Corax_latrans 19-Oct-22
non typ 20-Oct-22
Zbone 20-Oct-22
DonVathome 20-Oct-22
BULELK1 21-Oct-22
JohnMC 21-Oct-22
Ron Niziolek 21-Oct-22
17-Oct-22
Two college students were mauled while shed hunting near Cody.Must have been bad both were airlifted to Billings.Hoping for a full recovery and thoughts and prayers to the families.Stay safe Lewis

17-Oct-22
Seen that earlier by the article I read the one guy got attacked and his buddy attacked the bear as a desperate measure to save his friend unfortunate for sure, quite brave in retrospect

17-Oct-22
Very brave Murph…I can’t even imagine

17-Oct-22
That kid has balls the size of pickle jars!!!!

17-Oct-22
One thing I don’t understand, obviously we have to find a way to live with grizzlies, but as human interaction steadily increases and more fatalities come about when will someone step in to take protective measures for public safety. I’m not saying to eliminate bears but management for sure, look at OSHA for instance every standard is written in blood as someone payed the ultimate price to create a law/rule to prevent it from happening again. Every fall more people are seriously hurt or killed mostly enjoying our public lands hunters hikers all alike but no change is in the works because of our money backed sierra clubs of the world..

17-Oct-22
Hello , earth to Mars, they need to be managed, via a hunting season....not rocket science.....

17-Oct-22
Shed hunting in October?

17-Oct-22

Brotsky's Link
Pretty bad ass that kid attacking the bear. Praying for their full recovery.

17-Oct-22
Black bear attacked 10 year old in Connecticut backyard.

17-Oct-22
I was thinking the same thing Brotsky....................must not be wildlife biology majors!

17-Oct-22
10-year-old boy attacked by black bear at grandparent's Connecticut home Staff and wire reports

A 10-year-old boy is recovering after a 250-pound black bear attacked him at his grandparent's home in Connecticut.

The boy was attacked around 11 a.m. Sunday in the town of Morris in the western part of the state, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) reported

James Butler, the boy's grandfather, told the Republican-American of Waterbury his grandson was playing near a trampoline when the bear emerged from thick woods behind the house.

“I heard him yell ‘bear’ and when I looked up, I saw his leg in the bear’s mouth and the bear trying to drag him across the lawn,” Butler said.

Butler, who uses a wheelchair, wheeled his chair toward the bear and threw a metal bar at its head, he told the newspaper.

The bear released the boy but then grabbed the child a second time and used its claws to try to roll the boy onto his back, the grandfather said.

A neighbor alerted by the boy's screams raced over and scared the bear off by brandishing a pipe

Once Butler and his grandson were safely inside the house, the bear returned, walking up a wheelchair ramp and peering at them through screen door, Butler said.

17-Oct-22
If that one kid is badassed enough to try and take on a grizzly, to help his buddy, maybe he was getting a jump on everyone else, and pulling the antlers off elk and mulies early…

18-Oct-22
Two words: Wrestling Team.

Can you imagine a world where everybody had just one friend like that?

That would be just awesome.

18-Oct-22
How do you ever adequately thank a guy who saves your life by taking on a Grizzly barehanded?

18-Oct-22
Brave kid... Wish the boys a speedy and full recovery...

Thing I don't understand, why would these boys go hiking in the wilds without a weapon, especially in grizzly country? When I was that age, I (and most friends) always carried some kind of a knife, and if headed to the woods likely carried a gun, even if it was only a .22......

18-Oct-22
Amazing story. I feel that when (optimism here) a season opens up it will help install the fear of man into them. I read that when the wolf season opened the wolves figured it out very quickly. Hopefully the bears are the same. In the past 3 years I have done to trips to WY where we saw a lot of bears. I am shocked how many there are.

18-Oct-22

Nomad @ work's Link

18-Oct-22

Nomad @ work's Link

19-Oct-22

BULELK1's Link
Those 2 Wrestlers are from my home state, up there on scholarship type deal going to college.

Some big azz shreds for October

Local news link above

Good luck, Robb

19-Oct-22
My kind of people.

19-Oct-22
I know some wrestlers who are real bad@$$es! Still takes some huge “stones” to jump on a griz to save your buddy!

19-Oct-22

19-Oct-22
Wrestlers, I'm not surprised.

I hire every one that applies. It helps that all of us in management wrestled including the owner of the company I work for.

19-Oct-22
Zbone, they had bear spray. The animal hit them fast and caught them off guard. They didn't have time to use the spray. In my inexperienced opinion this is an argument for a gun rather than or in addition to spray. Once you are engaged in an attack you're going to get hurt but you have a better chance to hurt back. Maybe. I hope to never find out.

19-Oct-22
His school wrestling career has ended. Who wants to wrestle a guy that wrestles grizzly bears!!!

Speedy recover MAN.

19-Oct-22
The American version of Kahbib Nurgamenanov. Check the spelling. But, if you follow MMA, you’ll get the point.

19-Oct-22

Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo

19-Oct-22

A little different view than the hospital room. Badass kids.

19-Oct-22
They can hunt with me.

19-Oct-22
Any day.

19-Oct-22
Unbelievable.... I'd like to think I'd do the same, I'm sure we all would, but until you are put into a situation like that you will never know. That's what a real wrestler does! Friend of gold for sure....

19-Oct-22
DAMMITBOY ! Dead people have looked better than that kid. I’m with y’all, it took some cajones to take on a bear with no weapon.

19-Oct-22
His school wrestling career has ended. Who wants to wrestle a guy that wrestles grizzly bears!!!

Speedy recover MAN.

19-Oct-22
“His school wrestling career has ended. Who wants to wrestle a guy that wrestles grizzly bears!!!”

No doubt!! Talk about punching above your weight!

19-Oct-22
New SOP: if you notice a lot of big bear scat, break out the defensive measures.

20-Oct-22
We hunted the Thorofare last week and seen 11 grizzly bears, one sow had 4 cubs. Had one boar come to about 60 yd while packing out meat on the horses.

20-Oct-22
WOW, yeah those photos give a different perspective... I wish that young man all the best...

20-Oct-22
I was in this area 2 weeks ago and heading back this weekend. I wish I did not see those pics. There are a lot of griz in that area.

21-Oct-22
Next time I'm up in Wyoming, I'm taking a Wrestler or a Hockey player with me!

Good luck, Robb

21-Oct-22
By Gayne C. Young

A man attacking a grizzly with his bare hands sounds like the start to a Chuck Norris joke.

It’s not.

It’s real life and it’s one hell of a story.

It began just after Saturday morning wrestling practice at Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming. Teammates Kendall Cummings, Brady Lowry, Orrin Jackson, and August Harrison decided to head up to the South Fork outside Cody for a day of shed hunting. All are experienced in the outdoors, and all brought bear spray. In addition to the half-dozen or so antlers they found, the group also saw plenty of bear scat. Despite sign of bear, at some point during the day the group broke apart with Cummings and Lowry moving roughly a half mile away from and Jackson and Harrison.

Cummings and Lowry were walking down a mountain ridge when a bear suddenly appeared and charged Lowry with such speed that he was unable to pull his bear spray. The bear slammed into Lowry and knocked him off the small ledge he was standing on. The bear then tore into him, breaking his arm and biting into his right thigh. Cummings tried to stop the attack by yelling at the bear and throwing shit at it. When that proved fruitless, the collegiate grappler jumped on the bear, waylaying it, and pulled its ear. Although the daring move might have been deemed illegal on the mats, it worked in the wild. The grizzly released Lowry.

Then it attacked Cummings.

“I could hear when his teeth would hit my skull, I could feel when he’d bite down on my bones and they’d kind of crunch,” Cummings later told Cowboy State Daily on Monday morning.

The attack ended and Cummings’ first thoughts were of Lowry.

Cummings stood to look for his teammate. “I called out to Brady to make sure he was alright and I think the bear heard me,” Cummings said. “It kind of circled around and got me again.”

The second attack was short, and once more the bear left Cummings to his injuries. Seeing the punishment Cummings endured led Lowry to believe his friend was dead. He hiked up the ridge to find a cell signal and called both Jackson and Harrison and 911.

Cummings, who had somehow survived two assaults from a grizzly, stood, found Lowry, and together with Jackson and Harrison (who had come running to offer assistance) began the long six-mile hike back to Bobcat-Houlihan Trailhead where their hike began. Cummings had to be carried at several points during the descent given his injuries.

Cummings was life-flighted to St. Vincent Healthcare in Billings, MT, while Lowry was taken to Cody Regional Health via ambulance before being transported to Billings. Lowry suffered a broken arm and multiple lacerations to his back, shoulders, right leg and thigh. Cummings received 60 staples in his head and suffered major lacerations to his arms and legs.

Northwest College wrestling coach Jim Zeigler told media of his four grapplers: “I’m proud of them, just the way they love each other, the way they protected each other, the way they stuck together. I can’t imagine the horror, the terror of it. I don’t think they realized it until after it was over how frightening it was. They just did what they did, helped each other survive and they lived to tell about it and I’m proud of them,”

21-Oct-22
The Jackson kid is from around here. My daughter recognized him for the picture. We all wish and hope we have a friend that would jump on a grizzly that was attacking us. One think I do not understand if all four had bear spray and he yelled and threw shit at bear first. Why did he not use his bear spray?

21-Oct-22
It’s hard to say how people would react experiencing anything like this, but we could only hope for friends who would jump in like that, barehanded or with a stick. Hell that kid probably forgot he had spray. Lol. Sh!t happens fast!

I’m consider myself lucky to hunt that country with the friends and family I have. We know we’ve got each other’s back.

Wishing these kids a speedy recovery!

• Sitka Gear