MA-PAdeerslayer 05-Nov-22
ryanrc 05-Nov-22
Glowplug 05-Nov-22
Glowplug 05-Nov-22
Corax_latrans 06-Nov-22
fuzzy 06-Nov-22
Zbone 07-Nov-22
02-Nov-22
My nephew called me yesterday and asked if I had heard anything about a pack of timber wolves going after a hunter in northern Crow Wing County, MN. **that is where I live!!!!!!!!!!

He said he heard over his scanner the dispatcher sending a Conservation Officer to someplace to meet a hunter who had a pack of T. wolves attack him - he shot and killed the lead wolf and the others scattered.

They did not dispatch the first responders or an ambulance so he must not have been injured.

I will continue to try to confirm the info.

*****On a side note: a couple weeks ago I shot a pretty good buck behind my place. (I'll post a couple pics in a bit - I'll try to get some of the wolves but that camera is a cheapo and the night pics are really grainy). When the buck entered my food plot he walked in front of my trail cam.

A brief synopsis of the incident: I shot him - he ran about 100 yards and tipped over. I walked home got my ATV and trailer, put my stuff away - went back - gutted him out - home and hung him in my garage. It was well after dark by the time I finished gutting him. GUESS I BETTER START CARRYING FROM NOW ON!!!!!!

I knew he walked past my trail cam, so I went out and pulled the chip. The time stamp said he passed the cam at 1848 hrs. I looked at the next couple pics - smaller buck at 2115 hrs...... THEN *****5 timber wolves time stamped at 2318 hrs. They ran in circles triggering my camera 3 times them off on the blood trail. I went out later that day and there was not even a minute trace of the gut pile --- not even the (normally left behind) green stomach slime!

02-Nov-22
I'm having issues getting pics to post - will keep trying.

03-Nov-22
interested in hearing if it's true I'm a bit skeptical at this point, 30 yrs in Montana 5 hear in Wisconsin come across hundreds of wolves while both hunting and hiking never had 1,try and attack us wonder if he sustained any injuries

03-Nov-22
Haven't seen anything in this. There was a confirmed attack in MN in 2013.

03-Nov-22
Sounds like he wasn't actually attacked. Allegedly shot a wolf to prevent an attack. Which I support completely!

03-Nov-22
Several years ago near Silver Bay, Mn there was a problem wolf taken out by a state trapper. It was very bold & was commonly seen around town. My buddy saw it on the road & they stopped to take a picture of it at close range. It followed them around the car several times until they got back in. It was running after 2 young girls on a 4 wheeler trying to jump at them the day before the agent took it out.

03-Nov-22
Glad that possible wolf attack was thwarted. Too bad this canine attack in Tennessee was not. Two toddlers not so lucky…killed by a pair of "designer pitbulls" whatever the heck that means.

Two young children are dead and their mother suffered major injuries after two family dogs attacked a baby and toddler at their West Tennessee home.

The mauling took place outside of the family's Memphis-area home on Thursday, the Shelby County Sheriff's Office reported.

Kirstie Bennard, 30, suffered critical injuries when she tried to intervene in the attack on her 5-month-old boy, Hollace Dean, and 2-year-old girl, Lilly Jane, family and police said.

03-Nov-22
Wow Bou, that's terrible! Hopefully the dog owners get charged big time!

Made some calls, still can't confirm the incident. My nephew is truthful, so I believe him.

About 8 or 9 years ago we had a timber wolf causing issues right here in town. Warden contacted us, said to shoot it if possible. We all spent a bunch of time in the area hoping to be the one to shoot it. Warden came in and shot it.

Couple years prior to that we had a timber causing a big stir - was seen by multiple people all over town. I saw it several times - it had absolutely no fear of humans. It took an elderly ladies dog off her front porch. Came back the next night and tried to get her other one. She was heartbroken - those dogs were like her children to her. I went over and took the report, met with the local warden who contacted the federal trapper. The trapper got it the next night just off her driveway. Big male in good health.

04-Nov-22
Maybe Timber Wolf, maybe not. I have been seeing them off and on for over 40 years. Was encircled by a curious pack in Morrison Co. in 1978 when they supposedly didn't live there. Back in the 1980s a woman and her son were attacked along a major highway around Wyoming or Forest Lake after she ditched the van traying to avoid a deer. The deer was being chased by a pack of Feral dogs. They grabbed her boy tried to take him into the woods. Mom and boy were saved when another vehicle drove up horns blaring and scatted the pack.A short time later, locals took it into their own hands with ATVs, horses, motorcycles, etc. to track and eliminate the pack, which they did. Over the years I have interviewed a few folks who were there to verify the story.

Fast forward to just recently a few wolves from the research center captive pack escaped. Some killed by cars and firearms as aI recall. I have been in that pen would have been much more concerned about the dog pack than a curious or confused Timber wolf. That said, wolves don't just take the old and sick as the bunny huggers nature fakers believe. They are opportunists, are a very formidable predator. For some reason most Timber wolves still have that fear of humans; European Red, Mexican wolves and most coyotes don't. Has to be someone's Master thesis surrounding that question.

04-Nov-22
Tony ;"Maybe Timber Wolf, maybe not."

I was texting with DNR officer - yes it was a timber wolf. I sent in for the data release information. I will post it up when I get it back.

04-Nov-22

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Honestly I'm not scared of wolves but people talk about them like they've never killed anyone which is flat out wrong. Once you really start digging there are quite a few records of wolves killing people. Heck, my cousin went to find a bear he killed and he took a shotgun in case it was wounded. Came into a wolf pack and he shot 3 of them as they surrounded him and came by from multiple angles in the timber. Many northern people have similar accounts.

But this story from Manitoba takes the cake. Poor guy, but he was one tough hombre. Guy shot 7 and clubbed 4 to death before they got him. What's interesting is that they don't quit sometimes.

04-Nov-22

APauls's embedded Photo
Another good one.
APauls's embedded Photo
Another good one.

04-Nov-22
“For some reason most Timber wolves still have that fear of humans; European Red, Mexican wolves and most coyotes don't. Has to be someone's Master thesis surrounding that question.”

I guess it depends on the coyote.

Historically in NA, predators that crossed paths with humans got killed. Native people and settlers here were all armed, and you can’t deny that wolves have historically had a bad reputation which encouraged people to want to kill them on sight.

Now that they are protected, they are learning that they needn’t fear us. And once a predator stops being afraid, they get curious.

Most animals classify other animals as either Food or Foe. I would rather be on the Foe list.

04-Nov-22
Glad he made it thru without being harmed. So sad about the babies killed, heartbreaking. Seems I read of a case in Canada years back where a pack of coyotes killed a young woman.

05-Nov-22
If coyotes kill people, have no doubt a pack of wolves would/could kill a person...

05-Nov-22
Those stories from Adam are real Jack London stuff, to be sure!

But it reminds me of an old joke… May be call it a shaggy dog story… The story was that a trapper was telling a tenderfoot about how he had killed a 1,000 pound moose and was being chased by a pack of 2 dozen ravenous for wolves on his dog sled. He hmew he didn’t have enough ammo to kill them all, so he kept tossing off pieces of moose meat from the sled, both to lighten the load and to give the wolves something to distract them. But eventually he ran out of moose meat, and began cutting loose the dogs in his sled team, which were immediately devoured by the wolves.

Down to his last dog and with the Wolfpack still in pursuit, he started shooting the wolves, which were immediately devoured by their pack mates as they fell.

Then they resumed their pursuit.

Finally, he was down to his last shell with two wolves to go.

“Well, what happened then??? begged the tenderfoot.

“Well… You know… There were about two dozen wolves that ate that moose, and then they ate my dogs, and then they ate each other… So those last two wolves had eaten about 3 or 4 thousand pounds of meat that day and all they really wanted at that point was a little whiskey to wash it down…

05-Nov-22
Good one Corax.

05-Nov-22
That’s a riot!

05-Nov-22
Bou x2

05-Nov-22
On life below zero a pack tried to attack Glenn. He shot a few but the rest kept coming. He was able to retreat into his cabin for safety. Had he not had the cabin nearby he would likely have been killed.

05-Nov-22
We have 12 packs in our watershed here, and 3 different packs that travel through and around our ranch/pasture ground. I am trying to trap them but can only do it on my own ground now, or get permission from The Nature Conservancy. I hunt them each year too, from Sept to March. They have followed me while hunting and peed in my tracks, stalked me while riding, watched me haying, sat and watched my house at night, dug at the dog kennel, gotten in my horse pastures, scratched at my chicken pens and walked through the yard under Christmas lights. Elk and deer numbers fluctuate here, but there is always [wild] game for these wolves. The ones here think they are the dominant predator. They are wrong. Some in the backcountry are spooky, but most I have encountered, seen and have on game cams don't care about my scent. Good luck wherever you all are. Bear spray, traps, bullets, wildlife reports and woven wire fencing topped (inside) and bottomed (on the outside) with barbwire are the only things I have found that work to keep them at bay. As well as an ill-thrown pitchfork accompanied by yelling...

05-Nov-22
Hey everyone, my apologies if I crossed a line with my trap photo. I know this isn't a trapping site. I was just sharing my thoughts on wolves from the MN post. I hope I didn't offend anyone! I had tried to post one of my wolf pics but they wouldn't load. Take care!

06-Nov-22
Just FTR…

I don’t recall exactly where I first came across that story, and I’m sure that it wasn’t an original then, but I think I did tweak the punchline a little bit. If only because I couldn’t remember what it was in the version that I read… ;)

Call it my contribution to the November funnies ;)

06-Nov-22
There are some good wolf attack stories attached to soldiers in the European theater in WW 1

07-Nov-22
So at this point, have determined the Little Red Riding Hood and Three Little Piggies stories are true...8^)))

• Sitka Gear