Groundhunter 07-Nov-22
Bigdog 21 11-Nov-22
fuzzy 13-Nov-22
fuzzy 14-Nov-22
jjs 14-Nov-22
Buckdeer 14-Nov-22
Newhunter1 14-Nov-22
05-Nov-22
Hey, I am at week two with 3 broken ribs, 7, 8 and 9 on my R side. Got kicked by a horse that was spooked by a moose. I am right handed and use a 257 Roberts for bears, wolves, elk and deer. I don't want to miss hunting season and am wondering about getting a crossbow, but what would a command or recurve recoil be like compared to the Roberts? Any thoughts? Thanks!

05-Nov-22
This is not a crossbow site. With that said. I don't think crossguns have recoil like a rifle. If anything what recoil there is going forward as that is the way the limbs move at least on most xguns.

Hope you heal fast and get back to hunting the way you like.

05-Nov-22
I haven't noticed any recoil from my Mission compound crossbow.

05-Nov-22
I was not say I am anti crossgun. I have got no problem with them what so ever as long as they are used during rifle season where they belong. Which is what this gentleman appears to want to do. My main point is most guys on this site are bowhunters and not crossgun hunter.

05-Nov-22
Sorry all - I am not good online, and for some reason 'crossbow recoil' comes up synonymous with archery information and not a lot on rifle sites. But I thought I would give it a shot. No pun intended.. All I want to do is hunt this year and I thought a crossbow might be easier on my ribs that my rifle..

05-Nov-22
If you can get it loaded I don't think you have anything to worry about. Unless you get one that has the has the automatic loader, pulling one back I'd think would be rough on broken ribs. Good luck hope you kill something.

05-Nov-22

05-Nov-22
Thanks - good info. I am trying to research all the tips I can get! if I had a rest, I wonder if I could load with my left hand. I will look into auto loaders; sounds like Star Wars to me! I hope you have luck this year, too, if you rifle hunt, but I hope your bow season went well, too. I have an old recurve that I try and shoot coyotes with.

05-Nov-22
Not much recoil at all. My 7 year old son could hit the bulls eye at 20 yards every time.

05-Nov-22
Sounds good to me. Thankyou!

05-Nov-22
There is no recoil from a crossbow. The forward motion of the bolt, limbs (recurve), string, cams (compound) will have a tendency move the crossbow forward, much like when shooting a bow.

Archers don't suffer from their arm being in compression at the release of the arrow...

06-Nov-22
No recoil at all how do I know I shot my wife’s Excalibur helping her sight it in Good luck Lewis

06-Nov-22
The few times I've fired a crossbow, recoil does not exist. A bit of hand shock like shooting an early tech, untuned compound. The worst was 11.5 pound trigger pull. Good grief... Much easier to shoot my late model 85% let-off compound with a trigger release.

06-Nov-22
The Robert's is very light recoil for the kill power but crossbow isn't even in the same room. Think. 22 wmr

06-Nov-22
How are you gonna cock it tho?

06-Nov-22
No recoil but cocking it would be a problem. They do have some models that have battery power to cock it. My Ravin has a wind up mechanism to cock it. and that works well. Try one in the shop before buying one.

06-Nov-22
As an aside, what loads are you using in the Bob for the big stuff. I am a new Bob owner.

06-Nov-22
"This is not a crossbow site. " True, it's a political free for all site. ;-)

06-Nov-22
I tried a crossbow, no recoil, little hand shock, loud, takes some work to cock it even with the cocking rope. Bulky, clumsy, miserable, I hated it. Donated it to a group that helps handicap hunters. That was my experience, and opinion, not trying to rain on your parade. If it were my only option to hunt, I'd get over it and deal with it.

06-Nov-22
Good morning and thank you all for this insight. I will be headed to town in the coming week for X-rays (haha) and to snoop around the sportsman stores. I so love to hear the experiences and ideas. I just want to heal correctly and hunt, too. For the Roberts I use 117 grain, but my longest kill shot is only 350 yards. (I hunt by myself.) Have taken elk, bears and deer with it. I was also thinking of wearing my impact vest while just taking my rifle out. (from jumping horses when I was young.) I am sure looking forward to getting out one way or another. I can always hunt wolves until Mar and spring bear - I plan on being 100% by then for sure! Thank you all and good luck!

06-Nov-22
Crossbows are so bulky and heavy. I really think you would be better off with your idea to wear your impact vest and deal with the momentary discomfort of the Roberts recoil. Held tight into the shoulder I don't think it will put much pressure on the lower ribs and you won't actually be pulling the trigger that often.

BTW, I don't think you need to say "only" when talking about 350 yard shots.

06-Nov-22
Where are you finding .257 pills? Heaviest I've come up with are 117 and 120 grain

06-Nov-22
I have a 10 point nitro X and it has the crank in the stock to draw it back. It will hold a group on a tennis ball at 50 yards if you do your part. The trigger pull is long but smooth. There really is no recoil, just a little jump/push. You have to use expandables on a fast X bow to be accurate. They are a little heavy and clumsy to carry but will serve your purpose superbly.

Disclaimer: I also have various rifles/pistols and muzzle loaders and still love my compound so it's just a matter of what tool I want to use for the job. Good Luck out there all.

06-Nov-22
Pills? Dang, I was wrong, just checked my boxes. 117 Federal and Hornady, 162 for the 7mm. Don't know why I have 175 grain in my head, maybe I was dreaming of yards and crossbows as I look out the window. If the snow clears up I will head out and try my vest. Will also do some snooping around town for crossbows when I get there next. Good luck to you all, too - So appreciate the tips, thoughts and such. 'Only' comes from around here, the trend is 'thousand yard shots'; not for me - I want to see it with my eyes, gauge it with my eyes, then shoot straight and get the horses/mules to it and packed out by dark. Too much timber where I go to see further anyway! Haha!

06-Nov-22
That makes more sense. The 117 grs I mean. That's a good deer bullet for the Bob

06-Nov-22
Good everything bullet for me, Fuzz. The 117. Cow at 350, 4x5 muley at 235, more around 200, boar at 210 downhill, dry sow 200, and then the little whiteys 200 and less. I just like it because I can travel so far riding with it in my scabbord or just wearing it and snowshoeing. And it is accurate to me. I admire the big guns and archery hunters. I grew up with a 243 and shot my first elk with that.

06-Nov-22
Dont apologize for using a legal weapon. If people dont like it they can take it up with the lawmakers. Unlike some on here im a proud ravin crossbow hunter. No recoil, hand crank is easy & you can shoot 2" groups at 50+ yards. I can shoot 40yards with my compound & never shoot over 50 with my crossbow. Yes it alittle easier but for me it's not a huge advantage when it comes to distance.

06-Nov-22
never checked but are cross bows legal in Montana for hunting lived there 30 yrs and never bothered to look as I'm not a crossbow /firearm hunter

06-Nov-22

Glowplug's embedded Photo
bed on the ridge this afternoon.
Glowplug's embedded Photo
bed on the ridge this afternoon.
Good question. I have lived here my entire life and yes they are legal for 2022-2023. If crossbows were illegal, I would not consider it. I keep old regs and cross reference each year, mostly to keep track of district changes. We can also use muzzleloaders after rifle, but I only shot black powder in 4h as a kid, not like today. I just rifle hunt (and trap) because I am not sure about my strength pulling back; now with the ribs I don't want to lose my shooting savvy or muscles. 16 degrees right now. Snow will be crunchy. Walking this afternoon putting the horses away 12 elk beds, 6 wolf tracks, scattered deer and 2 moose tracks. Staring at my pack and boots. Thank you again for all your thoughts.

07-Nov-22
I like the 87 grains for groundhogs, the shoot flatter. Too light for deer though

07-Nov-22
I shoot a Ravin R10. Easy to cock. I loss 40 percent usage of my right arm. I shoot lefty so I am lucky, but basically have the use of one hand. No recoil.

Go to Crossbow Forum. That way John MC won't get his underwear in a twist.

07-Nov-22
Having gone through two shoulder surgeries I got a crossbow to hunt with while rehabbing. The worst part of hunting with the crossbow while injured was just carrying that thing around... it was a major pain in the shoulder, but it did keep me in field.

07-Nov-22
Ghost I agree I miss my.finger.on the string Easy to be a sarcastic asshole---, when.you have no issues

11-Nov-22
If the 257 bothers you shooting then trade it for a 243 and be happy.

13-Nov-22
Bigdog no real felt recoil difference btw .257 Bob and .243 Win.

14-Nov-22
Ghostbird, kudos for keeping at it. Enjoy the hunt and keep us posted on your adventures

14-Nov-22
.243 with a Partition Nosler 95 gr. will do a lot of damage with little recoil. Tape/wrap your ribs up and suck it up, going to be painful either way, been down that road in 2020. Was still able to shoot my recurve but can say wasn't pleasant at first, first shot is the most important anyway. Good hunting---

14-Nov-22
Put any of those light recoil guns in something like a lead sled or tripod vise,you could shoot off hand if needed

14-Nov-22
As far as crossbows go...there is zero recoil on all crossbows. My excalibur has a crank that will even let you uncock it. As far as bulky and heavy...Excalibur makes a model called the Mag Air. Specs are 305 fps, 4.9 lbs bare and 6.7 lbs loaded. You can even put a Excalibur charger cocker on it too.

• Sitka Gear