Inshart 09-Oct-22
ND String Puller 09-Oct-22
JEG 09-Oct-22
BC 09-Oct-22
TREESTANDWOLF 19-Oct-22
03-Oct-22

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
Join me for the ride, it’s a wild one. And the ending… unbelievable.

“Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps and happy campfires.” Fred Bear

Flights on Delta from LaGuardia to Vancouver where without issue. Customs in Vancouver went pretty smooth but I was delayed in recovery my duffel and bow case. ( You’ll see below why) I barely had enough time to get my gear and run upstairs to check in to Air North. Once at the counter, the woman was taking her time and seemed like she was talking to the person at the gate, so I was ok there, but holy hell broke loose at the security line. It took forever because they have an antiquated system still and people didn’t take out all toiletries, remove jewelry or shoes.,, ugh! I couldn’t believe what I was witnessing. This was a patience test.

Once at the gate I boarded and things went great. A sandwich, a couple of cold drinks and a warm chocolate chip cookie, all included at no extra cost.

Picking up the rental car was seamless and I made the 4 plus hour drive o the Alaska Highway to Watson Lake to spend the night at the “ Big Horn Hotel” I was beat. (Side note: Zero cell signal through most of the 4 hours after leaving Whitehorse until arriving near Watson Lake)

Received the text from Joel the next am and he said be at the house at 8 am, sharp. A great breakfast next door and I was in the Beaver and flown in shortly afterwards.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

Air North
Air North

03-Oct-22

The “ Cookie”
The “ Cookie”

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

The pilot “ Chase” was very good and well, made me feel comfortable. The 85 mile flight took about 45 minutes.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

See ya !

03-Oct-22
FINALLY!!!

03-Oct-22

Off loaded and headed south to camp.

03-Oct-22

Whitehorse Airport
Whitehorse Airport

03-Oct-22
Can’t wait!!!! Keep it comin

03-Oct-22
Get er done…

03-Oct-22
Rock-n - Roll--------->

Here we go,

Robb

03-Oct-22

This hunt took place on Toobally Lake in the Yukon from September 22nd to September 30th.

67 calling set ups, many miles hiking and water traveled for this hunt.

I had my own separate cabin with a woodstove that I periodically used in the evening.

The weather was unseasonably warm with the temps some days in the high 60’s and the lows in the lower to mid 40’s. No frost and periodic light rain.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22
Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

03-Oct-22

I’m continuing this recap with a summary of the gear I used with a 1 out of 5 star rating with 5 being the best. All of my choices where simply my preference and from suggestions made by other hunters who have done this trip. I’m by no means an expert and these ratings are based my experiences during this hunt.

All hunting clothing and rain gear was Kuiu: - 5 (One outstanding piece was the jacket, super quiet for drawing the bow and quite warm.)

Insulation: First Light Incinerator top and bottom: - 5 (I had to use these for the late evened boat rides back even with the Kuiu merino, vest and jacket underneath. The wind was chilly.

Accessories: Kuiu Bino harness with the range finder holder: - 5 (Used extensively and by far my favorite piece of gear.) Kuiu Bow Package: 3 (The string cover was perfect for protection walking through the willows and bush, but the sewn in Velcro is in positions that make it hard to connect, although I didn’t during the walk ins and out. The scope protector really wasn’t needed and the nock/fletching cover has a very small cord. Once a arrow is removed from the quiver, it can literally fall off. I’ll be changing the cord for a longer one. I’ve always used these to keep the nocks free of debris and from becoming damaged.

Nikon Range Finder - 2 I still use an older model and it’s time for an upgrade.

Bow Case: Legend: - 5 worked flawlessly however I was led to believe it would be treated as luggage, however it was not. This led to a long delay in Vancouver. TSA opened the integral TAS lock and never Re-locked the case for me. I figured as much so I also added small cable type locks to the bow case and duffel bag which where locked after inspection.

Bow: Mathews V3X -33 @ 63lbs: - 4 (I’m giving the bow a 4 because most of the Granite finish has peeled of around the handle and riser. I would have expected better from Mathews for the price. Other than that it performed flawlessly.

Sight: Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin:-5

Rest: Hameska Trinity: 5 (I thought maybe the limb driver curd would be and issue, but I always kept the quiver on until we where set up.

Arrow Build : RIP TKO 300, Q2I vanes, Whitewater Archery wrap with S125 Ironwilloutfitters head. (* Can’t tell you the rating yet)

Pack: Kuiu Venture 2300- 5

Iridium Satellite Phone: -5

Kadytin Pump Water Filter: 3 awhile the filtered lake water tasted fine, the entire set up seemed cumbersome to use. Keeping the output hose clean while pumping, and putting things away where basically a pain,but the pump and filtration was perfect. I believe it’s the wrong application for this type of hunt unless you fill a bladder which I had with me but used a bottle instead.

Boots: Lacrosse 800 insulated, - 5 Wish I had hiking boots with me because they where cumbersome on the longer treks.

Optics: Vortex 10x42 - 2 I was honestly disappointed in the clarity and the low light visibility. I think my 8x32 Swarovski’s would have been better. Long range optics are critical for glassing the lake during the early morning hours and early evening hours.

Socks: By “ Darn Tough”

03-Oct-22

9/22 -Day 1: I met with my outfitter Joel and it was go time at 8:00 am. We transferred all my gear into his truck and after a short ride, I was looking at my 4th flight in two days and couldn’t be more excited!

I was flown into camp by a Beaver pilot who name is “ Cash” We hit it right off being my name was “ Rich”.

The 85 mile flight that took about 40 minutes or so before landing on the 13 plus mile, lower Toobally Lake in the Yukon.

I Stepped out of the plane met my guide for this adventure, Dave. He smiled and I knew we immediately hit it off. Dave has an extensive background. He is a US National Guard veteran, experienced trapper, a published writer with many featured articles in Bowhunter magazine and many others. Dave also is a volunteer EMS paramedic and has been guiding moose for 32 years. He also owns a fishing lodge on the lake for Lake Trout, Grayling and Pike. I’m in good hands. He knows the lake and river systems.

I would be hunting from a small fishing camp cabin, at the south end of the lake, complete with a woodstove.

After a short ride down the lake, I checked my bow and became settled in no time. Since there where no targets available, under up 3 layers of pine bark, some cardboard, and magazine. I took the shot at 25 yards, dead on, but practice arrow number one, gone.

After some conversation with Dave and a bowl of mushroom soup, it was time to rest from the traveling.

We where to hit the lake to do some glassing around 4pm if the weather and wind held out.

As we headed up the lake, Dave slowed the boat motor to a crawl so we could glass all the shorelines ahead. Each new cove brought new anticipation in hopes of seeing my first Yukon moose. After about and hour, we reached a river opening and there stood a small bull, feeding in the water. My first sighting of a true Yukon Moose. We got within 190 yards before the small bull moved off slowly to the shoreline. Within seconds, he disappeared into the dense bush. We continued our journey up the river to a point where this river intersected another river. Dave really liked this area and it looked fantastic but the winds where swirling and it would not be ideal conditions to call. After checking for some sign, Dave decided it was time to head back to camp in order to be off the lake before dark.

The ride back has me in complete wonderment about the Yukon and this hunt. I considered day one, a success.

After a hearty supper, and some hot tea, it was time to load the wood stove in my little cabin to get some much needed rest. Not realizing how much wood I put in, around 2am I was soaking wet with sweat and proceeded to open the door and stand in the cool breeze outside in just my underwear Until the cabin cooled down. Holy hell was it hot. Won’t make that mistake again.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22
Man I have been waiting for this. So cool.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22
These threads make me feel like I'm reading a story from M.R. or Curt from the old Bowhunter magazine. Man they could bring it to life for us.

03-Oct-22
Can't wait for the rest!

03-Oct-22
Bow site at its finest!!

03-Oct-22

Day 2:

Coffee, pancakes and bacon started the morning and at 6:30 am, we made our way south, very slowly down river. The fog was rising above the river which made it a little tough to see. Dave wanted to stop and call at the “Old Boat” location. There was a very old, wooden boat frame, weathered in time on the shore, where we would start today. I tie us off and head in a short way. Dave raked the trees a couple of times with the boat paddle and waited for a response. In the distance, we hear a few grunts! A few minutes passed and Dave grunted back to the bull. We heard a few more grunts and waited,then nothing. We assumed he was with a cow and lost interest.

Soon after, we are back in the boat and head south again. With each turn of the river, I would glass ahead in hopes of seeing one of the giant moose I came here for. Then in a distance, I see a rack in the fog. (Pics below) Dave immediately goes even slower and starts calling. My bow is up, arrow nocked and my release is on the D loop. I look at Dave and he waves me off. He says, we can do better and this bill is 160-170. The bull sniffs the air, grunts back at us and we float past him. (This decision burned into my brain the entire trip but I trust my guide. The “ make believe” shot was 18 yards. As we float past him, he continued to smell the air and licks his lips, then circled the boat. After a few pics and a short video, we head even further south. We attempt 3 more locations with calls with no answer so we head back to the lake to glass the morning out.

The afternoon called for moderate rain. After a brief discussion we head to the north end of the lake. I’m glassing along the ride and see a bull headed to into the water from the west, wanting to swim east point.

I let Dave know so we can get a better look. It turned out he’s not a shooter but fun to watch and call to. We continued to watch him for a few minutes while he grunted back to us. Once on shore, he vanished. We did make it to the end of the lake, but then the skies opened up and the rest of the evening was chilly, windy washout.

Day 3: Coffee, eggs, home fries and bacon. I was “roughing” it. We loaded the boat and only idled to the “ Old boat” location. I set up and Dave was calling at day break. This attempt just felt good. We stayed for 15 mins and headed down river after no action.

At the second location, we tied off and Dave asked me set up about 20 yards away. Soon as I nocked an arrow, he called and then I watched a moose come right to his call, the moose stopped and I could have drilled him at 22 yards, but again, I’m called off and rightfully so. This bull was a “ Table Trophy” only, a real porker with no rack. See the photo below with my cam showing. These animals have incredible hearing. I shifted my on foot and he turned right at me. (Note taken) Dave messed with him for a few moments and then he walked off. Side note: This makes 4 bulls in 4 hunts. Was this a sign of things to come? One more set up, down river to a area we can’t get the boat to. We tied off and walked the distance to this new calling location. When I climb out of the boat, I see huge moose tracks in the sand bar. And they are recent. We arrive to the location and I set up on the bank, above the river where I could shoot up and down river and across. Dave starts raking a tree, letting out a few grunts now and then, and a cow call once in awhile. Based on the effort and location, we agree to stay out for a bit. No luck after 40 mins, so back to the boat and out to the lake.

Dave figured we should try one more location for the morning. We head halfway up the lake and tie off to this location. It’s very steep and doesn’t look “moosy”but what do I know? Dave let me know he’s called bulls right down this slope to the water. Again I look down, and there is fresh tracks in the mud.

I set up and Dave begins his sequence. Nothing other than squirrels that where pissed off that we where there. I look to my right where I put my quiver and see roofing nails in a tree. I’m thinking what the hell? I’m in the Yukon and there are nails in a tree that I decide to stand next to. I asked Dave a they are for one of his traps.

Dave patiently explains to me, “ Rich, zero talking and I mean zero. Be as quiet as you can getting into and out of the boat. Moose have incredible hearing and I have to listen for them. Just keep your eyes on me, you’ll be fine”.

I’m thinking ok, I’ve got a metal bow, we have a metal boat, and I have to learn moose calling sign language, and keep an eye on Dave when I can’t even see him in the bush! Talk about pressure.

The afternoon was windy and called for hike above the lake on a path that connected another lake to get out of the wind so we could hear. This area had a major fire the year before Covid. Thousands of acres where effected and Dave almost lost his entire fishing camp and cabins. It would be a 50 minute trek in rubber boots…. My feet are saying he’ll no to the rubber boots but I have only “ Crocks” besides the boots so that’s no go option. We reached the tie off and tried calling right away. No answers so up we go, vertical in rubber boots. After gaining the elevation Dave said let’s try here, my feet said ok. I move upward and we try for 45 mins or so, but no answer. So we head back down to the boat. This almost felt like Elk hunting.

Now we head North to an area that kept us out of the winds, sort of a cove with lots of willows and bogs. We tie of and step in.

Immediately we are game trail and there are fresh moose tracks. Dave gives me the thumbs up. (Zero talking) We move in further and Dave hears a cow, screaming her head off. He gestures maybe a big bull with her and we should go for it. Again, my feet say, ok. We then quietly move in and he literally almost fall into a bull moose rut hole. Tore to pieces. Of course I take a photo. It definitely had rut oder and this was getting good. No we have to cross a ton of blow downs, and head upwards, she’s still screaming. Dave says we can kill this bull If he’s with her. Now we are practically on a quick pace walk and get within 75 yards of her. I’m searching for the bull, Dave’s searching for the bull and then she shows. Dave grunts, and my release is on the loop. Our steps the bull and….. too small. My feet say WTF! Down we go and the boat ride in was reflections of lessons learned and another great day in the Yukon!

Day 4: The weather looked bleak and we may get rained out, but shortly after breakfast, we quietly make our way to the “Old Wooden Boat” location. Dave really believes in this location and insists we give it another go. I get into my position and this time bend a few willows out of my way. I can shoot in four directions now. Dave waits a few minutes and keys out a cow call. Boom, a grunt sounds off, and another, and another. This could be my opportunity. I hear raking of a tree and Dave waves me back to the lake. I get into position and hear splashing of water, this moose is walking along the edge and will offer me a 15 yard shot. I draw and Dave calls me off, “ we can do better” This is bull number 5 and I’m loving it. I take a few pics and he head north again, super slow in the boat. The lake and wind is quiet and it’s perfect for moose hunting. We turn the corner towards camp and Dave spots a cow and calf lakeside, he’s been waiting to see this. We glass her for a few minutes to see if there is a bull around, and nothing. He turned the boat and spots a huge bull, easily 200 class heading north. With a rifle he was dead, but not with a bow. The bull ducks into the willows as we head way north in front of him. Since I’m in front, I jump out first and tie the boat off. I look over the edge and again the water looks shallow. I’m good, nope. My foot got sucked into the black mud and i filled my boot with water. I don’t say anything to Dave and we head in for the set up. Laying eyes on that size moose was incredible. As I’m standing there listening to Dave’s calls, I’m straining to hear a grunt. 5,10,15 mins go by and nothing. Ten more minutes and Dave signals, let’s move. My in-boot foot bath was working excellent on the way out. Squeaky clean foot! In the boat I go, just realizing that as hard as it is with a bow, I’m loving every second. I am in the Yukon, hunting moose! We slowly head back to camp for the mid day break and I spot a bull on the shore where the cow and calf where. It’s quite a ways and my eyes are straining through the 10x42’s. Dave rolls in ever so quietly. He gets his binoculars up and, small bull. Number 7, yes, number 7. He assures me that it’s a matter of time. I say, let the hunt happen, and if it’s meant to be, it will.

After lunch and a quick nap, we headed north towards the end of the lake again. Dave decided on the way we should stop and glass a good portion of the lake since winds are calm and we can hear everything. After an hour, we continue north to a incredible area where Dave traps. From the sign we found walking in, this place felt great. We immediately set up after leaving the boat and Dave begins a calling sequence. We have no luck so we go in deeper. Two small creek crossings and a swap ahead had us set up again. This area was perfect for a bow. I set up into a spruce tree and waited. We tried this spot for 30 mins with no luck. I could tell Dave was getting frustrated a little because he certainly has the skill set to call moose, and definitely knows moose. I reiterated that we just let the hunt happen. I felt extremely confident in my guide and his ability. We head south again to a area where Dave has a “ Shore Lunch” for his fish camp guests. I set up right next to the picnic tables. We have about 30 mins of shooting light. He stated calling and immediately a few grunts and I could hear trees breaking. I’m ready. The back and forth calls continue for 20 mins and then we hear a cow calling at the bull. Ugh! Man so close again. It’s now almost completely dark and we head to camp. At this point in the hunt, lots of thoughts rush through my mind. Should I have shot that first bull on day one or am I happy with my guide calling me off of it and telling me I can do better? The what if factor is always there on these hunts.

Time will tell.

03-Oct-22

This really was a bit agonizing but don’t guide the guide.

Here is a close up of the bull.

03-Oct-22

And there he goes……

03-Oct-22

A swimmer

03-Oct-22
Great pics thanks for sharing. Good luck

03-Oct-22
What an adventure! Looks like an absolute blast! Got me on the edge of my seat for the rest of the story!

03-Oct-22
Come on Rich, Type faster!!!!

03-Oct-22
Wow. Loving This

03-Oct-22

Another one of the first day Bull.
Another one of the first day Bull.

03-Oct-22

Day 3: Coffee, eggs, home fries and bacon for breakfast. I was really “roughing” it. We loaded the boat and only idled to the “ Old boat” location. I set up and Dave was calling at day break. This attempt just felt good. We stayed for 15 mins and after no responses, we headed down river.

At the second location, we tied off and Dave asked me set up about 20 yards away. This spot just felt good. I had plenty of shooting lanes if a bull was to show.

Soon as I nocked an arrow, he called and then I watched a bull moose come right to his call, the moose stopped and I could have drilled him at 22 yards, but again, I’m called off and rightfully so. This bull was a “ Table Trophy” only, a real porker with no real rack. See the photo below with my cam showing.

These animals have incredible hearing. I shifted my on foot and he turned right at me. (Note taken)

Dave messed with him for a few moments and then he walked off. Side note: This makes 4 bulls in 4 hunts. Was this a sign of things to come?

One more set up, down river to a area we can’t get the boat to. We tied off and walked the distance to this new calling location. When I climb out of the boat, I see huge moose tracks in the sand bar. And they are recent. We arrive to the location and I set up on the bank, above the river where I could shoot up and down river and across, all potential shots within 40 yards or so. Dave starts raking a tree with his canoe paddle and letting out a few grunts now and then, and a cow call once in awhile. Based on the effort and location, we agree to stay out for a bit. No luck after 40 mins, so back to the boat, up river and out to the lake.

Dave figured we should try one more location for the morning. We head halfway up the lake and tie off to this location. It’s very steep and doesn’t look “moosy”but what do I know? Dave let me know he’s called bulls right down this slope to the water. Again I look down, and there is fresh tracks in the mud.

I set up and Dave begins his sequence. Nothing other than squirrels that where pissed off that we where there. They totally gave us up.

I look to my right where I put my quiver and see roofing nails in a tree. I’m thinking what the hell? I’m in the Yukon and there are nails in a tree that I decide to stand next to. I asked Dave a they are for one of his traps.

Dave patiently explains to me, “ Rich, zero talking and I mean zero. Be as quiet as you can getting into and out of the boat. Moose have incredible hearing and I have to listen for them. Just keep your eyes on me, you’ll be fine”.

I’m thinking ok, I’ve got a metal bow, we have a metal boat, and I have to learn moose calling sign language, and keep an eye on Dave when I can’t even see him in the bush! Talk about pressure.

The afternoon was windy and called for hike above the lake on a path that connected another lake to get out of the wind so we could hear. This area had a major fire the year before Covid. Thousands of acres where effected and Dave almost lost his entire fishing camp and cabins. It would be a 50 minute trek in rubber boots…. My feet are saying he’ll no to the rubber boots but I have only “ Crocks” besides the boots so that’s no go option. We reached the tie off and tried calling right away. No answers so up we go, vertical in rubber boots. After gaining the elevation Dave said let’s try here, my feet said ok. I move upward and we try for 45 mins or so, but no answer. So we head back down to the boat. This almost felt like Elk hunting.

Now we head North to an area that kept us out of the winds, sort of a cove with lots of willows and bogs. We tie of and step in.

Immediately we are game trail and there are fresh moose tracks. Dave gives me the thumbs up. (Zero talking) We move in further and Dave hears a cow, screaming her head off. He gestures maybe a big bull with her and we should go for it. Again, my feet say, ok. We then quietly move in and he literally almost fall into a bull moose rut hole. Tore to pieces. Of course I take a photo. It definitely had rut oder and this was getting good. We have to cross a ton of blow downs, and head upwards, she’s still screaming. Dave says we can kill this bull If he’s with her! Now we are practically on a quick pace walk and get within 75 yards of her. I’m searching for the bull, Dave’s searching for the bull and then she shows. Dave grunts, and my release is on the loop. Our steps the bull and….. too small. My feet say “ That sucked” Down we go and the boat ride in was reflections of lessons learned and another great day in the Yukon!

03-Oct-22

Some photos of the burn that almost wiped out Dave’s Fish Camp
Some photos of the burn that almost wiped out Dave’s Fish Camp

03-Oct-22
A hunt with this much action sounds like a blast!! Keep it coming!

03-Oct-22

Hiking the burn in the rubber boots. Fun!
Hiking the burn in the rubber boots. Fun!

03-Oct-22
You’re seeing more moose in the first couple days then many of us see in a couple years of hunting them. How awesome!

03-Oct-22

The “ Table Trophy”
The “ Table Trophy”

03-Oct-22
Loving the story! Thanks for taking us along. Great pics and keep the adventure coming!

03-Oct-22

Bull Rut Hole
Bull Rut Hole

03-Oct-22
Excellent recap Rich. Now for the grand finale……

03-Oct-22
I had to get off the phone and onto the computer for your pictures! Phenomenally good pictures of that country! Can tell you are having a blast by the smiles!

03-Oct-22
I’m sure a bloody arrow is coming shortly!

03-Oct-22
Thx guys… I’m doing this between flights so I don’t forget a thing.

03-Oct-22

Day 4: The weather looked bleak and we may get rained out, but shortly after breakfast, we quietly make our way to the “Old Wooden Boat” location. Dave really believes in this location and insists we give it another go. I get into my position and this time bend a few willows out of my way. I can shoot in four directions now. Dave waits a few minutes and keys out a cow call. Boom, a grunt sounds off, and another, and another. This could be my opportunity. I hear raking of a tree and Dave waves me back to the lake. I get into position and hear splashing of water, this moose is walking along the edge and will offer me a 15 yard shot. I draw and Dave calls me off, “ we can do better” This is bull number 5 and I’m loving it. I take a few pics and he head north again, super slow in the boat. The lake and wind is quiet and it’s perfect for moose hunting. We turn the corner towards camp and Dave spots a cow and calf lakeside, he’s been waiting to see this. We glass her for a few minutes to see if there is a bull around, and nothing. He turned the boat and spots a huge bull, easily 200 class heading north, who just came off the cow. With a rifle he was dead, but not with a bow. The bull ducks into the willows as we head way north in front of him. Since I’m in front, I jump out first and tie the boat off. I look over the edge and again the water looks shallow. I’m good, nope. My foot got sucked into the black mud and i filled my boot with water. I don’t say anything to Dave and we head in for the set up. Laying eyes on that size moose was incredible. As I’m standing there listening to Dave’s calls, I’m straining to hear a grunt. 5,10,15 mins go by and nothing. Ten more minutes and Dave signals, let’s move. My in-boot foot bath was working excellent on the way out. Squeaky clean foot! In the boat I go, just realizing that as hard as it is with a bow, I’m loving every second. I am in the Yukon, hunting moose! We slowly head back to camp for the mid day break and I spot a bull on the shore where the cow and calf where. It’s quite a ways and my eyes are straining through the 10x42’s. Dave rolls in ever so quietly. He gets his binoculars up and, small bull. Number 7, yes, number 7. He assures me that it’s a matter of time. I say, let the hunt happen, and if it’s meant to be, it will.

After lunch and a quick nap, we headed north towards the end of the lake again. Dave decided on the way we should stop and glass a good portion of the lake since winds are calm and we can hear everything. After an hour, we continue north to a incredible area where Dave traps. From the sign we found walking in, this place felt great. We immediately set up after leaving the boat and Dave begins a calling sequence. We have no luck so we go in deeper. Two small creek crossings and a swap ahead had us set up again. This area was perfect for a bow. I set up into a spruce tree and waited. We tried this spot for 30 mins with no luck. I could tell Dave was getting frustrated a little because he certainly has the skill set to call moose, and definitely knows moose. I reiterated that we just let the hunt happen. I felt extremely confident in my guide and his ability. We head south again to a area where Dave has a “ Shore Lunch” for his fish camp guests. I set up right next to the picnic tables. We have about 30 mins of shooting light. He stated calling and immediately a few grunts and I could hear trees breaking. I’m ready. The back and forth calls continue for 20 mins and then we hear a cow calling at the bull. Ugh! Man so close again. It’s now almost completely dark and we head to camp. At this point in the hunt, lots of thoughts rush through me. Should I have shot that first bull on day one or am I happy with my guide calling me off of it and telling me I can do better. Time will tell.

9/26 We headed to the “Boat” again, but the wind is wrong so we head a little lower on the river. I tie us off and Dave signals me into position. He started calling and could hear grunting in a distance. We wait. One minute or so later, I hear splashing in the water less than 40 yards, my bow is up once again and the release is on. The bull shows with another one and they are both very small racked bulks. They qualify as number 8&9 so far. I take some photos and watch their habits and they way they interacted with us. Their photos are below. We head south to 2 more locations with no luck, then back to camp for lunch.

That evening Dave decided the next day we are going to the Upper Tobally lake after we try the lower river. With a low River and log jamb, it ain’t going to be easy.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

Where I stood until dark at the “ Shore Lunch” location. This Bull was with a cow until dark.
Where I stood until dark at the “ Shore Lunch” location. This Bull was with a cow until dark.

03-Oct-22

Nope :)
Nope :)

03-Oct-22

Heading down, watching everywhere.
Heading down, watching everywhere.

03-Oct-22

Another one that Dave called up.
Another one that Dave called up.

03-Oct-22

Dave cutting the log jamb free so we can get through.
Dave cutting the log jamb free so we can get through.
9/27 We are up earlier today and head to the river in the twilight. Wind is wrong for the “Boat” so we head south for 4 different stops with no answers to calls or moose. Time to head back, pack up camp and head to the upper lake.

Once the boat is packed, we head out. Dave’s concern for one spot in the river that is way low and we have a chain saw on board to cut some logs he’s aware of already. This is where it gets interesting. We stop at Dave’s lower fish camp a load up on fuel. Not realizing it, he remove the can for the motor and fills it up, but when we pull away, around 1000 yards or so, the fuel line is sitting in water, sucking it into the engine. CRAP! we just floating now, loaded with all the food and gear. Did I mention Dave was a mechanic in the service? He pops out a tool box and a plastic cup and begins pumping the water out of the engine. After about ten minutes he gets her running bud we race back to the fish camp to get some additive. Dave dumps that in and we are off. Now we are the upper river where the log jam is. Dave dons his waders and chain saw and balances on top of the logs. As he cuts the logs, through the water, I hear the tire jam start creaking. I’m thinking holy hell, I’m going to loose my guide any second. That was not the case as all the cut logs floated away to allow us passage up river. After a mile or so, we come to the shallow water Dave handed me his left handed rifle ( I’m right handed) with a red dot “Aimpoint” scope on it and says, “Rich, follow the river, and meet me in about 15 minutes on the big curve. Use the gun if a grizzly comes at you. Perfect. Got it. Off I go, but before I leave, I took a quick photo of the boat loaded. I start my journey up a hill and about 50’ above river, keeping the river on my left. 15 minutes later, I meet up with Dave and we take off once again for the upper lake camp.

After we reach the mouth of the river, I see a breath taking view of the Yukon. I reach for my phone and it’s gone! ( You know exactly what I say here!) I panic and look everywhere. I’m immediately disgusted. All my moose trip photos gone. I could care less about all the other crap on it, my trip photos are gone. Dave blamed himself for the fuel incident, and I lost my phone…… or I thought. I habitually keep it in the upper zipper of the KUIU vest. I was so preoccupied with my walk with the left handed rifle, that I must have just slid it into the vest, without even putting it into the pocket or zipping it up. What a mistake. I let Dave know and he said we where going to hunt our way down river in the morning, and it would be no problem to see if it was on the sand bar where I started the walk.

In the afternoon we were able to hit a few lake areas during some intermittent light rain. All I was doing was replaying that last photo of the boat before the walk. It had to be there… I hoped.

03-Oct-22

Lol Darren. I want to bring it all to everyone.

03-Oct-22
great story!!!! keep coming!!!!

03-Oct-22

The last pic before the walk where the iPhone dumped out. Sickening really. It will be tethered next trip.
The last pic before the walk where the iPhone dumped out. Sickening really. It will be tethered next trip.

03-Oct-22

9/28 We woke to much cooler weather this am and started our journey down the river. The fog on the river made it difficult to navigate so we had to wait a bit after the first two calling sessions. It was crisp and quiet throughout the entire morning. Our slow, drifting efforts gave us 1 cow feeding on the bank who immediately took off when she spotted us. Once the boat was tied off, Dave suggested there may be a bull with her and we should give it try to piss him off. We tried, no luck. Continuing down river, we reach the spot I met Dave at after the walk the previous day. I suggest we both walk it out, 4 eyes are better than two. Now I’m on a damn IPhone hunt. Ridiculous mistake.

We take off and Dave asks me to stay put on top of the ridge above the river, he calls a few times and says he will continue and wants me to hunt. After 30 mins, Dave returns smiling and says he’s an IPhone guide now and hands me my phone. It was wet. Had full charge and worked perfectly. The morning was completed, then back to the cabin to make the afternoon plans. We put some mikes on in the afternoon at some amazing locations where a few previous 200” bulls where taken. Each stop looked fantastic and I could only hope a bull would answer at each one. My ears are straining to hear a faint grunt or a stick break. Nothing. The lake was like a mirror and the winds where calm, but with only one grunt at the “ Willow Flat” and no moose at all for the entire afternoon, the boat ride in was a quiet one. With two days left, I was preparing for a unfilled tag and Dave was planing on how to fill it. He can’t remember the last time one of his hunters went home empty handed. I remain vigilant in my quest and let the hunt just happen without adding pressure. I assure Dave I’m good mentally and asked him Not to give up on me. He said, never. I replied, it takes only seconds, we’ve got this! It is what it is and I have two days left.

He wants to go back to the lower lake. That’s the plan.

That means reload the boat, close the upper camp, I have to get out and now and hike to meet him. Dave has to wear waders and push the loaded boat through the shallow water. He doesn’t know quit…. And it is perfect with me.

03-Oct-22

Dave pushing the boat through the shallows so we can get back to the lower lake.
Dave pushing the boat through the shallows so we can get back to the lower lake.

03-Oct-22
I didn't catch the name of your outfitter (?). Enjoying the read!

03-Oct-22
This recap has been a long time coming! Don't drag it out too long, the suspense is tough to take!

03-Oct-22
Patience my friends.

It’s worth the wait.

I promise.

03-Oct-22
Always good to get the absolute most out of one of these kind of hunts! Savor every last moment…

03-Oct-22
I’m late but I’m anticipating !

03-Oct-22
So glad your mind can get off the iPhone and back to moose. Sux when it’s gone

03-Oct-22
Getting your and our moneys worth with this one!!!!

03-Oct-22

Ok here we go.

Remember, I said after this part is amazing.

Last Day, 9/30:

We opt for the river heading south. The winds are light, the air is cool and the boat quietly guides us to the “ Boat” location again.

This time, I set up closer to the waters edge, just in case a bull circles and he lack the water to investigate. Dave calls… and there’s a faint grunt. Arrow is knocked and he’s coming. Grunt, grunt, broken branches, grunt… and then the mammoth black body appears walking and grunting through the willows.

I’m at full draw but can’t make out his head gear. (I honestly held for over a minute and a half, thinking that the “ round ball” training had to have helped) If he goes left, I can pin wheel him at 16 yards, if he goes right, I’m screwed.

Yes, you guessed it, he goes right and he’s in my lap at 6 feet. I’m shaking, thinking he’s going to plow me over! This wasn’t good. I can see his rack and he is not a huge bull but this might hurt a little. My RN wife made me a compact first aid kit, including Tylenol and Advil. Might have to break them out.

My arms start to tremble from the hood and I’ve only got one choice, that’s to let down, Here goes nothing, I let down, and whirl left, he turns left and he is gone in a flash. We both go in opposite directions.

Dave’s looking at me and says, lesson number two Rich. He says, you have two choices in that situation, do what you did or step left or right and kill him… if he’s a good bull. Sometimes they do stay there. My mind is racing now.

He adds, “Of course it’s a 50/50 shot,”but at this stage of the game, I absorb the lesson.

Down the creek to a few openings, we call and all is quiet., the sandbar….. nothing. At the sandbar, there had been a cow, a calf and a bull there just recently, tracks where real fresh. I hear this bird going nuts and it’s almost sounds robotic. I ask Dave what they hell is that? It’s a Raven. The week prior to mine, the hunter wounded a very nice bull and the Raven is on it, letting the bears know what’s it is. Awesome. Where is that left handed rifle Dave? Unique to be in Black Bear and Grizzly country at the same time, first for me. You can imagine my head is on a swivel when we hit the timber the past week.

Now I ride the river out that has defeated me, the place where I passed that day one bull. But I’m still hunting and I’ve got most of the day to go. We head west on the lake.

We set up in a back end cove and Dave calls, nothing. We sit in quiet. I know what he’s thinking, You see, Dave has always killed, mostly all the time has offered a shot, and he’s obviously stumped. I reinforce that I’m good, let’s try another spot. He cranks the jet boat and it roars in the valley heading north. We reach the bottle neck and the willows are wrecked. New sign. We get out, I set up…..zip.

Now I’m thinking that is definitely the end of the morning. Not once have we gone past 10 am or so.

In the boat I go and be cranks her up again, full speed heading north. This effort by the guide has far surpassed any of my expectations at this time of day.

Continued:

The engine is roaring and we are making a racket but he has something in mind. We bank hard right, then left and right again through the connecting waterway to the end of the lake, then Moose! But a dink. We smile and he says hang on. I grip them sides and like a bullet we are gone, heading further north. We arrive below the burn, in a valley between two rock outcroppings. He winds her down and we are crawling. One turn, two turns and he spots a moose. It’s a cow and she is at the end of the lake. The vey end. As we approach, ever so slowly, the lake opens up to my view and I see a good bull.

Here is where is gets hairy. Dave reiterates that if that cow bolts, so does the bull, and I say got it. We are at 223 yards. He’s ranging with his binos and waiting the yardage. 196,182,160, 122…… he whispers, the gun is right there Rich, I adamantly say no. We have got this.

Then I hear a new call. Dave starts calf calling. There is a calf in front of the cow and the cow is not budging. 96, 81,73…… I’m still sitting down but have arrow 13 nocked. 60,54,49…. She is still looking at us, Dave is still calling and the bull is broadside.

Although I practiced at 60 all summer, those arrows where not all perfect, but they definitely made my 30 yarders easy, very easy.

40, now I range, the boat drifts left… NO!! Oh hell no!! Dave grabs the paddle, but ends up no needing it. I stand up, pull her back and anchor at 33. The perfect arrow has left my bow, tight to his front leg and I watch my fluorescent green nock bury in the black hide.

We pulled off the impossible and I’m shaking and Dave loudly says “ You drilled him”

The bull was 15 or 20 feet from shore and only made it 15 feet into the shore and tumbled over. The cow and calf quietly, walked away.

I sit down and say to myself, did this just happen? Dave starts the motor, gives me the thumbs up and we crawl to my moose, my Yukon Moose.

I’m asking myself how did he die so quick? Man that was super quick. 8-10 seconds at best.

We tie off and I walk over to him. I’ve taken his life and am truly grateful and humbled. Not in my wildest dreams would I have done any of these type of hunts if I didn’t live through the hunts of other Bowsiters.

Continued:

Dave didn’t had his field dressing equipment and game bags with him, so he says, let’s go get the bags, and a tarp and have a cup of coffee. 13 miles to the other end of the lake, what a ride.

We retrieved all the field dressing gear and arrived back at the site. I know it sounds cliche but these animals are huge, and a ton of work, literally. Again I think of Tylenol and Advil afterwards.

Before we begin the process and Dave reminds me about the bears again and shows me where the left handed rifle is. Great, left handed bolt action. Lol. He uses his chain saw to cut all around the moose so after we are done, the remains may attract a Grizzly or Black Bear for the next hunter.

We begin. It’s so warm that the flies and yellow jackets are around us, but are also having a hard time getting to us because of the wind. Oh and the wind, it not blowing towards the lake, it’s blowing towards the timber. Damn straight I’m nervous. Never done this before, but I’m alive and we are dressing and butchering my bull. I skin the back, Dave works the cape and then the process. Did I mention these animals are huge? The meat bags are heavy and we wonder if we are going to make it out of the cove. Once we are done, I look for my arrow and only find the fletched half in the water. The shot was a pass through but the arrow broke when the bull ran. There is now a Ironwilloutfitters S125 in the Yukon for some one to find. The broadhead hit a rib on the shot side, sliced the heart and broke a rib on the other. Perfect.

We loaded the boat and headed for the dock to off load my moose, the best ride on that lake ever. Dave and I didn’t speak the entire ride back. Once we got back to camp, I said thank you for not giving up on me. He said, that was not an option until it was over, and thanks for practicing,being in shape, and the pack out was perfect, 15 feet from the boat. Side note: Just like elk hunters, the work begins after you take the animal. Pack Tylenol and Advil.

HERE IS THE FINAL CHAPTER AND A MOST EPIC ENDING TO A MEMORABLE HUNT.

I got weathered in on my fly out day. We already made the trip to the fish camp when the call came in, no flying today at all. So back in the boat to head back to camp.

Dave is driving real slow and spots a cow at the “ Boat” Remember? The Boat location where that bull may have run me over?

We slowly head to her and see a calf and there he stood, majestic in all his glory, a World Class Yukon Moose, well over 200”. Long palms, 4 points on the fronts, velvet hanging off his right palm, pints, points, points.

I was awestruck. What a animal!!!!!! Dave grunts to him and he leaves the cow and responds, he’s coming right to the boat! Grunt, splash, grunt, splash, splash, grunt, head swaying now at 15 yards. (His photos are below)

After this encounter, flying over the Yukon, one can only imagine how many may roam the valley, swamps and mountains. Certainly, not many like him.

I have lived the dream and had seen a giant Yukon Moose, this hunt is complete. It’s time to head home and focus on my target whitetail in Illinois. This will be year 3. He may win again… but maybe not, it’s not over, until it’s over right?

Thank you all for the kind words, the messages and advice. It’s all part of my process, failures and success and wouldn’t want it any other way.

Have a great hunting season everyone.

Rich

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22
Awesome thanks for sharing your pictures and story. You had a great adventure!

03-Oct-22

Dave giving the thumbs up after the shot. The cow and calf are to the right walking away.
Dave giving the thumbs up after the shot. The cow and calf are to the right walking away.

03-Oct-22

Thank you Craig…

Dave clearing the area to attract bears. He never stops!

03-Oct-22

And here is my Yukon Bull Moose!

But stick around.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

Ironwilloutfitters damage.
Ironwilloutfitters damage.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

Here is the “ Boss”

Enjoy, I sure did and real close.

Thx for following the hunt.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22
Awesome recap Rich, I'm really happy for you. Congratulations and thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed that. I don't know how you top a trip like that, a dream hunt for sure.

03-Oct-22

03-Oct-22

Loaded
Loaded

03-Oct-22
Very nice! Congrats. Thanks for sharing your hunt here.

03-Oct-22
And ending worthy of one of the greatest threads in bowsight history there haven’t been any better

03-Oct-22
Awesome!! Congrats.. Great story.. One of the best!!

03-Oct-22

Moose tenderloin. Did I mention Dave is a excellent cook?
Moose tenderloin. Did I mention Dave is a excellent cook?

03-Oct-22

Waiting for the plane so we can load up.
Waiting for the plane so we can load up.

03-Oct-22

The End……..

Until the next one. :^) >>>————>

03-Oct-22
great hunt and recap, thanks for sharing.

curious if you saw any bears, black or grizz?

03-Oct-22
FANTASTIC!!!!

03-Oct-22
Great story and congrats on a fine moose.

03-Oct-22
Enjoyed following this from start to finish! Congratulations on a hunt well done and a fine moose. The memories will last a life time.

03-Oct-22
Simply awesome Rich. Congrats and so happy for you! Epic to say the least! You did a great job on the write up. As Bou said, one of the great stories of all time!

03-Oct-22

Saw plenty of these though.
Saw plenty of these though.
Ron, I didn’t see black or Grizz but plenty of sign for sure.

I have to admit, when you buy the moose tag you get two black bear and a Grizz tag as an added bonus.

Dave explained early on if I was to tag a moose, we would do our best to observe it for action.

Thx Kevin very much.

03-Oct-22
Congratulations Rich - really enjoyed the prep thread and this hunt recap. Appreciate you taking us along. Enjoy your success and good luck in IL.

03-Oct-22
Great hunt…great recap…Congrats.

03-Oct-22
Thanks for taking the time on the recap. Great job. Makes me want to go back to Alaska moose hunting again

03-Oct-22
Amazing! Congratulations Rich! That one on the way back is an absolute tank!!

03-Oct-22
Nice moose congrats.

03-Oct-22
Great recap and a beautiful trophy. Congrats !!

03-Oct-22
Great story Congratulations

03-Oct-22
You sure got every minute’s worth out of the hunt! Rich! I couldn’t be happier for you, buddy! IMO, not much else compares with getting to experience a big bull moose coming to your calls, and you got to experience that in spades! Thanks for taking us all along on this terrific adventure. Excellent storytelling and even better pictures! Congrats again, my friend!

You got the spot all picked out for the mount??

03-Oct-22
Well done Rich congrats!

03-Oct-22
Awesome recap. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

03-Oct-22
Great recap, thanks for taking us along. Congrats on a huge accomplishment!!

03-Oct-22
Congratulations Rich - really enjoyed the prep thread and this hunt recap. Appreciate you taking us along. Enjoy your success and good luck in IL.

03-Oct-22
Congratulations my Friend’

03-Oct-22
Very nice congrats!!

So did you shoot from the boat?? If so that’s even more impressive!! Thanks for the recap!!

03-Oct-22
Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime!!!

03-Oct-22
After reading this I feel like I just got back from a moose hunt! Fantastic story, thank you !

03-Oct-22
Spectacular! Way to get your money’s worth and soak it up till the last minute! Definitely a Hunt of a Lifetime! Congratulations! Well done!

04-Oct-22
That was a great ending! I bet you couldnt believe what had just happened. Way to go, what a awesome hunt!

04-Oct-22
Bowsite Rocks. Live for today.

04-Oct-22
Great hunt. One of the most thorough write ups ever. Way to stick it out and never give up. Congratulations!!

04-Oct-22
What a fun hunt

Happy for ya man,

Robb

04-Oct-22
Congratulations!!! Great story, dream hunt.

04-Oct-22

Hunt Man

Yes, I did shoot from the boat. Fortunately the water was calm!

Much appreciated fellas.

04-Oct-22
Great job on the hunt and the write up! Makes this a pretty valuable place.

04-Oct-22
Congrats on your success! Sounds like a great adventure!

04-Oct-22
Rich, congrats again on one hell of an adventure!!! you had tons of action with some highs and lows but in the end it worked out and you couldn't ask for better. Well done and way to SEND IT!!!!

04-Oct-22
how did you pack this all up and get everything home?

thanks

04-Oct-22
Great Recap, such a cool adventure!

Thanks for the great story and pics, nicely done!

04-Oct-22
That was absolutely fantastic! Congrats!

04-Oct-22
I'd say you got the maximum experience and sure got your money's worth! Great shot on a great bull! All of your hard work and preparation paid off in spades, congratulations!

04-Oct-22
Congrats Rich, way to get it done. Great moose and thanks for the write up.

04-Oct-22
Wow, awesome adventure congratulations!!

04-Oct-22
Congratulations on an epic trip and thanks for sharing it with us.

04-Oct-22
Absolutely epic! Congratulations on a beautiful bull and the experience of a lifetime!!!

04-Oct-22
Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to do a write up on your hunt.

04-Oct-22
Epic!!! Congratulations and thanks for taking us all along for the ride!

04-Oct-22
Amazing! All Moose hunts are a crazy adventure up north!’

04-Oct-22
Well done! Thanks for taking us along, and what a great bull!

04-Oct-22
Epic adventure! Great Yukon bull...congrats and thanks for taking us along!

04-Oct-22
What an incredible hunt, story and thread!!! Thanks for much for taking us along Rich and congratulations and not only the bull but a memory of a lifetime. They don't get any sweeter than last day success. So happy for you.

04-Oct-22
That was a great hunt and recap of it!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

04-Oct-22
Wow, absolutely amazing hunt! Congrats!

Great recap and pics and thanks so much for sharing with us!

04-Oct-22
Incredible! Thank you for sharing!

04-Oct-22

Last few various pics

My pleasure guys. I look forward to all your photos this coming season!!

04-Oct-22

Nature feeds nature.

04-Oct-22

Landing into the lake ahead.

04-Oct-22

04-Oct-22
Was this a Ceaser Lake Outfitters hunt....?

04-Oct-22

Loaded out

04-Oct-22

Cow running after becoming uncomfortable with us.

04-Oct-22

The “ Boot Foot Bath”

04-Oct-22

Dave loaded for bear.

04-Oct-22

Every edible piece has to be brought out.

What’s left turns into bear bait.

04-Oct-22
Enjoyed this very much! Congrats on the adventure and a terrific bull!

04-Oct-22
Absolutely fantastic adventure in a special place. Thanks for sharing. When are you headed back to the Yukon or NWT?

05-Oct-22
Posting every picture you took would be fine Rich!!!

05-Oct-22

James, looks like in “24”

Bou, I will do that for sure.

05-Oct-22

Loading some last photos.

Sun up the last morning.

05-Oct-22

One set up where I was tucked in as they walked by

05-Oct-22
I did neglect to mention the outfitter who was Cesar Lake Outfitters.

They have sold the area to Back Country and Beyond, Dustin Roe from BC.

I believe Joel from Cesar will be guiding with him along with the other 8 guides.

05-Oct-22
Awesome recap!! Thank you for sharing. Congrats on your Yukon Moose and epic hunt.

05-Oct-22
Great stuff! Congratulations and thanks for sharing with us

05-Oct-22
Congratulations! Thanks for the story and pictures, he sure will look good above a fireplace and the memories will pour back for you.

05-Oct-22
Fun trip!! Congrats!! And thanks for including us.

05-Oct-22
Rich, Thanks for taking the time to pull this together and post your adventure. Congrats on a great bull!

05-Oct-22
What a great read. Thanks for posting and taking us along.

05-Oct-22

A few last photos.

The Kuiu cover was critical to protect the string even though I had another with me.

05-Oct-22

Moose…

They are out there.

05-Oct-22

05-Oct-22

Ironwilloutfitters S125 Exit Wound
Ironwilloutfitters S125 Exit Wound

05-Oct-22

Totem Poles

Welcome to Vancouver.

05-Oct-22
Awesome stuff Rich! Congratulations on the hunt, the bull, and the memories. Thank you for sharing it all with us!

05-Oct-22
Truly great adventure Rich! Congrats and thank you for posting an old time Bowsite hunt trip thread!

05-Oct-22
Fun trip!! Congrats!! And thanks for including us.

06-Oct-22
Now that was awesome! Great recap and thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

06-Oct-22
What an ADVENTURE and thanks for taking us along!!

06-Oct-22
Incredible! Congrats on the bull and thanks for taking time to share!

09-Oct-22
What an adventure. Congrats!

09-Oct-22
WOW, now that was a trip of all trips! As has been said and repeated -- congratulations on an EPIC adventure.

09-Oct-22
Outstanding! Excellent write up and photos...thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats Rich!

09-Oct-22
Congratulations on a fine animal and thanks for sharing!!

09-Oct-22
Man, what a great bowhunting adventure. Awesome....

19-Oct-22

A memory for a lifetime.

Thank you all.

• Sitka Gear