Old School 29-Oct-22
Cazador 29-Oct-22
TODDY 29-Oct-22
greg simon 29-Oct-22
TODDY 29-Oct-22
midwest 30-Oct-22
Cazador 30-Oct-22
22-Oct-22
With the way things are going in WY, what do you think the odds are of drawing general elk tags with 4 points next year. Thanks, Bob

22-Oct-22
Just guessing regular will take 4.33-4.5 to be 100%. Special around 3.75-4 to be 100%. That's assuming the average of .75 point creep per year. Wouldn't surprise me to see a full 1 point creep in the next 1-3 years.

22-Oct-22
Special was 46% at 3.0000; 760 applicants at that level. I wouldn't bet on 4.0000 being 100% in the special side next year.

22-Oct-22
With the general tags going to regions, are they going to be split evenly across the regions? This could change odds depending on what part of the state your looking to hunt and how many tags each region is going to get

22-Oct-22
Are the general tags split to regions this next draw?

22-Oct-22
Looks like 2024, I thought it was next year

24-Oct-22
2024, tags based on 3 year average. I’ll post up the early region and tag quotas when I get a sec.

24-Oct-22
As usual your awesome Bob!

24-Oct-22

WapitiBob's Link
Nothing has been approved at this point. Open the PowerPoint presentation, Scroll down and you’ll see the timeline, regions, and quotas.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/10CUdF-TZ8Fk-UjDy92EtiInnS-XeZj0i/1Tcao_eyvhJSeN1zelVenflVBGf_hQL2I?usp=sharing&sort=13&direction=a

24-Oct-22
Interesting. I could see some of those “general” regions taking as many or more points than quite a few of the LQ units in short order.

25-Oct-22
Bob or others,, what are your thoughts? ***If they do split up the state into regions, by looking at the timeline of the meetings - which is after we have to apply - will the split (most likely?) come about for 2024?

***Also, do you think they will still entertain the 50% reduction in the non-resident elk tags?

Thanks, Bob

25-Oct-22
They will vote on removing the nr 7250 cap and regions in July 2023, if passed they will vote on region quotas at the annual April season setting meeting. The app change period goes till May so you can alter hunt areas but you won't be able to switch draws ie; regular to special. This proposal is coming from the task force and as such will carry weight with the commission, most of whom have little idea of the overall scope of res/nr hunting/drawing tags.

The task force will discuss the proposed 50/50 regular/special allocations at their next meeting.

The TRW Committee is meeting toay to discuss the task force recommendation to raise Special tag pricing. They are asking for $1948 for elk and $1198 for deer and antelope. The draft bill will be considered by the TRW Committee for sponsorship during the next regular session in 2023.

25-Oct-22

WapitiBob's Link
TRW live meeting

25-Oct-22
Holy smokes! That's ridiculous. Combined with the price of gas and food, you could almost buy a low end guided hunt for that. That'll probably finish off my interest in WY. I'll burn my points in the next couple of years and be done. Getting pretty tired of them treating NR like crap. This shouldn't be a rich man's game.

25-Oct-22
I'm listening to the livecast, Bob. Thanks. Did they say why they are raising the price? Is there a legit need or just because they can?

25-Oct-22
The task force did it to create a pseudo outfitter draw, assuming their clients would pay the higher special price and the regular folk wouldn't.

Bill just passed the TRW committee. Amendment to raise the big 5 prices failed but it'll be taken up by the task force in Nov.

25-Oct-22
Did they / are they going to raise the regular NR elk tag price?

25-Oct-22
No, there was an amendment to raise all NR prices and another to raise the big 5, both failed but the big 5 increases will be brought up at the nov task force meeting and likely pass from what I saw.

26-Oct-22

Cazador's Link
Go to 54:20................. They are going to milk this as far as they can take it.

26-Oct-22
Question, never hunted Wyoming before. I have 9 points for elk. Where should I apply? What should I expect the license cost to be? I’ve only hunted Montana before.

26-Oct-22
Probably start by starting another thread rather than taking this one off on a tangent.

26-Oct-22
Good point, Ty

29-Oct-22
Find a partner and apply for general licenses with a 4,5 point average.

29-Oct-22
I’d say your chances are low. Point creep doesn’t usually creep backwards. I’d be comfortable that I’d draw with 5 points.

29-Oct-22
We hunted a general area this year, had a great hunt and now a friend of a friend with 14 points wants to split points so we can go back to the same area. As much as I want to go back, I would feel bad splitting his points, but if somebody has 8 or 9 let me know ha!

29-Oct-22
Caz your experience in the area is a fair trade for his points. When opportunity knocks, go for it!

29-Oct-22
Caz - If I was you, I could do that with a clear conscience. I split points with a lower point holder this year and have ZERO regrets. I didn’t have 14 points, but with that said, in reality your experience is probably worth a lot more than the points.

29-Oct-22
I can agree with experience probably does = some points burned but man, 14? In saying that, WY is BIG! Real big! Nobody is giving free info/lunch these days and the size of the bulls we were into was insane. I'm still in awe of one we almost got. I can't even put a number on him, just big. They just don't get any better. Knowing what I know now, there is a lot I would do different on timing etc. which I think takes a hunt or two in WY to understand. I guess that = .75 pts.

29-Oct-22
In regards to points, it doesn't matter if you accumulated them by general or special, they are all the same, correct?

29-Oct-22
Yes Toddy. Points are species specific but a point for that species is a point. Doesn’t matter which draw you apply for.

29-Oct-22
Thought so, thanks Greg!

30-Oct-22
I could understand your apprehension on burning someone else's points, Caz. For whatever reason, the hunt isn't as good next year and you feel like a heel.

TODDY, there's no accumulating points by not drawing in the special or regular. You have to purchase them well after the draw starting in July.

30-Oct-22
Exactly Midwest. Also don’t know what exactly is expected. Do I hunt with said person the whole time? I’m the caller until he kills? A lot of unknowns I guess.

• Sitka Gear