Ucsdryder 08-Oct-22
Dale06 08-Oct-22
Newbie 08-Oct-22
Oryx35 09-Oct-22
Bob H in NH 09-Oct-22
Shb 09-Oct-22
Bob H in NH 09-Oct-22
08-Oct-22
I'd love to try a DIY antelope hunt in Wyoming. I just started with whitetail this year and already want to try a hunt out West. I'm not looking for anyone's hard earned spots, but I was wondering if anyone had tips or tricks to identifying good pronghorn spots. I know they are quite migratory and wasn't sure how to identify good units. I know it's a crap shoot finding units that have good public land access with few points. I was thinking about getting a doe tag for $34 and trying my luck with that first, since $300 is a lot to blow for me. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

08-Oct-22
Pronghorn with a bow ain't easy. If it's dry, water holes are the spot. While OnX is useful, BLM maps are more valuable.....no batteries needed. If you want to stalk, look for broken terrain. Use a hat with ears if you don't mind looking foolish. Pronghorn are attracted to foolish looking people.

08-Oct-22
Thanks Bandicooter! Honestly I'm mostly looking for a reason to camp out west. I'd love to get a pronghorn but I'll have fun stalking whether I'm successful or not. I'll definitely try the ear trick! In videos I've seen people use cut outs as well - I'll check to make sure they're legal.

08-Oct-22
Mytopo.com has great online Wyoming unit maps where you can easily see what' public land is available.

Use onx.

Buy points.

Pick a spot and Go rifle hunting for doe pronghorn. Drive a lot. There's land out there. Talk to ranchers. You could make a connection They don't care about pronghorns. Just don't look at their muley bucks.

Learn a lot gun hunting. Have a great time.

08-Oct-22
Mytopo.com has great online Wyoming unit maps where you can easily see what' public land is available.

Use onx.

Buy points.

Pick a spot and Go rifle hunting for doe pronghorn. Drive a lot. There's land out there. Talk to ranchers. You could make a connection They don't care about pronghorns. Just don't look at their muley bucks.

Learn a lot gun hunting. Have a great time.

08-Oct-22
I'd say a pronghorn with a bow is about as doable as any animal with a bow. With that said I hunted them lots of days this year and didn't kill one but almost every year I do.

When I say that, that is if you are willing to sit in a blind day after day from before sunrise until dark.

If you will do that. Find a waterhole. At least here that is almost always a windmill with a tank and/or a small pond. Find one that is on, with antelope in the area, also with as little additional water in the area as possible. Hope it is dry and no rain.

If you don't find intel before you go, spend your first day driving around looking for the above. I think you maybe able to find a map with them marked. Not all will have water. Also I have found lopes are easier to get permission to hunt private than deer or elk. If you stop and ask for permission don't act like you are from CT. Most ranchers don't think much of that part of the country.

08-Oct-22
I’d rather not kill an antelope than sit in a blind sweating my ass off for 15 hours a day. Some things are better done with a boom stick!

08-Oct-22
I’ve arrowed three prong horns from blinds. Got in the blind before sun up. Killed first one 3pm on day 2, second one 8 am day three, third one 4 pm on day 2. And I went on another three day hunt, dark to dark and never come close to getting a shot. All day blind sits are tough. Take food and drinks. Take books, and radio head phones.

08-Oct-22
Thanks all! I think I'll opt for a rifle hunt on this one. From what I've seen, I should try to be comfortable shooting 300 yards. I'll take any excuse to get a nice rifle!

09-Oct-22
But a 2022 preference point. You have until the end of the month.

09-Oct-22
Doe tag and rifle is a good idea. Fi d public land, get the doe tag, go late in the season after they e settles down from opening week.

Glass, sneak repeat until you get your hit

Learned to tell doe from buck, not always the horns. Need to look for black cheek patch of bucks

09-Oct-22
Doe tags are harder to draw than bucks.

Probably take 5 years or more to draw a tag.

The world has changed.

09-Oct-22
Depends on area

• Sitka Gear