sheds 10-Nov-22
Nomad 27-Nov-22
Nomad 27-Nov-22
Cheesehead Mike 27-Nov-22
RT 27-Nov-22
Murph 27-Nov-22
Cheesehead Mike 27-Nov-22
09-Nov-22
I’ve got a decent method down for my euro skulls now. I try to get the skull simmering as soon as possible after I’ve removed the bottom jaw, eyes and any easily removed extra meat. Once water comes to temp I simmer with a few squirts of Dawn for about an hour. Then I remove and use an electric pressure washer to remove undesirables. I’ll pop out the ear bones at this point too. I then change water and repeat. Normally after the second simmer it is clean less the ear canals and the nose cartilage. I try to simmer as least as possible but I seem to always have to do a third round to get the nose cartilage to let go. Do you all have similar results?

09-Nov-22
That is the exact method I’ve used for years. Finishing touch is some 40v hydrogen peroxide and sit in the sun for a few hours. Comes out clean and bright.

Key is not to boil. Simmer just under a boil.

09-Nov-22
I throw them in the bug box and have a cocktail. Work smarter, not harder. Ed F

09-Nov-22

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
I purchased a Sous Vide a few years ago. I place the skull in my put add some borax and let it sit for 36 hours. Remove and power wash. I then use a paste made of 40% peroxide solution and peroxide powder. Sit overnight wash and hang on the wall. Did this one this year

09-Nov-22
I toss the skull in with my chickens and let them peck away at the meat. ;)

09-Nov-22
Good stuff guys. I don't have access to bugs Ed, but all in for a few cocktails during the cook!

We've been adding in Rid-x with the dish soap/borax mix and that's been helping too.

09-Nov-22
Rid-X. Interesting, I’ve never heard of that. How does it help? I assume the 200 degree hot water would kill the bacteria?

09-Nov-22

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Pretty close to my method also except I use Dawn and borax. Sometimes a second round with fresh batch of water/Dawn/borax is needed. Like you said, you SIMMER, not boil it! Ive done 30 or so whitetails and my moose and bear from last year.

09-Nov-22

09-Nov-22

sheds's embedded Photo
sheds's embedded Photo
This is two boils I just did for my brother 2nd boil with borax, it’s a more natural look, if you want em real white I do the peroxide and magnesium chloride mix.

09-Nov-22

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Be sure to get the creme option!
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Be sure to get the creme option!
After cleaning I brush on this hair bleaching creme solution. I pour it into all the crevices, brain cavity and nasal passages. Let it set overnight and rinse off the next day or so. Allow to dry and youre done.

09-Nov-22
Yep, Sally Creme is the bomb. Add a tablespoon or so of Quick White powder and the two together thicken and expand to push into cracks, etc.

09-Nov-22

sheds's embedded Photo
sheds's embedded Photo
Here’s a comparison, just borax on right, peroxide and magnesium chloride on left.

09-Nov-22

09-Nov-22
I use the Sally stuff too. I normally wrap in Saran Wrap and leave in the sun for a few days.

10-Nov-22

smarba's embedded Photo
Skull with layer of bone removed
smarba's embedded Photo
Skull with layer of bone removed
smarba's embedded Photo
Skull without the layer removed
smarba's embedded Photo
Skull without the layer removed
There is an area at the rear of nasal cavity that you can use a screwdriver/needle nose pliers to break out a thin layer of bones that gets you into a cavity filled with soft tissue and blood. This allows you to clean all that out and helps reduce smell and oily staining months/years at the forehead. Big animals like elk have a huge amount of soft tissue that you can get out of there.

10-Nov-22
Tracker, What temp do you set the sous vide cooker at?

10-Nov-22
The best way, and the way I currently use, is with a heater. You can use an aquarium heater, but that requires getting the heater yucky, and some heaters require you to override their temperature controls, which seems unsafe to me, so I used a thing called a Pail Heater. It wraps around the outside of a 5gal bucket, and has a built in thermostat. The thermostat is in Celsius, so you’ll have to do conversions. The heater is a bit pricey ($50-60), but they last a very long time (I never had one burn out) and work very well. Ideally you want the temperature anywhere between 80-115F (26.6-46C) If you forget that the thermostat is in Celcius and accidentally set it to 80-115C you will melt your bucket and potentially start a fire. At 115F (46C) the bacteria will not be killed, and the bones will not be damaged, Just know to not boil or simmer skulls

10-Nov-22

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo
I use an electric roaster oven. I just boil the water before I put it in the roaster.

10-Nov-22

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
In all seriousness, if you really want to display your trophy for long lasting life, ante up and take it to someone that knows what the hell he’s doing and doesn’t boil the shit out of it.

He’ll preserve all the fragile nose bones and teeth.

10-Nov-22
Baking soda in the simmer pot will turn the meat almost to a gel, it comes off easier.

10-Nov-22
That is the problem Brad, I don’t know anyone local that does them. I’ve got it pretty nailed down now and am really happy with how mine are turning out.

10-Nov-22
Check out Whitebone Creations on YouTube. He has tones of videos on euros. Similar to your process.

10-Nov-22

sheds's embedded Photo
sheds's embedded Photo
Did my first one a whitetail in 1996, done a bunch over the years just do whatever works best for you I say trial and error, They are all unique.

27-Nov-22
TTT

27-Nov-22
TTT

27-Nov-22

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
No peroxide, just Dawn and A&H laundry soda
No peroxide, just Dawn and A&H laundry soda
I've done a bunch of them and used to use Dawn and Borax but I switched to Dawn and Arm & Hammer laundry soda. I think it works better.

27-Nov-22
Anyone ever use Mop and Glow to seal them when you're done? I've done about a dozen of my own and learned this year's ago. Supposedly keeps them white longer. I have a couple from a Taxi prior to me doing my own and they are yellow, I have to redo them soon.

27-Nov-22
The yellow is oil left in the bone as someone mentioned white one creations turned me onto aqua silk a pool treatment that 40v is only like 12% peroxide aqua silk is 26% add a few cups to your water after cleaning and it draws all that oil out and no paste needed to paint on later the mop and glo is excellent seals the bone so if you get fly shit on the skull easier removed and on horned animals like pronghorn seals the black horn and gives it a dark gloss look

27-Nov-22
The elk skull I posted above has Mop & Glow on it.

• Sitka Gear