JL 18-Oct-22
BULELK1 19-Oct-22
Zbone 19-Oct-22
cnelk 19-Oct-22
fuzzy 19-Oct-22
LUNG$HOT 24-Oct-22
DanaC 17-Oct-23
18-Oct-22
I am trying to build a website to display some photography. I am thinking categories such as wildlife, landscapes, ect. Then under category like wildlife have sub categories like elk, whitetail, mule deer ect. Maybe a little about me and contact info.

Does anyone have and suggestion for get this started. Preferably spend as little as possible. Looking for best hosting site, tips for actually building, Does and don't. Anything else I should know? A kid that wants a project to for the learning experience ;)

18-Oct-22
godaddy works great

18-Oct-22

JL's Link
John....the link is to one of my Coastie buddies. He is a historian, researcher, writer, speaker and as you can see, has written numerous books. It's not a big website but you might be able to see if his website has anything you could use for your new site. If you want....reach out to him and see if he can offer some pointers. BTW....he has written some great historical books if anyone is into history. John

18-Oct-22
To clarify I know more or less know what I want. Just looking for how to get there. Possible pay someone a small sum to help be get it build then I take it from there. I am doing this for a hobby. Possible make a buck or two somewhere down the road. But I am not doing it as a business that see it as a profit center. So I want a nice professional website. Once set up I want to be able to add and delete photos myself. Don't want help from someone that looking for customers with Fortune 500 budgets. Either some free advice or someone that is getting started and look for as much some experience as making money. I have played with some the 'free' website and not getting to where I want to be.

18-Oct-22
Instagram?

18-Oct-22
godaddy was pretty simple and worked good for me a few years ago. Make GOOD notes, it is much easier to change things (like pics) later when you follow your old notes.

18-Oct-22
In watching photography videos on YouTube I was sure I heard them advertising sites that are pre-made for photographers. Exactly what you're asking. Pro's: Cheap and what you want. Cons: Tough to stand out when you're the same as everyone else.

18-Oct-22
If you're willing to learn a little about css and html you can create your own. Of course you have to purchase a domain and get a hosting account subscription first. But if you'd rather not bother with learning how to write code, most of the hosting providers offer DIY site-building tools.

18-Oct-22
Be careful with some of the web building sites. They will build the actual page and host it or register it with( “ICANN” the organization of domains. )

Make sure to ask Who owns the the site. There are some sketchy outfits that will take your name John’spictures.com And register it in their name. As long as you keep paying the fees to keep it registered all is well. Until you want to take your site to a new Web design company and learn you don’t own your website. The old designer registered it in their name. Now they want you to buy the domain name from them.

Godaddy is legit and will register the domain in your name. And as long as you keep paying the very minimal fees it’s yours. Usually less than $20 annually

General info

Anyone who wishes to buy a domain name can do so as long as someone else hasn't beaten them to the punch. All you need to do is find a local registrar such as Network Solutions or GoDaddy in the US, Marcaria or EuropeRegistry in Europe, find an available domain name that you like and pay a fee for them to set it up. There are restrictions to what domain names can be used such as an educational institution for .edu addresses, a government entity for .gov addresses, etc. Until a domain name is claimed, nobody "owns" it. In reality, nobody really owns any domain name; they are leased for a period of time (generally 1 to 3 years) and require re-registration or extension for continued use of the domain. ICANN is the overlord of all web domains

If you have a site or company name in mind. Do a search to learn if that domain is still available. If it is get it registered in your name. Don’t share that potential name online because someone can buy it ahead of you and then they own your company name. And you will have to buy it from them.

18-Oct-22

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Registering and Locking down domain names in hopes that someone will need it in the future and buy it from you is a relatively new form of speculation. A lot of people got very wealthy registering every silly word.com you can imagine then selling it to the business, celebrity, sports person etc. Here is what some companies or people have paid for particular names they needed for their business

18-Oct-22
For example I own Rokisasaki.com Rokisasaki.net Rokisasaki.org Rokisasaki.co In hopes he hits the US in the coming years. But you can’t wait until it’s certain or the domain won’t be available.

18-Oct-22
Thanks for the info. My dream/goals is to get some photos in and on cover of some magazine. I reached out actually on here with a PM to the editor of a big hunting magazine. He emailed me and looked at my instagram page. He sent me a email and copied the art director. I have exchanged a few emails with him, and he is willing to consider using some of my stuff. He asked for a website. I feel like my pictures are good enough. I am lacking on understanding how best to work with these guys, and I figure most don't have the time or interest in teach that part to me. I have also talked with some professional photographers and all recommend a website. So that how I have come to decide I need one and that is purpose I want it for.

Thanks for the help!

18-Oct-22

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
I have gotten one cover for the Colorado Bowhunters Association magazine. Which is a awesome magazine and worth joining the CBA for alone. It was not a big bull elk or deer though. Also I do have Instagram. It is not the best for showcasing pics for what I want to do. It is John_cannonoutdoorsphotos if anyone wants to check it out.

18-Oct-22

JL's Link
Another Coastie buddy's wife's photography website. This is her wildlife page. They live in Kodiak for a lot of years. She has sold some/one of her photos to an artist who did a beautiful painting/prints. The photos at her site will automatically scroll thru every couple of seconds.

It looks like the link at the bottom of her page is called photobiz. I'm guessing they do websites for photographers. (https://www.photobiz.com/)

19-Oct-22

BULELK1's Link
I built this one --see my link-- years ago and did it via the dial up server I had at that time.

For sure, Share the link with us when ya get it online man.

Good luck, Robb

19-Oct-22
Great thread, thanks for sharing...

19-Oct-22
JohnMC - What not make it a small business? You can deduct all of your expenses [ camera/web hosting/home office/etc] and make some side money

19-Oct-22
Find out what the Virginia State Agencies (VDH, DWR, VDPOR, etc) use and use something else. ANYTHING else. Lol

24-Oct-22
John, look at “Square Space”. Very user friendly and several different levels of “membership”. You can pretty much do anything you need for a basic site there. Good luck. Can’t wait to check it out.

17-Oct-23

DanaC's Link
WordPress is well thought of, no idea of cost

• Sitka Gear