Moultrie Mobile
Any Mule Deer Outfitter Recommendations?
Mule Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Newbie 08-Oct-22
Newbie 08-Oct-22
Guardian hunter 08-Oct-22
Dale06 08-Oct-22
MathewsMan 08-Oct-22
Newbie 08-Oct-22
spike78 08-Oct-22
JL 08-Oct-22
Newbie 08-Oct-22
Glunt@work 09-Oct-22
TEmbry 09-Oct-22
Beav 09-Oct-22
08-Oct-22
I'm currently 20 and just started hunting whitetail. I'm already in love with it and am looking to branch out in terms of species. I know elk are pretty expensive, but are there any good mule deer outfitters in OTC units? I don't necessary care which state. Unfortunately I don't have any preference points in any state yet - I'll be working on that this off season. Does anyone have recommendations? Thank you!

08-Oct-22
Sorry, I don't know if it's implied, but I would like fair chase. I know there are affordable places with fences, but that's not my cup of tea. Thanks again!

08-Oct-22
Mule deer guided hunts rival prices of elk hunts. At 20 years old unless you are ahead of the game financially, I would not spend big bucks on this. Priorities.

08-Oct-22
If you want to branch out from white tails, take a look at Pronghorns. They’re reasonable in price and generally a pretty high success rate. Also an attractive trophy and good meat.

08-Oct-22
Colorado is all draw or landowner voucher purchase tags but many tags are pretty good odds if you start by gaining a preference point or two. Wyoming is also a great place for DIY stuff as long as you are not hunting wilderness areas that require guides.

08-Oct-22
Thank you all! I agree that pronghorns are probably definitely more reasonable, but with some more research, it's still out of my price range. I think I'll try a DIY.

08-Oct-22
I think you should get your feet wet and shoot a deer in your home state first. If you want the DYI adventure go to NJ, NY, or PA and shoot a deer out of state then go out west.

08-Oct-22
My two pennies.....there is a lot of public land to work out west in antelope and muley territory. DIY is the way to go. Definitely start collecting points next year so you can have a chance to draw with 1 or 2 points. I drew Montana lope with 0 points a year or so back. With a bow....you should have a great chance to draw on your first try and go DIY.

As a newer hunter....don't be afraid to ask questions....a lot of great info here on Bowsite that can help you out.

08-Oct-22
Thanks spike. I'm hunting in Ohio later this year and have some spots to work on this year. I'm planning on the trip out west sometime next year and is just as much about spending a few weeks in the outdoors as it is hunting. I'll try my luck DIY'ing antelope in Wyoming where it's $34 for a doe tag, that way I'm not spending too much outside the trip

09-Oct-22
Take advantage of your youth. Research a unit in CO with some country above 11,000' (timberline), strap on a backpack and go DIY the first week of season. 10-20 years from now, getting a tag, deer numbers, or other factors may make it harder. They already changed the dates and we lost some good early days before they strip velvet and start disappearing. You can draw all sorts of units with no points for archery tags.

Depending on the unit, you could have an elk and bear tag in your pocket as well.

09-Oct-22
Are you asking for outfitter recommendations as the title says or for suggestions of where to apply to go hunt DIY? Two totally different topics with totally different answers (and even different people who you should listen to their answers).

I was broke in college and asking for help to go out west hunting, I’m not bashing. Just want to be sure what specifically you are looking for so I can hopefully direct you to the right people. If a guided antelope hunt is out of your price range (been there so again not a judgement) then you won’t dream of a guided mule deer hunt. There are several places to hunt mule deer same year as applying or 1-2 years out, but they vary from low grasslands to 13k+ feet high alpine Colorado country. What interests you?

09-Oct-22
Check out Crago Ranch Hunts in South Dakota. Great country and lots of deer.

• Sitka Gear