Missouribreaks 13-Nov-22
WV Mountaineer 13-Nov-22
BoggsBowhunts 13-Nov-22
Bou'bound 13-Nov-22
BoggsBowhunts 14-Nov-22
APauls 14-Nov-22
12-Nov-22
Here’s a hypothetical for y’all…

You get out of your night class at 9:30pm, the next morning is the day before rifle season and the forecast is perfect. Northern wind pushing through a 35 degree morning, the perfect last stand before MO rifle season starts.

You get home at 10:30 anxious to make one last Alamo stand before the orange army drastically changes the deer behavior at the least. You walk to your deer stand and halfway down the draw you see 8-9 piles of corn. In Missouri. Whenever you’re the only one hunting on this property.

Hypothetically, this character immediately called the poaching tip line. Have the officers all the information and told them to stake the place out for rifle season - the property is illegal for ten days following the removal of the bait anyway.

An hour later a family member who knew you’d be out of town for the weekend of rifle season calls your dad to ask if you’re hunting in there and gets all nervous. Gives the excuse that they put corn and cameras out there to see if they could get a picture of one since nobody would be in there and the deer might only pop up for a day or two.

You call the family member who isn’t allowed to hunt there and they try laughing it off and ask why you called the conservation department. You reply that you don’t want any of your deer that you’ve hunted legally all season getting shit by livestock, but they continue to try to laugh it off and make excuses about why what they did wasn’t all that bad.

NOTE: they never once apologized or acted like what they did was wrong, and this is a family member who you see at nearly every family gathering, and who also farms in a town of 600, where you guys see each other regularly.

In this hypothetical situation, what would you do to ensure that this family member knows what they did was wrong and you’re not standing for it?

I’m thinking that I would just bring up the topic of hunting ethics at the next get together, especially if the topic of hunting gets brought up, and mention how the peak of the rut got ruined on my property because I wasn’t allowed to hunt for ten days.

Also note: this family member has access to well over 1000 acres of hunting ground, including 4-5 designated hunting leases in the area; it wasn’t like they just didn’t have a place to hunt.

12-Nov-22
He hunted the property in years prior, before you hypothetically got out of the service and moved onto the property, having a conversation with him specifically about how you would be hunting it, and him telling you he wouldn’t be hunting it right before you went on a bear hunt a couple weeks ago…. Hypothetically…

As much as I’d want to tell him off in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, how would you guys approach maintaining family relations while also enforcing your view point.

Don’t turn this into a baiting ethics thread; the fact is, it’s illegal in Missouri and against my hunting ethics and morality code regardless, and he knows this

12-Nov-22
Whitetail wars. Brings out the worst in some. One of the reasons I've lost interest in chasing big bucks. Still enjoy hunting them, just don't get worked up about it anymore.

Sorry your hunt got ruined by one idiot.

12-Nov-22
Tell him man to man, that he ruined your hunting. Tell him if you find another kernel of corn, you’ll call DNR on him and have him ticketed. Do this with a bit of tact, but also don’t let him squirm and laugh it off. Make sure he knows you’re serious and that isn’t your style of hunting. Ask him to respect your area and the way you hunt. All hypothetically speaking of course. :)

If that doesn’t work, smack him across the face with a turkey leg and tell everyone at dinner what he did. :)

12-Nov-22
Hypothetically I think you have to work it out.

Nobody on here probably knows your family off the dynamics associated with it.

12-Nov-22
EmbryOklahoma for the win.

12-Nov-22
Embryo IS right on and exactly what I was planning on allegedly doing in this hypothetical situation ;) just wanted some reassurance

I went up north today and shot a 145ish 10 pointer, so my season is done for 10 days anyway until rifle closes, since you can’t use your archery tag during rifle and my rifle tag is notched. Less harm done, but the precedent remains.

12-Nov-22
I’m not a hypothetical kind of guy. And, in an instance like you’ve described, I wouldn’t have much tact either. That probably isn’t a good thing.

But, I’d not wait till thanksgiving dinner to look that guy in the eye. I’d be pretty direct in telling him what he did was wrong. And, to stay away from where I’m hunting. Especially dumping corn out.

Deer in the Midwest must be different then the deer here. I have no moral objections against baiting. And other then boring me to death watching corn, it doesn’t work on older deer here. It has the opposite affect. It educates them.

The best way I know to turn a big buck nocturnal in these parts is dumping bait on the ground. And, I’ve got enough trail cam pics and experience to say that confidently. That’s why I’d be so mad about this if it were me.

To each his own. But, you’ll never get a chance to tell him how you feel unless you tell him how you feel.

12-Nov-22
"To each his own. But, you’ll never get a chance to tell him how you feel unless you tell him how you feel." X2

Tough spot and sorry this happened. I'm not a beat around the bush type of person so I'd square it away with him, face to face quickly. If you're worried about ruining your relationship with him because he's your kin, you're better off without him if he gets bent at you for calling him out. Just because someone is your kin doesn't give them a pass to do shady things in my opinion.

All hypothetically speaking of course.

12-Nov-22
Nobody on this entire thread has made a bad point yet. I’m definitely letting him know how I feel the next time I see him, whether that be tomorrow or thanksgiving. I’ve been hunting these bucks all year legally, obviously, And had been waiting until the past week to even start sitting to make sure I had their patterns near perfect. All that is launched out the window, yes, some of that has to do with rifle season opening, but putting something artificial in front of them to alter their natural movements within 150 yards of where my stand is suuuuuure doesn’t help things. I’ll likely back out and not even hunt until early December to wait for them to relax back from this and rifle season both. If said family member asks me if I’ve been hunting I’ll say something to the effect of “no, their movements have been all out of wack since that Friday before gun season so I haven’t even been in there, I’m waiting until they go back to the patterns I had been tracking all season long”

If he says anything along the lines of “you should’ve just went ahead and hunted it” I’ll say something along the lines of “absolutely not, if I would’ve shot a deer over that then not only would I not have felt right at all about that specific deer, but the ethics of every deer I’ve ever shot would’ve been in question. Once a guy poaches there ain’t nothing he can do to restore his trust when it comes to hunting and I care too much about that to ruin it over a single deer”

12-Nov-22
"You call the family member who isn’t allowed to hunt there and they try laughing it off and ask why you called the conservation department. You reply that you don’t want any of your deer that you’ve hunted legally all season getting shit by livestock, but they continue to try to laugh it off and make excuses about why what they did wasn’t all that bad."

It sounds like you have already had the conversation. What am I missing. Have you talked to the dude or not. What is all the planning if you have already done it as noted above. Is that the same guy?

12-Nov-22
Yes, same guy. The initial conversation has already been had, yes. Just feeling out what you all would do moving forward if you were in this situation. There’s a fine line between acting like a total d*ck and ruining family and local relations, and just acting like nothing ever happened. Just getting a feel for where along that spectrum most of y’all would fall since most of you guys seem to have your heads on straight…. Most of ya ;)

Never been in this situation before, and obviously every person and family is different, just kindve getting a feel for things

12-Nov-22
Maybe it's just me but when someone does something underhanded like this, I feel they are likely doing other things, not hunting related, that are underhanded, too. I would never trust him.

12-Nov-22
^^^^This^^^^

12-Nov-22
Midwest, you’re certainly not alone in that thought…

12-Nov-22
I expect I would have to tell him straight out how I felt and family relations be damned. I don’t know how close kin y’all are, but that wouldn’t make any difference. I had a brother I didn’t even speak to for the last ten years or so of his life. I don’t suffer dickheads gladly.

12-Nov-22
Fueding with family members over a deer hunting spot….wow. We can do better.

Matt

12-Nov-22
Grey Ghost, feuding with family members is what I’m trying to avoid. Like I said, there’s a fine line between feuding with family over hunting spots, and just letting somebody walk all over you and completely ruin what you’ve been working towards all year. I want to make it known I don’t support those actions at all and have caught him doing something very immoral while also maintaining good relations, unless he does something else.

You can view it as just getting mad over a hunting spot, but it takes a hell of a lot of disrespect to slip in on somebody while they’re away for three days and try to bait and shoot a deer out from under them. A complete disregard for a family members pursuit of their passion is arguably worse than doing it to some random person. He knows how much hunting means to me but wanted to ruin it for me anyway. He ain’t blood, just by marriage.

It takes a lot to get me heated up, but showing absolute complete disregard for somebody to selfishly (and VERY illegally) poach a deer out from under them is something that will get me hot in a hurry.

13-Nov-22
Let’s see the buck!

13-Nov-22

BoggsBowhunts's embedded Photo
I hate to post a rifle deer on Bowsite, but here ya go Nick!

13-Nov-22
I’d like to thank this deer was a gift from above for doing the right thing by backing out and reporting the Friday incident to MDC.

The thing about following your moral compass even when it significantly inconveniences you, is I’ve noticed that it brings with it many gifts :) Karma, if that’s what you wanna call it, definitely works both ways!

13-Nov-22
Depends how well you know the idiot. We can't pick our relatives but a wildlife conservation rule violator is no good for you and the hunter's cause.

Tell him face to face to knock it off as you don't want to be ticketed for hunting over bait, tell him if he does it again you will tell grandma and she will have him go out there and pick up his crap, right after Thanksgiving dinner.

Everyone has a family member or someone in the circle of in-laws and outlaws like this, better to point out their shortcomings in private and if they don't amend their ways then in a public, enforcement-based forum. There are people in my family I won't hunt with due to prior transgressions or this landowner behavior that wild game is theirs. It is not, it is a public resource, it's time they understand that. Again I don't hunt with certain people on their property anymore because of the possibility of being drawn into an illegal situation or looked down upon for shooting "one of their deer." Worse yet you could lose equipment (like an heirloom weapon)and/or your hunting privileges due to that kind of stupidity. It ain't worth it, I hunt public land instead.

13-Nov-22
TonyBear is right on. One of the things I hammered into my sons’ heads was to choose the right companions. When Mr. Green Jeans shows up, he casts a net. Everyone is caught in that net whether a willing participant or not. Same thing with other law enforcement. Better to choose companions that respect the laws that most of us live with.

13-Nov-22
He Tell him man to man, that he ruined your hunting. Tell him if you find another kernel of corn, you’ll call DNR on him and have him ticketed. Do this with a bit of tact, but also don’t let him squirm and laugh it off. Make sure he knows you’re serious and that isn’t your style of hunting. Ask him to respect your area and the way you hunt. All hypothetically speaking of course. :) If that doesn’t work, smack him across the face with a turkey leg and tell everyone at dinner what he did. He did not have permission & in my view did many wrongs.. So I agree with this above post. Dirt bags don't usually change their way's.

13-Nov-22
My first thought was along the lines of Midwest - if he's doing this to his "kin" then yes, he most certainly deserves a drumstick stuck up his nose. He did the wrong - not you. I would go face to face with him - I don't go looking for conflict, but neither do I back away from it.

I would make certain the wardens know the entire story - names, address's, etc., and request they do an "informational" report. (With no contact with the dumbass!!!)

If he does this once - will he do it again? I think absolutely!!!!!!!!..... In my opinion it comes down to accountability! Just take a look at what's going on in this country - sooooo many morons getting away with doing all kinds of things and not being held accountable.

13-Nov-22
Tuff one man.. I’ve lost some friends over the yrs over whitetails and all my fault, I take my hunting probably more serious than anyone you know or have ever met !! BUT in the grand scheme of things it’s just a deer and he’s family, don’t forget that before you open your mouth to much...looks like you have already had a very blessed season mabye take this guy that doesn’t know how to shoot one without corn, and show him how to setup on a scrape line or downwind of the does bedrooms..just my advice from Virginia goodluck whatever you decide !

13-Nov-22
I would simply move on. In the big picture nothing important here, and deer hunting is not real important.

13-Nov-22
Great buck! He’s going to go higher then 145ish unless the picture makes him look quite a bit bigger then he actually is.

13-Nov-22
I try to always estimate them low that way I’m not surprised in the wrong way when I put the tape to them ;)

13-Nov-22
Family. We talking family. Not deer. Not hunting. Not the sport you bleed for. Not the sport you die for. It’s family. Family. We talking family. Let’s Not talk about deer let’s Talk about what matters. Family. Family. We talking family man

14-Nov-22
WV, taped him this morning at 161 6/8…. Damn do I love being wrong :)

14-Nov-22
Congrats on a giant Chase!

Your situation sure is a tough one. No one here can speak to the family dynamics and how important the relationship and the potential spin off damage is to you. It's easy to be a 1000 miles away and say well this hypothetical relative sounds like trash and so what's a relationship with him anyways?!?! Sounds to me like you've got your priorities straight and the wisdom to make a good call on this one. You don't sidestep it, and it's a massive strike one. Very interesting that with that much land to hunt he's horning in on your piece. I mean to say that he is not trustworthy is understating the situation and I would never ever let him know my future plans and always keep him guessing for sure.

• Sitka Gear