MQQSE 18-Oct-22
fuzzy 18-Oct-22
JohnMC 18-Oct-22
kentuckbowhnter 18-Oct-22
Inshart 18-Oct-22
17-Oct-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Th is a cool story that's unfolded in the last 10 years.

First, Virginia had a lottery draw for 6 elk tags last year. This year 6 elk were killed. The hunt is during the rut and the bulls were bugling their heads off. I believe all 6 elk responded to the calls. All shots were with a rifle and under 200 yards. The closest was 100. Virginia draw doesn't work off points. It's $15 for residents and $20 for out of state hunters. The out of state hunter was from North Carolina. One tag was given to Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for auction. The winning bidder was from New Mexico and paid just shy off 100 grand for the tag. He gave the tag to his 15 year old son. His son ended up shooting the largest elk of the 6. It was a 8x9 that weighed 852 pounds.

Virginia's elk are basically in 3 counties that boarder Kentucky. Buchanan County is their main grounds but they do travel outside the 3 counties and last year 2 elk were killed outside of the 3 and the hunters used whitetail tags for the elk. Most of the land the elk are on is private land and contained in 14,000 acres. The land owners gave permission to the hunters. Some of the owners tagged along on the hunts that were taking place on their land. All the land owners that had elk killed on their property used their farm equipment to load the dead elk onto trucks.

One of the elk had a drop tine. It was aged at 11.5 years old and was one of the first elk that were relocated to Virginia in the return of the native species program 10 years ago.

The antlers in the pic are in the drying period but green scored well over 400.

A buddy sent me this story and picture.

17-Oct-22
Forget the elk....a 100 grand for a tag???? Yikes.....

17-Oct-22
Forget the $100k…. Using a whitetail tag on an elk is legal?! Damn I know where I’d be hunting if I lived over there

17-Oct-22
AZ auction elk tags for this fall went for $239,000 and $215,000. NV had one go for $180,000.

17-Oct-22
^....that's a lot of coin to go towards fundraising and an elk. I'm not even close to that league.

17-Oct-22

Huntiam 's embedded Photo
Live and grew up here where these elk are ..it’s a joke like shooting tame cows..hell I’ve seen wilder cows
Huntiam 's embedded Photo
Live and grew up here where these elk are ..it’s a joke like shooting tame cows..hell I’ve seen wilder cows

17-Oct-22
Are these considered "tame" or "pasture" elk? I would have guessed they were a bit more wild?

Either way....it's still a pretty elk though.

17-Oct-22
Huntiam obviously did not get drawn this year

17-Oct-22
No didn’t apply have no Intrest in shooting one to be honest I just like big whitetails and chasing black bears …I do and have gone for yrs with my wife and girls to watch these things they are pretty awesome creatures …

17-Oct-22
100k to a good cause and gave the tag to his 15 year old. I’m in on all of that!

17-Oct-22
100k to a good cause and gave the tag to his 15 year old. I’m in on all of that!

17-Oct-22
The Virginia elk draw is for Buchanan, Dickenson, and Wise counties in the designated Elk Management Zone. However, if you can catch one outside those counties, no draw needed, you can bust him during deer season and use your whitetail tag. It counts towards your seasonal bag limit for deer. You're limited to one elk per day. Ha!

17-Oct-22
I think the PA auction tag went for $275K. I think the bull killed on that tag was over 440” gross. Glad VA is hunting elk.

17-Oct-22
That’s awesome

17-Oct-22
The young man is stoked. Good deal all around!

17-Oct-22
Great bull.

Is it just me or does the lucky hunter look like Sherman (aka "The Shermantor") from American Pie?

17-Oct-22
Used to be Kentucky had a designated zone and if any wondered outside that zone there too were legal to be taken with deer tags... I actually went down there years ago to scout it out and the hillbilly locals in bordering counties outside the zone didn't know what the heck was talking about...

17-Oct-22
Those are some of the biggest G3 I have seen. Congrats to all the lucky hunters!

17-Oct-22
My family had from Buchanan County. Still have family there.

It is just about as rough as any country you will find. A whole great big bunch of up and down.

That's one nice Elk.

17-Oct-22
That’s one of the best looking set of elk antlers I think I have ever seen. Congratulations to the hunter!

18-Oct-22
I had a project in Wise county in 2004. One of the equipment operators owned a farm with alfalfa fields; he had shot a nice 6x6 bull the previous fall in his fields and shot a bigger 6x6 that fall.

18-Oct-22
Wonder if he plays the banjo?

18-Oct-22
Wonderful to see them back in Virginia and doing well. Beautiful bill too.

18-Oct-22
JL these are wild free ranging elk. I live three counties over and we occasionally have a satellite bull wander through

18-Oct-22
Curious why they don't want them expanding outside of those three counties?

18-Oct-22
did that guy play banjo on deliverance?

18-Oct-22
"Those are some of the biggest G3 I have seen" The 1's and 2's are real shabby either!

• Sitka Gear