WV Mountaineer 15-Oct-22
KsRancher 15-Oct-22
Matt 15-Oct-22
HDE 16-Oct-22
Corax_latrans 16-Oct-22
12-Oct-22

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
If someone could look up the video and attach the link, it is certainly an interesting encounter.

13-Oct-22
Thats a dead cat if I have the gun

13-Oct-22
Here's the video

13-Oct-22
Female with cubs nearby is my guess, trying to get the guy to move on!

13-Oct-22
Were those warning shots or just misses? Either way, YIKES!!!

13-Oct-22
he would've have been better off with spray. :)

13-Oct-22
He would be much better off shooting with two hands on the gun...

13-Oct-22
Yeah, screw the video................I’m shooting with both hands!

13-Oct-22
Wonder if he would have still been videoing as the cat was on him?! Not smart.

13-Oct-22
It might be easier said than done but, I feel like holding your ground is a better idea than backing away and certainly better than running. I just feel like that cat gained confidence as the guy backed away. What do you guys say? Hold your ground or slowly back away? Really curious in case I am ever in this situation. Is your answer different between mt lion, wild dog, and a black bear?

13-Oct-22
Yup, put the damn camera down, and draw a bead for Christ's sake! That encounter could have gotten ugly fast if he would have wounded the cat.

Matt

13-Oct-22
Holy smokes! I think I would've been shooting much sooner and with both hands on the gun. Scary cool video, but screw that! I wouldn't have been playing with my phone.

13-Oct-22
I've also read numerous times that you should try to intimidate an advancing cat by raising your arms to appear as big as possible, and hold your ground. Backing away, or running away, only emboldens them more. I don't have any personal experience to know if that's true, or not, and I hope I never have to find out.

Matt

13-Oct-22
I'd say misses!

13-Oct-22
I think he missed.

13-Oct-22
I really didn’t need to see that!….

13-Oct-22
When adrenaline hits you if you are not trained you have no idea how you are going to react. He was pumped full. Got to say, videoing was just stupid but he is getting his views now.

13-Oct-22
Having the situation on video could’ve proved to be good in case he killed the lion to prove his self defense

13-Oct-22
Looks like a female. And I been shooting earlier I think

13-Oct-22
Definitely misses, not controlled warning shots. Very close too, unless he had time to put his phone on telephoto. Small cat, but capable of doing a lot of damage.

13-Oct-22
#1 - I don’t think that I’d be reaching for my phone, let alone taking my eyes off the cat to open up the camera and put it in video mode. I don’t think it’s an all bad idea to carry both spray and a handgun. IF you’re actually good with it. So spray in one hand and pistol in the other… doesn’t leave much for videography….

#2 - His chance for a warning shot was when there was that open area. No obstructions. But maybe a face full of sand (or pepper spray) would have helped make the point??

#3 - if 1 warning shot isn’t enough to end the encounter, there’s no sense wasting ammo.

He must’ve missed the first time. Too close to the head to not be more decisive, wouldn’t you think? Not so sure about the second. At that point, the cat looked a LOT less interested in pressing the issue. Not good for your case if he hadn’t hit it once already . Don’t much care for the idea of leaving a wounded lion out there, though, so how do you/how are you obligated to follow up.

And I think yeah, stand your ground. No sense encouraging them. Better to pick a spot with level ground and nothing to trip over.

And FWIW…. Given the effective range of a handgun? If someone bags a lion with a defensive carry pistol, I can’t really imagine anyone seriously questioning whether there was an imminent threat to human life/health. Especially if the path of the bullet(s) is consistent with a defensive shooting. Like a quartering-on to head-on angle.

Maybe the smart move is to drop arrows out of your quiver as you retreat….

14-Oct-22
I didn’t listen to the audio, was he telling the cat “You better stop because I am filming you.”?

14-Oct-22
Thanks for posting the link. I think he tried to hit the cat with the first shot and missed. The 2nd shot seems out of exasperation. Terrible shot, and the guy clearly was in terrible shape. Imagine how dangerous he would have been to bystanders if he were trying to end an active shooter situation.

14-Oct-22
We seemingly have these types of video reports on the local news weekly here in Utah.

In people's back yards even in town/Salt Lake City.

For $30 ressy and Non-Ressy they have a Spot-n-Stalk Mnt. Lion tag, no hounds ect, so I carry my 10mm on most every hike I go on anymore.

The tag is valid from July 1st thru the year till June 30th of the next year.

Good luck, Robb

14-Oct-22
Another one spotted in Iowa this week...

14-Oct-22
Here's the Iowa Mtn Lion video

14-Oct-22
Nick he should have shot with his bow instead of his video camera lol

14-Oct-22
Definitely a smaller cat. Probably first year away from momma. Yell, look big, don’t back away, set your form, front sight, squeeze…

Although a cool video, this guy is damn lucky he did not get a lot closer video for someone else to be putting up on the internet. Millennials growing up with a super-computer phone in their hand at all times certainly seem to have lost a lot of brain function…

14-Oct-22
t-roy..................how are those walks in to your stand in the pre-dawn mornings going? Or are you waiting til it gets light? ;-)

14-Oct-22
Rut….I’ll let you know….if I ever get a chance to go! :-(

Been totally swamped with work, and haven’t had a chance to get out yet. Might get a couple of chances to get out before November 1st, but then, look out kitty!

14-Oct-22
Meow!!!

14-Oct-22
T-Roy’s lion is knawing out tooth picks. As we speak.

14-Oct-22
Ok- good luck!

14-Oct-22
I haven't seen a cougar that aggressive since college.

14-Oct-22
Yup. I would have been squeezing the trigger a tad bit sooner as my nerves of steel or more like tin these days!

14-Oct-22
Seriously. I’d charged the lion. Do black bears like that all the time. I see one nearly every time I go in the woods. Or, in my yard. Take your pick.

If he didn’t run, I’d would have pounced on him. I keep reading all these sissy replies and instead of telling me how bad that lion is: You’d better tell that lion about me.

Yep, that is how I’d handled that lion.

14-Oct-22
I was going to stand my ground if in this situation but, WV just might have a better idea to consider. Hmm

14-Oct-22
My man.

14-Oct-22
I thought I heard somewhere that you can shoot them in Iowa??

14-Oct-22
Here is a short story I posted on another site many years ago. I think in hindsight it was a female that may have had some kittens nearby.

I was scouting for Whitetails and looking for matches to some of the shed antlers I had already found this spring. I had been out for about an hour and a half that afternoon and was systematically working my way along the edge of a pasture about 25-30 yds. in the woods. I had just climbed onto a good-looking bench and saw a deer trail which I turned on, taking me deeper into the trees. I went another 20 yds. or so then glanced back down in the direction I came from off to my left side. I caught a motion out of the corner of my right eye. When I looked that way, there in front of me 20 feet away sat a Mountain Lion! I reached back to a side pocket on my fanny pack to get my camera to try to get its picture. I thought it would turn and run off at any moment, as with most other critters.

As soon as the shutter clicked the cat crouched down and started approaching me. I thought, "wait a minute, what's going on here"! I had an empty can of a high-energy malt drink I had just finished; I threw it and caught the Cougar right on the end of the nose. (Right up there with one of my better instinctive shots) It hesitated for a second sniffed the can and ground a bit then came at me again. I raised my arms and started yelling at it while walking backwards. I tripped on something and went down on my back, but was up again in record time grabbing a stick on the way. I threw this at it too. It kept coming. I reached back and got my Leatherman tool out and fumbled with the knife blade as I slowly kept walking back while watching the lion. I gained some ground as it was sniffing a bit where I was walking. I got to the edge of the trees and looked back into the pasture. When I turned back I could not see the Cougar anymore and stopped to look and listen, nothing. I thought of making my way along the edge of the bush back to my car. Then I decided to cut across the safer open pasture and just get out of there.

All this took place in perhaps 2-3 mins.

Back home later I called Fish and Wildlife to report the incident. I was told by an officer they figure there are as many as five Cougars living in that area. He said I did the right thing in slowly backing out of there. I wondered about what would have happened if some young kid had been in my place. I also wonder how many times I've been watched by a Cougar and not known it.

This happened in the Calgary Bow Zone not 10 minutes from the city limits!

Currently there is no Cougar hunting allowed in the Bow Zone. There have been numerous accounts of dogs being killed and dragged off. Also livestock. A few years back a landowner and myself discovered a yearling Whitetail that was killed by a Mountain Lion and covered in leaves and brush not far from where I had my encounter.

This is only to make you aware of other predators out there and one doesn't have to be in the Mountains to come across a Cougar. Let's be careful out there.

14-Oct-22
Not saying I could have done any better with my aim under the circumstances but I'd dang sure what both hands on the weapon. Heck with filming.

14-Oct-22
I don’t think I would have filmed it either. Besides that, I think he handled it as well as he thought he could at the moment. I also don’t think he was trying to hit it actually. Just shot as it started it’s charge probably to either somehow hit it or scare it. Same with the second shot.

14-Oct-22
So really…

What it comes down to is whether you want to have a story to tell, or if you want to BE the story, complete with live action video of your demise.

Pretty sure I know which one I would choose. Guess I’d better go get that pistol permit ;)

15-Oct-22
That cat was serious

15-Oct-22
Thanks for the post Gun. Sounds like this happens every now and then. Guy needs to be prepared.

15-Oct-22
I think that fastflight's question regarding if your response would be different depending on the animal involved is a good one. I am no expert but In my experience I have challenged a black bear with bow in hand with success, backed slowly away from a small lion that I accidentally calf elk called in while elk hunting without any problem, and defended against a charging Doberman that felt like he wanted to get at my throat. The dog was the biggest threat in my opinion. I was pheasant hunting on a friend's private property when the dog came barking and snarling on a dead run from an adjacent property for over 100 yards. With my shotgun off safety and my finger on the trigger I yelled stop as he slid to a stop at my feet. I could tell that he saw the gun as a weapon that would be used against him and he was right as I backed him off.

15-Oct-22
I don’t think a dog has the First idea what a shotgun is. I would wager that what that Doberman saw was you standing your ground when he expected you to run, and he decided that you knew something he didn’t know.

One time a guy was getting nasty with me and I looked him in the eye and said “You’re a foot taller than me, and I’m not afraid of you. You might want to think about why that is. “

Thank God he bought it. (For the record, there are quite a few people a foot taller than me.)

If I were unarmed, facing that cat, WVM’s solution of charging the SOB has merit. It’s high stakes, but when a Bluff is your best bet, that’s what you do.

But if that were me and I had either a bow or a pistol on me? I’m not bluffing. If a reasonable person would fear serious bodily harm, that person would be within Rights to open up on another human. I can’t imagine the bar is somehow set higher for lions and tigers and bears…

15-Oct-22
Be a dead cat if it were me. Be a dead wolf as well if...

15-Oct-22
I just watched that video again, and it’s clear that the guy didn’t shoot until the cat was actually making a charge. Which also, of course, made it almost impossible to hit!

I guess the problem is that the guy taking the video didn’t seem to recognize that the charge was inevitable.

But there’s no way that cat was going to let that go without good reason, and it clearly didn’t acquire any sudden Fear Of God… Which means that the next human is at increased risk. I don’t think that’s responsible.

15-Oct-22
A dog definitely knows what a gun is. Get around a gun shy dog and pull a gun out. You’ll see for yourself.

15-Oct-22
^this. My dad's dog sees you heading to the closet and she starts watching. You pull a gun out of there and she knows it's time to go hunting. She is waiting at the door for you to go

15-Oct-22
By Bowsite logic, because some dogs that have been conditioned (positively or negatively) to guns, all dogs know what they are?

16-Oct-22
^^^ No. We're talking about learned behavior not generalized speculation.

16-Oct-22
I know some dogs are gun shy.

I know some dogs get absolutely fired up to go hunting when the guns come out. (Hell, I was RAISED by those dogs!!)

I don’t think there is a dog alive (perhaps outside of the military?) that knows that a gun “will kill you”, and I wouldn’t think that a dog that had been trained to go on the attack would have been trained to stand down or turn tail if someone pointed a gun at it.

I do know that Predators expect Prey to flee, and I know that they tend to classify other creatures as either “food” or “will kick my ass, so I’d better run”.

The lion in the video wasn’t sure which category is appropriate for humans .

• Sitka Gear