Green Chile 09-Oct-22
FORESTBOWS 09-Oct-22
Yellowcat53 09-Oct-22
drycreek 09-Oct-22
Dino 09-Oct-22
Zebrakiller 10-Oct-22
sleddogpa 29-Oct-22
07-Oct-22
Archery axis is on my bucket list. Does anyone have an outfitter/landowner in the TX panhandle that they would recommend. Would like a respectable buck but also able to take does for meat. THANKS.

07-Oct-22
Why the panhandle? I don’t know that there are many axis deer there. You want to look further South and East I would say. More like Junction, Kerrville, Uvalde. More down in the “hill country”.

I have a guy who is free range low fence over feeders, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you his info.

—jim

07-Oct-22
JTreeman-I would be interested in info on your Low fence, feeder contact. PM please. I did take one years ago.. Thanks.

07-Oct-22
Call the guys at Oasis Outback in Uvalde.

07-Oct-22
Axis don’t get that far north. Too cold. A pile of axis died off a couple years ago on the northern fringes in a cold snap. Lost a lot of axis all the way down to just north of San Antonio.

My family has a ranch between Sonora and Del Rio. It’s high fence and not very well set up for archery, but I’ve killed a few with my bow.

07-Oct-22
I mentioned the panhandle as a search said that’s where the highest population is located. I know very little about TX hunting as I’ve never hunted there. Thanks for the feedback.

07-Oct-22

yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
My wife and I hunted Texas for the first time back in May. We ended up hunting the Lazy CK Ranch about an hour west of San Antonio. A little pricey, but had a fantastic time. The people and accommodations were fantastic. Liked it so much we booked another hunt, this time in early February to get out of northern Illinois’ crappy weather. That hunt my wife shot a Dama Gazelle and a Blackbuck, and I shot a velvet Axis deer.

07-Oct-22
Crappy weather in February, I know what that’s about. My location is northern Michigan, 37 miles from UP. Thanks for the info, by the way, gorgeous buck.

07-Oct-22
Axis are kinda funny.

The rut usually peaks in June. So, they are flipped in the year from whitetails for when they have antlers. They are kind of mixed up though and can be at any stage of antler growth at any time of the year.

Most bucks will have dropped their antlers in December and start regrowing. Rare to see a hard horned axis in January to about May when they will start rubbing out…

There are definitely a lot of great exotic hunts close to San Antonio with amenities from zero to luxurious. Could combo with good bass fishing, saltwater fishing in Corpus, or just hanging out in San Antonio and loading up on great Tex-Mex food before you head back to that bland food country up north…

07-Oct-22
A lot of good info on this thread. Best time for a trophy buck is early to mid summer. Texas Hill country is a great place to hunt them. March can be really good for a velvet buck. Of course the high fence places can get you a trophy any time of the year.

09-Oct-22
I'm also interested in TX axis deer hunts. I'm in Ft Worth but can drop down south on weekends. Any additional recommendations?

09-Oct-22
Ive been 4 times for free range axis in Texas and have not got a arrow in one yet.

09-Oct-22
Me and the kiddos have taken several over 30” with bow and rifle. I like to hunt them over feed in March with a bow. I know that’s not for everyone but I I think it’s fun. I am fortunate to have a great low fence ranch to hunt them on . Unfortunately I have no recommendations other than to find a place and do it. They are beautiful animals.

09-Oct-22
Axis can be tough even with a rifle if they are pressured. They will get nocturnal like a hog. I’ve killed a few, but never with a bow. It’s grocery shopping to me, they are at the top of my list for table fare.

Go on the Texas Hunting Forum under the Exotic sub-forum and you will find a few outfitters to choose from. Good luck !

09-Oct-22
Another option is to head over to Australia ????…that’s my plan for next summer! Chital and pigs galore!

10-Oct-22
Axis are 1 awesome animal to go after with a bow

29-Oct-22

sleddogpa's embedded Photo
sleddogpa's embedded Photo
Diamond C is an excellent ranch to try for one. He has amazing numbers of great deer, but beware they are not easy critters to get on. When you do the rush can’t be described.

• Sitka Gear