ahead and ate a nice bisquits and gravy and made sure the bull stayed put. Time to go!

02-Oct-22
As we work our way up I do question our sanity as we know this bull is a long way out. However he's in a great spot to stalk. Which became more evident as we worked up.

The pilot and others at the airstrip warned that the brush was much taller and thicker than it looked. They were not kidding, this stuff was chest high consistently and small tree pockets mixed in that were higher.

This really was a part of why I wanted to go up and shoot this bull where he was. It was thinner up there.

Anyway we make it up and work over. Before the knoll we check our wind. It's quartering in our face, perfect. Plan is to ease over the knoll and be on alert.

My buddy is right on my hip and spots him first. He's standing now feeding on small trees, about 100 yds right from where I had estimated he was bedded. We slide up a couple more yards and drop down.

With this brush I'm very thankful to have went with a bipod with height for sitting. Even on the ground I was a bit low so I sat on my pack and extended the legs further. They were resting on the brush still not even the ground. However it was thick and I was steady.

Now the big test. Is he legal?

02-Oct-22
He's quartering ever so slighly away so no chance at seeing his brow tines for 4 on one side. Does his width actually make it? In my eyes he does all day! But I calm down and start looking through the scope at my references. Repeatedly I'm seeing the 50" mark exceeded.

In hindsight I was over confident here I'll admit, however the judgement was correct he was legal. Anyone know how to upload video? There's several videos leading up to and after the shot.

Confident he's legal, steady, and a nice slight quartering away shot I'm solid. My buddy did an excellent job of staying in my ear to take my time, he actually got me to take one extra breath. The shot is crisp, smooth, and steady, the bull rocks back at the shot. It's one of those shots you know is solid.

After rocking back he runs forward and is immediately behind the bush he was by and over the little hill. Even though ready, zero chance at a follow up. We wait...

I rolled off to the right just to see if I could see him, however knew it likely wouldnt be. So come back and settle in and give him 30.

Fun for us! As his buddy shows up and starts grunting and raking almost where the bull was where I shot. We got some more video and checked him out. Also confirming that it wasn't the same bull I shot. We're pretty confident he's looking for his friend.

Right as my buddy goes to get out the big camera the 2nd bull decides he's had enough and wonders off. Guess it's time to go look.

02-Oct-22

We make our way and as we get to the top of the hill my bull stands up. He's obviously in bad shape as he doesn't even take a step, however I'm a beliver in if they're standing I'm shooting. It's a hard quartering away shot at 30 yds.

He took the round and only took a step. Dead straight away now, luckily my buddy says don't shoot he's done. I was half tempted to for the principle of he's standing, but would have ruined a lot of meat. Quickly he takes a couple wobbly steps and is down.

What a feeling and a sight! This bull had the most beautiful view for his last.

02-Oct-22

Being that we are in an antler restricted unit of 50" or 4 brows we quickly check. He meets both. Four brows on the right and 51.5" wide. Again experts...

We both admire the bull and give thanks to God. It takes awhile to sink in, we really just shot a magnificent bull day 1 of a 10 day hunt on a DIY in Alaska. Words don't describe the feeling.

Plenty of photos later we get to work. The bull was shot at 11 AM, started butchering at noon, and by 5:30 he's completely quartered and meat down the mountain to the next flat about 100 yds away.

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

Two small lessons learned that day.

Elk sized game bags are not big enough for moose, thankfully I had two sets to put some over the top.

Always bring your frame pack. I had mine, however my buddy did not. He got the joy of taking two bags of miscellaneous meat swinging around down the mountain as they didn't stay tied well without support. Of course I had a hind quarter so my walk wasn't much easier.

Aside from his rifle (he bought a general license to carry a gun and maybe get a crack at a wolf) we left our gear and my rifle on the mountain. Only gear in our pack back to camp was water and medical kit. We had pack covers for both our packs and I put my rain jacket over my rifle in the event of rain.

We tied a couple articles of clothing to branches around the meat to help ward off bears. The pilot affectionately nicknamed this location Grizzly Point.

02-Oct-22

Did I mention we shot this moose at the top of the mountain?

Yep, it hurt. As the crow flies we were 1.5 miles from camp, as we walked it was 1.7 and down a short rockslide if we went more directly to camp down the mountain. 1.9 miles if we went straight down, then followed the valley out.

Our load the first evening was direct towards camp. The next day first load was down, then back up for the second which we went the route towards camp. We missed our opening and found ourselves sliding down a dirt chute 30 feet to hit the valley floor. We joked that some would be so proud of our choice to slide down the chute holding onto a pack full of meat!

02-Oct-22

The next morning we had the head, ribs, gear, and a small bag of misc meat at the top. On the way up I mentioned we'll get it in one load, my buddy thinks two. After getting to the top he was on my side. Get this all down the mountain and not have to come back up! So load heavy again we did.

FYI if your friend ever is worried about bears DO NOT let them bring a whistle. Not only did we not have to worry about bears, we did not have to worry about seeing anything on the mountain. However we didn't see any grizzlys.

After taking this trip I'll forever be grateful for bringing a capable partner. Even had I shot the moose closer to camp having a second person was an enormous help. From cutting him up, to getting me up off the ground with the hind quarter straped on. Hats off to Kevin Dill for going solo. Definitely can see it being done if staying close, but man what a chore.

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

With it all in the valley we swapped loads and got most of it to camp that night. The next morning we had 1 small load left and brought it in.

Timing couldn't have been more perfect. For a weather forecast that predicted over 50% chance of rain every day we had only experienced a 5 minute spatter thus far. With the last of the meat in and hung. We got water and were debating lunch when the rain came. Knowing the pilot wouldn't be in we decided this was a great time to utilize those shooters my buddy brought in.

Captain Morgan and Emergency makes a pretty good cocktail! After that we had a couple hot chocolates and fireball. Being that the work was done and it was raining we were happy campers to sit in the tent and enjoy.

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22

Apologies if it's long winded. I'll try and wrap up.

We weren't real sure when the pilot would get us. All we had received was likely the next day. So the next morning we didn't get in a hurry and woke up to a breathtaking sight. The clouds had parted down the valley and we could see the snow capped peaks dead center with pink hues in the sky above.

Cameras came out and we snapped plenty of pictures. Shortly after my buddy is on a nature call and I'm journaling when we hear a familiar sound that's getting closer. Crap!

We scramble to get dressed and load the plane with meat, the second plane is in right after. How fast can you boys have camp broken down? Uhh, an hour I say. Pilot says okay and he'll be back.

Well 30 minutes later he's in and we had enough ready to send out my buddy. I break the rest and am ready for the second plane.

02-Oct-22

What a hunt. Other than not being able to spend more time in that valley there's not a thing I would change.

We spent the next couple days butchering the moose ourselves at an aquantaince of my buddies. Once done the meat went to the freezer storage at the airport, skull to a taxidermist for a euro mount, and off we went to do some touring of Alaska!

02-Oct-22
I will never judge rifle vs bow on a hunt like this. A huge congrats and thanks for sharing your hunt here. 2 of the pictures you posted are absolutely stunningly beautiful. You cannot get a more beautiful photo and you have a moose in them too. What a hunt. You hit the jackpot!

It's even more incredible that you shared this hunt with a stranger that you met literally in the woods on a previous hunt. Life's good!

02-Oct-22
Dang good Read

Congrats a Dandy Moose,

Robb

02-Oct-22
Congrats and thanks for posting your story.

02-Oct-22
great story, thanks for sharing.

could you tell me what bullet you were using in the .308?

02-Oct-22
Great hunt. Great story and write up. Way to get it done. You were definitely in a "young man's" area. My legs, knees and lungs were hurting just following along. Well done!!

02-Oct-22
Man, that's just awesome. Great recap, and pictures. Congrats on a great hunt!

02-Oct-22
Agree with Quinn’s assessment, above. I couldn’t imagine hunting in a much more picturesque setting. Congrats to you and your newfound friend on terrific hunt, and thank you for taking us along!

02-Oct-22
congrats!

02-Oct-22
Thank you for taking us along. Now I want to hunt a moose from a glacier. If anyone is going and would like to have a slow, old, and fat guy along give me a shout.

02-Oct-22
I saw the pain and then the joy in your eyes. Excellent recap. I would say, the trip was worth it. Nicely done. Paul

02-Oct-22
Awesome stuff! I love it man!!!!

02-Oct-22
Doesn't get much better than that. A pile of meat and memories. Well done sir. Thanks for sharing.

02-Oct-22

RonP - Bullet of choice was the Federal Trophy Bonded in 180 grain

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Lots of great memories from this hunt and trip.

Freezer is already full again so have made some calls to make sure there's people lined up for deer should I be fortunate enough to fill those tags this fall.

02-Oct-22

02-Oct-22
Quinn - It's really been amazing some of the friends made from hunting trips. Good character shows and I'd rather hunt with guys like my buddy on this trip than some that I see on a regular basis. Having a partner to push just as hard made a world of difference.

You should see the looks people give when I tell them I was going or went on a hunt with a guy I'd met once!

02-Oct-22
I’ll bet it won’t be the last hunt you do with him! Congrats, again!

02-Oct-22
Thanks for sharing. Dream trip and outcome.

02-Oct-22
Ah, the advantage of youth. That's one nice moose and that meat will be excellent! Did you ever see any other moose after you got yours? The scenery is breath taking! Nothing like hunting in the mountains. Thank you for kindly sharing your trip. Jim

02-Oct-22
Awesome hunt write up and pics!

Congrats and thanks for sharing with us!

02-Oct-22
Congrats on a successful hunt! That would be a blast. Thanks for telling your story, was fun reading it. Nice pics also!

02-Oct-22
Beautiful country! Great moose! Spectacular story! Well done! Congratulations!

02-Oct-22
Congrats. great story.. Thanks for taking the time to write it up...!!!

02-Oct-22
Dream hunt buddy, proud of ya!

02-Oct-22
We'll done and thanks for telling the story and posting pics. Looking forward to seeing the vids.

02-Oct-22
Congratulations, thanks for sharing a great hunt story, and wonderful photos.

02-Oct-22
A great hunt in a beautiful place and a big moose at the end of the trail ! What’s not to like ? That judging the rack with mil dots was genius ! Thanks for the write-up and the pictures, both were great.

02-Oct-22
It definitely was a breath taking place to be, words don't describe the beauty of that valley. Excited to see the photos from the big camera.

T-roy - Not taking that bet! We're already planning another we want to do but wanted to put all effort into this hunt first.

Jim - We only saw the one bull that was traveling with mine right after I shot. We got a pretty good show. After that between our walking around and my buddy blowing his whistle to ward off bears the mountainside was blown out. We did see some up top in another valley on the fly out.

For anyone going with a rifle, highly recommend using windage dots to judge width. Next time I'll go with 50yd increments. This bull was either 220 or 240 depending on which of us was either reading off of the bush or the bull. So it was a bit more of a estimate trying to understand the dots between 200 and 300 references. Still much better than trying to multiply his head width into 50".

There will be return trips up to Alaska.

03-Oct-22
Congratulations and thanks for writing up the recap for us!

03-Oct-22
Right on man! Huge congrats!

06-Oct-22
Great recap, great moose and fantastic pics!! Bravo sir!

06-Oct-22
What a trophy of a moose!! Absolutely gorgeous pictures. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

06-Oct-22
What a fantastic recap, CONGRATS!!! This is my dream hunt for sure.

06-Oct-22
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to post!!! Hunt

07-Oct-22
Yes sir. I love it!!!

07-Oct-22
Fantastic man. What a memory! Making me miss moose hunting even more...

07-Oct-22
Excellent stuff!

09-Oct-22
Excellent recap, great pics. Congrats on an awesome hunt and animal!

12-Oct-22
AWESOME what a view! Great pics and nice moose!

12-Oct-22
Sounds like a great adventure. Congrats!!

12-Oct-22
Congratulations

12-Oct-22
That's a great looking moose. I love the long tines and the cupped paddles.

13-Oct-22
Great moose and amazing country to hunt out of! Congratulations on a job well done.

13-Oct-22
fantastic photography - very well done, gorgeous moose

• Sitka Gear