cnelk 08-Nov-22
Cazador 08-Nov-22
cnelk 09-Nov-22
Beendare 09-Nov-22
Cazador 09-Nov-22
DonVathome 12-Nov-22
Mule Power 13-Nov-22
08-Nov-22
I know where I want to go, how hard is it to line up a flight out to the lake I want to land on?

I keep hearing arranging flights can be tough due to waiting lists, but is it the same in a draw area where one doesn’t know if they will draw or not?

08-Nov-22
Yes and no, transporters there also fly hunters for other hunts. Moose hunts fetch some serious coin. ESPECIALLY if they have a good chance at a nice moose. Typically for a transporter you pay to get to a spot with mature moose. A draw permit can produce that so MAYBE prices come down. More importantly for your question, transporters for moose are usually limited by how man good spots they, and only they, can take you too. Not being to busy. For many draw hunts - if you draw and call within 1-2 days you can get a flight.

Much much more importantly if YOU are picking the destination you can find anyone and pay tack time - an hourly price. This is a LOT cheaper then hiring a popular hunting transporter with a great reputation. Depending on where you are going and how many transporters are in that area will dictate how easy it can be to find a transporter. Call now, before the draw to check. Keep in mind if you draw you do NOT have to pay for and take the permit. So if you cannot find a transporter you can simply not go, it happens all the time.

08-Nov-22

cnelk's Link
Since you know where you want to go, you can search transporters for that area here - see link

08-Nov-22
It costs approx $180 to apply for a draw moose area - $160 for a hunting license and $5/unit selected up to 4.

If you draw and can’t go or can’t find a transporter you’re only out the $180.

08-Nov-22
I’ve applied up there a lot have a license out to 2023 or 2024 I’ll have to check, but I’m good on the app piece. Just need a ride.

09-Nov-22
Just because you might find a transporter in the area you applied for doesn’t mean they will take you.

I called my pilot last month and talked to him about this past fall and his moose flights. He said he told lots of people ‘No’. Also said moose numbers / success were down from last winter’s kill.

He told me to call back after he’s done flying moose counts for the AFG - early December - and before the application deadline. He said he’d take me in if I draw

09-Nov-22
Its a crazy system for sure. Many of these pilots have deals amongst themselves not to hunt another guys “spot”.

If you want to hunt a certain lake, how do you know if someone will not beat you to it? Thankfully most of these pilots will not drop you in on top of other hunters.

I’ve had it happen many times where we attempted to fly into one spot but there was already camps there so we had to get dropped in an alternate location.

Plus you’re attempting to just pay a pilot for the flying time. Most of them have figured it out that they can get more money by calling it a package deal. Personally, I don’t blame them. They have a lot of money tied up in plane maintenance and insurance.

09-Nov-22
There are a few lakes around so a backup is surely not out of the question.

The place I'm looking at has/had a tent /hunters on the lake before and I know moose have been killed there so knowing moose, and how much they roam, id suspect that if it’s good moose country, a lake in the vicinity would work.

Some even look better with a large ridge behind them which interests me

12-Nov-22
I agree with everything beendare said. Finding tack time pilots are ideal for you, but difficult. Never found a pilot taking hunters do that. I originally thought any pilot can fly you BUT I think I might be wrong, do pilots have to be registered to fly in hunters? That would significantly reduces your options.

13-Nov-22
I paid Joe Shuster at Sportsmans Air tach time. He has wheels and floats.

• Sitka Gear