StickFlicker 11-Nov-22
TEmbry 11-Nov-22
Bob H in NH 11-Nov-22
DonVathome 15-Nov-22
GhostBird 15-Nov-22
GhostBird 15-Nov-22
Mad Trapper 15-Nov-22
08-Nov-22
Had anyone flown Delta recently with an SKB double case? Curious if you were charged extra for it. In their baggage calculator it was close to $500. Read that some people upgrade to first class and it’s not a problem but have also read first class does not guarantee anything. Shipping is not an option unfortunately. Thanks!

08-Nov-22
I flew this summer with Delta to Johannesburg and back with a SKB double bow case. I was concerned as well. I kept it under 50 lbs and was not charged anything. TSA looked in it but that was it. It arrived with us for the hunt but got home a week after we did. Thats another story. Good luck

08-Nov-22
It’s been a few years, but I flew Delta to JoBerg, Anchorage and a few other places with a SKB double bow case. I put some clothes in with my archery gear, but weighed it at home and kept it to about 47/48 pounds. Never had any issues, or extra fees.

08-Nov-22
I believe it is considered "sporting equipment" so oversize should not be a problem... keep it under 50 lbs.

08-Nov-22
Same as others. I flew Delta in August 2021 to Johanesburg with an SKB double bow case. Kept the weight to about 40 lbs and no issues.

08-Nov-22
You forgot to declare the contents as golf equiment when they as if it contains a firearm. Have a golf glove and rangefinder in the case.

08-Nov-22
Is flying Southwest an option where you are? Never any questions with them and i flew recently in September.

08-Nov-22
I last flew with one 9/21- no problem.

Always keep weight under 50# and note that container is "Sporting Equipment"

08-Nov-22
Sounds good. Thanks for the input.

08-Nov-22
If anybody asks, tell them you’re headed to an archery golf tournament

08-Nov-22
My experience has been not from weight buy size. Over 62 linear total i ches is considered oversize. Some airlines have exceptions for gold and ski equipent. Frontier lowered their weight limit to 40#. Cheapskates.

08-Nov-22
Never flown Frontier, but know that I never will now!

—jim

08-Nov-22
Just flew to AZ on United and back on American, $35 each way. As mentioned earlier Southwest is no fees if they fly to your destination. If they ask I usually say it’s golf clubs??

08-Nov-22
If they ask and you lie and say golf clubs s, sure hope they don't check.

Declare as gun o resize doesn't apply so just worry on weight

08-Nov-22
many times and never a surcharge

10-Nov-22
Lying to tsa is like lying at customs. Really dumb! Really really dumb.

11-Nov-22
Have flown to South Africa 6 times with SKB double bow case in Main Cabin, including 2021 and again a few weeks ago. Never been questioned on size but they do weigh them.

11-Nov-22
“Lying to tsa is like lying at customs. Really dumb! Really really dumb.” except TSA has nothing to do with checked baggage fees and size/weight restrictions. That’s arbitrary and completely up to the airline employee working the counter. Luckily I’m able to fly Alaska Airlines for 99% of my travel needs and never have any issues ever.

11-Nov-22
Regress of who you lie to. Living to get a gun on a plane. Very not good

15-Nov-22
Many times I fly with bags that are oversized. It is rare to get hit with the fee. You got unlucky. That said it is happening more and more. My guess is it will not happen again. If it was a big airport you could have got back in line and tried to get a different person to check you in.

Several airlines now have 40# weight limits. In my gear notes for travel (hunting and other travel) I have a not to check bag weights. They are not increasing.......................

15-Nov-22
Your bowcase may get x-rayed... so don't lie about it's contents... unless you have an eagle feather or something like that in there... just sayin'.

15-Nov-22
Worth mentioning: I got called back to the TSA area after they inspected the contents of my bowcase and was severely chastised for having extremely dangerous flammable stuff in my bowcase. Inside my small tool box with a back up release, loop material, wax, etc. was a tube of Fletch-Tite... dangerous, dangerous Fletch-Tite. They read me the riot act and asked what I wanted them to do with it. I told them to throw it in the trash while they implied I would be added to some "list".

15-Nov-22
I can’t tell you the number of times that I have flown Delta with my SKB double case and had absolutely no issues. Just keep the weight under 50 pounds.

• Sitka Gear