Paul@thefort 07-Oct-22
BillyD 08-Oct-22
3darcher2 09-Oct-22
RK 09-Oct-22
Pyrannah 11-Oct-22
MPN 11-Oct-22
elkmtngear 11-Oct-22
06-Oct-22
Longtime follower - periodic contributor. Like many of you, I am quite appreciative of the stories, info, connections, etc. Bowsite provides. I recently returned from my second moose hunting trip to Newfoundland and thought I’d share the adventure. Will apologize in advance for likely screwing-up the pics, but imo they are the stars of this show. FYI, I hunted with Conne River Outfitters on their trophy/backcountry hunt package (9/25-10/1).

06-Oct-22
By way of background, my initial trip with Conne River was back in 2019 on a discounted mid-Oct hunt (the year ownership transitioned). Whereas, I did not harvest a moose, I felt the guides/team went above & beyond. We hunted hard, moved camps, etc. A combination of weather and waning rut activity limited the archery opportunities (rifles hunters fared well). Following are a few pics from that trip.

06-Oct-22
Post'em......

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
Decent way to start day-1
BillyD's embedded Photo
Decent way to start day-1

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
This curious stag came-in to 15 yards (from 250 yards across the bog).
BillyD's embedded Photo
This curious stag came-in to 15 yards (from 250 yards across the bog).

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
Big ole cow mooose
BillyD's embedded Photo
Big ole cow mooose

06-Oct-22
Fast forward to this Fall, I was excited to land in Gander with the what I hoped was the calendar on my side. Credit to AirCanada for this was the first trip (of my last 3 w/ them) that all my bags arrived - thankfully. I spent Sunday evening at the main lodge (Camp 8) getting my gear situated, chatting with some fine folks/hunters and a decent night’s rest before an early start.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
The Rock
BillyD's embedded Photo
The Rock

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
Followed Rich’s lead and grabbed an Everest (40) bow case. Appreciate the recommendation. Quite pleased with it.
BillyD's embedded Photo
Followed Rich’s lead and grabbed an Everest (40) bow case. Appreciate the recommendation. Quite pleased with it.

06-Oct-22
Thankfully we were able to get into the backcountry on Monday (by 6x6) and set-up spike camp before the remnants of Hurricane Fiona slowed us down the first couple days. We had a few “bog” issues on the way in, but given what we eventually had to deal with on the return, no big deal in hindsight.

The first evening we glassed-up a mature bull that was accompanied by a cow and what appeared to be last year’s calf. A trophy by every measure - poor wind/topography forced us to play-it cautious and focus our game plan on the following morning. Unfortunately Mother Nature had other ideas and we spent all of Tuesday and Wednesday morning fogged-in. As an aside, I’d often heard of the potential for extended tent-time in AK and/or Yukon due to weather. I certainly underestimated the possibility while hunting out east and vowed to be better prepared next go-round (maybe a book or two from Bowsite’s best seller list). Wednesday afternoon highlights included a young bull/cow walking through camp and glassing-up a couple bulls (not exactly what we were looking for) once the fog began to lift that afternoon.

06-Oct-22
Thursday morning arrived with a layer of frost and a breeze that had fortunately laid down a bit. Our spirits were lifted and, as if we didn’t miss a beat from a few evenings prior, the rising sun highlighted three familiar dark spots in the meadow below. The morning silence broke with “Billy-boy my buddy, would you look at the size of that bull?!” Game plan formulated, we drop-in from our elevated position as the moose work right-to-left approx 250 yards in-front of us. Goal is to take an angled approach (along the backside of the timber) and head them off at a relative pinch-point near the end of the meadow they were traversing. Seemed like a fantastic game plan (last range on the bull was 103 yards and closing) right up until the wind swirled and it was over in a heartbeat. Bowhunting.

06-Oct-22
Partially discouraged we retreat back-up to our vantage point and call periodically. We eventually peak the interest of a young bull that makes a commitment covering considerable ground in search of his cow. Once again the wind ends-up at our back and he thinks better of proceeding further. At this point, we discuss next steps and agree that a change of location is warranted. Rather swiftly we jump on the bike and head a few miles deeper toward the river.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
There is a moose somewhere down by the river
BillyD's embedded Photo
There is a moose somewhere down by the river
90-min or so later, we are situated atop a rock formation overlooking what imo is stunning moose habitat (highlighted by a river “Y” separated by a timber strip). A quick set of calls and within 10min we spot a bull moose on the far river edge. No question he is committed - just a matter of how long it takes him to get to us. By the time he crosses the second river we have dropped off the top and set-up down along a finger ridge. Just a matter of time now. We hear a few grunts and begin to see some trees moving. He was closing….and then he wasn’t. Opportunity foiled again by a tricky wind. So, here we go - the mental gymnastics lol. I tell myself to relax (it’s like 11am and we’re into moose), accept a bit of misfortune and focus on how to best string together positive opportunities.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
In actuality, no time for this as my guide says “a dandy just stepped-out across the river”. Same drill - different bull. We call and he starts filling the footprints of the first bull. Once he crosses the first river to the woods the guide takes initiative and leads me swiftly down the hillside to the grassy river edge. Candidly, I appreciated the aggressive approach. A few min later and a bunch of ground covered I am positioned along the river tucked discreetly into the treeline adjacent to the riverbed/grassy marsh. We stand patiently anticipating the bull to exit the timber at its mid-point. A few delicate minutes pass when the bull finally reveals himself. He’s majestic (noting I’m no expert, guessing 40” or 15+\- points as the Newfies score) and approaching us along the timber edge across the river. I allow myself to soak the moment in for a few seconds and then focus-up. Rangefinder says 156 yards. Another 15 yards closer and he is at the river’s edge. A soft cow call peaks his interest and he proceeds to enter the river. Neck deep he swims across (guessing 40 yards). As he steps up into the river bed he shakes himself off and, honestly, I cannot believe this scene is playing itself out in-front of me. 93 yards as I await his decision. 40-50 yards more to his left awaits an uncertain future. A stroll to the right and he enjoys the remainder of what has shaped-up to be an incredible day afield and likely many more given the remoteness of this location. Would anyone be surprised if he chooses the latter? Mildly disheartened I spend the hike back-up replaying/questioning the prior 30-min. What could I have done differently?….what would Forest and Charlie have done? How about Huntman & JTreeman….Kurt & KDill….BigPizzaMan & Bojangles? “Stay positive”….”no rearview mirror”….”toughen-up”. Heck, I’ve never even met most of you guys - but I am a believer that it is moments like these that the true benefits of Bowsite reveal themselves. Refocused, I turn-the-page and push forward.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
The balance of the afternoon has a few more moose sightings capped-off with an exceptional chili dinner and beautiful sunset completing an awesome day of moose hunting.

06-Oct-22
Friday morning has us perched atop another vantage point calling into the valley below. What seems like a promising morning scene - first light, calm wind and cooler temps ends-up mildly disappointing as our calls go unanswered. We decide to pack-up our spike camp and head towards main camp for a shower and game planning session for the afternoon hunt at one of the guide’s local spots. Back at camp we consult with one of the senior guides who suggests a spot he’d seen a couple of “nice ones” the week prior. Informed that it was a bit of an ATV trek to access we packed-up and headed-out. Couple hours later I find myself sitting on a mossy slope just above a classic Newfoundland bog surrounded by timber. My guide is situated on a rock knoll maybe 20-30 yards up/behind me. Wind is right-to-left generally across my face, mild but consistent.

06-Oct-22
First set of calls go unanswered. Second set of calls yield a grunt from the woods across the bog, followed by moving trees. Couple minutes later out steps a mature bull. 175 yards and a small bog-pond separates us. A cow call generates enough interest that he closes the distance toward the pond. His approach forces a decision. To the left of the pond his path will take him to a wooded corner (approx 125 yards from us)…to the right and he’ll come-in on a string to 40-60 yards. Our ‘luck’ holds and he decided to walk left of the pond. Less than ideal, but still possible with a good wind and proper stalk.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo
Analyzing next steps while he works his way to the corner I decide to make my move - only to be interrupted by some movement back in the timber where he originated. Briefly turning my attention to the woodline causes a quick double-take as another mature bull steps into the bog. The next few minutes repeat themselves as the second moose approaches the pond. Decision time. Thankfully he chooses right and continues his approach. 98 yards becomes 90…then 80….past my bush marker of 73 yards. I adjust my MBG 3-pin slider to 55 yards as he moves to 65 (best shot yardage guesstimate based on the bush marker and where my wind could possibly come into play). At this point I decide to stand-up and while I come to full draw/anchor the bull is inside 60 yards. “Third pin…pick a spot…and don’t forget to follow through”. Like any half decent midwestern whitetail hunter I throw-out the ole “MHHHP” to stop him (lol) and he’s now situated slightly quartering towards at ~55 yards, fortunately, with his front left hoof positioned forward (almost like he was planning to turn towards the right). Clear site picture, pin settled, I don’t recall the release but clearly see the arrow hit its mark. Bull wheels to head back from where he came and drops within 100 yards. What just happened?!?!

06-Oct-22
What immediately follows remains a bit foggy. Guide tackles me in a bear hug…hooting/hollering like two young boys… preset InReach message to my family (Animal Down!!), a quick prayer of thanks and an incredibly humbling walk-up to a fantastically beautiful beast. Picture time.

06-Oct-22
Great pics man!!

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
BillyD's embedded Photo

06-Oct-22
Probably a good a time as any to wrap this up and express my gratitude to each of you for reading this far. Yet, before we part ways, I wish to offer two quotes that where delivered to me by my father-in-law (a lifelong big game hunter from Michigan’s U.P.) and my guide at the outset of this trip. The first…..”the fun stops when the shooting stops!”……and “the adventure begins when the animal is down.” It took us approx 6.5 hours to get back to camp.

06-Oct-22

BillyD's embedded Photo
Way less than ideal!
BillyD's embedded Photo
Way less than ideal!
For those of you that have hunted The Rock I suspect it will resonate how difficult it can be to navigate its soggy ground and backcountry (bogs, swamps, etc). On this particular trip, the winch saved us no less than 7 times. Please remember, those on the other end of the iPhone/Garmin(s) desire us to have fun, make fond memories, and come home….not prove how tough we are. Be safe out there and enjoy the journey.

06-Oct-22
Congrats on a great trip and a beautiful bull!

06-Oct-22
Thanks for taking us along! Congrats!

07-Oct-22
Congrats and thanks for taking the time to tell the story and posting the pics.

07-Oct-22
Great Newfie bull. Very nice. Wow

07-Oct-22
Congrats on a great bull and glad you posted the story.

07-Oct-22
Great Newfie bull!! Congrats!

07-Oct-22
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. BillyD, What was your arrow weight / broadhead set up?

07-Oct-22
Thanks all - appreciate the comments & glad you enjoyed the read.

OTC - arrow (FMJ) weight of ~500gr w/ 125 SlickTrick Magnums. FYI, the shot was not a complete pass thru.

07-Oct-22
Wowser. You experienced the total Newfie package and got a P&Y Canadian Moose. Congrats. I’ve been fortunate to hunt quite a bit of North America but the “Rock” is unique in many ways. Enjoy.

07-Oct-22
Congrats on a great bull!

07-Oct-22
Enjoyed the tale! Congrats on a great bull and adventure!

07-Oct-22
Congrats!!!

07-Oct-22
Congrats on a great Bull!

07-Oct-22
Awesome congrats!

07-Oct-22
Congrats on a great trip and a great bull!

07-Oct-22
Congrats brother, hell of a Moose, and fun adventure.

—Jim

07-Oct-22
Great hunt recap and photos! Beautiful Newfie bull moose...well worth the wait! Congrats and thanks for taking us along!!!

07-Oct-22
Congratulations on an incredible adventure and thanks for sharing. Hopefully in a couple weeks I can share my adventure with Conne River! :)

07-Oct-22
You had me hooked with that first picture! Great pictures and storytelling. Enjoy your great trophy!

07-Oct-22
Congrats...I've been there 3 times and killed 2 bulls, rifle hunting though.

07-Oct-22
As others have said ---- congratulations on a great bull, also, nice write up and pics!

07-Oct-22
Great stuff Billy! Congrats man!

07-Oct-22
Congratulations and what a great write up!!

Now go kill something else and write about it

07-Oct-22
Congrats Billly!! That's awesome. What a great story. Benefits of hunting the rock for sure. More than one opportunity on a trip!

07-Oct-22
Great! Thanks for sharing. Had a trip with Conne last year at their Medonnix camp. Wonderful experience!

07-Oct-22
Great write up. Thank you for taking the time!! Congrats on a fine bull moose.

07-Oct-22
That's a great Newfoundland moose! Congratulations!

07-Oct-22
Excellent Newfie bull for sure! Well done all the way around! Great pictures and write up! What a spectacular experience!

Anyone who doesn’t want to make that trip after your story is not right in the head!

Congratulations!

07-Oct-22
Great story! Well told.

Congrats on a great NF bull! Thanks for sharing.

07-Oct-22
Congrats on a great moose!

Great pics and magnificent write ups, thanks so much for sharing your hunt with us!

07-Oct-22
Absolutely fantastic!

Congrats

07-Oct-22
Great recap and excellent trophy. Congrats !!

07-Oct-22
Awesome. Good for you. My trip to the rock was for a big black bear. I was not disappointed. Great place to bowhunt.

07-Oct-22
Outstanding hunt! Great Bull! Newfoundland, big rock with lots of water. Never step in a puddle if you can not see the bottom. We drank from running streams all week with no Ill affect. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

07-Oct-22
Billy, I really enjoyed that a lot. Sorry I was not there to help pack it out. :). Paul

08-Oct-22
Quite pleased to know you all enjoyed the recap - many thanks for taking the time to read and share your positive commentary. Enjoy your time afield this Fall and look forward to reading all about it hopefully here soon.

09-Oct-22
Just found your write up and joined here to comment. Excellent write up and congratulations. Been a lurker on here and frequent Rokslide and a few other sites but a goal of a future archery NF moose hunt and your story finally got me to register.

09-Oct-22
Awesome. Nice Bull. As nice as some of the Yukon BC bulls being taken

Great story. Congrats

11-Oct-22
WOW!!!! thank u for the recap!

i'm headed in 2025... can't wait!

11-Oct-22
Congrats! Thanks for taking the time to write it up! Enjoyed the recap.

11-Oct-22
Man, that was cool!

What a great adventure, Congrats!

• Sitka Gear