JohnMC 17-Oct-22
bghunter 17-Oct-22
Bob H in NH 17-Oct-22
JL 17-Oct-22
JL 17-Oct-22
bghunter 17-Oct-22
bghunter 17-Oct-22
17-Oct-22
So with the costs of hunts going up anyone know of management hunts for elk, blacktail deer or other species?

I have seen some through Google search, but seems can never get a response for a lot of the outfitters.

I would like to hunt other species and to me more about the experience of travel then the trophy factor

17-Oct-22
I don't know about any management guided hunts. But DIY hunts for elk and mulie are pretty durn easy to pull off. Maybe not as successful as a guided hunt, but with some homework and time you can have some good hunts for the cost of fuel and a tag.

17-Oct-22
Bake,

Thanks for the information. Without getting to much into it and I guess I should have clarified. DIY won't work for me.

17-Oct-22
I have not heard of many 'management' hunts outside of TX. To me it sounds awful to have to wait for one animal that is not good enough for their full priced hunters while passing on bigger critters.

No reason DIY hunts would not work for anyone. Unless there a reason you can't walk a ways out into the woods unassisted. That may be the case. But more than half the fun of hunting is figuring it out myself and not having someone hold my hand and tell me what you can and can't do. You can do several DIY for cost of one guided hunt. So if it does not work out you can take what you learned and try again.

17-Oct-22
John,

Fitness level isn't an issue but DIY won't work for me

17-Oct-22
What about cow elk hunts? They tend to be cheaper and great way to get meat

17-Oct-22

JL's Link
I've quite a few over the years on the Utah Craigslist section. Don't know anything about them...just passing it on.

17-Oct-22

JL's Link
Another place to check....

17-Oct-22
Bob,

You know what never thought about that. That would work too. Thanks for the suggestion.

17-Oct-22
Jl,

I will check that out. Thanks.

• Sitka Gear