Jaquomo 07-Oct-22
SteveB 07-Oct-22
t-roy 07-Oct-22
Catscratch 07-Oct-22
808bowhunter 08-Oct-22
Brijake 08-Oct-22
EmbryOklahoma 08-Oct-22
07-Oct-22
Sure do enjoy the hunting adventure threads on this site. Never have started one on my own but, with what I experienced this week, thought I would share. No pictures :( so it may not be that entertaining, but I'll try.

I have done a fair amount of bowhunting for Elk and have been fortunate to have taken a number. Took some years of understanding how to make it all come together, but have worked hard and finally gotten lucky on a somewhat regular basis. Having said that, I didn't get one last year and my wife and I both missed not having Elk in the freezer this past year. So when the opportunity on a small bull presented itself a few weeks ago, I was more than happy to take advantage of the gift. Great experience and always happy and feel blessed when I get any animal.

Then, earlier this week, I went out after work hoping to find a deer in a spot not far from where I live. Hiking in I glanced at the ridge top and spotted a herd of bedded Elk. I've hunted this place for many years but finding Elk there is a very occasional thing, so seeing them was a nice surprise. I do have a cow Elk tag in the area so, with the wind in my favor, I crept up to 60 yards from them in the timber. The wind started to settle to the point where you could hear a mouse fart at 200 yards, so I decided not to push any closer and risk bumping them. Besides, it appeared they might move my direction as the evening progressed. As they began to stir, a few of the cows looked down the ridge with some attention. Turns out a small group of moo cows was coming their way and nudged the Elk away from me. Darn critters! With them moving away I quickly, and as quietly as possible, followed up behind them. Managed to catch up to the herd as they were coming to open ground. But, the only Elk in range turned out to be a bull - and not just any bull, but a 300 class 6x6. A big, beautiful bull! The cows were too far and over a slight rise for any opportunity. All I could do was admire the bull as he raked his antlers in the scrub at 30 yards. Never have had that kind of opportunity before, but a great experience!

07-Oct-22
As if that wasn't enough, I went out last evening to a totally different area looking, again, for a deer. This is primarily a Whitetail spot, so I settled into my treestand and enjoyed a beautiful calm October evening. 45 minutes before the end of legal light, I caught movement in the timber 150 yards out. The color and size looked wrong for a deer and I thought it may be one of the moo cows that was in the area. But a check with my binos showed a herd of Elk coming in my direction! I have seen Elk here in the past but that can be a once a fall experience, if even that. I spotted a nice 6x6 in the back of the group of a dozen or so cows and calves. Not quite as big as the previous bull, likely in the 270" range, but a beautiful bull regardless. As they moved into some willows 50 yards from me, the bull suddenly chased one of the cows directly to me. She swung in front of my stand and ran into a small group of willows 15-18 yards from me. No chance for a shot with all the thick brush. The bull came in to 10 yards, head on, and stood for a few moments. I thought the wind might blow the experience as he stood and sniffed. But then he walked closer, and stood broadside at 3-5 yards from my stand for a solid 5 minutes. Never have I had a bull present himself like this before. I could see his individual eye lashes as he blinked. His smell rose up to me in my stand - the fantastic smell of a rutting bull Elk that I have loved since I stood by my first bull. From 10 feet over his head, the wild, musty smell of him enveloped me. Eventually the cow moved, which triggered him to run after her and push her back to the group. That was as close as I came to getting any opportunity at a cow, as the group moved past at 80 yards.

Twice in one week, two would be opportunities in areas I have hunted for over 20 years and never had experiences like that in either location. I was a little frustrated to not have a tag to take either bull and not have a chance at a cow, but, more so, struck by the fantastic experience of both encounters. That is one of the parts of hunting that makes it so encompassing. You never know what might happen.

07-Oct-22

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
It happens. My most memorable was Shiras moose in WY. Shot this bull on day six of my hunt. Best bull I had seen. Had a mule deer tag in my pocket, so I stuck around a few days. One evening, while glassing for mule deer, a huge 50"+ Shiras bull walked up to say hello! It figures....!

07-Oct-22
Great experience! I know the feeling...opening morning of gun season for WT last year, I shot a nice 8pt at first light and I was very happy to harvest this buck. Went back that afternoon to sit a stand while my son hunted the other end of our property, and a much larger 8pt sauntered by. This buck was one of the deer I was hoping we could kill last year and I haven't seen him since.

07-Oct-22

deerhunter72's embedded Photo
The one I got
The one I got
The one that walked on by. Both working the same scrape 1 night apart.
The one that walked on by. Both working the same scrape 1 night apart.

07-Oct-22
I bowhunted WY on a cow elk tag this year for a bit, and only had shots at bulls. Had a 340 class bull 30 yards in front of my waterhole treestand. Go figure.

07-Oct-22
So cool. Worth every minute even without a tag!

07-Oct-22

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Yeah, sometimes when it rains, it pours. Back in 2020, I had the most incredible year ever, for whitetails at home. I was tagged out on two B&C class bucks by October 26th, but still had doe tags, so I was still in a tree. Had this guy broadside to me at less than 20 yards for 20-30 seconds, and no buck tag. (I did end up tagging this buck the following year, though) I also had chip shot opportunities at 2 other B&C class bucks in 2020, but no tag. What an absolute blast that year was!

07-Oct-22
Wow t-roy, what a season!

08-Oct-22
Cool experience! I bought a black bear tag on an AK moose hunt this season. I figured it would be best way to insure I had no black bear encounters!

08-Oct-22
I like your thinking 808bowhunter!

08-Oct-22
Cool experience! I had something similar back in 2003 in central Colorado. I had an elk tag and on the third day, and after chasing elk around the mountains, I was eating lunch in a nice area of aspens. I caught movement to my right, and here comes a bachelor group of mule deer. It was as if they knew I didn’t have a tag. They single filed from 10-20 yards in front of me, the smallest first and the largest (easy 170’s) walked directly in front of me… at 15 yards. Never knew I was there. I’ve still never killed a muley. :)

• Sitka Gear