bowhunt 01-Nov-22
bowhunt 01-Nov-22
Missouribreaks 01-Nov-22
Highlife 01-Nov-22
ahunter76 01-Nov-22
t-roy 01-Nov-22
midwest 02-Nov-22
31-Oct-22
Did a regional 3D tourney marked yardage yesterday....and its been many years since I attended one besides the informal Monday night shoots our club puts on.

Holy smokes....the 4' stabilizer guys drove me bonkers. It was only slightly better than waiting in line for DMV in the hot sun.

We had a couple targets where we were backed up 20 min due to the slow target shooters in front of us. One full on scope guy drew and let down 4 times, Readjusted his stuff, stopped and called for an umbrella or something to shade him on the shot....all in all it might have been 10 minutes to shoot 2 arrows.

I forgot how long some of these tourneys can drone on. If thats your thing and you use it as your social hour...then fine, my bad- have at it- but no more of those teeth pullers for me.

I bailed 1/2 way through at the cold hot dog snack shack, stopped for a quality Deli sandwich on the way home and watched the 49ers kick the Rams butts. I hate quitting anything...but damn if I didn't have a big smile on my face watching that game. So go ahead and lay into me you Tourney shooters...I probably deserve it...

>>>> if you are a club officer that has some clout....my advice is to keep these shoots moving. I'm a bit surprised with som many older folks shooting these there aren't more medical events.

31-Oct-22
Some organizations have a fixed shooting time. Hit the stake, you have two minutes. I'd needle those guys, tell them how impressive they manage to make their target panic look >;-)

31-Oct-22

ahunter76's embedded Photo
I love shooting tournaments BUT I shy away from the 3Ds. 30-40 arrows in 3-4 hours is not for me.. A 90 arrow 900 round is under 3 & a 112 arrow 28 target field is about the same. I can't get in "competition mode" at 3ds & when we shoot them, it's for fun, with family & score means nothing. I don't even turn in my card. Indoor 300s & 450s fun too.

31-Oct-22
Sounds like every 3D tournament I shot in over 20 years ago. So what’s the point?

Matt

31-Oct-22
Shot my last one (also my first one) in the 1990’s and took up watching paint dry as a more interesting and less time-intensive past time.

01-Nov-22
You should try a TAC event. Took us 6.5 hours for 25 shots 2 years ago.

01-Nov-22
Lot of time difference between a 'local' 3D shoot and a big shoot like IBO or ASA. Can do the local league shoots around here in under 3 hours, bigger shoots, figure 5-6.

01-Nov-22
"We had a couple targets where we were backed up 20 min due to the slow target shooters in front of us".

Exactly why my Wife and I quit shooting the Bigger Tournaments several years ago. Especially the 3D Nationals up here in NorCal, it has become absolutely ridiculous (something like 1700 shooters, over 3 long, miserable days).

01-Nov-22
Redding was my last one.

01-Nov-22
Lot of fine looking athletes at that shoot ahunter76!

01-Nov-22
Too each there own :-) Some people golf on the weekends, I shoot 3D and plan to make a day of it :-) Don't get me wrong, yes, some guys are super slow, and it does tend to drag on, but in my neck of the woods those guys are the top scorers as well.

01-Nov-22
For local shoots we would always just jump ahead and go back to the backed up targets. Obviously I didn't take it too seriously.

01-Nov-22

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo
Around here (central MA) we have plenty of 3D from March thru September. Regional leagues in MA, plus shoots in CT and other nearby states. Plus ASA holds 4 in spring and summer. I have a choice of 2 or three most weekends. (When 'my' club isn't hosting.)

01-Nov-22
I love shooting 3ds you can ask to shoot through also if it's a sanctioned event ask for a range official be surprised how all of a sudden things start moving along.

01-Nov-22
Redding, eh Bob……its been decades since I shot Redding.

I should backpeddle a bit here, when I was competing I enjoyed shooting the big shoots. Yeah, they were slow even way back when but it was the only way to measure my shooting against top competitors….and I accepted it.

Now, I shoot to improve my accuracy in the field.

So after bashing tourneys, I might shoot Maya ( Stickbow Classic) in Roseville this weekend. Ive shot it in the past and that one moves along pretty good. They used to have a shot from a canoe in a creek ( no water now) and they have a flying goose that is fun to shoot.

01-Nov-22
Sean you are great!

If guys could practice a couple hours and clean a course everyone would be tied for first place:)

The smaller shoots are a lot of fun. I used to do a lot of them. The guys that act like they are pro’s can really slow down a shoot.

A favorite 3D shoot memory was when me and two my two buddies with our hunting bows got teamed up with three of the “pro shooter” type of guys at the Bend super shoot. We out shot them, and you could tell all their blood pressure was through the roof. At the beginning of the shoot they kept wanting to shoot first so they wouldn’t be distracted by our arrows in target instead of rotating who goes first. They really lost it when we would shoot their arrows if one was in the 12 ring. We suggested we just rotate who goes first line normal after on guy had a serious meltdown.

Fund day!

01-Nov-22
TAC is where it's at. Super fun and great practice!

01-Nov-22
I have never shot in any kind of organized shooting event. Frankly I've just never had the interest.

After reading this I won't :) It sounds like playing slow golf. I HATE golf. It's so mind-numbingly boring. :)

01-Nov-22
Sean I just said they were the “pro shooter” type of guys. Not that they were pro’s. Didn’t talk to them that much with the attitude they had.

Huge stabilizers, scopes, little hand held computers to adjust the clicks in the sight to adjust for yardage, binoculars to see exactly where 10 ring was on every target even if it was 20 yards ect. Nothing wrong with that either.

My buddies and I shot a Vegas league and animal target league every week year round at the time, then another few days a week minimum outdoors the when the weather was decent and days longer. We shot A Lot with our hunting bows & I think the best me or my two buddies would shoot in a indoor Vegas 3 spot target league was around 292-294 average.

I do t recall any one ever cleaning the course at the bend super shoot in central Oregon.

I notice a huge difference in my shooting between 3-5 days a week, and only 1 day a week. It’s just not that easy.

01-Nov-22
Bake if you have any smaller local 3D shoots near you it is really a lot of fun. I have been paired up with people from all over the place on some shoots, or sometimes you just shoot with a buddy or two.

Everyone I recall ever shooting with was really nice and fun to meet with the exception of the guys in the story I posted above.

01-Nov-22
I quit wasting my time about 25 years ago, only an occasional all traditional shoot these days.

01-Nov-22
And yet people ask why and bemoan that the clubs are dying

01-Nov-22

Brotsky-those were Seniors (over 60) & Master Seniors (over 70) & still shooting 90 arrows in about 3 hours (30 from each 60-50-40 yrds). Their pretty good too.

01-Nov-22
I used to go to quite a few shoots, back in the 80s and early 90s. Mostly local tournaments. It was a lot of fun, shooting with some buddies. Even more fun when some cocky wanna-be pro would get his clock cleaned. Moved back home in ‘97, and haven’t gone to one since. Too many other priorities, I guess. I need to go to one of the TAC shoots, one of these years. All the guys I know, that have gone, say it is a blast.

02-Nov-22
Next year, Troy!

• Sitka Gear