APauls 03-Nov-22
Catscratch 03-Nov-22
Shuteye 03-Nov-22
spike78 03-Nov-22
BowSniper 03-Nov-22
redquebec 03-Nov-22
Hunts_with_stick 03-Nov-22
03-Nov-22
So my property is a field in the front, woods in the back. I Norma just hunt afternoons, but I want to hunt all day. Do I go early (dark)and drive through the field where I normally park and possibly push any deer off and then go to my stand, or do I wait until first light and make sure there aren’t any deer in the field before I drive down to the woods. Those are the only two options. No other way for me to get there.

03-Nov-22
I believe pushing them off with a truck is better than on foot. With that said I wait until it's light enough to glass and make sure I'm not spooking anything. Have done both methods. Glassing has resulted in better long term hunting for me.

03-Nov-22
I would wait until first light. I see more mature bucks running around at 8,9,10 am this time of year than I do at first light. Your going to bust doe's out in the field (that may have a mature buck harassing them), the doe is going to leave the area while blowing at you for 10 minutes. I have similar situation on my properties.

03-Nov-22
OK, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. I've never had to worry about that type of situation until this year!

03-Nov-22
Not really “actionable,” but I think it depends on the characteristics of the local deer. In a particular area that I’m familiar with, can drive through food plots, bump any deer present, and they’ll be back in five minutes. The young ones, anyway.

03-Nov-22
I'd wait for it to be clear. But watch wind direction going in it can't be blowing towards where you think they are at that time.

03-Nov-22
Trucks are kind of like trail cameras; some deer will practically pose for one, while others turn inside out to avoid one. I've watched deer step out of the way so the rancher could feed cattle and then bolt when they hear a different truck a mile down the highway. Spooking them off the field with a truck may work and it may not work. It may appear to work as does filter back in but in reality the buck you want may go completely nocturnal the 2nd time you do it. My hunting assumption is that every single time I pressure deer it makes my odds of success less.

03-Nov-22
I would drive to the parking spot an hour before first light and be in the stand before light. Did that for many years. A vehicle doesn't scare deer nearly as much as being on foot.

03-Nov-22
Why drive through and not walk? If possible I’d also walk on the inside edge of the woods.

03-Nov-22
I always thought the ultimate plan would be driving out for evening hunt and then staying all night in the stand.

In the morning you would already be behind them without making a sound!!

It would be physically and mentally hard, but worth it at least once. :-)

03-Nov-22
I have the same problem and over the past 5 years I have kept a journal of deer encounters both good and bad. Right now the evidence seems to point strongly towards the " If I spook a bunch of does/deer in the dark because of sight or smell, then when the sun comes up and through most of the morning I see almost no deer."

If I get in without incident, then I see deer all morning. It's pretty clear. The question is why are they in the field or the perimeter before light on some mornings and not at all on some mornings, they appear in the first hour of light? I haven't patterned that one yet and I don't use trail cams at all so....wish me luck on figuring it out.

03-Nov-22
Great data red. TY

• Sitka Gear