Brotsky 19-Oct-22
Bowboy 19-Oct-22
kentuckbowhnter 19-Oct-22
Bowboy 19-Oct-22
wytex 19-Oct-22
WapitiBob 20-Oct-22
Tracker 20-Oct-22
18-Oct-22
First of all, let me preface my question with the fact I am from Alabama and have very limited knowlege of preference points and tag drawings in western states. However, I will have 7 preference points for WY elk next year and am looking for suggestions/references for a WY outfitter for elk (bow or rifle). Is 7 PP good enough to get a good tag?... or do I need to bank a few more points?

I know I can study up on the WY website, but with the wealth of knowlege here on Bowsite, thought I would ask here first. What say Bowsite?

18-Oct-22
Hi Andy, I'll be following. I have 12pts now and not sure where to go. Point creep has been killing WY just like everywhere it seems.....

18-Oct-22
I got 8 and following also

18-Oct-22
7 should be enough to get a tag with www.nelsonoutfitters.com

Give Dave Nelson a call. He has private land access to some primo public land in the Bighorns near Sheridan Wyoming. Tell him Kenny Hollingsworth referred you.

18-Oct-22
Not sure if any great areas would be in your range but lots of good areas are. General licenses are not bad with an outfitter usually, they will have horse pack in trips or private land to hunt. Just avoid S n S please, Sy is not a friend of NR hunters.

You want big country, pack in or ranch type ? Something a little easier maybe , lots of choices?

18-Oct-22
Kind of in no man's land a bit at 7, I'm at 6 so very close. I would probably get a general tag and go with one of the many good outfitters that hunt general areas.

18-Oct-22
So how is SteveB sitting with 12 points?

18-Oct-22
Sorry, but Guys with 12 points are probably gonna be tight lipped. Point creep has been rammed up thier ass the last couple years with speculation of 90/10. Last year I put in for a 4 point unit with 8 points. Ended up guys with 9 didn’t even draw. Just dig in you’ll find somethin that fits you

18-Oct-22
Every year I think "next year" and point creep kicks in. Take 45 and 38 for example

18-Oct-22
i got 13. been in contact with mike wakkuri at elk mountain outfitters and considering going with a buddy who has 1 or 2 PP. we'd share points so we'd be 7 PP's average, where the OP is. any feedback on this outfit?

18-Oct-22
Ron- I need to find friends like you. :)

18-Oct-22
I bet the OP will be contacted by a couple Bowsite fellas asking him if he want to average his 7 PPs with their 0 PPs. Hahaha

19-Oct-22
Elk Mtn Outfitters are the jerks that sued those guys for corner crossing if im not mistaken. I wouldnt hunt with them based on that.

19-Oct-22
"Elk Mtn Outfitters are the jerks that sued those guys for corner crossing if im not mistaken"

You are completely mistaken.... The corner crossing case is on The Elk Mountain Ranch, no relation to Elk Mountain Outfitters other than being located in/around Elk Mountain, WY. I hunted with the Wakkuris in September, and they are good as gold.

19-Oct-22
SteveB, if I had 12 I know where I'd hunt next year. The exact drainage even :)

19-Oct-22
As stated it was Elk Mountain Ranch that went after fence crossers.

19-Oct-22
If you want a guided trip, 7 points may get you into unit 48. IT took 6 this year and we had a great hunt with 5 Star on a 68,000 private ranch.

19-Oct-22
As stated it was Elk Mountain Ranch that went after fence crossers.

19-Oct-22
Elk Mtn Outfitters are great folks, known around here as being so. They hunt more than one area I believe so depends on where they would take you how many PP it takes. Both areas are good ones I know that. Mid PP is going to be a General hunt and we have plenty of good ones, public land and private land hunts in general areas. Elk quota was changed for NR so no idea on how that affect your draw odds next year if it is in affect then. Could be more General licenses available and less LQ, or vice versa.

I can't remember when the changes go into affect but it usually gives folks a year to apply or not before they go in affect. They were voted or passed this year by commission.

20-Oct-22
Nr region/lq quotas won’t go into affect until approved at the season setting meeting April 2024.

20-Oct-22
38 in the Bighorns is a great area. 12 is a couple short for archery but it can be drawn with that many during the gun season. I hunted 37 Type 9 archery this year. It was a great hunt and I Was into elk everyday but one of my 8 days hunting. Had multiple bulls at 40 yards and one at 25 just could not get the shot. I would not use 7 points thou for 37. I had 4 going in and my buddy 5 and we drew on the special.

• Sitka Gear