drycreek 02-Nov-22
pav 02-Nov-22
pav 02-Nov-22
Rickm 02-Nov-22
29-Oct-22

Murph's embedded Photo
Murph's embedded Photo

Murph's Link
It’s hard to put into words what a great friend/hunting partner means.. I haven’t had that many in my years just been loyal as hell to a few, and just recently realized the loyalty that one had toward me… As many of you know him “beav” got eyes on a solid mule buck I sealed the deal for access but he never wavered having seen the deer multiple times. He was consistent in that we would pursue the buck together and I would have first crack, seemed odd a little to me but I did not argue I knew he would have a plan and he did. We stuck to it like a script never missed a beat one behind the other thinking and moving like one, and at the end of it all I had a trophy buck, but most importantly I have a friend that would stand at the gates of hell with me, fighting anyone or anything, and would endure great loss for my success.. I don’t know what your friends mean to you all but words can’t describe what mine mean to me!!!

30-Oct-22
Ya got a good one for sure, Murph! One of mine will be headed up to my place later this week, to chase whitetails, break bread, and hopefully decompress from some of his struggles from this past year. True friends are pretty rare and an incredible blessing. Dandy mulie, as well. Congrats!

FYI……I can’t get your link to open.

30-Oct-22
Ain’t enough money on earth to buy a true hunting buddy Lewis

30-Oct-22
Being 60 now I couldn't agree more. There was a time I coveted my properties and wanted a great buck every year. It doesn't mean much anymore. I would hunt on lesser properties with my hunting buddies , one being my son, everyday to have the fellowship they have given. Good men.

30-Oct-22
Awesome post. Thank you

30-Oct-22
Priceless.

30-Oct-22
Agreed 100% The only thing I'll add or change would be the hunting specific aspects of it.

30-Oct-22
Good friends are hard to find, but once you find them you know. Nice buck, and it doesn’t surprise me that Beav did what he did, he’s one of the good ones. Congrats!

30-Oct-22
The only "great" friends I had in life have passed on. Be glad you still have yours.

30-Oct-22
That man is salt of the earth!!! Congrats again Jim!!! Hunt

30-Oct-22
Great stuff. Nothing like good hunting buddies.

30-Oct-22
A good hunting buddy is something to cherish... Several years ago I had a friend " come out of the closet", on a hunt. This guy is known and has alot of many animals around the world in the books.

What a great guy to hunt with. When he opened up to me, I said to him ,,, Your true friends, will always be your friends, and those who choose now not to be your friends, were never your friends in the first place....

01-Nov-22
Thanks for the kind words Murph! It was a great day!!!!

01-Nov-22
Great stuff, and I wasn't at all surprised to see Beav's name associated with it Murph! Tons of great hunting buddies on this site, a man is truly rich when he counts them as friends. Congrats on a great mule deer buck!

01-Nov-22
Beav, indeed it was one for the memories, just curious any of that buffalo trace left?

01-Nov-22
Beav is as generous as any hunter alive. He also raised a couple of great kids who have similar values. Well done, both of you guys!

01-Nov-22
I envy those of you with good hunting partners. None of my friends hunt serisouly, maybe opening day of gun deer season thats about it. No one in my family hunts either and for the most part none of my Co workers. So for me it has been hard to learn certain aspects of hunting or haven't had a hunting partner to travel with.

I have managed to go on some great guided hunts at least and on the ones outside the country my wife has come along and enjoyed the travel.

Don't want to sound like a whiner, just trying to point out those of you that do have good hunting pals enjoy the time in the field with them.

02-Nov-22
My best hunting buddy is Jeff (ElkMtnGear). We have elk hunted together since 2013, along with a few deer and bear hunts mixed in as well. Sometimes I can be a jerk when I get irritated about something dumb, but we work it out quickly. Couldnt ask for a better one! He killed his first whitetail at my place in SC a couple weeks ago. Had a good time hunting with him in Wyoming this year for elk too.

02-Nov-22
Agree, a good hunting buddy is hard to find and hugely valuable. I fortunately found one about 20 years ago. We’ve minted many places and have more scheduled. And my son is his back up, but he’s still working and I’m retired so he can’t go as much.

02-Nov-22

02-Nov-22

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Back at ya, KHNC!

Kenny is one of the few people I've hunted with, that works harder than I do! Couldn't ask for a better hunting Buddy, and he puts up with me, when I do stupid things! Took care of everything in S.C., when I hunted his Whitetail Properties the last couple years.

P.S. Whitetail does are a**holes! Had one completely duck my arrow at 40yds!!!

Had to resort to the boomstick, to put one down a couple weeks ago!

02-Nov-22

drycreek's embedded Photo
My best friend and one of his goats
drycreek's embedded Photo
My best friend and one of his goats
Agree with all of the above. I have about three good friends that I hunt with. Two of them are on a lease with me and two more younger guys. My best friend I’ve known for 30 years or so, he used to work at a brick planr that I did lots of work for. We met as business associates but quickly became friends and that has morphed into a close friendship in the last twenty years. We hunt together, fish together, trade dinners, and just generally act like brothers. When we hunted pronghorn several times in Wyoming, knowing that rapid field dressing and icing the meat is a priority in warm weather, each of us was ready to stop hunting and help the other prep an animal and get it on ice. We did that everal times as we were in one vehicle and that’s where the ice chests were and the ice, it just made good sense to both jump on the field dressing and quartering chore, but a lot of guys wouldn’t be eager to put their hunt on hold to do it. It’s the same at home. Yesterday we had some last minute chores to do on our lease and we spent all day doing them. We are retired, the other three guys still work, so it falls to us old farts to do almost everything there is to do. We’re slow, but dependable !

02-Nov-22
I was pushing 30 when I found a great hunting partner. His mother calls me the son she never knew she had. Our tight bond lasted almost 30 years...and I'll always be grateful fot the times we had.

Eight years ago, his wife passed. Three years later, he remarried. His life has totally changed since and our friendship has taken a hard back seat. Things will never be the same.

Good news is, after 15 years, my son moved back to our hometown in 2020, and he is ate up with bowhunting. One chapter closes...another begins.

02-Nov-22
BTW, Beav, you ARE the man!!!

02-Nov-22
It's a small circle for most of us. I have 2 or guys that I can call on for a once in a lifetime tag or will call me for help. All you need is 2 or 3 real buddy's. Glad you found one!

• Sitka Gear