CarlosCoffey 15-Feb-23
pirogue 15-Feb-23
Whocares 15-Feb-23
Dale06 15-Feb-23
Mule Power 16-Feb-23
MathewsMan 16-Feb-23
DonVathome 16-Feb-23
02-Oct-22
I got cold this year hunting and don't want that again. With that said I want a quality zero degree bag. I have been looking at: Stone glacier chilkoot 0* First lite Nemo stalker 0* Kuiu super down 0*

I crawled into the stone glacier at scheels and it has plenty of room to toss and turn(I am a restless sleeper) and to side sleep. I am leaning towards it. The kuiu looks lime the foot box might be too tight for me. The firstlite has 800 down vs the others have 850....but those vents in the bag have me thinking hard about it from a versatility point on warming nights. Does anyone have any input on these 3 bags or any other recommendations? I want a bag that if it gets slightly wet it will still keep me warm. Thanks

02-Oct-22
Add Western Mountaineering to the mix, and they have a semi-rectangular bags which are great for side sleepers.

02-Oct-22
It’s not so much about having 0 degree bag as it is to have a ‘sleep system’

I have a Big Agnes 0 degree bag and have absolutely froze my ass off in it with a BA insulated core air mattress.

The key is to have a thermal break between you and the air mattress or it will suck your body heat.

So I use a cheap foam pad between now. All better.

02-Oct-22
Western mountaineering. Best in the business keep you warm to well below their Rating

02-Oct-22
Of those 3 I would probably lean toward the SG. I own a Kuiu, and it’s fine. But to me none of them compare to my Western Mountaineering bags. Bar none the best out there in my opinion. But prepare yourself for the price, buy once cry once ;)

—Jim

02-Oct-22
The western mountaineering bags down aren't treated with the water repellent that I can find. Is there an issue with those in damp conditions?

02-Oct-22
The WM microfiber covers are pretty darned water-repellent (their least water-repellant material), never had an issue with my WM in damp conditions. When I first bought mine I poured a cup of water on it and after 5 minutes there was no detectable penetration. Never been to SE AK either.

02-Oct-22
Western Mountaineering if your budget allows.

02-Oct-22
Another vote for WM. I have the Versalite and used in AK and all of my western hunts.

02-Oct-22

ryanrc's Link
Thoughts on this one?

02-Oct-22
What temps are you usually using it in?

Are you backpacking where weight is an issue?

Not trying to sidetrack you from your choices, but depending on conditions they may be way overkill.

Answers to these couple questions might help steer you in the right direction.

I agree with Cnelk, the bag isn’t the only variable to being comfortable.

02-Oct-22
I don't backpack as much as I used to but I always had a 0 deg bag. Usually temps are in the 30s-40s for a low during season. Too much bag for warmer nights but way easier to uncover than to try and find warmth when underbagged. I don't always store my bags correctly so they lose some rating anyway.

02-Oct-22
6' 1.5" 195 lbs.

I want a cold weather bag for backpack hunts. I froze in a tent this year elk hunting and ended up hunting out of my suv more because I didn't want to be cold. Didn't ruin my hunt or anything but limited some options for overnight bivys. I hate being cold when I am trying to sleep. The vents on the nemo first lite made me think that it would cover me warmer and colder which is why I inquired about that one. But in the end, I can leave it unzipped if necessary. A few hundred dollars doesn't matter to me if it is a bomb proof bag that's packable. My hang up is I hate mummy bags. I can't sleep in them very well. Thanks

02-Oct-22
If you are happy with how your bag fits you now, have you tried those thermolite reactor bag liners? They’ve worked well for me.

02-Oct-22
Love my WM. Never been cold in it and i get cold at night. I use an insulated air pad also. I can’t recall which one I have, it is definitely a little tight. I’m same height and weight as you. Wish I had a little more room. The storm glacier bag looks pretty comfy. Curious if anyone has it since no on here has mentioned it yet.

02-Oct-22
WM or feathered friends. By far your two best choices. I have a 15 degree FF. I just came back from an overnighter. Not overly cold, around 38 degrees. I was unzipped about halfway. I also use a silk liner, which takes the edge of the air when unzipped. That 15 degree bag is pretty light too.

02-Oct-22
I have a Marmot Helium 15 degree with 850 down. So light and compact hard to believe it works. I use a thermarest foam pad, much warmer than air. And I have a single size light fleece type blanket I put on top of me inside the bag when needed. Warm as can be. If gets really cold I wear long underwear. And this is for backpacking in. Oh, and a shot of peppermint schnapps before crawling in is necessary.

02-Oct-22
I have a Marmot Helium 15 degree with 850 down. So light and compact hard to believe it works. I use a thermarest foam pad, much warmer than air. And I have a single size light fleece type blanket I put on top of me inside the bag when needed. Warm as can be. If gets really cold I wear long underwear. And this is for backpacking in. Oh, and a shot of peppermint schnapps before crawling in is necessary.

02-Oct-22
oops. Double post cuz I'm home now an drinking wine. Sorry.

02-Oct-22
Out of curiosity, what R value pad are you using? I used a cheapie for a couple years before it finally popped on me and froze my rear end off during those trips. Upgraded to an Xtherm using the same sleeping bags and it’s been a game changer.

02-Oct-22
Klymit air pad. I forget the type but it isn't insulated.

02-Oct-22
I can’t add much here…I’ve used Kifaru, BA, KUIU, and others. I’ve gotten rid of all my “other” bags and now own 3 Western Mountaineering bags. 0 degree, 15 degree and 30…. I have not found better…

03-Oct-22
Kota, how have you found your WM bags to hold up in moisture/wet climates.

I’ve came back to my tent wet and cold plenty of times and it has led me to grabbing a synthetic bag over down on most of my trips lately. But I’ve been giving some of the WM a look here recently after carrying around the heavy synthetic bag all of this past elk season.

03-Oct-22
Get a better pad as well Ryan. I went with an exped downmat a few years ago and that made a world of difference in my sleeping warmth. A little heavier than I'd like but its rock solid.

03-Oct-22
A couple things…I used to be worried about moisture with WM bags and will say they require a little extra care but I have not had a problem. Like Matt said above, the micro fiber does a pretty good job. I recently did a Dall sheep hunt in SE AK and it was pretty wet out but my bag never was.

Agree with others on the pad. The Xtherm is excellent but not very thick. I tend to gravitate towards my XTherm for combination of warmth and weight. The BA Q Core SLX is nice as well. Not quite as warm, but more comfortable. I love Rocky’s advice: Don’t drink before bed and wear a head covering. I wear a wool skull cap to bed on the mountain.

03-Oct-22
I also have the Marmot Helium......usually have it zipped open as I get too warm. Waving just a light flat sheet or something for your noggin can make all the difference with any bag. WM rocks for sure but $$$$

04-Oct-22
I also have a Marmot Helium that I've used on most of my hunts and it has held up very well. I also have a Kifaru 20* and a WM 0* bag. All of them have been great for me!

15-Feb-23
Based on what you've shared, it sounds like you're considering a 0-degree down sleeping bag. This should be suitable for the three seasons, and you can always adjust the temperature by unzipping it or layering it up with thermals and an oversized jacket. In terms of a down vs. synthetic sleeping bag, a down bag has a better warmth-to-weight ratio and is a good choice for someone who is willing to pay extra. If you're looking for a lightweight option, you may want to check out Effortless Outdoors' collection of the lightest down sleeping bags. They have a variety of options to choose from, and you might find what you're looking for on https://effortlessoutdoors.com/lightest-down-sleeping-bags/ . Good luck with your search!

15-Feb-23
No experience with the 3 you mentioned, but have you thought of adding a silk liner to the bag if needed. I’m another Marmot Helium user, but mine is an older one with 900 Ct down, instead of todays 850 ct, so it packs smaller and is lighter. But with the silk liner if needed, it makes the cold rating better.

15-Feb-23
Marmot Helium 15 degree. Packs very small. Very warm. If ya don't believe me, Who Cares.

15-Feb-23
I have a Wenzel bag that’s 40 years old. I have no idea it’s rating or type of fill. It’s warm. One thing my wife did for me was take a bed sheet and sew it into a tube (open on one end) . That serves as a liner for my bag. It adds quite a bit of warmth and is softer than the nylon lining in many bags.

16-Feb-23
I don’t play games. I need my sleep. A cold night means no sleep and tired achy muscles. I have 2 bags. One is a 20 below and the other a 30 below. It’s too easy to just leave them unzipped or hang a leg out. But when the time comes to zip it up I never complained about being too warm.

16-Feb-23
I’m with the Marmot Helium folks although I don’t currently have one. I must burn hot as I don’t think I have really been cold except for a deer hunt in Eastern Colorado in sun-zero temperatures all day treestand sits.

I had a KUIU 0 degree bag on my last Kodiak trip and it was like a furnace even with wet damp conditions. I like the lightweight and stuff size of it.

16-Feb-23
Plenty of room = cooler and/or heavier to stay warm vs smaller/tight bags. I also prefer a long model so I get it.

Smarba talked me into a liner - weighs under a half pound and helps make a bag 5-10 degrees warmer and a lot more comfortable. I always take it. I am glad he talked mt into it I was resistant for a while.

• Sitka Gear