APauls's embedded Photo
Out of the IP and on the smoker.
APauls's embedded Photo
Out of the IP and on the smoker.
APauls's embedded Photo
Boneless Ribs!
APauls's embedded Photo
Boneless Ribs!
I theorized and tried something new. I'm the only one in my family that eats shanks, so there's a lot of them and not a ton of times I am eating by myself. My thought was that shank meat is actually similar in flavour and make up to ribs. Could it be cooked the same? I did the following because I wanted them ready for lunch.

I cut it into boneless pieces, put on a rub, and threw them in an Instant Pot and pressure cooked for 45 mins. at about 9am. Once ready, pulled them from there, gave them another rub and threw them in the GMG to smoke. Gave em about an hour and half of smoke, applied some sauce, then smoked another half hour. All at about 200. Pulled them from there and left em in a cooler for an hour before lunch.

Honestly, it was tremendous. I had put an elk and whitetail shank in, and problem was the elk never thawed long enough and was partially frozen still when it entered the Instant Pot. Never broke down enough so it was still a little tough. I imagine that if a guy wanted to you could do the whole process in the smoker. But give it a looooooot of time to break down. I don't know if you're like me but I love that collagen flavour or whatever that is.

Was just a different way to make shank and I think it's a winner. Thought I'd share. One package of 2017 shank never got used. Looked a little freezer burnt :(

28-Oct-22
That looks great and thanks for sharing the recipe with us. I will definitely give it a try.

I do my whitetail shanks and ribs together in the crockpot on low for 8 hours with some beef broth, veggies and seasoning. This is after I quick sear all sides in the cast iron. Everything falls off the bone and there is no waxiness that is sometimes associated with ribs.

28-Oct-22
Sounds good, Adam!

I might try to smoke some shanks for a couple hours then sous vide for a couple days before throwing on a hot charcoal grill to brown and sauce.

28-Oct-22

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
I finished my last shanks early in the week, so I did something similar to what you did, only I used a couple of small Pot Roasts .

Rubbed it good then into the smoker for three hours, then into the crockpot for another four. Lastly they went on a very hot BBQ, with sauce for about forty minutes.

The flavour was very good, but it was too long on the barby. Made a (too) hard crust in the outside.

28-Oct-22
That's art.

29-Oct-22
man does that look excellent

• Sitka Gear