midwest 28-Nov-22
Cazador 28-Nov-22
JTreeman 28-Nov-22
Sivart 28-Nov-22
rattling_junkie 28-Nov-22
krieger 29-Nov-22
18-Oct-22
I don’t want to conduct a search.

I am just after folks opinions that have used these heads, how they liked them?

I’d appreciate any feedback on them. Thank you guys

18-Oct-22
I’ve shot one buck. He ran 80 yards in snow with not one drop spilled until he hit the ground. Anecdotal but I love the head. They are built like a tank compared to other mechanicals.

18-Oct-22
As mentioned above, they are constructed better than any other mechanical I have shot to date. My experience has been with the Sevr 1.5 on whitetails. They have penetrated well, not failed, and I have recovered all deer that I have shot with them with relatively short blood trails. The blood trails haven't been real impressive though and they do tend to rattle in my quiver when I shoot which I think is a common trait. When I go back to mechanicals for deer and black bear, I will shoot them again without reservation. Hope that helps ya. I have killed a half dozen or so deer with them.

18-Oct-22
I hated the stupid rubber bands. Drove me nuts. Not a fan

18-Oct-22
I appreciate all the input. They do seem like they’re built very well.

How’re the blades for strength? Do they hold up well? Thanks you guys for your time!

18-Oct-22

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I shot a mulie buck with the 1.5 and he only went 50yds. First animal I ever shot with a mechanical.

18-Oct-22
I’ll Be shooting them out of my new bow I had set up for my whitetail hunt this year.

It’s a 80 lbs prime inline 5.

450 grain arrow going 303 fps

I went with the new 2” cut.

I truly don’t anticipate penetration problems.

18-Oct-22
They are really tough. I used the 2 inch titanium a lot with a crossbow last season and they were amazing. I have the 1.5 for my vertical bow this year. I still like the standard 1 inch slick trick 125 but couldn’t find them last year so I tried SEVR. I shot one buck at 40 yards and the head blew through and stuck 2 inches into a tree. When I got it out it still looked perfect. I also too my biggest whitetail last year in VA and the exit would was absolutely crazy. I could put both hands in the exit hole and the blood trail was crazy.

18-Oct-22
They are really tough. I used the 2 inch titanium a lot with a crossbow last season and they were amazing. I have the 1.5 for my vertical bow this year. I still like the standard 1 inch slick trick 125 but couldn’t find them last year so I tried SEVR. I shot one buck at 40 yards and the head blew through and stuck 2 inches into a tree. When I got it out it still looked perfect. I also too my biggest whitetail last year in VA and the exit would was absolutely crazy. I could put both hands in the exit hole and the blood trail was crazy.

18-Oct-22
I think they have great customer service. That being said I use them in Africa and did not do well with them They failed on smaller animals

18-Oct-22
How’d they fail? Not open?

18-Oct-22
I started using them this year.

70 lb bow 516 grain total arrow weight(FMJ’s) 2” cut Sevr

I shot 2 antelope this year so far, 28yard and 21 yard shot. Neither ran very far. I was very impressed with them. Also I think I would have probably had pretty much the same result with any head taking into account where I hit them and the distance. I did have iron wills in my quiver for elk, but plan to continue using Sevr for deer and antelope. They fly great and I like how you can put the screw in for practice.

18-Oct-22
Penetration issue on impala at 14 yards as well as warthog at 19 yards. Great people but the head just didn't do well. 60 lbs. Bowtech solution 500 grain arrow Easton axis.

18-Oct-22
They are great heads. You won’t have any penetration issues. I shoot the 2” models for everything but elk and have shot 3 deer with the same head. I can’t remember how many I have killed with Sevrs now but they are tough and fly great. Cons are rattling in the quiver and they don’t put as much blood on the ground as other mechanicals. I really like Trypans but can’t deal with them opening in my quiver. The Sevr is the best overall option for me. They might not put as much blood on the ground as others but deer go down quick with Sevrs.

18-Oct-22
Shot my biggest buck ever through the femur and through heart. 1.5’s watched him drop in open field. Went 90 yards.

Then shot a whitetail doe quarter to great shot great blood considering I exited guts. She went 45 yards. Then used a 2.0 Robusto made a not great shot on a mulie doe quartering to surprising good blood trail. Gave her an hour I was 4 hours from home slipped in the way she went and she was basically toast already couldn’t get up. One lung and into guts went 85 yards.

Overall I’d say same blood type performance as a Rage just way tougher head and more accurate IMO

18-Oct-22
All of this feed back is excellent. I appreciate all the experiences with them for sure.

I do wonder why the overall experience is, not outstanding blood trails. Any opinions on that?

19-Oct-22
May be the pivoting blades, Jeff.

19-Oct-22
I agree with Nick. I think sometimes with the pivoting blade you don’t get the full cutting diameter.

19-Oct-22

Blood's embedded Photo
Quartering to entrance hole.
Blood's embedded Photo
Quartering to entrance hole.
My son shot a 120lb field dressed doe with the 2.0. Full pass thru. Head was in great condition after burying in the ground. Entrance hole in the pic. Not a huge blood trail. Doe went about 70 yards.

19-Oct-22
I have shot close to a dozen whitetail with them, they are a very well built head. They fly like darts. My issue with them is the lack of blood trails with them. A couple of the deer have had ZERO blood. For this reason I have changed back to the Rage hypodermic where I have never had an issue with lack of blood trails.

19-Oct-22
It’s interesting because the lack of blood trail is exactly why I hate heads like snuffer ss and Montecs and any other similar head.

I was hoping the sevr would produce the damage I’m Looking for. I love the grim reapers but they have such a small Entrance.

We’ll give the sevr a chance and see what happens.

Thanks you guys!

19-Oct-22
I used the 1.5" Ulmer Edge for two years back about 7-8 years ago. Same blade and locking design and almost the identical head as the Sevr. After Ulmer Edge production ceased for a couple years the head came back onto the market as the Sevr.

Anyway, quit using them due to the worst blood trails I ever had plus a few bad experiences. And I gave them a legitimate two year test bringing home a grizzly, Roosevelt elk, Coues, Blacktail, Whitetail deer and a Black bear.

On the plus side they were great flying heads and offered the ability to pre-shoot the heads with the blades locked closed.

Bottom line, I wasn't a fan based on personal experience. Give me a 3-blade or 4-blade head any day.

19-Oct-22
Man that sucks hear these things about the crappy blood trails. The pivoting blades definitely make sense though as a possible reason for this.

The illustration looks great on paper but I truly have to wonder what really happens inside the animal with the pivoting motion.

19-Oct-22
I use SEVRs and have had good luck with them. To me, it's going to be difficult for any 2-blade head to produce as good of blood trails as a 3 or 4 blade, just seems like common sense based on the geometry of the hole(s). Also, a blood trail depends so much on if you have an entrance AND an exit and where those holes are.

I've shot several deer from a tree where I had a low exit hole that had great blood trails. I shot a bull elk with a SEVR 2.0 in September... quartering away, arrow buried to the knock mid body up and down, but hit the offside shoulder so no exit hole. Bull ran full speed for 14 seconds and fell laying on the entrance hole. Very little blood to follow but where he fell was an absolute lake of blood. So it's not that the head didn't cause massive damage while penetrating, it's that I had one hole midway up the body, so the entire cavity had to fill up before leaving a trail, and the trail was 14 seconds long.

19-Oct-22
A lot of 2 blade mechanicals create massive hemorrhaging. I can see how a fixed 2 blade wouldn’t cause that much.

I did figure it being a very wide cut mechanical, that blood would be very good.

19-Oct-22
I guess what I'm saying is, in my experience, the SEVR does create massive hemorrhaging, but the number and location of potential exits determines how much ends up on the ground. On my recent elk, seemingly all of the blood ended up on the ground where he fell, but almost none on the ground as he was running at full speed for 14 seconds, because there was only one hole mid-way up the body cavity. That's a lot of space to fill up before spilling out.... I don't believe any head would have been any different.

19-Oct-22
DC.... I shoot a 2 blade fixed. It's made by Rexpid. I do so because of low compound weight 45 lbs. But blood trails has been good. Also the Sevr out of a Ravin R10, crossbow is devastating.

20-Oct-22
Thanks everyone!

20-Oct-22
Used the 2.0 titanium for the first time on a WY pronghorn; 20 yd. broadside passthrough stuck in the ground other side. Blades undamaged. Removed them and resharpened better than new...good to go again.

21-Oct-22
Shot an antelope buck quartering to me hard at 30yds this year. Arrow blew through the front shoulder and stuck halfway out the back. Didn’t look for a blood trail, he only ran 15yds and died

Shot a doe antelope at 20. Complete pass through good blood

I shoot the 2.0

21-Oct-22
I used the 1.5” 125 grain last fall. Never needed to to blood trail as the deer went down in sight. Love the design but this year went back to my slick trick 125 standards.

21-Oct-22
I’m not a fan of them. Not a fan of the pivoting blade. I tried the Ulmer edges (same thing as sevr) back in the day and had bad experiences with great hits using those heads.

21-Oct-22
^ X2, I think they are close to being a great head, except the pivoting blades

23-Oct-22
I'm a fan. Used 1.5 Titanium for elk. Kills whitetail just fine. Durable and effective.

23-Oct-22
I've used the 2.1 out of a 60lb bow and had great success in the past. This year tried a 2.0 with my 65lb bow. 15 yard shot at a steep angle, quartering away on a decent sized doe last week. Broad head hit only lungs and just the tip made it through through the other side (behind the front leg). She ran off and heard her crash. 60 yards is all she made it. Didn't get a huge hole on exit so the blood trail was just drops at first but found her without really trying. The bh smashed through a rib on entry. The blades were slightly bent but intact. The tip and ferrule are perfect. I'll replace the blades and reuse. They are not that sharp out of the package imo but in minutes I get them deadly with my Spyderco Sharp Maker. I'm a fan.

23-Oct-22
Not a fan. Having shot a lot of diff mechanical heads, these gave me the worst blood trails. Don't like the pivoting blades. I never lost an animal with them, but a lot of them went a lot further than they should have, based on the shot placement. I've had entry and exit holes that were only 1" or less. I believe this is because of the pivoting blades. I gave up on them. Just my opinion.

27-Nov-22
Supposedly super tough, and it makes sense. They were very accurate for me out to 100 yards in practise, so no complaints there.

I shot a buck earlier in the season, a giant which makes it hurt a little more, but it was at last light and I don’t shoot lighted nocks so I can’t confirm where I hit it, but I had not a drop of blood. Tracked it in the dirt on the edge of that field for 300 yards, not a drop. Never found that deer after weeks of looking for birds and gridding.

This morning, went to shoot a meat doe. 23 yards, quartering away, shot looked perfect, hugged the shoulder beautifully, stopped in offside shoulder. Watched her run 400 yards across the field, feed a little and then jump the road. No blood. Ya, I’m moving on, back to trypans and big holes. The trypans may not kill cinder blocks but they sure as heck kill stuff dead.

27-Nov-22
I’m sorry Mpaul! That sucks!

I didn’t end up using them. I went with my muzzy shank but never had a chance at a Whitey buck this year in Kansas.

27-Nov-22

JTreeman's embedded Photo
So….I’ve been trying to hold judgment, but I’ve shot 8-10 animals with them this year and don’t think I’ll buy any more. I agree about the pivoting blades, I am not a fan. I’ve shot both 1.5 and 2.0 titanium. I have picked up an arrow that killed a buck with a huge hole and blood everywhere but the blades were not locked open. That seems very strange to me. I think I’ve killed and recovered all but one animal i shot with them and that was not the broadheads fault at all, and that animal was actually recovered but with a bullet in him. That particular head had the tip all mangled when retrieved though. Like it had hit a rock. But certainly had not.

They certainly fly good. I agree they should be a little sharper out of the box. But my biggest criticism of them from a design standpoint (well, maybe second to pivoting blades) is one I don’t hear talked about much. I do not like the fact that the activation arms protrude past the leading edge of the blade when open. See my pic above. It can’t be good for cutting, and it’s already at a disadvantage with the steep blade angle. Just seems like a poor deaign to me.

I had hoped that they would be my expandable of choice going forward, but I think I’ll continue my search.

—jim

27-Nov-22

But to be fair this is the hole (exit identical) from the 2.0 on an OK whitetail. The blades were NOT locked open when I found the arrow. It was certainly a pass through, but not a fly through, was hanging by the vanes when he ran off. Picked up the arrow about 50 yards after the shot and deer dead 40 yards after that on a full run. Blood everywhere. It worked very well on that particular shot, I just have my doubts going forward with less perfect shots.

—Jim

27-Nov-22
The concept of the blades going around bones is something I can't get my head around. I want a head that blasts through anything in its way relatively speaking. Ribs on NA animals are not what I would call obstacles to avoid and I want them cut in half if hit.

Shoulders, eh, I look at shoulder shots as shitting shooting. Been there, done that, and have never had a good outcome no matter if I was shooting a COC head or not.

27-Nov-22
Supposedly super tough, and it makes sense. They were very accurate for me out to 100 yards in practise, so no complaints there.

I shot a buck earlier in the season, a giant which makes it hurt a little more, but it was at last light and I don’t shoot lighted nocks so I can’t confirm where I hit it, but I had not a drop of blood. Tracked it in the dirt on the edge of that field for 300 yards, not a drop. Never found that deer after weeks of looking for birds and gridding.

This morning, went to shoot a meat doe. 23 yards, quartering away, shot looked perfect, hugged the shoulder beautifully, stopped in offside shoulder. Watched her run 400 yards across the field, feed a little and then jump the road. No blood. Ya, I’m moving on, back to trypans and big holes. The trypans may not kill cinder blocks but they sure as heck kill stuff dead.

27-Nov-22

Murph's embedded Photo
Blood and arrow from the buck I lost
Murph's embedded Photo
I too purchased some of the titanium 2.0 this fall a follow up shot on a big mule buck that was slightly quartering away ended up deflecting and slid under the shoulder never entering the chest. The animal was recovered after I put another iron Will through him. Second experience was a hard quartering doe she reacted at the shot and caught her in the rear ham it penetrates excellent cutting the femoral and the point popped through 7th rib back 80 Yrd recovery blood everywhere.. Thanksgiving evening had a buck come through under my tree stopped him at 22 yds slight quartering held bottom third broke a clean shot when the buck turned to leave fletch was holding arrow in on exit looked good through the chest. He ran 170 yds tucked into some cedars I assumed he was dead I could see blood on the canary grass from my tree. After about 20 min got down and blood trail looked phenomenal so I took it up, ended up jumping the buck so backed out and went back a hour and half later thinking it was maybe 1 lung since blood was good. Ended up jumping him again and he had clotted off and ended up losing the buck after looking the next day as well at by his point have no idea what exactly happened not saying it is sevrs fault but dumbfounded..

27-Nov-22

Murph's embedded Photo
Murph's embedded Photo
I too purchased some of the titanium 2.0 this fall a follow up shot on a big mule buck that was slightly quartering away ended up deflecting and slid under the shoulder never entering the chest. The animal was recovered after I put another iron Will through him. Second experience was a hard quartering doe she reacted at the shot and caught her in the rear ham it penetrates excellent cutting the femoral and the point popped through 7th rib back 80 Yrd recovery blood everywhere.. Thanksgiving evening had a buck come through under my tree stopped him at 22 yds slight quartering held bottom third broke a clean shot when the buck turned to leave fletch was holding arrow in on exit looked good through the chest. He ran 170 yds tucked into some cedars I assumed he was dead I could see blood on the canary grass from my tree. After about 20 min got down and blood trail looked phenomenal so I took it up, ended up jumping the buck so backed out and went back a hour and half later thinking it was maybe 1 lung since blood was good. Ended up jumping him again and he had clotted off and ended up losing the buck after looking the next day as well at by his point have no idea what exactly happened not saying it is sevrs fault but dumbfounded..

27-Nov-22

Murph's embedded Photo
Murph's embedded Photo

27-Nov-22
JTreeman I had also picked up on the wings protruding past the cutting surface I even contemplated filing them down seems so obvious but no one seems to care especially sevr

27-Nov-22
Update to the doe in shot this morning. Since I watched her run about 400 yards without too much trouble, and found no blood for the first 100 yards, I figured I’d come back to the situation after church.

Well, on the way home from church I figured I’d drive down that mile road to see if there would be blood crossing the road. Sure enough, my arrow is laying on one side of the road, and I can see blood after that, crossing the road. And there she is, laying dead in someone’s driveway. Less than ideal. I guess she tipped as soon as she got out of my sight, but boy, did I misjudge her body language. She didn’t seem too hurt. I was wrong about stopping in the offside shoulder, I got an exit, but no pass through. Shooting 65 pounds, 430 grain arrow, and tuned very well. Shot her off the ground, and I would say placement was excellent. For sure got heart and one lung, maybe two, but couldn’t quite tell. She went WAY further than I’d expect, and had no blood until arrow fell out. I’m still unhappy with that performance. As expected, broadhead is in mint shape.

27-Nov-22
M.Paul’s the buck I lost bled good for over half a mile intermittently my setup is real close to yours 440gr arrow 70lb bow going 288fps should be sticking in the dirt imo but wasn’t my first real honest trial with mechanicals has been less then glorious this fall and in fact quite ugly I’ve been shooting slick trick fixed blades for 13yrs with nonissue I’ll be circling back after this and maybe work more iron wills into my quiver they are a hell of a head imo

27-Nov-22

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Exit
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
Exit

27-Nov-22
I’ll be shooting the 150 next year

27-Nov-22
Shot a couple animals with them. First a doe with the 1.7, right in the "V". Big hole, dead in seconds.

Longer story on the second deer. Shot a buck with the 1.5. Shot felt perfect, heard the 'pop' you like to hear at the shot but couldn't see where the hit was. Deer didn't even act like he was hit which was puzzling. He nervously trotted then walked off to where I couldn't see him anymore. Half hour later, I see him on his feet near where I last saw him. Thought he was acting kind of hurt and after several minutes he walked out of my sight again. I sat in the tree for 3 hours before getting down. Couldn't find my arrow so walked over to where I last saw the deer and not one spec of blood anywhere. I assumed I missed and the sound I heard must have been something the arrow hit after missing the deer and that was why he acted like he wasn't hit.

Fast forward a few days and I walked back in to that set to move the platform I'd left in the tree. Amazingly, I walked right to my arrow I couldn't find before! Pretty happy to at least recover the arrow. Picked it up and realized right away this arrow had gone through the deer. Dried blood and hair on the arrow. AND the blades were NOT locked open! No idea what I hit but the fact that it passed through the animal and not one drop of blood where he had been for over a half hour tells me I can't trust that head anymore.

27-Nov-22
Thanks for the info!!! Some great bow hunters with real life experiences. Glad I haven’t bought any yet. Hunt

27-Nov-22
I hate being a guy to answer the question not asked, but if you want a good mechanical a 1.5 inch spitfire is really hard to beat.

Obviously if your looking at the sevr, you want a big wound and dependability. Spitfires deliver this.

The spitfires aren’t new or fancy, but it’s pretty dang hard to find many complaints about them. For as long as they’ve been around, that’s saying something.

It’s kind of alarming how many guys seemed to get poor results with the sevr in this thead.

That was really the only reason I suggested another broadhead versus personal experience with the Sevr.

I almost tried them a few years back, glad I didn’t.

27-Nov-22

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
This bear wasn't found sevr 1.5, still shot from the video, definitely an issue with them

27-Nov-22
Perfect shot

27-Nov-22
I have had the exact opposite results 7 animals shot with them have yet to make it 200 yards combined.

Go figure?

27-Nov-22
Well Jason that’s what happens when you shoot bears the size of train cars.

Honestly I’ve had great results this far with em. I’ll forever owe my 195 whitetail to a Sevr 1.5 going right through the humerus and taking the top of the heart. They’ve killed a few animals that might not have died with most heads out there in all seriousness. That being said the sample size of issues seems large enough it gives me cause for concern. What to do with the couple hundred dollars worth of heads I have yet to use? Doe patrol?

28-Nov-22
I’ve killed a few turkeys, a few deer, a few elk, a bear and a buffalo with the Sevrs and have nothing but good things to say about them.

28-Nov-22
Easily the shittiest mechanical available…. And I’ve killed a few critters with them.

28-Nov-22
In 47 years of bowhunting I never once had a issue with a broadhead . And I've killed over 250+ animals with a bow.

28-Nov-22

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Back to the ol' tried and true Slick Trick yesterday. :-)

28-Nov-22
I shot a big 6x6 this past September quartering away with a 1.5. The shot was back, that’s my fault. I got very little penetration. I set up camp there and took up the track the next morning and found no blood. Never found a single drop. I was able to follow his tracks for awhile but eventually lost the trail.

I’ve assisted on a couple other tracks and can’t say I’ve been too impressed with the blood trails they’ve left behind.

28-Nov-22
I shot 4 deer with them this year. I am not impressed. With my set up I should blow through a whitetail. Of the 4 deer only a doe was a complete pass through arrow sticking in the dirt. 2 of the bucks I poked a hole in the opposite side but that is it for penetration. The 3rd buck was a spine hit.

Blood trails were nothing to get excited about. I will use up what I got and make some adjustments. Probably will be going back to a COC head.

28-Nov-22
I ordered some Trypan NCs and am going to give them a go for late season does. Out of all the mechanicals I have shot, the Trypan was the best perfomer, but I hated the shock collar. The NC design could possibly be a slight step back in performance from the OG Trypan, but I want to give them a test run to see for myself.

28-Nov-22
For me, one of the biggest selling points for the Sevr was the ability to install a little set screw to lock the blades closed for practice. I love that feature and wish more mech manufacturers would implement that.

28-Nov-22

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Just found about 10 packs of these at the local store. Going to buy 3 packs today as they’re the OG legit Trypans.

28-Nov-22
Midwest - I pretty much could care less about that feature. I would prefer they didn’t have it personally, but I guess it really doesn’t hurt anything to not use it.

As far as the rage with shock collars - I pretty much hate those as well. I prefer the no collar, but personally would actually probably prefer the old rubber bands to either.

The search for the perfect expandable is freaking exhausting…

—jim

28-Nov-22
Not sure why you would not care about that feature. Being able to shoot and tune the actual head that your going to hunt with is a huge advantage to me. It's also why I tried the Sevr. But in the end, they just don't perform, or kill as cleanly as all the other heads I've tried. I'm back to the hypodermics.

28-Nov-22
I got the perfect expandable in mind. Carcus and I have talked about it lots. Basically a Sevr body and tip with the blade angle of the old Snyper. I'd prefer a 1.25" cut for best penetration and still a big enough cut IMO. And of course no swing blade action. Could just have a simple rubber band as well.

29-Nov-22
I have only one kill with the SevR, and it worked fine. I'm not a huge slap-cut fan. I'd rather shoot an Innerloc EXP or Wasp Jakhammer/Jak-Knife, or a Vortex.

I have more Sevr's and will use them up, but I'm not sold on them.

• Sitka Gear