bigeasygator 19-Oct-22
bigeasygator 19-Oct-22
bigeasygator 19-Oct-22
deerhunter72 19-Oct-22
Ron Niziolek 19-Oct-22
sticksender 19-Oct-22
Bou'bound 19-Oct-22
09-Oct-22
After returning from a Coues deer hunt in Mexico in January, my mind shifted gears and I started thinking about my 2022 hunting plans in earnest. I did not have anything booked, and had a few options floating around. After giving it some more thought and listening to the advice of some others whom I respect, I decided on a return trip north of the border for moose.

09-Oct-22

bigeasygator's embedded Photo
A pic from my first moose hunt on The Rock in 2016
A pic from my first moose hunt on The Rock in 2016
My first moose hunt in Newfoundland left me with lots of pictures, some great memories, but an unpunched tag. This time I settled on northern British Columbia, hoping one of those Alaskan-Yukon moose might get lost and wander my way. I was booked for a 10-day hunt with Scott Mackenzie and Big Time Hunts.

09-Oct-22

At my hotel in Whitehorse. We’ve heard of imperial units and metric units…but apparently they use caribou units in Canada!
At my hotel in Whitehorse. We’ve heard of imperial units and metric units…but apparently they use caribou units in Canada!
I traveled to Whitehorse, YK on September 25th. I was scheduled to fly out via float plane on the 27th, and wanted to leave a day in between in case of any travel issues. I landed in Whitehorse as planned, but my bow and hunting clothes were left behind in Vancouver. Good thing I left the extra time, as they showed up on the next flight into Whitehorse.

09-Oct-22

:-(
:-(
I had a day to kill in Whitehorse, which was a little tough to do as a lot of the museums and stores were closed on Monday. I tried to hit the Klondike Salmon and Rib as well per recommendations…but alas it was closed to! I had dinner at the Dirty Northern with another hunter hunting with BTH…highly recommend the spot if you’re killing time in Whitehorse!

09-Oct-22
Alright Jason. Subscribed buddy.

I got weathered in, so I lost a day and didn’t have time explore but the bar at the Best Western was a hoot. Wish I had more time to explore.

Let hear it!

09-Oct-22

The next day the weather broke clear and calm and we’d be flying into camp.

09-Oct-22

Spot the moose!

09-Oct-22

I was the first to be dropped off after a smooth flight, and I was able to get my gear arranged and check that my bow was still dialed. This would be home for the next 10 days.

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22

The first spot we setup and called - a small outcropping surrounded by lots of meadow.
The first spot we setup and called - a small outcropping surrounded by lots of meadow.
The 28th was my first full day in camp, and we got after the hunting that morning. The camp is set up between two big lakes, and we spent our day hitting the lake to the south. We bounced around a few different spots via the boat, easing into a spot, calling and taking for a bit, and hoping we would be answered by a bull. Despite a few “moose-y” looking setups, we got nothing. It was a calm day and calls traveled far, but temps were warm and my guide Bobby had commented how the warm weather seemed to have the moose not quite fired up as they normally would be. That evening we did manage to bump a cow and a calf, but no bulls were spotted.

09-Oct-22
The next morning we returned to one of the same spots we sat the night before, hopeful that a bull might have showed up and stuck around after our calling. No such luck. After sitting for a few hours, we got up did a bit of exploring and breaking some trail in the area, managing to bump a cow, calf, and small, young bull at a small lake that we bushwhacked to. First bull of the trip! We returned to camp for lunch and some rest in the mid-day heat, something we did every day. As the temps were nearly 60*F - almost unheard of for this time of year - we both felt the downtime was the best use of our time, particularly this early in the hunt.

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22

That afternoon, Scott, the outfitter, flew in and reloaded us with some beer and dropped off Bobby’s dog, Cali. If you read Shug’s write up from last year, you might remember she played a starring role. Both Scott and Bobby asked if I was ok with the dog tagging along. I figure after the stern talk Shug gave her last year she had probably learned her lesson. So it would be the three of us for the rest of the hunt.

09-Oct-22

The view from camp.
The view from camp.
That evening hunt was quiet, but we did have a small bull and cow show up across the lake from camp that evening right before dark. There wasn’t much light, and we both weren’t ready to make the effort on a bull of that caliber. But it was the first bull with paddles…so hopefully things were trending in the right direction!

09-Oct-22
The next day was a bit rainy and wet, and we tried to forge some trail into a smaller lake that hadn’t been hunted. It ended up being a bit more than we bargained for in terms of vegetation and terrain, and about halfway to the lake we pulled the plug on the venture! We did manage to find a pretty wicked deadhead that was buried.

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22
Always up for a good moose hunting story….Bring it on!

09-Oct-22
That evening the rain picked up. We toughed out a sit and we’re rewarded with all of nada despite Bobby’s heartfelt calling!

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22

The next day the wind blew, and boat travel would be unsafe and calling wouldn’t be much use either. My guess is it kept the animals stationary - as that’s certainly what it did to us. We used the day to rest up and recharge in camp.

09-Oct-22
We had a feeling that the animals would be active after the wind passed, and we were up early to ensure we were in a spot ready for first light. We chose to go back to one of the very first spots we hit, the little rocky outcrop surrounded by lots of meadow at the very southern end of the big lake to the south.

09-Oct-22
We set up and Bobby’s first call is immediately answered by a bull’s grunt about 200 yards away. He bails off the outcrop and starts to set up about 60 yards behind me off the outcropping in some of the marshy grass and I nock an arrow and await what comes.

09-Oct-22
The bull plays the part. I catch a glimpse and see he’s not one of the monsters the area can produce, but he’s got paddles and he “looks like a moose” - which was really my personal benchmark for the hunt. The bull works his way to Bobby’s calling, stopping to rake every little tree, brush, and bush along the way.

09-Oct-22
I had lots of time to look and think him over as he was slow - but deliberate - on coming in. I went back and forth - do I hold out for something bigger? The forecast shows more warm weather - what if this is it? We do have five more days to hunt, surely we can find another…but what if we can’t. Don’t pass on the ____ day what you’d shoot on the last. In short, all the thoughts were racing through my head.

09-Oct-22
In the end, he passed in front of me at 50, swung around the outcropping to my left, cleared the tree I was using for cover, and stood perfectly broadside at 40 yards in the wide open.

09-Oct-22

The bull came out of the circled area. I was tucked behind the tree you can see on the left. That path took him 50 yards from me.
The bull came out of the circled area. I was tucked behind the tree you can see on the left. That path took him 50 yards from me.
Once he cleared the tree he was broadside in the open at ~40 yards. Bobby would have been setup just off camera to the left.
Once he cleared the tree he was broadside in the open at ~40 yards. Bobby would have been setup just off camera to the left.

09-Oct-22
I couldn’t resist.

The arrow was on its way and found its home. It was a touch back of where I would’ve preferred, but I definitely wanted to stay off the shoulder. I knew it was right in that lung/diaphragm/liver area and was a fatal shot. He ran a bit forward after the shot, but Bobby’s cow calls got him to freeze one more time in that 40 yard range, so I sent another arrow that connected. This one was back further, but I wasn’t worried. I knew the first one was fatal and then it became a matter of putting the animal down as quick as possible.

09-Oct-22

We were all smiles once the moose went down
We were all smiles once the moose went down
At the second shot, he turned back and ran off into the meadow about 100 yards, stopped and looked back to figure out what happened, then made a bed and died.

09-Oct-22
We gave him some time just to be safe by going back to camp and gathering supplies for the butchering. After an hour or so we were back and walking up on this dinosaur.

09-Oct-22
And we'll be right back after this commercial. Shame on you but you got us all hooked.. Any bowhunt is fun & an adventure.

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22
It can be a bit of a difficult decision to send an arrow on a hunt like this, knowing the opportunity you’re paying for and the caliber of animal that can be in the area. In the end, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder and as long as an animal is what you want and what you’re happy with, that’s all that matters. And I couldn’t be happier.

09-Oct-22

Cali was laying right behind me when I shot. Shug’s “coaching” must’ve paid off :-)
Cali was laying right behind me when I shot. Shug’s “coaching” must’ve paid off :-)
We managed a few trophy photos and then got to work on getting him back to camp.

09-Oct-22

Did I mention moose are huge?!?

09-Oct-22

The clump of trees in the middle of the photo is where I was when I shot.
The clump of trees in the middle of the photo is where I was when I shot.
He died in a rather nice spot, as we were able to get the boat about 100 yards from where he died. It was a short drag/haul through some easy terrain to the boat. Two boatloads later and he was home and hanging in camp.

09-Oct-22

We celebrated that night with some moose tenderloin, KD, and Labatt’s. Not sure it gets any more Canadian than that!!

09-Oct-22
With a few days to kill, we spent the time organizing camp, caring for the meat, fishing, cooking, and just enjoying the serene setting. One that I hope to return to one day after not to long…

09-Oct-22

09-Oct-22

Fried lake trout. It was as good as it looks!
Fried lake trout. It was as good as it looks!

09-Oct-22

Moose ribs over the fire one night.

09-Oct-22

The scenery and sunsets were spectacular.

09-Oct-22

We had an incredibly bright full moon at the end of the week. This photo was taken around midnight!
We had an incredibly bright full moon at the end of the week. This photo was taken around midnight!

09-Oct-22

Many thanks to the outfitter Scott and Jodi McKenzie and my guide Bobby Milligan for another once-in-a-lifetime adventure!

09-Oct-22
I’ll post some other photos over the next few days. Thanks for reading along and happy to answer any questions!

BEG

09-Oct-22
Strong work!! Great photos .

09-Oct-22
Awesome! Thank you!

09-Oct-22
Congratulations Looks like a great trip.Any bow kill is great

09-Oct-22
Quite an adventure Jason! Congrats on the bull and thanks for sharing!

09-Oct-22
Awesome hunt and write up

Sounds like a great adventure!!

Let us know how getting the meat home worked out

09-Oct-22
Shooting your bull in a convenient location and a boat for transport makes for a more enjoyable pack out. Lots of good eating for the next year too!

09-Oct-22
That’ll do!!

09-Oct-22
Congratulations great write up and I’m glad I was able to teach callee some manners

10-Oct-22
Great read.

10-Oct-22
Congratulations, thanks for sharing

10-Oct-22
Congrats again, bud!

10-Oct-22
Nice BC Moose, great pics and story...Congrats, BEG !

10-Oct-22
Congrats and thanks for sharing! Love a good moose hunt….

10-Oct-22
Congratulations my Man!! This post and a Saints win yesterday have me in a good Monday morning mood!!

10-Oct-22
Congratulations Sir!! What a great hunt and nice write up! Thanks for sharing!

10-Oct-22
Hey Jake, that made my day so thanks for that. Nicely done by all. Paul

PS, I do feel a little muscle strain per the pack out, after reading that.

10-Oct-22
All smiles! Way to go Jason.

Congrats!

10-Oct-22
Another great moose write-up // adventure with beautiful pics as a bonus. Congratulations.

10-Oct-22
Congrats Jason!

10-Oct-22
Congrats on a great moose!

Excellent write up and pics, thanks for sharing with us!

10-Oct-22
Congrats. I am familiar with that spot

10-Oct-22
Congrats Jason!!! Great pictures and story.

10-Oct-22
Congrats man! BC is a beautiful place!

10-Oct-22
Great job. Thanks for sharing.

10-Oct-22
Congrats!!! You make the right decision. Nice bull

10-Oct-22
Awesome! I hope to experience that one day

10-Oct-22
Congratulations! Great adventure from start to finish! Well done!

10-Oct-22
Congrats on an awesome hunt!!!

11-Oct-22
Thanks everyone!

Ned, I know you do. Thanks for all the tips/guidance ahead of the trip!

Shug, every time she threatened misbehaving I told her I was gonna call you over and she quickly straightened up!

Bigpizzaman, first drink is on me next time we get together...but I'll let you buy the second!

RK, the coolers worked beautifully. I ended up bringing about 100 lbs of meat home which is plenty for me (the wife doesn't really eat game meat, and my freezers were pretty full already!). The "fish bag" (aka the big white cooler) is the ticket, and I could have fit all the meat I brought back in it (and probably some more if I wanted to honestly). I was able to get a good freeze on the meat before I left, and when I got home after about 18 hours of travel it was all still pretty much rock hard. I know another bowsiter also took one on his moose hunt after he saw mine and said it worked great for him as well. For clarity, I checked three bags (the two coolers and by Sitka Nomad), and had to pay ~$100 USD for the third bag. I could have had one cooler, but still would have paid the overweight fee for the cooler if I did so it would have cost me the same. Like I said, I think I could've easily gotten 100-150 lbs of meat in the white cooler. It was only about 1/3 full with 50 lbs.

11-Oct-22
You are a badass J! Congrats

11-Oct-22
Great adventure. Thanks for the report and congrats on your bull!

11-Oct-22
CONGRATULATIONS! Great adventure and animal. Thanks for "bringing us" along.

11-Oct-22
Great write up and pics, BEG!! Congrats on the bull, as well!

Any unique tactics employed on this hunt, to bring the bulls into shooting range? I would guess the Treeman Hop or Sheridan Shove probably would not be effective on bigger cervids.

11-Oct-22
Good work! Congrats…

11-Oct-22
Congratulations! Moose hunting is fun!!!

11-Oct-22
Nice pics and write up. Enjoy

12-Oct-22
Congrats again!

12-Oct-22
Congrats again brother. Way to get it done!

—jim

19-Oct-22
Any unique tactics employed on this hunt, to bring the bulls into shooting range? I would guess the Treeman Hop or Sheridan Shove probably would not be effective on bigger cervids.

We tried the "BC Bounce," t-roy. However, it proved far less effective than the Sheridan Shove and the Treeman Hop. Maybe if those moose lived on Kodiak.

And thanks again for all the congrats!

19-Oct-22

Thought I’d add a few more random photos.

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22
Great hunt and a great write up! Thanks for taking us along. Congratulations!

19-Oct-22
Good stuff Jason. Congrats!!

19-Oct-22
Great hunt & pics….thanks for the report and congrats on your success.

19-Oct-22
Spectacular

• Sitka Gear